Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Ex-MLB pitcher Brian Powell commits suicide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37189 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

He shot himself and died Monday in Tallahassee, FL. Powell, a Georgia native and an All-American at UGA, would have turned 36 on Saturday. He leaves a wife and three kids.

link, more here

B-R.com page

He played for the Tigers, Astros, Phillies and Giants over parts of 6 seasons. On May 6, 2001, he threw a no-hitter for Houston's AAA New Orleans Zephyrs. He appeared in 3 games vs the Red Sox, twice in 1998 and once in 2004, going 1-1 with a 5.68 ERA. His final appearance vs Boston came at Fenway on 6/25/04 with the Phillies, when he was tagged for 4 ER in 1.1 IP in a 12-1 Sox rout.

Edited by mabrowndog, 07 October 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#2 William Robertson

• 3403 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Born Oct. 10, 1973, in Bainbridge, Mr. Powell died Monday, Oct. 5, at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare after a self-inflicted gunshot.

It's a sad story either way, but the first sentence of your post caught my attention with the implication that some health center failed to prevent a suicide. The way I read the sentence quoted above, from the first link, I would assume he died at the hospital after the deed was done elsewhere?

#3 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37189 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Wow, good catch. That wasn't my intent. I'll rephrase it. Thanks for the heads-up.