Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/25 ml Gameday: Rozier in Greenville

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Jimmy Serrano) vs. Durham (Chris Seddon) [6:05pm]
EL: Portland (Jose Vaquedano) @ Altoona (Josh Shortslef) [6:35pm]
CL: Wilmington (Andrew Dobies) @ Potomac (Jason Norderum) [7:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (Michael Rozier) vs. Kannapolis (Ricky Brooks) [7:05pm]

Notes: Jeremy West (Portland) has reached base in 14 consecutive games.

Jeff Natale (Greenville) has reached base in every game he has played this season (16 consecutive).

Clay Buchholz (Greenville) was placed on the DL with a strained Oblique. Expected to miss at least 2 starts.

-Brandon

#2 Quintanariffic

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

Clay Buchholz (Greenville) was placed on the DL with a strained Oblique. Expected to miss at least 2 starts.

-Brandon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's lousy he's on the DL, but with the lack of info heretofore, I'm just relieved it wasn't an arm problem.

#3 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7924 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Well, and I ask this question in complete ignorance, but- to what extent could an oblique strain suggest shoulder/ elbow issues? In other words, could some other vague injury force him to overcompensate, etc?

That may be a totally stupid question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

#4 dnramo

• 3669 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

Well, and I ask this question in complete ignorance, but- to what extent could an oblique strain suggest shoulder/ elbow issues?  In other words, could some other vague injury force him to overcompensate, etc?

That may be a totally stupid question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's any kind of serious oblique strain (good chance that it is if he's DLed) it'd hurt him to breathe much less throw. I doubt he threw a pitch after the strain, so the risk of compensatory/cascade injury would be pretty low.

#5 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7924 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

If it's any kind of serious oblique strain (good chance that it is if he's DLed) it'd hurt him to breathe much less throw. I doubt he threw a pitch after the strain, so the risk of compensatory/cascade injury would be pretty low.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there any chance it could be the opposite, though? Maybe a dead-arm/ sore shoulder thing he felt compelled to work through that manifests itself initially as such?

Again, don't even know if that's possible, but I was just thinking out loud.

#6 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Pawtucket Tonight: A chance of showers before midnight. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 36. Northwest wind between 6 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Altoona Tonight: A chance of showers, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 31. North wind between 7 and 10 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Potomac Tonight: Periods of showers, mainly between 8pm and 11pm. Low around 42. North wind between 8 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Greenville Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. West wind between 5 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

#7 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

PAWSOX PLAYER MOVES – The PawSox today added catcher Corky Miller to their roster (he was signed by the Red Sox as a free agent on Sunday) and placed catcher Ken Huckaby on the 7-day disabled list (retroactive to April 22) with a right hand injury suffered when he was hit by a backswing during a game in Charlotte one week ago (April 18).

Miller, 30, went to spring training with Seattle but began the year with Triple-A Tacoma and was 2-for-6 in 2 games before being released on April 16. The 6-1, 246 lbs. catcher has played parts of five seasons in the Major Leagues with Cincinnati (2001-04) and Minnesota (2005) hitting .193 in 88 games. He played in 59 games with Rochester (AAA-Minnesota) last season hitting .229 with 11 HR & 25 RBI. He also spent time with Louisville (AAA-Reds) from 2001-04 and was named the International League’s Best Defensive Catcher by league managers in 2003.

#8 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Jeff Corsaletti (Wilmington) has reached base in every game he has played this season (17 consecutive).

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

Bubba Bell playing RF for Greenville tonight.

Edited by SoxScout, 25 April 2006 - 08:04 PM.

#10 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Bubba Bell playing RF for Greenville tonight.

Portland's in a rain delay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to guess that Soto went on the DL. He was pulled from the game two nights ago and did not play last night.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Of course the Greenville radio guys made no mention of why Bell was playing.. but he did make a good running catch in the top of the first and then leadoff the bottom half of the inning with a single.

#12 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

ProspecTrax

Dustin Pedroia- 0/3

Jacoby Ellsbury- 0/2 (0 for his last 10 with 2 BB. Down below .300.)
Jeff Corsaletti- 0/0, 2 BB
The Retriever- 3 IP, H, 0 ER, 2/1 K/BB, 4/3 GB/FB

Jeff Natale- 0/0, BB
Mike Rozier- 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2/0 K/BB, 3/1 GB/FB

Edited by templeUsox, 25 April 2006 - 06:56 PM.

#13 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Dobies just gave up a three-run homer.

Rocks come back with five two-out runs - three walks, a single and two doubles

Ellsbury stole his 7th base.

Corsaletti has three walks and has now reached base in all 18 games.

Rocks lead 6-3, mid 7th

Edited by amfox1, 25 April 2006 - 08:08 PM.

#14 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Rozier gives up five runs in the third inning, but only one earned.

He gives up two more earned runs in the fourth before being yanked for John Barnes.

Final line - 3.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 3 ER, 4 K, 2 HR

John Barnes (outfielder converted to knuckleballer) just gave up a solo bomb.

Drive tied 8-8, top 7th

Edited by amfox1, 25 April 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#15 amfox1

• 3363 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

PawSox lose 4-0.

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

West extends his on base streak to 15 games as the Sea Dogs get underway.

#17 semsox

• 739 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

Wow, color me disappointed with Rozier's performance so far this year. I really thought this year might be the turning point where he begins to put it together...

#18 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3673 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

Scouting director David Chadd has worked hard with the Epstein organization to reconstruct what had become a shallow farm system. The initial Instructional League assignment for 6-foot-5, 18-year-old lefty Mike Rozier -- to whom they gave $1.55 million -- was beyond their imagination.

And then Rozier discovered how much food $1.5 million could buy.

Edited by Steve Dillard, 25 April 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#19 ese718xc

• 345 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

Scouting director David Chadd has worked hard with the Epstein organization to reconstruct what had become a shallow farm system. The initial Instructional League assignment for 6-foot-5, 18-year-old lefty Mike Rozier -- to whom they gave $1.55 million -- was beyond their imagination.

And then Rozier discovered how much food $1.5 million could buy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I felt the same way, but unfortunately the only thing he's putting together is a reuben on rye.

Hopefully the Sox can get him back on a conditioning program, and get him back into some kind of shape. He's still a young kid, so it's not like he can't lose the weight. I do wonder whether he just pigged out all winter, or whether he was just trying to bulk up, and went about it all wrong (i.e. too many protein shakes, and not enough lifting).

He pitched well in his first 2 innings and then fell apart. So it may be merely a conditioning issue.

#20 dnramo

• 3669 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

Is there any chance it could be the opposite, though?  Maybe a dead-arm/ sore shoulder thing he felt compelled to work through that manifests itself initially as such?

Again, don't even know if that's possible, but I was just thinking out loud.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've strained my lat a couple times and had some other upper back muscle strains ("auxiliary muscles of respiration") -- it hurts to breathe. It's just not the kind of thing you can work through because it hurts just as badly to use muscles near the ones that are injured. He could have overworked his lat trying to compensate for shoulder or elbow soreness, but lat strains are pretty common, especially early in a season.

#21 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:29 AM

Pawtucket loses to Durham, 4-0.

Jimmy Serrano went 7 innings for the Pawsox, giving up 8 hits and 2 walks, allowing 3 runs while striking out 8. Tim Bausher went the final 2 innings, giving up a hit, a walk and a HBP, allowing a run while striking out one.

Tyler Minges and Rod Nye led the offense, each going 2/4; Minges with a double. Hee-Seop Choi went 1/3 with a double and a walk. Adam Stern went 1/4. And, as one can expect in a shutout loss... that was it.

Dustin Pedroia, Jeff Bailey, and Trent Durrington each went 0/4. Alejandro Machado and the newest Pawsox, Corky Miller, each went 0/3.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#22 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

Portland loses to Altoona, 5-4 in 11 innings.

Jose Vaquedano went the first 5 innings, giving up a HR and 2 walks, allowing a run while striking out 4 and throwing a WP. Barry Hertzler went the next 2 innings, giving up a hit and a walk, striking out one. Edgar Martinez pitched a nearly perfect 8th inning (walking one)... and then, perhaps, had his worst inning of his pitching career. In the 9th, Edgar gave up a single, a HR, a ground out, another HR, a foul pop and a K. Final Line: BS, 2 IP, 3 H (2 HR), 1 BB, 3 R, 1 K. Kevin Frederick pitched the 10th inning giving up a hit, a walk and a WP... but not allowing a run. Unfortunately, in the 11th, Kevin gave up 3 consecutive singles and allowed the winning run.

[Portland's pen has been really good. A game like this is going to happen, unfortunately]

David Bacani led the offense, going 2/4 with his first HR of the year (in the 9th inning). Luis Jimenez went 1/3 with a walk and his 2nd HR of the year (also in the 9th... back to back with Bacani). Dusty Brown and Zach Borowiak each went 1/4. Jeremy West went 1/5. Chad Spann went 0/3 with a walk. Matt Van der Bosch, Brandon Moss and David Murphy each went 0/5.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#23 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:45 AM

Wilmington defeats Potomac, 6-3.

Andrew Dobies went the first 6 innings, giving up 5 hits (1 HR) and 3 walks, allowing 3 runs while striking out 2. Kyle Jackson pitched the final 3 innings, giving up a walk and striking out 3.

Andrew Pinckney led the offense, going 2/5. Ian Bladergroen went 1/3 with a double, a walk and a HBP. Dominic Ramos went 1/3 with a double and a HBP. John Otness and Bryan Pritz each went 1/4, Otness with a walk. Claudio Arias went 1/5 with a double. Jeff Corsaletti went 0/1 with 4 walks. Jacoby Ellsbury went 0/3 with a walk, a HBP and a SB. Iggy Suarez went 0/4.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#24 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:52 AM

Greenville loses a slugfest to Kannapolis, 10-8.

Mike Rozier went the first 3 2/3 innings, giving up 9 hits (2 HRs) and 7 runs (3 earned), striking out 4 while balking once and throwing a WP. John Barnes went the next 4 1/3 innings, giving up 3 hits and 2 runs (on 2 solo HRs). John struck out 2 and Hit a batter. JT Zink pitched the final inning, giving up a solo HR and striking out 2.

Bubba Bell and Jay Johnson led the offense, each going 2/5; Bell with a double and a SB, Johnson with 2. Chuck Jeroloman went 1/3 with a double and 2 walks. Yahmed Yema went 1/4 with a double and a sacrifice, Logan Sorenson went 1/4 with a double and a walk. Mark Wagner went 1/4. Christian Lara went 0/3 with a walk and a SB. Jeff Natale went 0/4 with a walk. Chris Turner went 0/5.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#25 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17354 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:17 AM

Pawsox Stories:

Game Story

The PawSox' offense couldn't get much going. After two hits in the first inning, they didn't get a runner past second base the rest of the way.

"You just have to tip your cap to the opposition sometimes. They shut us down," said Pawtucket manager Ron Johnson. Seddon "threw the ball good. Very impressive."

Seadog Stories:

Seadogs

That 4-1 advantage was short-lived, however, as the Curve, who had only two hits entering the ninth, tied the score against closer Edgar Martinez, who gave up a two-run homer to Adam Boeve and a tying solo shot to Roneberg. It was Roneberg's first start since being sidelined by back problems in spring training.

"I'm very surprised the way the ball carries here, especially when you get it up in the air," Claus said. "I didn't think home runs were going to be a factor tonight, but they ended up changing the game.

"You've got to give their hitters credit. They got some fastballs out over the plate, up in the zone, and they put good swings on them."

(Yes, that would be former Seadog Brett Ronenberg)

Blue Rocks Stories:

Blue Rocks

Drive Stories:

Game Story

"I think the game was lost in the (third) when we gave up five runs, then two more in the fourth," said Greenville manager Luis Alicea. "I think, if we had shut them down or held them to one or two runs, they probably wouldn't have been as aggressive as they were. But they can swing the bats."

-Brandon