Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

ALDS Game #3: Enough Is Enough.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2250 replies to this topic

#51 TrishPike

• 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm really surprised nobody else has linked to this one - it's one of my favs. Since we really are fighting against annihilation; for our right to survive:

(Independence Day speech by Bill Pullman).

Go Sox. Do this shit.

#52 Kidd5PG

• 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

I don't care that, in the first two games, Pedroia seems to have forgotten that he's the reigning MVP of the American fucking League. I don't care that Ortiz is hitting like he's still on the Twins or that Drew doesn't give a shit or that Bucknor forgot to put his contacts in or that Buck Martinez won't shut the fuck up. This is Zero hour. Ground Zero. Everything that has happened in the last two games is forgotten.

Today Clay dominate this smug motherfucking lineup, and we get to see an offensive explosion the likes of which will not be tempered in the least by the enfeebled ministrations of some forgotten Tampa castoff.

We've lulled them to sleep with our anemic road offense. Now we skullfuck them to death in Fenway and send them home with their collective tail between their legs for a decisive game 5 - a game, by the way, that will end with Lackey committing seppuku on the mound after yet another unbelievably frustrating playoff loss to the Red Sox.

But it starts today. WIN. FUCKING WIN.

PERIOD.

#53 martybarrettoverdrive

• 432 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (DukeSox @ Oct 11 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, how embarrassing is 1:53 in that video? What a joke.

Nevermind. This is obviously not the time or place for ironic humor.

Edited by martybarrettoverdrive, 11 October 2009 - 01:55 AM.

#54 Apostle™

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

Piece By Inches Speech

#55 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14259 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:57 AM

We've been here before and we know the way out.

Win Today.

#56 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12837 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:10 AM

10/11/09 ALDS Game 3-- This is Terrifying

It’s time for Jose Melendez’s KEYS TO THE ALDS.

1. Jose is terrified of tonight’s game. Not a little scared. Not badly frightened.

Terrified.

Jose has never been so terrified by a game in his entire life. Not in 1986, not in 2003, not even in 2004.

Tonight. Tonight is more terrifying.

It’s not that Jose is afraid of losing. Jose knows how to handle a loss… with great bitterness and by taking it out on the people around him.

It’s not that Jose is afraid that a loss means that winter has arrived. Jose lives in the south now; winter never arrives. Not real winter anyway.

It’s not that Jose is afraid that this is the last time he’ll see Jason Bay, Jason Varitek or anyone else named Jason in a Red Sox uniform. There are plenty of other Jasons out there, and all of them except Jason Marquis are better than what’s left of Tek.

No, the reason Jose is terrified is that to survive, the Red Sox are going to have to win three straight elimination games against the Angels, and you know what that means.

Death.

When the Red Sox complete the comeback, history suggests that some poor soul on the Angels is going to die by his own hand.

It’s awful.

Say whatever you want about the Yankees, but they know how to take a bone crushing, soul-destroying defeat, by being contemptible, whiny, but decidedly non-suicidal bitches. Good for them.

But the Angles? When the Angels lose three straight elimination games to the Sox, there’s always a chance that someone is going to take the name “Angels” a little too literally and is going to go for the quick path to the halo.

Jose just hopes that they have a good psychologist on staff.

2. Friday night started with such promise. As Jose drove to Raleigh to watch the game with members of the Triangle Red Sox Nation, he got regular updates on the Yankees collapse from Granny Melendez on the phone direct from Atlanta.

While Granny Melendez doesn’t have the finer points of baseball down and can’t always explain exactly what’s happening on the field, she can convey basic information such as the score and the inning in a pleasant and listenable way. In other words, she is a vastly superior broadcaster to Suzyn Waldman.

So as Jose drove, Granny Melendez informed him that the Twins had crept to a 2-1 lead and then a 3-1 lead. Jose even got her to say “Yankees Suck.” Admittedly, he tricked her.

“How about you give Jose a Yankees suck Granny Melendez?” Jose said.

“Yankees suck?” responded Granny Melendez, not sure that she had heard correctly.

“That’s the spirit, Yankees suck!” chimed in Jose.

“Oh, Granny Melendez, doesn’t like that phrase,” she replied in the third person as is Melendez family tradition. “She prefers Yankees stink.”

“Too late, Jose gets to quote you now.”

“Don’t do that.”

And yet here it is. Jose denied a request from his own grandmother. It’s not Jose’s fault, she should have said it was off the record.

3. No more jokes.
No more puns.
No more scoring zero runs.
When the anthem’s last note sounds
Red Sox need to bat around

No more KEYS to
No more games
No more Sox fans feeling shame
Since we’ve got the wild card
Clay Buchholz is throwing hard

No more losses
Errors too
No much giving up runs to
Angles batters, not at all
Because they can’t take a ball

No more squanders
No more LOBs
No more doing crappy jobs
Of taking bases, driving runs
When something wicked this way comes.

I’m Jose Melendez, and those are my KEYS TO THE ALDS.

#57 Papelmate

• 204 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

You here in the baseball world may not know me too well, my name is Papelmate and some would say I'm a bit of a Brett Favre fan. I am more than this though, I am a former Time magazine man of the year and have been acclaimed as the most interesting forum poster in the world. The most interesting man in the world from the beer commercials was only selected because my rights fees were far too high for some crappy beer company I don't even know the name of. This isn't about me, this isn't even about Brett Favre, this is about this game of baseball, played on the baseball diamond, in the baseball park, during baseball season starting in the spring, going into the Summer and ending in the fall. Baseball might not have the strategy, the jarring hits, the thrill or the excitement that football does but it definitely has way more complex and redundant statistics. As I understand today this discussion of the 2009 baseball season might end and I don't want this to happen. Not that I enjoy the Red Sox that much, my love of the game has faded long ago and they have come a distant second. I want this season to continue for you guys. My friends here at the Sons of Sam Horn. I want this season to continue for Sillie Skrub so I can read more of his baseball bloggings, I want this season to continue for Rick Burleson's Global Yambag in hopes that he will stay out of the football forum a bit longer and I want this season to continue for the rest of you that I never bothered to know your names. Though it's not my forte I want this season to continue for you my friends because the Boston sports scene and the Sons of Samuel J. Horn Boston sports forum isn't just about me. My mentor Brett Favre taught me long ago that what you achieve can only be achieved with others along the way. Without vicodin he never could have played this long. Without Peter King he never could have gotten as much press and without his wranglers he could have never looked that damn good. Without you guys doing your baseball discussions I can't succeed in posting my witty football takes becuase there's less people to read them so I need this to continue. I can't promise that I'm going to have both eyes on the game very long. I will definitely be watching Brett Favre carve up the St. Louis Rams like a Thanksgiving Turducken but I think after he throws his 5th TD in the first half I might flip over for a few seconds and see what the hometown teams doing, for you. And Bobby Abreu is fat anyway and who the fuck has a left handed closer in 2009.

Win it for Papelmate, win it for Brett Favre, win it for the Sons of Samuel L. Horn Boston Sports and Baseball Talk Discussion Board Forum and win it for god ladies and gentlemen.

Hell, I'll even give something up for the rest of you. This is my freshman year picture. It's slightly embarrassing and I do this as a sacrifice to the baseball Gods.

Edited by AlNipper49, 11 October 2009 - 06:53 AM.

#58 5belongstoGeorge

• Left Coast

• PipPipPip
  • 8013 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:58 AM

You know, I miss Manny as much as anybody else, probably more... still, there is no reason to not start hitting and win a couple in Fenway.

There is no quit in these Red Sox. Just like before.

"God is with those who persevere."
-- The Quarun

Edited by 5belongstoGeorge, 11 October 2009 - 05:59 AM.

#59 Jungleland

• 593 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

It's about time that Clay's no-no becomes his SECOND most famous, career changing, important start. That changes this afternoon.

Win.

#60 Flynn4ever

• 520 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

I live in Japan and have never had the 'correct' satellite dish to get the occasional Sox game. Only recently, the national broadcast company apparently gave up exclusive rights, meaning I will watch a full game in the comfort of my own home (granted, from 1:00 AM onward) for the first time in about 15 years. I've seen more live games (one in Fenway, one in Al Davis Palace, and two in Tokyo) since then. Pants will be off early and the offense better be on! emot-buddy.gif laugh.gif

#61 Flynn4ever

• 520 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

Any more contributions to a mini 'win it for' thread before game time?>

#62 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20094 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

Mother fucking win.

#63 Adirondack jack

• 1317 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Lineup: Ellsbury, Pedroia, Martinez, Youkilis, Bay, Ortiz, Lowell, Drew, Gonzalez. Buchholz.

From the wild thicket.

On boys.

#64 notfar

• 951 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thank god this game starts at noon.

#65 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14873 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

I did some serious number crunching and it turns out that although there's only been some small number of 0-2 comebacks in 5-game series, some huge percentage of those are by the Red Sox.

I'm not ready to stop watching baseball yet this year.

Win.

#66 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9289 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Today is not a day for fear or trepidation. It's a time to celebrate the fact that October baseball is being played at Fenway Park. The bats will come alive, the fans will celebrate, and it will be glorious.

'nuf ced

#67 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

Ungodly amount of time invested in this, and every, season. Please don't go down without a whimper. I'm not ready for Fielder for Bowden trade proposals.

#68 fenwaypaul

• 3144 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

On the spur of the moment Thursday my friend drove from Pennyghael to Craignure, took the ferry to Oban, drove from Oban to Glasgow, flew from Glasgow to Newark, then endured a grueling 5.5-hour holiday-weekend drive up to Boston with me just to attend the game today. Please win so he doesn't have to return to Mull sad and disappointed.

#69 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3565 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

I woke up this morning and had to throw on socks and a hoodie because it's a bit cold.

By my estimate, it's not quite winter yet.

We're 11 victories away from winter!

#70 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16241 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Game 3: October 9, 1999 at Fenway Park
The Red Sox returned home to Fenway Park for Game 3, one game from elimination and their hopes resting on oft-injured Ramon Martinez, who hoped to give his brother another chance to pitch in the series. The Indians would strike first, but the Red Sox bats finally woke up in the late innings. The Red Sox would score 6 runs in the 7th, led by a Brian Daubach 3-run shot off Indians reliever Ricardo Rincon on their way to a 9-3 victory. The Red Sox were alive for another day.

This fucking series is far from over. We will find out whether this team has balls like previous editions or if they just want to go home without a fight. There is no quit from me nor anyone on this board. It wouldn't be the Red Sox in the playoffs if there wasn't some adversity to overcome. They had a long cross-country flight and a day to forget about the 2 games in Anaheim. They aren't playing bad baseball. Two great starts from Lester and Beckett but the offense didn't come to play. Now, they are back home where they play the best baseball of any team in the league. The bats WILL AND I REPEAT WILL come today.

The question is: Will this man come to play? Will he give us everything he has? Win today and tomorrow the Angels will be tighter than hell. We've got nothing to lose. Go let it all hang out and play loose.

#71 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3379 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the SoCal sunshine fan will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their team; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of the Olde Town Team . Principalities, like hell, are not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

-Thomas F. Paine, Mofos. Let's get this started.

Edited by koufax32, 11 October 2009 - 08:28 AM.

#72 educatedcheese

• 777 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

I'm not ready to close the books on 2009.

Let's Go Red Sox!

#73 Trlicek's Whip

• 2973 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

Not the ideal way to move forward in the playoffs, but a manner to which the Boston Red Sox are accustomed. They're alive, awake, and aware.

Upset? Halos, you never SEEN Boston very upset.

Edited by Trlicek's Whip, 11 October 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#74 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7427 posts

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Oct 11 2009, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave Henderson will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 3 per Boston Herald

Donnie Moore could not be reached.

I'll always appreciate what Hendu did in '86, but this is not cool. It's stooping to Yankee desperation levels of Bucky throwing out the 1st pitch of '04 ALCS Game 7.

Edited by sfip, 11 October 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#75 thestardawg

• 265 posts

In 2003 I discovered SOSH.

In 2004, upon hearing Schilling was signing with the Sox, I purchased Sox season tickets. I was convinced this is the year.

I was right.

I remember reading the win it for thread, and wishing I could contribute. My grandfather had been born in 1918, and was terminally ill. He didn't have much time left.

But he did get to see his beloved Sox win it in 2004.

The last 6 years have been fantastic. great people in our section, good times. Almost getting into fights because of people trying to start the wave during 1-0 pitching duels.

One thing I do know.

Sox and their fans do not give up.

Clay is winning tonight.

Lester is winning tomorrow.

Beckett is winning Wednesday.

Who is going to play the role of Pedro or Lowe? I don't know. But it's always someone.

The Red Sox are the team of comebacks, and this is going to be our latest one.

Sox win 6-4 today, and I'll be watching from Section 38.

#76 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21264 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Win it for Schaefer Beer.
Win it for Narragansett Beer and the "I'm making fun of her" commercial (Fan From 1957 and similar era new fans?).
Win it for Tip Top Bread.
Win it for Hoods Ice Cream.
Win it for Moxie.
Win it for Ned Martin.
Win it for Curt Gowdy.

Win it for this old bastard who has an equipment failure he needs to fix and is DVRing it. Sometimes it really sucks to be the boss.

#77 pedro1918

• 2594 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Win today.

#78 Bdanahy14

• 1800 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Don't let us win today... don't let it happen.

because in if we win today, then Dice K (or JL?!) takes us 7 strong towards a victory in game 4. I mean, we WON'T lose in the Fens

and if that happens... if that happens, well - anything can happen in game 5. I saw Millar at the local Dunky's - he told me so.

New day, new breathe of air - I feel good. Not giddy like a pregnant or even an aborted pregnant school girl.

I am giddy like a proper, young, tight ass, nice boobs, short skirt and tight bloused school girl.

It is on,
Win.

Edited by Bdanahy14, 11 October 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#79 Norm Siebern

• 2765 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Henry V was on Direct tv last night. The omen is clear.

This is St. Crispian's Day

#80 cinnieb

• 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Win it for Ted.
Win it for Eunice.
Win it for all of Red Sox Nation.

It starts today.
That is all.

#81 Lynchie

• 1718 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord, about our enemies, ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to Hell. Amen."
-Lt. Colonel Hal Moore
From the film, We Were Soldiers 2002

#82 budcrew08

• 1947 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Here in the middle of Yankee country it is a beautiful fall day. It's cold, yes, but the trees are brightly colored with the rainbow of red, yellows and greens.

It's the time that Red Sox Nation has come to know as the time when the Sox come to play -- it's October. There's no way they lose today. The offense will awaken from its dormant state and will come back big.

Win today. Make it so.
(More Picard and Patrick Stewart mojo!)

#83 Muggsy's Squeeze

• 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

As a lurker for many years and a first-time poster all I can say is enough of this crap. WIN.

#84 Mr Jums

• 321 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

I'm going to be there today, Section 8. I have no intention of watching them be eliminated. Win fuckers, win.

Also, if they win, I'm posting naked pictures of SemperFidelisSox's sister

#85 fenwaysdad

• 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

What else can somebody from Nova Scotia add to this thread? Except get the bats going boys, pound the ball with no mercy and very simply WIN!

#86 jippaman

• 579 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Norm Siebern @ Oct 11 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Henry V was on Direct tv last night. The omen is clear.

This is St. Crispian's Day

Here's the text: St. Crispian's Day speech from Henry V. There is no Patton, no Braveheart, no Bluto without Shakespeare.

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

#87 DeltaForce

• 2900 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

Crazy stuff tends to happen when the Sox face elimination.

I remain confident in this team.

#88 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20849 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Courtesy of Mabrowndog:

The power of bacon!

#89 someoneanywhere

• 3162 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Buch: prove me wrong.

Or

Bats: get me 7 runs.

Bets: all off if either of these things happen. Win today, win tomorrow. Then win it by shoving 6 road runs up John Lackey's crybaby ass.

#90 NomarRS05

• 3301 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Here's to a quick hook today if Buchholz is in gopher ball mode.

#91 bosox188

• 1115 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Snodgrass'Muff @ Oct 11 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Courtesy of Mabrowndog:

The power of bacon!

He forgot kicking Pedroia's ass in cribbage.

#92 Max Power

• thai good. you like shirt?

• 2169 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Mr Jums @ Oct 11 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, if they win, I'm posting naked pictures of SemperFidelisSox's sister

Don't force me to root for the Angels.

#93 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38264 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

There's another pride of Texas...

Edited by mabrowndog, 11 October 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#94 mbsox19

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

With all due respect to Jose and his always entertaining and insightful "Keys"..I will offer my key to the game
HITS...not ready for the hot stove yet....let's WIN

#95 Rooster Crows

• 1107 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

This has been a schizoid season: every time they should have won, they lost - every time I gave up, they came back with a roar and went on winning streaks. You guys have another come back in you - kick ass and get it done . . . or go home. Back to fundamentals - hit the ball, run smart, defend well and pitch the hell out of the ball.

GO SOX - WIN TODAY!

#96 Brianish

• 4330 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Got up yesterday and watched the bottom of the 9th of game 4 of the 04 ALCS.

I'm revved up. Win 3 in a row.

Let's go, assholes.

#97 LaserShow

• 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

And it's time for a change.

Win.

#98 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

I'm going to be in a house full of loud and drunk Eagles fans today.

Win the game so I don't lose my sanity.

#99 Beauceron

• 17 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

#100 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23546 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

I dreamed last night that the starter had been changed to Bard. It was so vivid that I spent much of this morning thinking it was true and wondering how this could be.

It's not.

Let's win this one.