Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Detroit Tigers 2009-2010 Offseason

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

I'll start off with a link to a story my man Jon Abbey pointed me to: http://msn.foxsports...ayroll,-Jackson

So, the Tigers have a crippling payroll, much of it committed to players who kind of suck. Or hardly played. I have to admit, it's a bit disheartening to read that Edwin Jackson, a young pitcher with a durable, strong arm, is one of those on the block. Jackson's late-season plummet was cause for concern; I have to question whether he can repeat the first-half heroics that earned him an All-Star spot in 2009. But still, good starting pitching doesn't come cheap.

As a fan, I enjoyed just seeing my team in a pennant race again coming off the previous disappointing season. I knew the lofty expectations for 2008 were inflated, but I can't say I envisioned a last place finish. Just watching my team play meaningful games in September was fun. I still think they overachieved; they were badly outscored and their expected W-L was well under .500. But losing to the Twins is especially painful, particularly when it involves them having to open the doors (or whatever they use to keep the air in that forsaken satanic burial ground) of the Metrodome for a 163rd game that ended like THAT.

The team has problems as currently constructed. Lots of crappy OBPs, no team speed, terrible execution (exacerbated by a manager who plays small ball with a team that can't run bases or put the ball in play), pitchers who throw hard but can't throw strikes; really, just a deeply flawed group. But they had good starting pitching and a serviceable bullpen, got lucky sometimes and stayed in the race to the end.

I have a sinking feeling that Mike Ilitch's outrageously generous payroll may be shrinking given the impossibly bad local economy, as is hinted in the piece linked above. I guess we'll see.

Edited by Enforcer, 10 November 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#2 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

How do you feel about the Miguel Cabrera situation? Obviously he was by far their best position player and a stud for most of the year, but I'd have some trouble getting past that last weekend as a fan, I think.

#3 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

I have a big problem with him and I think most Tiger fans do, too. He had a nice game 163, but that's his only saving grace (can't imagine the hell to pay if he'd gone 0-fer that night).

He was abysmal during the two critical series down the stretch, especially the Chicago series. If he's slightly better than worthless, they probably win an extra game and don't need to have the play-in game. What was he in that series, something like 0-11? And in one of those games, he was 0-4 and left 6 runners on base. Nice. That he was out partying with his buddies on the White Sox only rubbed salt in the wound.

But I think he's here to stay. He'll make amends, maybe sincerely, maybe just because he has to, and hopefully keep his nose clean from here on out. He's the cornerstone of the team, whether the Tigers like it or not.

"Hey, big boy; you need to work out."

Yeah, good call, fat man.

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Wow, Curtis Granderson is on the trading block according to Sherman.

#5 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 19823 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (SoxScout @ Nov 11 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Curtis Granderson is on the trading block according to Sherman.

Sigh he really would be perfect for the Yankees too. I wonder what they would be looking for.

#6 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

I just read that article too, and researched it a bit, and I don't quite see how it could make sense for both teams. I really like Granderson, but he's just abysmal against LHP (.484 OPS last year, .614 career), and according to UZR, he was only slightly better than average defensively last year. If you factor in the $25M owed him over the next three seasons, I'm not sure how much talent it makes sense for NY to give up for him. On the other hand, if the deal just required Melky or Gardner plus a couple of solid minor leaguers, I'd of course be all for it.

#7 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

Grandy is heavily overrated by both the Tigers and the fan base. The thing with Curtis is, he's the most professional, well-behaved, likeable baseball player imaginable. He's the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to date. He hustles all the time, catches the ball with both hands and runs out every ground ball, no matter how futile. He's clean-cut, well-groomed, articulate, modest, respects his elders and the coaching staff, gives time and money to local charities; the list goes on.

As a ballplayer, he has nice range in CF, but he misplays the occasional ball and sometimes turns a routine fly-out into an adventure. He has a so-so arm. He can draw walks and he strikes out a lot. He has good speed and power. Combine that with the ballpark he plays in and you understand how he had the 20/20/20/20 season a couple years ago.

The problem is, Curtis Granderson cannot hit a curve ball. At all. I've watched him play for 4 years now, and I can honestly say I don't ever recall him really making solid contact with a breaking pitch. He obviously has recorded a few base hits, but it's a miracle if he really connects with one.

The only reason Granderson is still in the major leagues is most pitchers still throw him an occasional fastball, usually on the first pitch. He hits a lot of those out of the park, at least against righties. I guess they reason that even when a batter has a big hole like that, you still have to mix it up once in a while. I disagree; I don't think he could hit breaking balls even if he received a 100% diet of them. I wouldn't even mix in an occasional fastball until he proves he can consistently hit a curve even when he's sitting on one.

The best part is that Jim Leyland has seemingly permanently etched Granderson into the leadoff spot, despite the terrible fit. Nothing like facing a LHP and starting the first inning off with an automatic out.

I'm not sure who they'd replace him with, though.

#8 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Here's a seemingly informed perspective on what's going on in Tigerland behind all of these rumors:

http://detroitnews.c...-business-model

#9 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Nov 13 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a seemingly informed perspective on what's going on in Tigerland behind all of these rumors:

http://detroitnews.c...-business-model

Yep, Lynn Henning delivers the goods.

After a few days in the dumps, worried that all the talk I've been hearing on local sports radio about the Tigers having a fire sale is true, this column picked my spirits up a bit. It's not like Mr. Ilitch to just dump salary a la the Marlins or Indians, but times are tough and it crossed my mind that it could be true.

#10 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

If I'm Dombrowski, I look to move Cabrera. He's obviously an elite hitter, but a lousy defender who will only get worse. He's less than loved there currently, as Enforcer confirmed above, and his contract is MASSIVE ($126M left over the next six years). If you could move him, maybe along with a bad contract, for a couple of genuine AA or AAA prospects, I think you have to at least think about it. They have Verlander/Jackson/Porcello to build around, I was petrified of seeing them in the ALDS just because of that.

Anyway, that's the only real way I see for them to cut salary in this market. Granderson probably wouldn't bring back nearly as much as the fan base would expect, because of his flaws that we've discussed, I think they should keep him and the three pitchers and maybe Laird and make pretty much anyone else who's making any kind of real money available.

If Cabrera goes, they're only on the hook for $21M in 2011 (Guillen/Granderson), and they can start looking to lock up the three stud starters long term, Verlander/Jackson are FAs after 2012. They could also make a play for some of the big names after 2010 if they wanted.

#11 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Nov 14 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm Dombrowski, I look to move Cabrera. He's obviously an elite hitter, but a lousy defender who will only get worse.

He was a terrible 3B but I honestly think he's an above average 1B. He made big strides defensively this year and more than held his own, I thought.

#12 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Oh, that's good to know.

Just an idea, they seem to be in a pretty impossible situation, but that makes him more of a core piece than I thought. Hopefully he'll show up sober for big games from now on... laugh.gif

#13 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

I do tend to agree with you, Jon. In fact, speaking of fan reactions, the Tigers would have some PR problems if they unload Granderson, who is extremely popular here. No such concerns with Cabrera. It would be bad enough that I think the Tigers have to take it into consideration when making their moves.

It's worth mentioning that the Tigers did two things mid-season that fly directly in the face of cutting payroll: Extending Leyland's contract mid-summer and allowing Ordonez to play enough games to qualify for his player option.

There are some terrible contracts on the team. Ordonez is going to make $18 milllion next year. They have $19.5 million tied up in Dontrelle Willis, Bonderman and Robertson. Those 3 pitchers won a combined 3 games in 2009.

#14 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5735 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

They have to be quietly shopping Cabrera, if for no other reason than to get a baseline on what his value is. If he were a model citizen his value would be easier to predict but he has to be considered a bit of a gamble with his issues and that long contract - 8 years/$152.3M (2008-15).

#15 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

So, Tom Brookens is the Tigers' new first base coach, replacing that lovable oddball, Andy Van Slyke. Ancient local scribe Jerry Green, writing something of relevance for the first time in two decades, made the interesting observation that Leyland may have just hired his successor. Well done, Jerry; there's new hope for 135 year-olds everywhere.

I think Green is right. Regardless of how the Leyland-Detroit marriage ends, I'm betting on Brookens to play the mistress at some point.

#16 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

I ran the below numbers because, as a Tigers fan, I was convinced that no team stranded as many runners as mine. Turns out I was wrong, but they still rate as a frustrating bunch.

The list is sorted by league, then by baserunner scoring percentage. I wasn't interested in LOB stats, because a team can score 4 runs in an inning, leave the bases loaded and still leave the maximum number of runners on base. But there's not as much frustration in leaving runners on if your team drives some of them home. So the idea here is to show which team drove in the lowest percentage of the baserunners they had.

One caveat: I didn't have convenient access to runners reaching base on error, so my Total BR number is incomplete. Oh, well.

Think of it as an Offensive Misery Index for fans.

Tm Lg R Total BR BR Score Pct
TEX AL 784 1945 40.31%
LAA AL 883 2192 40.28%
NYY AL 915 2321 39.42%
BOS AL 872 2224 39.21%
TOR AL 798 2109 37.84%
TBR AL 803 2125 37.79%
MIN AL 817 2169 37.67%
OAK AL 759 2041 37.19%
DET AL 743 2044 36.35%
CLE AL 773 2131 36.27%
CHW AL 724 2006 36.09%
BAL AL 741 2064 35.90%
KCR AL 686 1931 35.53%
SEA AL 640 1900 33.68%
PHI NL 820 2099 39.07%
COL NL 804 2115 38.01%
MIL NL 785 2128 36.89%
FLA NL 772 2124 36.35%
STL NL 730 2025 36.05%
LAD NL 780 2181 35.76%
ARI NL 720 2016 35.71%
SFG NL 657 1853 35.46%
CIN NL 673 1933 34.82%
ATL NL 735 2113 34.78%
CHC NL 707 2049 34.50%
WSN NL 710 2089 33.99%
HOU NL 643 1906 33.74%
PIT NL 636 1909 33.32%
NYM NL 671 2034 32.99%
SDP NL 638 1958 32.58%

Edited by Enforcer, 15 November 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#17 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

11 of the 12 lowest numbers are in the NL, that's kind of amazing. Pitchers hitting, NL baseball, WHOO!

#18 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Nothing much on the hot stove front for the Tigers this week. There's been speculation that Jose Valverde may be on the Tigers' wish list.

#19 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1709 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Enforcer @ Nov 15 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jerry Green, writing something of relevance for the first time in two decades, made the interesting observation that Leyland may have just hired his successor.

Nothing against Green, but I wouldn't give him credit for original thought in this specific case. I've heard Brookens' name mentioned as the Tigers future manager for a couple of years now. When Brookens was managing in Oneonta, and Matt Walbeck in Erie, the question was which of the two was more likely to someday take that rein. With Walbeck since having moved to another organization, and Brookens going from Oneonta to Erie to his new job, evidence is mounting that he is being groomed for that position.

Edited by David Laurila, 20 November 2009 - 09:46 AM.

#20 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

From FanGraphs, the Tigers' 2009 draft:

2009 1st Round: Jacob Turner, RHP, Missouri HS
2. Andrew Oliver, LHP, Oklahoma State
3. Wade Gaynor, 3B, Western Kentucky
6x- Daniel Fields, SS, Michigan HS
30x- James Robbins, 1B, Washington HS

#21 Scoops Bolling

• 2775 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

I'll chime in with a few words of optimism.

The Tigers have a few kids coming up who should really help the big league team, especially in the lineup and bullpen. First, Scott Sizemore had a real breakout year and looks like a guy who should be a very solid 2B for the foreseeable future. He's always had a good plate approach (his lowest OBP at any level was a .363 in High A) and he developed some real power this year. Sizemore's solid defensively, and is also a good baserunner (21:4 SB:CS last year, 14:3 in 2008). Despite his breaking his ankle at the AFL, he should be the opening day starter at 2B.

Secondly, Alex Avila looks to be a real solid regular in the not so distant future. While he probably won't be posting a .965 OPS in the MLB for a full season at any point in the near future, Avila has good power for a catcher, and a good plate approach. His main problem is a lack of experience catching (he only started catching full time two years ago), but his defense has supposedly improved markedly and he'll remain behind the plate. Avila looks to be the longterm answer at catcher the Tigers have been searching for for a while. Dusty Ryan is no slouch either, but is more likely to be a backup.

Third, Ryan Strieby could probably step in immediately at DH and immediately help in the middle of the order. Carlos Guillen is a bit of an issue there, as he's highly paid and can't really play the field anymore, and Ryan Raburn seems the likely LFer of the future given his superior defense. Nonetheless, Strieby will probably find his way into the Tigers' lineup sometime in 2010 and could quickly become the team's 2nd best hitter pretty soon thereafter.

The Tigers also have Casper Wells coming of a nice year in AA, with Wells managing a .229 IsoP in the EL and a 1.096 OPS in the AFL despite coming off of hamate surgery. Wells did have something of a strikeout problem this year, but remains a fairly likely bet as the RF of the future after Magglio leaves.

While the starting staff doesn't have much help forthcoming, the Tigers have a nice crop of relievers who should hit the MLB soon. Robbie Weinhardt led the AFL in Ks this year, and was very good in A+/AA in 2009. Casey Fien actually hit the MLB in 2009 and got knocked around a bit in his first 11 IP, but projects to be a nice 7th inning guy with his low 90s fastball and a strong slider. Fien is really good against RHP, but struggles against lefties, so that could limit his role. Cody Satterwhite is another RP coming off a solid showing in AA, although he lacks the command displayed by the other two, and there are a few others in the pipeline (Scott Green, Tyler Stohr, etc). This should be a real boon to the Tigers' pen, which has obviously been a weakness of the team the last couple seasons.

Finally, although the team is saddled with some bad contracts, they have a huge amount of money coming off the books in 2010. The Tigers should be able to shed Magglio's 18 million, 12.5 million from Bonderman, 12 from Willis, 10 from Robertson, and 6.6 from Inge. While that could leave the rotation pretty thin, they aren't exactly losing any aces among those guys.

Long story short, 2010 could be a bit of a struggle, but the Tigers have a pretty nice crop of young players coming up and a solid core to build around. Trading away Cabrera would be the height of stupidity, but with him in place they could have a very nice young lineup in 2011. Further considering how much money they'll have to spend given all the contracts off the books, and they may be able to snap a starter or two to solidify the rotation. The team needs to find a SS of the future, as Cale Iorg has proven that he absolutely is not that, but Daniel Fields might prove to be the man.

#22 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Scoops Bolling @ Nov 23 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Tigers have a few kids coming up who should really help the big league team, especially in the lineup and bullpen. First, Scott Sizemore had a real breakout year and looks like a guy who should be a very solid 2B for the foreseeable future. He's always had a good plate approach (his lowest OBP at any level was a .363 in High A) and he developed some real power this year. Sizemore's solid defensively, and is also a good baserunner (21:4 SB:CS last year, 14:3 in 2008). Despite his breaking his ankle at the AFL, he should be the opening day starter at 2B.

Secondly, Alex Avila looks to be a real solid regular in the not so distant future. While he probably won't be posting a .965 OPS in the MLB for a full season at any point in the near future, Avila has good power for a catcher, and a good plate approach. His main problem is a lack of experience catching (he only started catching full time two years ago), but his defense has supposedly improved markedly and he'll remain behind the plate. Avila looks to be the longterm answer at catcher the Tigers have been searching for for a while. Dusty Ryan is no slouch either, but is more likely to be a backup.

Yeah, I'm really excited about seeing Sizemore, and seeing more of Avila. Polanco is almost assuredly gone so 2B is a big hole to fill. As for Avila, the guy was ridiculous in part-time play last season and he certainly had a flair for the dramatic. Having a power hitting catcher with plate discipline would sure be nice, especially from the left side. We had Pudge when he was still solid defensively but he simply refused to draw walks.

#23 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14766 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

BP did a top 11 Tigers prospects list:

======================

Five-Star Prospects
1. Jacob Turner, RHP
2. Casey Crosby, LHP
Four-Star Prospects
3. Scott Sizemore, 2B
Three-Star Prospects
4. Daniel Fields, SS
5. Andy Oliver, LHP
6. Alex Avila, C
7. Cody Satterwhite, RHP
8. Wilkin Ramirez, OF
9. Ryan Strieby, 1B
10. Gustavo Nunez, SS
Two-Star Prospects
11. Casper Wells, OF

======================

http://baseballprosp...?articleid=9796

#24 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

Lynn Henning with a nice recap of the top-20 prospects, with descriptions of each player. http://www.detnews.c.....-more)/?imw=Y

#25 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11471 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Enforcer @ Nov 11 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grandy is heavily overrated by both the Tigers and the fan base. The thing with Curtis is, he's the most professional, well-behaved, likeable baseball player imaginable. He's the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to date. He hustles all the time, catches the ball with both hands and runs out every ground ball, no matter how futile. He's clean-cut, well-groomed, articulate, modest, respects his elders and the coaching staff, gives time and money to local charities; the list goes on.

As a ballplayer, he has nice range in CF, but he misplays the occasional ball and sometimes turns a routine fly-out into an adventure. He has a so-so arm. He can draw walks and he strikes out a lot. He has good speed and power. Combine that with the ballpark he plays in and you understand how he had the 20/20/20/20 season a couple years ago.

The problem is, Curtis Granderson cannot hit a curve ball. At all. I've watched him play for 4 years now, and I can honestly say I don't ever recall him really making solid contact with a breaking pitch. He obviously has recorded a few base hits, but it's a miracle if he really connects with one.

The only reason Granderson is still in the major leagues is most pitchers still throw him an occasional fastball, usually on the first pitch. He hits a lot of those out of the park, at least against righties. I guess they reason that even when a batter has a big hole like that, you still have to mix it up once in a while. I disagree; I don't think he could hit breaking balls even if he received a 100% diet of them. I wouldn't even mix in an occasional fastball until he proves he can consistently hit a curve even when he's sitting on one.

The best part is that Jim Leyland has seemingly permanently etched Granderson into the leadoff spot, despite the terrible fit. Nothing like facing a LHP and starting the first inning off with an automatic out.

I'm not sure who they'd replace him with, though.

You're too hard on Granderson. He'll never be the player he was in 2007; what looked like a breakout year at the time now looks like a career year. Even so, Granderson is a league-average run producer who plays league-average defense in CF. He more than earns his paycheck.

Your eyes are playing tricks on you with the curveball. Check out his Pitch Type Values on his Fangraphs page. The only pitch Granderson has trouble handling is the slider. Naturally, he sees a lot of them-- but that was true in 2007 also, and he handles the slider better now than he does then. He's always been slightly above average against the curve ball. The biggest difference between the 2007 and 2009 versions of Granderson is that the 2007 version murdered fastballs; the 2009 version was only league average against the fastball.

His OBP did take a tumble-- from .361 in 2007 and .365 in 2008 to just .327 in 2009. During that time, his BABIP slid from a ridiculous (and unsustainable) .362 in 2007, to a solid .317 in 2008, to a hideous .276 in 2009. (The league average is just over .300.) His walk rate did dip slightly, as did his ISO; meanwhile, his K rate increased slightly. He also hit dramatically more popups in 2009 than he did in prior seasons.

There are two theories that could explain this constellation of data:

(1) in 2009, at age 28, Granderson began his decline phase; or
(2) Granderson suffered through the worst slump of his career late in the season and had generally bad luck on balls in play, but he's nearly as good a hitter entering 2010 as he was in 2008 (accepting that 2007 was a career year).

You watched him play, so I'll defer to your judgment. Sitting in front of my computer terminal, however, (2) looks more plausible to me than (1).

#26 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 18469 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this, but according to this article, both Granderson and Edwin Jackson are on the block.

Granderson isn't surprising, but Jackson is really interesting. He turned 26 in September and is coming off his best season right at an age where you would expect him to break out. Granted, reports are that they asked for Brandon Morrow and Shawn Kelley from Seattle for him, so they're not looking to move him on the cheap, but if Josh Johnson isn't going to be available and the bidding for Roy Halladay gets out of hand (or the Blue Jays aren't going to be reasonable), a trade for Jackson might end up being a better investment than signing a guy like Lackey. You could do far worse for a 3 or a 4.

#27 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (maufman @ Dec 3 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your eyes are playing tricks on you with the curveball. Check out his Pitch Type Values on his Fangraphs page. The only pitch Granderson has trouble handling is the slider. Naturally, he sees a lot of them-- but that was true in 2007 also, and he handles the slider better now than he does then. He's always been slightly above average against the curve ball. The biggest difference between the 2007 and 2009 versions of Granderson is that the 2007 version murdered fastballs; the 2009 version was only league average against the fastball.

(1) in 2009, at age 28, Granderson began his decline phase; or
(2) Granderson suffered through the worst slump of his career late in the season and had generally bad luck on balls in play, but he's nearly as good a hitter entering 2010 as he was in 2008 (accepting that 2007 was a career year).

Definitely agree that #2 is the better explanation.

I have to say, the Fangraphs numbers are startling to me, to the extent that I have trouble accepting them. The ESPN Insider content numbers only showed BA by pitch, but they were more consistent with my anecdotal evidence. I have to assume the pitch tracking by Fangraphs is reliable, though.

#28 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'm going to miss Placido Polanco's ability to put the ball in play and his steady hand in the field. But most of all, I'm going to miss the gigantic bone structure of his head.

#29 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well, we knew this was coming, but it's still sad to see. Grandy and Jackson were a couple of nice pieces. Likable guys, too. The team is pretty thin going into 2010.

#30 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

For Harwell, there is still much to do
Very Nice Article

#31 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

So the Tigers sign Valverde and are reportedly in pursuit of Johnny Damon.

Both strike me as face-saving PR moves to bring in a couple name-brand MLB players and hopefully distract fans from the heavy losses of a few weeks ago. We'll see how Valverde handles AL hitters, but I don't think the fans are fooled by a transparent move like this.

#32 Todd Benzinger

• 4285 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Enforcer @ Jan 16 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the Tigers sign Valverde and are reportedly in pursuit of Johnny Damon.

Both strike me as face-saving PR moves to bring in a couple name-brand MLB players and hopefully distract fans from the heavy losses of a few weeks ago. We'll see how Valverde handles AL hitters, but I don't think the fans are fooled by a transparent move like this.

Pretty strange way to save face. They cleared $26M by moving Granderson, only to turn around and give $14M back to Valverde?

Hard to imagine that Damon will come in for less than $12M...

I mean, the young guys they got will stay cheap for a while, so they will save money long term, but it still seems odd.

Edited by Todd Benzinger, 16 January 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#33 mikrogers

• 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

I would like to just say that the move for Jose Valverde just plain sucks. It's not like we could've used that money else where. I hate when any team spends big money in the bullpen.

#34 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Encouraging report, anyway: http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4871230

#35 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers have agreed to an $80 million, five-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
http://www.nytimes.c...-Verlander.html

#36 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11471 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Todd Benzinger @ Jan 16 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty strange way to save face. They cleared $26M by moving Granderson, only to turn around and give $14M back to Valverde?

Hard to imagine that Damon will come in for less than $12M...

I mean, the young guys they got will stay cheap for a while, so they will save money long term, but it still seems odd.

It's not saving face. The Tigers are smitten with Max Scherzer. The D-Backs think his arm will fall off. If the Tigers are right, they made out like bandits.

To the extent it was a consideration at all, unloading Granderson's contract was secondary.

#37 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

File this one under Too Little, Too Late. I guess it could be filed under Duh also.

#38 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5735 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Enforcer @ Feb 17 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
File this one under Too Little, Too Late. I guess it could be filed under Duh also.

Jim Leyland said he got a call from umpire Randy Marsh "three weeks into the offseason" to apologize...

I listened to an interview with Leyland just today and nearly drove off the road when I heard this. Leyland was cool about it, but I would LOVE to have heard his actual reply to Marsh. Of course, I would have loved it even more if the call had been correct.

#39 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Damon is a Tiger.

#40 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 34362 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Johnny Damon + Cavernous Comerica Outfield = 30 Minute Comedy Blooper Reel

#41 chris719

• 82 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (mabrowndog @ Feb 20 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think they'll practice the Manny cut-off play on purpose now? laugh.gif

#42 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20515 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (mabrowndog @ Feb 20 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the flip side, I think he is going to seriously mash in that ballpark. Especially if he can get back to hitting line drives and grounders, he still runs the bases pretty well. He is dumb, but he isn't that dumb, he knows hitting fly balls isn't going to play out in that ballpark.

#43 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (rembrat @ Feb 22 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the flip side, I think he is going to seriously mash in that ballpark. Especially if he can get back to hitting line drives and grounders, he still runs the bases pretty well. He is dumb, but he isn't that dumb, he knows hitting fly balls isn't going to play out in that ballpark.

Didn't someone show that from the equivalent angle of hitting to the middle of the other team's bullpen at fenway, to the foul line, Comerica was actually very close to the Public Toilet's dimensions?

At any rate, in the main board thread asking us to predict all 30 teams' records, I was pretty bullish on the Tigers and that was based on Granderson being a bit overrated, Scherzer being good and not hurt at least this year and Bonderman coming back.

I think the Tigers' season hinges on Bonderman. On MLB network, Sean Casey said that he'd been in contact with Bonderman (a former teammate) and that Bonderman says he feels great, that he's totally over the artery restriction thing for which he had surgery and can't wait to start the season. I know. I know. Best shape of his life. Blah blah blah.

But, Valverde will be better than Rodney was closing last year and this rotation, Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Bonderman . . ? could be really good.

#44 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5735 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Armando Galarraga was optioned to Triple A.

Galarraga was battling Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson and Eddie Bonine for one of the two open spots in the Tigers' rotation.

link

Verlander, Porcello, Scherzer, and 2 of Willis, Bonderman, Robertson, and Bonine. Bonine can be optioned. Tiger fans are pulling for all of those guys for various reasons so this is an interesting race.

Still... you wish you had better options.

#45 troparra

• 549 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

Tigers to bunt more (link).
But I think Leyland's talking about bunting for hits, not sacrifice bunts.
"We had two chances the other day," Leyland said, referring to Friday's game against the Yankees in Tampa. "A guy on third, two out, (Ramon) Santiago and (Clete) Thomas. They could have dragged a bunt and walked to first.
And
Leyland wants Jackson, the team's new center fielder, bunting for base hits, which is why Jackson one day last week worked overtime bunting 50 pitches for what Leyland hopes will become one more path to putting Jackson on base.
"A lot goes into it," Leyland said, "but I think it's a weapon for him. We have to see."

And maybe this is a little late, it was published on March 10, but Lynn Henning of the Det News offered up his thoughts on the Tigers batting order (link):
1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Johnny Damon, LF
3. Magglio Ordonez, RF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Carlos Guillen, DH
6. Scott Sizemore, 2B
7. Brandon Inge, 3B
8. Gerald Laird, C
9. Adam Everett, SS

#46 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5735 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

Lynn Henning has his rose colored glasses on. For those who want a basic catch-up on the players, it's something cheery for a dreary morning. Of course, even in this most upbeat mood, he could not find any positives about Zumaya.

#47 troparra

• 549 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

Nate Robertson was traded to Florida today. link.
The Tigers solved their starting rotation mystery Tuesday when they traded Nate Robertson to the Florida Marlins and made Dontrelle Willis their No. 5 starter behind Jeremy Bonderman.
In sending the 32-year-old Robertson to his old team, Florida, the Tigers got left-hand reliever Jay Voss, 22, who will begin the season at Double-A Erie. Voss had excellent numbers at two different minor-league stops in 2009: 2.03 earned-run average and 10 strikeouts in 13 1/3 innings at Single-A Jupiter; 3-0 with a 2.97 ERA (36 strikeouts in 36 innings spanning 30 appearances) at Double-A Jacksonville.

The Tigers pay all but $400k of Robertson's $10 mil salary.
Lynn Henning on the radio today said that Nate Robertson was not the greatest clubhouse personality when things weren't going his way. Apparently, Leyland wasn't happy with that last year when he put Robertson in the bullpen, and Henning said Leyland had enough and this was why he was traded.

Putting Dontrelle in the starting rotation is a scary thought though. He's got to have a very short leash, although people are claiming he's been resurrected this spring (1.20 ERA prior to Tuesday's game).

Henning also has some encouraging things to say about Joel Zumaya in his blog, in contrast to what he's said before about him(link). Here's what he says:
But the last three outings by Zumaya have been a return to 2006. He has been devastating. His fastball, curve, and change-up have all but vaporized batters.
I see a pitcher I haven't seen in four years. And no matter how important that is for the Tigers, it's more important for Zumaya, who didn't deserve to see a career so promising be compromised by an injury so freakish.

Edited by troparra, 30 March 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#48 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5735 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

I was happy to see that Alex Avila will begin the season in the majors. I like his bat and I love that he has Gerald Laird to mentor him at the position.

Regarding Robertson, I can see Leyland's opinion carrying some weight and if it's true that Gum Time was sent away because of attitude, well ok. I guess that's as good a reason as any to trade an extra guy - provided there is interest out there and there was. Was he really extra though, with questions in the 3, 4, and 5 spots in the rotation?