Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Lets try something different ... win 3 games then play the AAA team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
663 replies to this topic

#651 xpisblack

• 2658 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 27 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When was the last time a team won the World Series with a losing record on the road during the regular season?

I can't imagine it's happened a whole heck of a lot.

I think the Cardinals were 34-47 on the road in 2006. The Marlins were 38-43 away in 2003. Something like that.

EDIT: Shit, late to the party.

Edited by xpisblack, 27 September 2009 - 05:43 PM.

#652 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20062 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Smiling Joe Hesketh @ Sep 27 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And failed to catch a foul tip that would have ended the inning.

Every time I think he's hit rock bottom he shows he can go still lower. He might be the worst catcher in baseball.

He might literally be the worst player in baseball at this point.

#653 joelmon

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Why is it gibberish? I was told the Patriots were a sure thing in 2007 as well as the Mets. I had reasons at those points
to counter them. I was told by Genius Met fans that the 2007 team had no need to worry about the .500 record from June to September.

If you think CC and AJ and the bottom part of that pen won't be affected by the post-season, that's fine. But it's not 'feel good' gibberish
if I honestly believe you will be knocked out of the first round. I stand by my prediction that the Angels will make the world series
until I see a reason to believe otherwise. They are flawed, but so were the 2006 Cardinals and 2008 Phillies.

It's easy to toss out insults and win cute internet battles, but it's another thing to back a point up. So let's just wait and see what happens, shall we? I won't hide, I can promise you that. I can be a man if I am wrong but I sure hope to see you if you are. Hey, I was worried about Bard and I read here all the feel good gibberish about how he should be a closer and Paps should be traded. I guess if I had stated how silly all of that was, I would have been told to eat a pumpkin pie. Right?

For the 'joelmon imapired', what I am saying is that This isn't the place to knock down others, when most of this board wanted Beckett out of town in 2006, Bard to close in 2009 among other dud predictions. We'll see what happens. I also run my own message board and you are welcome to get guest access and see whether or not I know my shit. I don't hide anything nor demand anything.

I thank the mods for letting me post and will keep it at that. I just wanted to reply to that one poster. Congrats on the wild card. It was well earned.

Edited by joelmon, 27 September 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#654 judyb

• 3332 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (DieHardSoxFan1 @ Sep 27 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's extremely frustrating. The Red Sox' road woes can be chalked up to a spotty offense that displays an alarming lack of power away from Fenway. Lowell and Pedroia -- slugging .384 and .386 on the road, respectively -- are neutralized by fastballs on the outer-half. Scoring without the benefit of a HR seems impossible when Ellsbury isn't on base (which he wasn't this weekend) and Youkilis is scuffling.

It isn't really just that, they actually pitch better at home, too, or defend better, or a combination of both. That's a little unusual for a team that plays in such a hitter-friendly home park.

#655 Rudy's Curve

• 1124 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 27 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When was the last time a team won the World Series with a losing record on the road during the regular season?

The Sox went 43-38 in 2004. If a 43-38 team won it all yet you think a 39-42 team can't because it happened to be a losing record, I don't know what to tell you.

Plus, the Sox haven't exactly been exposed on the road in the playoffs. They're 18-11 there since 2003 with teams that had similar road records as this team.

#656 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20631 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

The Sox only won 39 on the road last year and were 1 game away from returning to the World Series. Last year's Rays were 40-41 and they went to the series (where they still had home field advantage). The 2006 Cardinals only won 34 games on the road. The 2004 Red Sox only won 4 more games on the road than this team has. The 2003 Marlins only won 38 on the road.

In other words, a losing road record doesn't mean all that much. Hell, most teams that have winning records on the road are barely over .500 when they do.

Edited by Snodgrass'Muff, 27 September 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#657 xpisblack

• 2658 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (joelmon @ Sep 27 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess if I had stated how silly all of that was, I would have been told to eat a pumpkin pie. Right?

I assure you that I, for one, would not have told you to eat a pumpkin pie given this eventuality.

Edited by xpisblack, 27 September 2009 - 05:56 PM.

#658 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1470 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

And failed to catch a foul tip that would have ended the inning.

Every time I think he\'s hit rock bottom he shows he can go still lower. He might be the worst catcher in baseball.

Only to have Cano FO to end the inning. But that CS was a thing of beauty, maybe he felt bad for Cano for being a corpse and gave him one more swing. Cano might go down in the history books as Teks last CS.

Nice game by Byrd as well, must be Teks pitch calling. Too bad the bats go lifeless at the first sign of quality pitching on the road, so all for nothing.

Not really. Any combination of 3 Red Sox wins or 3 Rangers losses clinches it. Considering the Sox are 52-22 at home this year and Texas is 37-37 on the road with the Sox playing at home and the Rangers on the road the rest of the season... I\'m pretty confident that we\'re going to the post season.

Not to mention the Rangers play 4 against the Angels on the road and the Red Sox go against Blue Jays and Indians. Even our ST lineups should win 6 of 7 against them at home. To me it's all over, but the players don't get their champagne until it's mathematically clinched. Hope the bubbles don't go up anyones nose, nose injuries can linger.

Edited by paulftodd, 27 September 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#659 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Magic number is 2, bitches.

#660 futureman

• 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (joelmon @ Sep 27 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it gibberish? I was told the Patriots were a sure thing in 2007 as well as the Mets. I had reasons at those points
to counter them. I was told by Genius Met fans that the 2007 team had no need to worry about the .500 record from June to September.

If you think CC and AJ and the bottom part of that pen won't be affected by the post-season, that's fine. But it's not 'feel good' gibberish
if I honestly believe you will be knocked out of the first round. I stand by my prediction that the Angels will make the world series
until I see a reason to believe otherwise. They are flawed, but so were the 2006 Cardinals and 2008 Phillies.

It's easy to toss out insults and win cute internet battles, but it's another thing to back a point up. So let's just wait and see what happens, shall we? I won't hide, I can promise you that. I can be a man if I am wrong but I sure hope to see you if you are. Hey, I was worried about Bard and I read here all the feel good gibberish about how he should be a closer and Paps should be traded. I guess if I had stated how silly all of that was, I would have been told to eat a pumpkin pie. Right?

For the 'joelmon imapired', what I am saying is that This isn't the place to knock down others, when most of this board wanted Beckett out of town in 2006, Bard to close in 2009 among other dud predictions. We'll see what happens. I also run my own message board and you are welcome to get guest access and see whether or not I know my shit. I don't hide anything nor demand anything.

I thank the mods for letting me post and will keep it at that. I just wanted to reply to that one poster. Congrats on the wild card. It was well earned.

CC could just as easily continue pitching like he has over his last 10 starts because unlike the last two post seasons he hasn't been ridden like a mule. AJ, well, AJ is AJ and he could just as easily be a stud as be a chump. And yes experience is nice but inexperienced teams win the World Series too. And even if every single outcome you describe were to happen, it doesn't imply that any of your analysis is correct because baseball is a crazy game when you look at really small sample sizes.

#661 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6951 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (futureman @ Sep 27 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CC could just as easily continue pitching like he has over his last 10 starts because unlike the last two post seasons he hasn't been ridden like a mule. AJ, well, AJ is AJ and he could just as easily be a stud as be a chump. And yes experience is nice but inexperienced teams win the World Series too. And even if every single outcome you describe were to happen, it doesn't imply that any of your analysis is correct because baseball is a crazy game when you look at really small sample sizes.

Nothing like last year down the stretch, but he's going to top 230 IP. It's really a matter of when the last three years cumulative effect will hit his arm. Could be in October, maybe not.

#662 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (joelmon @ Sep 27 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except that the Yankees weren't .500 from June to September.

From June 1 to today, the Yankees are 71-35.

A .670 playing percentage is just a tad better than limping into the playoffs, no?

And in just September they are 17-8.

#663 Zen

• 515 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Kilgore A. Trout @ Sep 27 2009, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And some meaningless nonsense to get this gamethread back on top...
I'm gonna wear my Yankees suck shirt today. It's bad luck, but screw it, I'm doing it anyway. All the good luck moves don't seem to be working. If the Yankees clinch today and I have to see them doing their little grab ass on the field in front of my team, then I want everyone for the rest of the day to know damn well what a bitter and petty human being I am towards them. Not that many people will care or even notice, but if my small minded gesture can influence that one small child with a lasting memory of what a douchebag I am about the New York Yankees, then I feel the gesture will be worth it.

To make your wish come true, I showed this post to my son, and told him that this is what Sox fans are like.

You're welcome. smile.gif

#664 rundugrun

• 412 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

The 2006 St. Louis Cardinals had a regular season road record of 34-47.

EDIT: I'm way late to this party. It pays to read the rest of the thread before responding...

Edited by rundugrun, 28 September 2009 - 08:17 AM.