Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

C's 2006 Off-Season Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1575 replies to this topic

#101 Devizier

• SoSH Member

• 5,532 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Denver will be right at the luxury tax threshold if they re-sign Nene and if they can dump K-Mart i don't doubt that this will be the plan.  An expiring contract would be much more valuable than a Malik Rose and they certainly need a perimeter shooter. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do think, though, that the Knicks are going to be a bit more leery about taking on long term contracts given all the negative publicity this season, so from their end it doesn't make sense to unload an expiring contract to pick up a big risk in Martin. Obviously the two sides will have to come to an agreement of some sorts. Either way, I can see Richardson or Crawford being involved.

#102 BostonFan23

• Randy Hickey

• 1,671 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

How about a KMart for Bucker/Francis type of deal?

It works under RealGM.

Curry
Martin
Richardson
Crawford
Marbury

Camby
Nene
Anthony
Francis
Miller

or

Martin/Patterson for Francis/Richardson?

Curry / James
Martin / Frye
Rose / Lee
Crawford / Patterson
Marbury / Robinson

Camby / Elson
Nene / Evans
Anthony / Najera
Richardson / Johnson
Francis / Boykins

#103 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

OK, well if RealGM was wrong, then I would target Murphy and Bosh this summer. Make hard pushes for both. I would offer a combination such as Raef and either Jefferson or Allen and our #1 this year. But don't include Green in the package.

I think we would be able to make ONE of those trade possibilities work, if we wanted it bad enough.

#104 osuceltic

• 1,003 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

OK, well if RealGM was wrong, then I would target Murphy and Bosh this summer. Make hard pushes for both. I would offer a combination such as Raef and either Jefferson or Allen and our #1 this year. But don't include Green in the package.

I think we would be able to make ONE of those trade possibilities work, if we wanted it bad enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bosh isn't going anywhere and Murphy doesn't interest me. O'Neal is playing his way off the market, and Garnett never was on the market. Where does that leave us for available frontcourt studs? Boozer, K-Mart (and even I am backing off the more I read about this) ... Gasol? If they get swept, is there any chance Memphis retools? How about Lamar Odom?

I hope Ainge is very careful. It's one thing to trade a Jefferson or Green for someone like O'Neal or Bosh. It's another to do it for someone like Boozer, who bought his hamstrings from Ken Griffey Junior. You have to be smart. This isn't the only window. You never know who will be there at the trade deadline or the following summer. You never know how Jefferson will come back from an embarrassing season. If you try to force something that isn't there, you end up making a mistake that can set you back for years.

#105 DourDoerr

• 726 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

If you try to force something that isn't there, you end up making a mistake that can set you back for years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me beat everyone to this - Walker for LaFrentz? A very costly lesson and one I don't think Ainge is too eager to repeat. I'd guess he's going to sit tight on AJ unless a Bosh, O'Neal deal falls into his lap, as he should. Jefferson's got the talent, he's young, his only question is his desire and Danny has probably the best window into that. Let's hope he's right, as this is a huge gamble...

#106 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,693 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

I hope Ainge is very careful. It's one thing to trade a Jefferson or Green for someone like O'Neal or Bosh. It's another to do it for someone like Boozer, who bought his hamstrings from Ken Griffey Junior. You have to be smart.

I totally agree with this...but I think this misses the reality, which is that you aren't going to get a guy like O'Neal or Bosh. They won't be on the market, and if they are...it will take more than the C's have to offer. Guys like Martin, Boozer, etc. all have issues, of course. But that's why they are avail, presumably for a reasonable package (talent wise at least). Every move is a gamble, but is the potential payoff worth it?

There have been a lot of trades made in recent NBA history of players who were considered to be question marks. Rasheed Wallace, Jason Kidd, and Vince Carter are a few that come to mind that worked out.

There's also a chance that if you hold on to a guy like Jefferson for another year and he plays as he did this year, his value is gone. I guess you have to balance that with his potential value if he plays like many think he can.

#107 Devizier

• SoSH Member

• 5,532 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

There have been a lot of trades made in recent NBA history of players who were considered to be question marks. Rasheed Wallace, Jason Kidd, and Vince Carter are a few that come to mind that worked out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of those three, only Kidd fetched any player of value, and that player (Marbury) had even bigger question marks. The Raptors only got a couple of players who refused to play for them (fucktards Eric Williams and Alonzo Mourning), a player who was completely toast (Aaron Williams) and two late first rounders for Carter. The Pistons sent a whole lot of nothing (Hunter, Atkins, Sura, Rebraca) to get Wallace and Mike James. Jefferson and Lafrentz, the kind of package you'd need to match salary, are actually worth considerably more than those packages. None of those guys had any "upside" whatsoever.

If the Celtics (or any other team) are going to inquire into Martin or Boozer, they should bring a box of condoms, because the Jazz or the Nuggets are over the table when it comes to dealing those guys. I strongly suspect that Martin has to be dealt, but the Jazz might hold on to Boozer when they realize how screwed they are.

Edited by Devizier, 30 April 2006 - 11:52 AM.

#108 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

No offense, but if you told the Raptors they could trade Bosh for a package of Raef, Jefferson and Sheldon Williams (or Randy Foye, or whoever) for Bosh and the corpse of Alvin Williams, I don't think they could just say no.

Think about it, the Raptors don't have a player like Pierce to build around. Nor do they have a great dearth of talent. With the above trade they would return a starting lineup of Mike James, Brandon Roy, Charlie Villanueva, Al Jefferson and Raef. Off the bench they would have a second unit of Jose Calderon, Morris Peterson, Matt Bonner, Shelden Williams and Pape Sow.

Meanwhile the Celtics would return a starting five of West, Pierce, Wally, Bosh and Perkins. The second unit would require a veteran point guard and viable backup center to go along with Green, Allen and Gomes.

#109 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,693 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:17 AM

How would Bosh for Jefferson and Raef make the Raptors better now or in the future? How does it help them sell tickets?

Bosh is their franchise player, such a trade severely weakens an already lousy team while not really doing much of anything...if Bosh was 32, I could see it. But he's 22 years old and averaged 23 pts / 9 rpg and doesn't have any off the court stuff I know about.

I don't recall a player like Bosh being traded recently, and not for a package like Raef / Jefferson.

#110 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,594 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

No offense, but if you told the Raptors they could trade Bosh for a package of Raef, Jefferson and Sheldon Williams (or Randy Foye, or whoever) for Bosh and the corpse of Alvin Williams, I don't think they could just say no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that they would just say no.....maybe a little laughter, some chuckles and the phone slamming down really hard on Ainge, but not just no. Bosh is the Raptors meal ticket and isn't going to be moved for 3-years of Raef's seven-figure contract and two other unproven players.

EDIT: Frickin Rudy, quickest trigger finger since Gerald Paddio!

Edited by HomeRunBaker, 01 May 2006 - 08:22 AM.

#111 Eric Fernsten's Disco Mustache

• 285 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

Think about it, the Raptors don't have a player like Pierce to build around.

You're right, the Raptors don't have a player like Pierce to build around; they have a better player to build around than Pierce. Like Paul, Bosh was an All Star reserve last year. Unlike Pierce he's a post player, which is more valuable than a swing man, and only 22 years old.

If the Celtics could trade Pierce for Bosh straight up you do it in a heartbeat. Both are about to sign max-deal, long-term extensions. The difference is that in 4 years Bosh should be hitting his prime and Pierce will likely be in solid decline.

#112 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

Bosh might seem untouchable. But look back on how many untouchables have been traded over the history of the NBA. The trick is to find a way to pry him loose. Who else can we get involved.

#113 sptguy33

• 1,104 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

The important thing is that our coach has been killing himself pouring over game tapes from last season, figuring out how to make the young players better and studying tape of draft picks with Danny every day back in the Celtic offices.

Oh, wait, he's not doing any of that - it would interfere with his TNT workload. Plus, he moved back to Orlando right after the season ended. Scratch all of that.

#114 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,339 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:38 PM

The important thing is that our coach has been killing himself pouring over game tapes from last season, figuring out how to make the young players better and studying tape of draft picks with Danny every day back in the Celtic offices.

Oh, wait, he's not doing any of that - it would interfere with his TNT workload. Plus, he moved back to Orlando right after the season ended. Scratch all of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, is that what coaches normally do right after they've been eliminated? I always figured they took a few weeks off to get away from basketball and recharge the batteries. Looks like Rivers is spending some time with family and makign some extra cash analyzing the playoffs that with a miracle here and there his team might participate in next year. Unless you have facts that suggest this is abnormal behavior for an NBA coach after the season has ended you might want to keep those thoughts to yourself. I mean what on earth is your problem with this guy?

Edited by Rocco Graziosa, 01 May 2006 - 08:40 PM.

#115 AcroBrat

• 714 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

Uh, is that what coaches normally do right after they've been eliminated?  I always figured they took a few weeks off to get away from basketball and recharge the batteries.  Looks like Rivers is spending some time with family and makign some extra cash analyzing the playoffs that  with a miracle here and there his team might participate in next year.  Unless you have facts that suggest this is abnormal behavior for an NBA coach after the season has ended you might want to keep those thoughts to yourself.  I mean what on earth is your problem with this guy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's a different sport, but Bill Belichick impressed the hell out of me when he said (paraphrasing) that the biggest problem with going deep in the playoffs is you fall so far behind in your offseason preparation.

There is a lot of work ahead of this team to get ready for next year, but I'm not sure what Doc can do, or if he'll even be here. It would be nice to see some signs of commitment from him.

#116 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,594 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Wow, what a joke some of these comments have been! A football team has 200 offensive plays from 30 different sets and the offseason is the time to tweak your offensive system to take advantage of your personnel, scouting reports, etc.......oh, and then there is the defense. It is a 15-hour/day job during the season and is cut down some in the offseason.

Basketball OTOH, has a half dozen plays from a couple of different sets and each team runs generally the same stuff. There is absolutely zero for any coach to do this time of year until the pre-draft workouts begin except get cheap shots taken at them while wondering if his GM will once again replace two more of his starters with a couple of FA who will have nice careers in Uraguay.

Edited by HomeRunBaker, 01 May 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#117 AcroBrat

• 714 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Wow, what a joke some of these comments have been!  A football team has 200 offensive plays from 30 different sets and the offseason is the time to tweak your offensive system to take advantage of your personnel, scouting reports, etc.......oh, and then there is the defense.  It is a 15-hour/day job during the season and is cut down some in the offseason.   

Basketball OTOH, has a half dozen plays from a couple of different sets and each team runs generally the same stuff.  There is absolutely zero for any coach to do this time of year until the pre-draft workouts begin except get cheap shots taken at them while wondering if his GM will once again replace two more of his starters with a couple of FA who will have nice careers in Uraguay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simmer down.

I prefaced my post by saying "I know it's a different sport" because it's pretty obvious that the analogy isn't 100 percent accurate. I was alluding to Belichick's obvious dedication. Ainge has shown similar dedication since he's been running things. Doc clearly has other priorities, and maybe that's ok, but, like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing some indication of his dedication to the franchise.

#118 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

What are your thoughts on the Celtics taking Tiago Splitter (should he be available) in this year's draft? I can't determine his true position some say he is best suited as a SF or PF, while others say his European club has developed him into a true center but by all accounts he is a smart, quick player with the potential to be above-average on both ends of the floor.

BTW 'Simmer Down' is one of the most annoying, overused phrases out there. The fact that arose out of a bad SNL sketch makes it twice as bad.

#119 sptguy33

• 1,104 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:20 AM

I was just trying to get everyone riled up - it's been awhile since we argued about anything. There is really nothing for an NBA coach to do until after the lottery drawing.

Although I do think Doc is a much better TV person than a coach - he's really good. i like him more in the studio than doing games.

#120 BGrif21125

• 4,605 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:42 AM

Maybe working the playoffs is good for Doc. Being forced to watch a bunch of playoff games where every team is playing with a shortened rotation might drill it into his head that the 12 man rotation doesn't work.

Sptguy, any good taunts hurled at Evans, or are LA fans too busy working the social scene to waste time coming up with good nutgrabbing jokes?

#121 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,594 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

I was just trying to get everyone riled up - it's been awhile since we argued about anything. There is really nothing for an NBA coach to do until after the lottery drawing.

Although I do think Doc is a much better TV person than a coach - he's really good. i like him more in the studio than doing games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya know, as i was laying in bed tossing and turning until 5:30am mumbling obscenities it occured to me that i could have been played. Damnit, am i that easy?

Congrats on the Clips! Where did you and Billy Crystal go for the post-game?

#122 Devizier

• SoSH Member

• 5,532 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

BTW 'Simmer Down' is one of the most annoying, overused phrases out there. The fact that arose out of a bad SNL sketch makes it twice as bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always associate it with Bob Marley. Ergo, not so bad.

#123 DourDoerr

• 726 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

I was watching Doc on tv last night and thought much the same thing - he really is a natural up there. For a guy who was flying to Orlando at every chance, it seems odd that he'd "recharge the batteries" by working in a tv studio - he must love the exposure...

#124 sptguy33

• 1,104 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

The Clips game was surprisingly subdued until the 4th quarter - the Nuggets were just so done that it was really a foregone conclusion. Reminded me of some of those Celts series in the 80's when we would just kill the other team and the crowd would be dead by the last game.

Some good nut-grabber stuff directed at Evans though, he was pissed. Guys in front of us were holding bags of nuts and screaming at him, he was glaring at them.

Low point: They did the Wave again.

After going on Sunday and Monday, its no contest, the Lakers have much better fans. These Clips fans, except for the diehards, are like the yahoos who went to the Angels games in 2002. They have no clue.

On a semi-related note, have you been watching Livingston? I am now convinced he can become a poor man's Magic. He was completely indispensable in the last 2 games, they were worse off every time he was on the bench. Maggette has also emerged as the biggest off-the-bench weapon in the playoffs.

It's crazy, I really think they could make the Finals if Dunleavy doesn't screw it up. He was excellent after a piss-poor Game 1. They are loaded and peaking at the right time. Do you realize they led every win in that series by 15 or more? I think they are going to crush the Lakers.

#125 Rocco Graziosa

• 11,339 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I was just trying to get everyone riled up - it's been awhile since we argued about anything.

Well done. Thats certainly not the first time someone has used my combative nature against me. :lol:

How about this slate of sports tonight? Super, and I mean SUPER NBA games along with a nice Sox Yanks game. A top 5 sporting night of the year for sure. Gambling wise I like the Heat and Suns, game and halftime lines.

#126 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

Gambling wise I like the Heat and Suns, game and halftime lines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to be a dick, but ...

You like the halftime line already?

#127 Rocco Graziosa

• 11,339 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Not to be a dick, but ...

You like the halftime line already?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad. I like the first half lines. I just think that everyone is (somewhat) writing off the Suns and Heat. I think they play inspired ball tonight, especially in the first half.

I would include the Spurs there but what happened to them Sunday night wasn't just an ass whipping, it looked like it might have been a statement game. I see them winning tonight but I've lost some confindence in them and I think they might have as well.

Edited by Rocco Graziosa, 02 May 2006 - 05:42 PM.

#128 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

My bad.  I like the first half lines.  I just think that everyone is (somewhat) writing off the Suns and Heat.  I think they play inspired ball tonight, especially in the first half.

I would include the Spurs there but what happened to them Sunday night wasn't just an ass whipping, it looked like it might have been a statement game.  I see them winning tonight but I've lost some confindence in them and I think they might have as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there goes my night.

#129 sptguy33

• 1,104 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

Well done.  Thats certainly not the first time someone has used my combative nature against me.  :lol:

How about this slate of sports tonight?  Super, and I mean SUPER NBA games along with a nice Sox Yanks game.  A top 5 sporting night of the year for sure.  Gambling wise I like the Heat and Suns, game and halftime lines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree - this is the best night of sports I can remember in a long time. All four NBA games mean something and should be competitive... I could see all 4 underdogs covering.

#130 Rocco Graziosa

• 11,339 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

Ok, now I'll try to rile up the Rivers haters. The great Scott Skiles has Luke Schenshure and Eric Piatkowski in a tie game 5 on the road. Could you imagine what would happen if Rivers did that? (caviat, I have no problem with the move, like I wouldn't if Rivers did it)

#131 5050HindSight

• 1,303 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

Ok, now I'll try to rile up the Rivers haters.  The great Scott Skiles has Luke Schenshure and Eric Piatkowski in a tie game 5 on the road.  Could you imagine what would happen if Rivers did that?  (caviat, I have no problem with the move, like I wouldn't if Rivers did it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Luc Longley isn't walking through that door. Steve Kerr isn't walking through that door...

I didn't realize shenshure was still in the league.

#132 BS_SoxFan

• 1,975 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:51 PM

Ryan Gomes named Second Team All Rookie

#133 BGrif21125

• 4,605 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Which team did Orien Greene make?

#134 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

Ryan Gomes named Second Team All Rookie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does Raymond Felton win the Eastern Conference Player of the Month for each of the final three months of the season yet not make 1st team? His numbers were virtually identical to Chris Paul's over the final 50 games of the year while Channing Frye was benched in favor of Malik Rose. Makes you wonder who is voting on these things.

Edited by HomeRunBaker, 04 May 2006 - 04:51 PM.

#135 5050HindSight

• 1,303 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

How does Raymond Felton win the Eastern Conference Player of the Month for each of the final three months of the season yet not make 1st team?  His numbers were virtually identical to Chris Paul's over the final 50 games of the year while Channing Frye was benched in favor of Malik Rose.  Makes you wonder who is voting on these things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just saying the same thing to one of my buddies tonight. Not only should Felton have been there over Frye...he probably should have been there over D. Williams too.

Have they released any of the All-NBA teams yet? I wonder if Pierce makes 2nd or at least 3rd team All-NBA?

#136 osuceltic

• 1,003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:56 AM

How does Raymond Felton win the Eastern Conference Player of the Month for each of the final three months of the season yet not make 1st team?  His numbers were virtually identical to Chris Paul's over the final 50 games of the year while Channing Frye was benched in favor of Malik Rose.  Makes you wonder who is voting on these things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does Marvin Williams make second team? He was a disaster.

#137 osuceltic

• 1,003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:10 AM

The Celts let Paul Pressey and Jim Brewer go. Thank goodness they kept Tony Brown.

#138 Kowlooner

• The Milton Bradley of SoSH

• 2,222 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:39 AM

The Celts let Paul Pressey and Jim Brewer go. Thank goodness they kept Tony Brown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone has to do the halftime interviews.

#139 TheRooster

• 1,792 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:17 AM

How does Marvin Williams make second team? He was a disaster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He actually put up some nice numbers over the last month or two, with a few double-doubles. I suspect the Atlanta folks are feeling a lot better about him now.

#140 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

Restricted FA's that seem pretty interesting:

SF: Trevor Ariza Knicks 20 years old 6'8'' 200 LBS

GF: Jared Jeffries Wiz 24 years old 6'11'' 240 LBs

C: DJ Mbenga Mavs 25 years old 7'0'' 220 Lbs

If we keep our draft pick it makes sense to go in one of two directions:

1) Draft Foye SG/PG and sign a veteran PF/C to go into the front court rotation.

2) Draft O'Bryant C and sign a veteran PG to back up West.

Edited by SoxFanPJ, 07 May 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#141 dwevans24

• 610 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:33 AM

Restricted FA's that seem pretty interesting:

SF: Trevor Ariza Knicks 20 years old 6'8'' 200 LBS

GF: Jared Jeffries Wiz 24 years old 6'11'' 240 LBs

C: DJ Mbenga Mavs 25 years old 7'0'' 220 Lbs

If we keep our draft pick it makes sense to go in one of two directions:

1) Draft Foye SG/PG and sign a veteran PF/C to go into the front court rotation.

2) Draft O'Bryant C and sign a veteran PG to back up West.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeffries is that size only if he's wearing pumps and a lead suit. Someone gave you some bad info there.

#142 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:44 AM

Jeffries is that size only if he's wearing pumps and a lead suit.  Someone gave you some bad info there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN.com for the measurables.

With so much invested in Bryant and Jackson, it will be interesting to see how much of a luxury tax payment Jerry Buss will be willing to make for playoff success. Don't discount a trade of PF Lamar Odom as part of a roster remix. Even more than length, the Lakers need bulk. . . .

In the wake of the Bucks' 4-1 playoff demise against the Pistons, it is clear Milwaukee's power rotation needs to be thinned. Former All-Star Jamaal Magloire and 2005 No. 1 pick Andrew Bogut both exited the series speaking of being underused.

PG Anthony Johnson's revitilization all but assures that Jamaal Tinsley is approaching the end of his tenure with the Pacers. Let's see: a point guard with attitude issues? Sounds like a future Knick. . . .

http://sports.yahoo....v=tsn&type=lgns

Odom, Magloire, Tinsley, Discuss....

Probably far fetched but LaFrentz, Jefferson and the Twolves future 1st Round pick for Odom? Followed by drafting O'Bryant and signing a veteran PG.

I just really like the idea of adding Odom, very good rebounder andhas good passing skills to complement West. As the third scoring option I think he would fit in better then trying to be the second option in LA.

Pg: West/Vet PG / Dickau or Greene
SG: Pierce/Allen
SF: Wally/Green
PF: Odom/Gomes/Veal
C: Perkins/O'Bryant/Jones

Edited by SoxFanPJ, 08 May 2006 - 12:53 AM.

#143 BS_SoxFan

• 1,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

Can I ask why you're so high on O'Bryant that you'd be willing to spend the 7thish pick on him when most mock drafts and draft guys have him as a borderline lottery pick?

#144 dwevans24

• 610 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:22 AM

ESPN.com for the measurables.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not trying to be a jerk, but this site had him at 6'10" and then the media guides added a free inch and twenty pounds. Obviously, he could have gained weight in the NBA, but I think the guides have been generous.

Posted Image

Jared the Stick

Again, I only am commenting because of seeing Jeffries flail about for les Bullez when I'm not watching the Celts. Not trying to get on your case in any way PJ.

#145 osuceltic

• 1,003 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:07 AM

Can I ask why you're so high on O'Bryant that you'd be willing to spend the 7thish pick on him when most mock drafts and draft guys have him as a borderline lottery pick?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm interested in him, too. I don't know if he's worth the seventh pick, but who cares about mock drafts -- especially this early in the process? When the alternatives are so-so combo guards like Randy Foye, I'm willing to consider everyone.

PJ, I like all three guys you mentioned. I've been a big Jared Jeffries guy since he played at Indiana. He knows how to play. High basketball IQ. I think he'd be a nice addition.

#146 Devizier

• SoSH Member

• 5,532 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

I think the Celtics should avoid adding any small forwards or shooting guards through free agency.

#147 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

I'm interested in him, too. I don't know if he's worth the seventh pick, but who cares about mock drafts -- especially this early in the process? When the alternatives are so-so combo guards like Randy Foye, I'm willing to consider everyone.

PJ, I like all three guys you mentioned. I've been a big Jared Jeffries guy since he played at Indiana. He knows how to play. High basketball IQ. I think he'd be a nice addition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm interested in O'Bryant because of his potential to be a true center, I like Foye as well but if the team is looking to add a veteran PG adding Foye as well doesn't make a lot of sense. Meanwhile we don't really have much depth at Center. Perkins can start, but adding another young big man makes some sense when you take into consideration the huge salaries that 7 footers with a pulse get in the NBA, it seems to me easier to find a G or F then it is a C via free agency or trade.

Regardless of height/weight Jeffries interests me because of as you mentioned is Bball IQ and his ability to play defense.

#148 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,594 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

Jeffries would be a much better compliment to Pierce than Wally as he brings so much more defensively but the reality is that once we used a portion of the $5.5m Traded Player Exception we ended any chance of competing in the FA market by being limited to the full MLE. I feel Jeffries will receive greater than the MLE anyway but having the option of offering greater than those teams over the salary cap can would have at least given us a chance. As it stands now Jared Jeffries is simply wishful thinking.

#149 osuceltic

• 1,003 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Jeffries would be a much better compliment to Pierce than Wally as he brings so much more defensively but the reality is that once we used a portion of the $5.5m Traded Player Exception we ended any chance of competing in the FA market by being limited to the full MLE.  I feel Jeffries will receive greater than the MLE anyway but having the option of offering greater than those teams over the salary cap can would have at least given us a chance.  As it stands now Jared Jeffries is simply wishful thinking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know you love making this point, HRB, but ... this Jared Jeffries?

Mr. 6 points and 4 rebounds?

He's a nice player and would be a solid addition to the frontcourt mix, but if he gets more than the MLE, I'll be shocked.

#150 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

I know you love making this point, HRB, but ... this Jared Jeffries?

Mr. 6 points and 4 rebounds?

He's a nice player and would be a solid addition to the frontcourt mix, but if he gets more than the MLE, I'll be shocked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw a lot of Jeffries this year because I saw the Wiz a lot, and I agree with HRB on this one. He'll get more than the MLE - he's extremely versatile and can do a lot. I've seen him matched up against anyone from Ben Gordon to Z. Ilgauskis. He'll bring the ball up against pressure, he can pass over defenders, and he can play above the rim. He's quick and long. I'm a fan.

And I can't be sure, but to those who debated his height/weight - I believe he's pretty damn close to that listed size. At the very least, his listing is no more of an exaggeration than most guys in the league. His size is very deceiving.