Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/30 - Halladay throws 40-pitch CG shutout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
348 replies to this topic

#1 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,599 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:56 AM

Guesses on awful awful lineup go here. I'll start (in no particular order)

C - Kottaras
1B - Kotchman
2B - Woodward
SS - Gonzalez
3B - Lowrie
CF - Anderson
RF - Reddick
LF - Gathright
DH - Who cares?

#2 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22,947 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

I'll relent to you good Dart.

Aka kissing your sister.

Thanks to mikeford:

#3 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,599 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

God bless your heart, DJ Heebatron.

#4 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22,947 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Sep 30 2009, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God bless your heart, DJ Heebatron.

God bless yours, good sir.

BTW, the pitcher will be hitting tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainLaddie, 30 September 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#5 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,599 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (CaptainLaddie @ Sep 30 2009, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not a very nice way to refer to Varitek.

#6 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Sep 30 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C - Kottaras
1B - Kotchman
2B - Woodward
SS - Gonzalez
3B - Lowrie
CF - Anderson
RF - Reddick
LF - Gathright
DH - Who cares?

Maybe Wake will take one for the team and stand there with a bat on his shoulder for 3 pitches? It's kinda funny that Tek is eliminated from the only game the rest of the way it makes sense to put him in.

#7 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:31 AM

the coolstandings rss was just sent out:

Games back (div): 10.5, Games ahead (wc): 6
Magic number (div): N/A, Magic number (wc): 0
Division status: Eliminated
Wild card status: Clinched
Playoff status: Clinched (POFF is 100.0%)

#8 shepard50

• 4,412 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

Somehow it's more real seeing the coolstandings RSS - thx for that.

I could care less about a W in this one, but I would love to see some bench guys have big games.

Specifically:

Some Gathrightousness on the basepaths
Kotchman do anything positive with the bat
Reddick go deep again
Cabrera get some clean innings in relief
Dusty Brown (maybe) gets a second AB for the season - (but I'd rather see Varitek in there because that would confirm that he is seen as a bench player at this point)

NB: I like YellowDart's lineup but I think Green gets the start at SS...

Edited by shepard50, 30 September 2009 - 04:03 AM.

#9 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,556 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

Torri Hunter:

"I don't want to hear about the history and any so-called Red Sox jinxes and hexes. I wasn't here for any of that. I know we can play with those guys, and that's the way every guy on this team feels."

The Angels are already talking. Not really bulletin board materiel stuff, but they seem confident. It's gonna be a war.

#10 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 30 2009, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Torri Hunter:

The Angels are already talking. Not really bulletin board materiel stuff, but they seem confident. It's gonna be a war.

There will be playoff baseball at Fenway Park this year, GO SOX! But for now, we wait and relax before next week's game.

Edited by SoxFan234, 30 September 2009 - 05:46 AM.

#11 OhBabyDontOrtizMe

• economic samurai

• 619 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

Nick Green?

Okay boys, congrats on the post-season berth. For the regular season:

Now don't get hurt. Don't talk trash to the Angels (I'm looking at you, Pedey). Don't start a relationship with Heidi. And feel free to win, if it makes you happy.

#12 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (OhBabyDontOrtizMe @ Sep 30 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nick Green?

Okay boys, congrats on the post-season berth. For the regular season:

Now don't get hurt. Don't talk trash to the Angels (I'm looking at you, Pedey). Don't start a relationship with Heidi. And feel free to win, if it makes you happy.

HA! Look at that Obama style teleprompter. That's funny.

#13 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9,613 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Torri Hunter:

Weird, I could've sworn he played CF for the Angels in 2008...

#14 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,429 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:54 AM

I know some people might be worried about the Sox "backing into" the playoffs, and that playing poorly down the stretch is a bad sign for playoff success. All possible, but just a couple of thoughts:

1. There is no such thing as "backing into" the playoffs, in my book. All teams start the year 0-0, and at the end of the year, the teams that either win the division or finish with the best non-division winning record make the playoffs. Everyone knows the deal in advance, so there are no surprises. There are no bonus points for winning games in September as opposed to April. Each win counts the exact same. All that matters is that, at the end, you have more than the other guys. And the Sox are guaranteed to finish the year with more wins than any other wild card contender, so they rightfully *EARNED* this playoff spot. Sure, it would have felt much better had Youks hit a 3-run, walkoff, what-a-comeback, homer that capped an amazing game and clinched the wild card in that moment...yeah, that would have felt a lot better I guess. But it's beside the point. The Sox earned this, no matter when their wins were achieved.

2. Good article in the Herald today (http://www.bostonher...e_means_little/) on recent championship teams not playing very well down the stretch. It kind of puts the whole kabosh on the idea that you have to be "hot" heading into the playoffs. You simply don't. If Lester, Beckett, Papelbon, et al pitch well, and the offense does its job, they'll win. If they don't, they'll lose. Pretty simple.

#15 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,388 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

My sister must be really hot, cause I don't really care how we got in.

#16 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,120 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

I still feel terrible that Amy K Nelson had to stay at Fenway until 1am last night. She is in my prayers.

#17 JimD

• 4,652 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Torri Hunter:

That's classic coming from a guy whose teams haven't gotten past the divisional round in four out of five tries.

#18 Lefty on the Mound

• SoSH Member

• 1,318 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

If the hottest team going into the playoffs were a mortal lock to win it all, then the Colorado Rockies would have been World Champions in 2007.

As long as the Red Sox stay healthy and sharp for the meaningful games next week, it's all good.

#19 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,388 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

"I don't want to hear about the history and any so-called Red Sox jinxes and hexes. I wasn't here for any of that. I know we can play with those guys, and that's the way every guy on this team feels." - Torii Hunter

O RLY?

I know players have short memories and everything but it's kind of amazing that he has already erased 2008 from his memory.

#20 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,588 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (rembrat @ Sep 30 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O RLY?

I know players have short memories and everything but it's kind of amazing that he has already erased 2008 from his memory.

He said he wasn't there for any jinxes or hexes, so obviously he's saying that in '08 we beat them on the merits.

#21 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,526 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (shepard50 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NB: I like YellowDart's lineup but I think Green gets the start at SS...

Are you aware Green is injured and might not be available for the playoffs?

#22 Harry Agganis

• 3,272 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I think we get the A lineup today to get Wake a win. We start with scrubs tomorrow.

#23 GreenMonster49

• 186 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Why are we caring so much about John McDonald?

#24 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Savin Hillbilly @ Sep 30 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said he wasn't there for any jinxes or hexes, so obviously he's saying that in '08 we beat them on the merits.

Didn't he say (while almost in tears) after they lost last year that the better team lost?

#25 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,588 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 30 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't he say (while almost in tears) after they lost last year that the better team lost?

OK, so he's just full of shit.

#26 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,785 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Harry Agganis @ Sep 30 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we get the A lineup today to get Wake a win. We start with scrubs tomorrow.

I agree with this. It might be the last game of his career

#27 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,120 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (E5 Yaz @ Sep 30 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this. It might be the last game of his career

Agreed.

I think Tito will want to send him off with a decent chance at winning.

The Indians will see the total scrub squad.

#28 NoLastCall125

• 524 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 30 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have sworn that was Lacky that said that. And it wasn't in tears, it was full of rage. Epic.

Still, these Angels are too confident for a team that's had their asses handed to them by the Sox in the playoffs since the dawn of time. And I'm pretty sure Hunter is spooked to play in center in Fenway.

I still think that's one of the ugliest ankle injuries (especially with his spikes getting caught to the padding of the wall) I've ever seen aside from these two gems...

...and I'm sure he'd agree (I actually remember a way better picture in an old ESPN magazine of the Kendall one, but can't find it...you're better off not seeing it anyway, the image has stuck with me for roughly 10 years...ugh).

Plus they aren't as good as they were last year. Oh well. I think another sweep is in order once the ALDS hits, but I know it will never shut them the fuck up.

Edited by NoLastCall125, 30 September 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#29 MakMan44

• stole corsi's dream

• 13,182 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 30 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed.

And rightfully so. The Indians suck

#30 mBiferi

• 177 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

Well, if this is Wakefield's last start, he probably won't get a win:

Lineup:
Gathright (CF)
Reddick (LF)
Kotchman
Ortiz
Baldelli (RF)
Kottaras
Gonzalez
Lowrie (3B)
Woodward (2B)

edit: clarity.

Edited by mBiferi, 30 September 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#31 hitting .525 in 1983

• 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

I still think that's one of the ugliest ankle injuries (especially with his spikes getting caught to the padding of the wall) I've ever seen aside from these two gems...

and now I'm walking with a limp for no reason... thanks

#32 donutogre

• 1,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Just saw that lineup...wow. Truly stunning.

#33 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,120 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (donutogre @ Sep 30 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saw that lineup...wow. Truly stunning.

Thread title is not an exaggeration.

#34 joe dokes

• 3,074 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (mBiferi @ Sep 30 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lineup:
Gathright (CF)
Reddick (LF)
Kotchman
Ortiz
Baldelli (RF)
Kottaras
Gonzalez
Lowrie (3B)
Woodward (2B)

1) Wakefield will be back. He'll have his surgery. He'll start the season in the rotation (esp now that we know that they dont need a special catcher for him); and serve as a place-holder for the next guy that needs some seasoning. He's like a rabbit in the 10,000 meters. I know it seems like 54 years ago, but even if he didn't quite "deserve" the all-star spot, he was still pretty damn good through the first half.

2) Looks like Tito has no intention of letting Ortiz "preserve" the 100 OPS+ that he's worked all season to get to. smile.gif

#35 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Sep 30 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C - Kottaras
1B - Kotchman
2B - Woodward
SS - Gonzalez
3B - Lowrie
CF - Anderson
RF - Reddick
LF - Gathright
DH - Who cares?

Pretty damn close. Baldelli (RF) instead of Anderson, Gathright in CF, Reddick in LF, Ortiz at DH.

#36 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (ivanvamp @ Sep 30 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know some people might be worried about the Sox "backing into" the playoffs, and that playing poorly down the stretch is a bad sign for playoff success. All possible, but just a couple of thoughts:

1. There is no such thing as "backing into" the playoffs, in my book. All teams start the year 0-0, and at the end of the year, the teams that either win the division or finish with the best non-division winning record make the playoffs. Everyone knows the deal in advance, so there are no surprises. There are no bonus points for winning games in September as opposed to April. Each win counts the exact same. All that matters is that, at the end, you have more than the other guys. And the Sox are guaranteed to finish the year with more wins than any other wild card contender, so they rightfully *EARNED* this playoff spot. Sure, it would have felt much better had Youks hit a 3-run, walkoff, what-a-comeback, homer that capped an amazing game and clinched the wild card in that moment...yeah, that would have felt a lot better I guess. But it's beside the point. The Sox earned this, no matter when their wins were achieved.

2. Good article in the Herald today (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20090930sox_slide_means_little/) on recent championship teams not playing very well down the stretch. It kind of puts the whole kabosh on the idea that you have to be "hot" heading into the playoffs. You simply don't. If Lester, Beckett, Papelbon, et al pitch well, and the offense does its job, they'll win. If they don't, they'll lose. Pretty simple.

Says a lot right there. Cooler heads now prevailing and logic presiding over the situation. We are where we wanted to be at the start of the season, in the playoffs. Everyone starts at zero...everyone. We can match up with anyone. Sure the MFY's have been devastating lately but you still gotta play the games. I like our chances. Enough of the whining that's been going on! Wild Cards can win championships, lest we forget.

#37 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,622 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (joe dokes @ Sep 30 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Wakefield will be back. He'll have his surgery. He'll start the season in the rotation (esp now that we know that they dont need a special catcher for him); and serve as a place-holder for the next guy that needs some seasoning. He's like a rabbit in the 10,000 meters. I know it seems like 54 years ago, but even if he didn't quite "deserve" the all-star spot, he was still pretty damn good through the first half.

2) Looks like Tito has no intention of letting Ortiz "preserve" the 100 OPS+ that he's worked all season to get to. smile.gif

I'd love it if Ortiz reached 30/100 this year after the terrible start. Would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Check your PMs, bub. smile.gif

#38 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Smiling Joe Hesketh @ Sep 30 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love it if Ortiz reached 30/100 this year after the terrible start. Would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Check your PMs, bub. smile.gif

I think he deserves every shot to get there. He's been swinging the bat very well lately, nice for him to get some relaxed "in the groove" AB's for the rest of the week.

#39 Masamune42

• 492 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (mBiferi @ Sep 30 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lineup:
Gathright (CF)
Reddick (LF)
Kotchman
Ortiz
Baldelli (RF)
Kottaras
Gonzalez
Lowrie (3B)
Woodward (2B)

I would have used Brian Anderson as the DH tonight and had Varitek catch Wake to amuse me, but otherwise that's about what I predicted in yesterday's game thread (had Green instead of Gonzalez, but that's already been discussed here, didn't know Green was hurt quite so badly)

#40 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Masamune42 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have used Brian Anderson as the DH tonight and had Varitek catch Wake to amuse me, but otherwise that's about what I predicted in yesterday's game thread (had Green instead of Gonzalez, but that's already been discussed here, didn't know Green was hurt quite so badly)

A little Kama Sutra with Heidi and he threw his back out.

#41 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

Anyone with any thoughts on the Indian's managerial opening today? John Farrell apparently a front runner regardless of his contract limitations (not supposed to take a manager position until after 2010).

#42 joe dokes

• 3,074 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Smiling Joe Hesketh @ Sep 30 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With this lineup, it might take 4 solo HRs to get the needed RsBI. sad.gif

#43 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (mauidano @ Sep 30 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone with any thoughts on the Indian's managerial opening today? John Farrell apparently a front runner regardless of his contract limitations (not supposed to take a manager position until after 2010).

Farrell for Hagadone

#44 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,785 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

The Sox have lost 5 in a row

Boston has been a better team than this through the season

The Jays have won 5 in a row

Toronto has been a worse team than this through the season

The Red Sox will win tonight

#45 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,556 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

That may be a bad lineup, but Halladay stopped giving a shit weeks ago.

They will pull this out.

#46 hitting .525 in 1983

• 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

WOW! I'm not sure that you could trade that enitre lineup for Halladay in the offseason.

#47 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,878 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 30 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed.

Fuck that noise. Playoff Tito is back in town! Fuck Wake's last start. Fuck meaningless games. Get geared up for the playoffs no matter what.

I like it.

#48 Masamune42

• 492 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (hitting .525 in 1983 @ Sep 30 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW! I'm not sure that you could trade that enitre lineup for Halladay in the offseason.

You'd have to have a gun to the head of whoever replaces JP for them to even begin to consider that trade. A big gun.

I probably still wouldn't do it.

#49 shepard50

• 4,412 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Lose Remerswaal @ Oct 1 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you aware Green is injured and might not be available for the playoffs?

I am sir, but I drink to excess and I am the worse for any kind of sustained comprehension or meaningful ongoing intelligence. Also, I thought he was going to play today (it is actually Oct 2) to show he is ready for the playoffs.

MLB player news

#50 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,050 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Masamune42 @ Sep 30 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd have to have a gun to the head of whoever replaces JP for them to even begin to consider that trade. A big gun.

I probably still wouldn't do it.

You want Halladay for that lineup? Just take on Vernon Wells along with Halladay, and the deal was available in August.

The Exploding Wells... his contract, his waistline, his fragments all over JP Ricciardi's face.