Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Taking One For The Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
517 replies to this topic

#51 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (DieHardSoxFan1 @ Sep 22 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me get this straight. We're afraid of a pitcher with 14 wins? Pfft.

Exactly as many wins as Lincecum and Lester.

#52 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,300 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Sep 22 2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Francona starting Varitek against the best pitcher in baseball is a pretty clear sign that there isn't going to be a division push of any sort.

Francona has used "reduced" line-ups against aces on several occasions this season (and in the past). Whether it's because he doesn't view them as truly reduced, he worries that facing an ace can get some players out of whack, he just wants to keep everyone involved or a combination of all those factors and several others, I don't think it's fair to say that playing Tek is an indication that he's throwing in the towel for the division.

Then again, I'd rather go to the dentist between 8-11 PM tonight than see Tek in the line-up.

#53 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Byrd/Grienke is such a one-sided matchup that we have to win just to fuck up the universe.

Edited by SoxFan234, 22 September 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#54 Rudy's Curve

• 1,132 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

On the bright side, this could mean Martinez is catching Beckett tomorrow.

#55 hitting .525 in 1983

• 33 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

What are you guys so afraid of? The Royals are only 15-15 when this chump starts.

but 47-73 when he doesn't

#56 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, 100% of men who suffer from depression and anxiety are little bitches.

#57 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (DieHardSoxFan1 @ Sep 22 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me get this straight. We're afraid of a pitcher with 14 wins? Pfft.

No, we're afraid the demons may escape his brain and devour us all.

#58 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Al Zarilla @ Sep 22 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly as many wins as Lincecum and Lester.

Andddddd you didn't get it.

#59 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Oh, and this will be Greinke after tonight:

emot-smithicide.gif

#60 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (DieHardSoxFan1 @ Sep 22 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andddddd you didn't get it.

sad.gif Now I may have to take more Zoloft.

#61 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Yazdog8 @ Sep 22 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is Tek hitting in the 8 spot? Don't pitchers usually hit in the 9 slot? Unless you're playing for Tony LaRussa...

Probably bc Tek's one offensive skill is that he might walk once in a while. Neither situation is very likely, but AGon has a better chance of driving in Tek(~10% ) than Tek does of driving in AGon(0%). Nobody want's Seabass flopping around on the bases for any length of time. They start to stink.

They do have to rest VMart sometime so he can start every playoff game. smile.gif

If they had not totally choked last night, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Some pitchers are just tough. As it is, it's annoying though.

Edited by BucketOBalls, 22 September 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#62 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

I'm going to backwash and complaining about people being mean to Greinke.

#63 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,702 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Complain about Kruk talking nonsense on SC right now: "To me, Greinke has to run the table to win the Cy, because he needs the wins." Ponderous.

#64 The Smart Dope

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then maybe I get a good word in if I say nice things about Zach? Here goes:

1) His recovery from depression is incredible, just ask Remy. Like always preceeds baseball, even if it my life.
2) his tRA is 2.73! If that isn't dominant, what is? Holy DeJesus!
3) His FIP is EVEN lower- 2.30.
4) Through all of this, his BABIP is .314... he might be getting UNLUCKY in the storybook year. Wow.
5) Sure, Fangraphs overvalues players. but they put him worth $38.5 million this year. Is that a record for an active player?
6) His stats above replacements are incredible- 77.0 RAR; 8.6 WAR.
7) WPA this year? Off the charts; 5.30.
8) The 24 out states agree here, too, especially his RE24 which is 52.07.
9) 5.09 K/BB ratio. For a starter. Nuff said.
10) How does a 204 ERA+ this year sound?

Enough can not be said. This is incredible, I don't care if it's the AL Central... just, WOW.

EDIT:

QUOTE (Smiling Joe Hesketh @ Sep 22 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Complain about Kruk talking nonsense on SC right now: "To me, Greinke has to run the table to win the Cy, because he needs the wins." Ponderous.

It might be nonsense for the minds at SoSH, but, you and I both know the current writers are foolish enough to think wins are important, ultimately affecting who wins the Cy Young. I'm annoyed with what Kruk is saying, because he's dumb and doesn't know what he's talking about here, (see above metrics) but, he's got a point, when you think about it.

Edited by The Smart Dope, 22 September 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#65 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

Kruk is a fat turd.

I had a whole bunch of other points I was going to make, but I think that actually covers most of it.

#66 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Al Zarilla @ Sep 22 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure, but I think those are more for the low phase of bipolar disorders. Lithium has classically been used for the highs and then maintenance or stabilization. Any psychiatrists in the house? Anyway, we're getting Greinke, no matter what he's on, and he's good. I'd like to see him and compare him to, say, Tim Lincecum, but no TV for me. MLB Network doesn't have it, nor do any of the other national networks that I can see. Must suck to play for KC or Pittsburgh.

Lithium is still widely prescribed for bipolar disorder, as it's quite good at reducing mania, and is also useful for fending off suicide. It is also usually prescribed in lower doses than it was 40 years ago, as the idea is not to just turn someone with the disorder into a crash test dummy, but rather to help him/her live a semi-normal life.

As I type, it is being reported that Delonte West of the Cavs, has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Just 5 years ago, we simply would never have heard about this stuff.

#67 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,026 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

We should have a pool where we can guess the combined number of feet Tek puts the ball in play tonight against Greinke.

I'd say there is at least a 20% chance he doesn't at all.

#68 WayneHousieHOF

• wants you to hate boston teams like him

• 612 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

This is the Royals' season tonight. Right here, right now.

pathetic.

#69 Steven S. Dallas

• 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (luckysox @ Sep 22 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I type, it is being reported that Delonte West of the Cavs, has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Just 5 years ago, we simply would never have heard about this stuff.
I think he was diagnosed as bipolar a few years ago, but it's coming out after he was arrested for riding around on a motorcycle while carrying a small arsenal in a guitar case strapped to his back.

Now that's manic.

#70 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Anybody who doesn't vote for Greinke as the Cy Young will be forever dead to me. Perfect litmus test.

#71 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (bosockboy @ Sep 22 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We should have a pool where we can guess the combined number of feet Tek puts the ball in play tonight against Greinke.

I'd say there is at least a 20% chance he doesn't at all.

Do pop-outs behind the plate count as negative in the total?

#72 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

Kruk is now dead to me.

#73 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

"Hes not going to pitch better by not pitching. We're not going to give up on him." - -Tito on MDC. emot-smithicide.gif

#74 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1,630 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 22 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"He's not going to pitch better by not pitching. We're not going to give up on him." - -Tito on MDC. emot-smithicide.gif

Why? It worked for Dice-K, didn't it?

#75 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 22 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Hes not going to pitch better by not pitching. We're not going to give up on him." - -Tito on MDC. emot-smithicide.gif

I don't get this. When he said the same thing about Gagne two years ago, it was plausible because we really had nobody else to turn to besides Okajima. This year's bullpen has it's issues too, but even if Delcarmen does what he is capable of, I don't see how they need him at all.

#76 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get this. When he said the same thing about Gagne two years ago, it was plausible because we really had nobody else to turn to besides Okajima. This year's bullpen has it's issues too, but even if Delcarmen does what he is capable of, I don't see how they need him at all.

Well in defense of Tito the Sox are pretty much 100% guaranteed to win the WC at this point. Can't hurt to give him a few more chances to get things turned around.

#77 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,300 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

Given the odds on losing the WC and over-taking the Yankees, I have no problem with this...until it comes time to assemble the post-season roster.

#78 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 22 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well in defense of Tito the Sox are pretty much 100% guaranteed to win the WC at this point. Can't hurt to give him a few more chances to get things turned around.

I guess. Can we still tar and feather him?

#79 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess. Can we still tar and feather him?

Hopefully he and Tek both get hit by a meteor or something.

#80 CantKeepmedown

• 398 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Mike & Mike were saying the same thing the other morning. "You're tellling me you want to give the Cy Young to someone with 14 wins? Really?" It was painful.

#81 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (The Smart Dope @ Sep 23 2009, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then maybe I get a good word in if I say nice things about Zach? Here goes:

1) His recovery from depression is incredible, just ask Remy. Like always preceeds baseball, even if it my life.

snip

10) How does a 204 ERA+ this year sound?

Enough can not be said. This is incredible, I don't care if it's the AL Central... just, WOW.

He has yet to pitch a single game against the Red Sox or MFY. The AL central is a notch above the NL central, in other words, AAAA stuff. Nuff said. Give him the Dinardo treatment and send him and his Cy Young chances to the moon.

I don't want to see MDC or Bard in this game or I might get depressed.

And to the guy who said Tito did not want to skip over any starters and maintain the rotation, unless we have a 6 man rotation, either Wake or Byrd ain't in it. So basically Tito seems to be going to a 6 man rotation to finish off the season.

My proposal to MLB to ensure teams do not walk away from a division chamionship run in favour of getting in via the WC is to modify the WC rules. Since it is an unbalanced schedule, going by W-L does not ensure the best 2nd place team gets the WC. So just put every team that finished in 2nd place in a lottery, and determine it this way. In this way, there is no certainty a 2nd place finish with the best record among 2nd place finishers will get you the WC. The only certainty for getting in the playoffs is the division champ. Does it ensure the best 2nd place team is in the WC? No. But the AL central division champ is the 7th best team in the AL, so who cares. The system is already so screwed up as to be meaningless, but ensuring teams play the full 162 game schedule at maximum until they are eliminated or clinch the division championship is the important thing.

In honour of Tito for prompting this rule change, we may call it the Tito's WC lottery. No knock on Tito, he played by the rules, but rules can change.

#82 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Steven S. Dallas @ Sep 22 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he was diagnosed as bipolar a few years ago, but it's coming out after he was arrested for riding around on a motorcycle while carrying a small arsenal in a guitar case strapped to his back.

Now that's manic.

EEK. Guns and bipolar do not mix well.

#83 Steven S. Dallas

• 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (CantKeepmedown @ Sep 22 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mike & Mike were saying the same thing the other morning. "You're tellling me you want to give the Cy Young to someone with 14 wins? Really?" It was painful.
Can those guys even count that high?

It's pretty likely to me that Greinke and Hernandez split the votes of the writers who are actually paying attention, allowing BP Sabathia to walk through that door.

#84 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,487 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

I didn't know Jim Rice was Japanese.

#85 Jungleland

• 606 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (paulftodd @ Sep 22 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has yet to pitch a single game against the Red Sox or MFY. The AL central is a notch above the NL central, in other words, AAAA stuff. Nuff said. Give him the Dinardo treatment and send him and his Cy Young chances to the moon.

I don't want to see MDC or Bard in this game or I might get depressed.

And to the guy who said Tito did not want to skip over any starters and maintain the rotation, unless we have a 6 man rotation, either Wake or Byrd ain't in it. So basically Tito seems to be going to a 6 man rotation to finish off the season.

My proposal to MLB to ensure teams do not walk away from a division chamionship run in favour of getting in via the WC is to modify the WC rules. Since it is an unbalanced schedule, going by W-L does not ensure the best 2nd place team gets the WC. So just put every team that finished in 2nd place in a lottery, and determine it this way. In this way, there is no certainty a 2nd place finish with the best record among 2nd place finishers will get you the WC. The only certainty for getting in the playoffs is the division champ. Does it ensure the best 2nd place team is in the WC? No. But the AL central division champ is the 7th best team in the AL, so who cares. The system is already so screwed up as to be meaningless, but ensuring teams play the full 162 game schedule at maximum until they are eliminated or clinch the division championship is the important thing.

In honour of Tito for prompting this rule change, we may call it the Tito's WC lottery. No knock on Tito, he played by the rules, but rules can change.

At the risk of exposing myself as a jackass, am I missing some serious sarcasm in this post?

#86 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

"He's not going to pitch better by not pitching. We're not going to give up on him." - -Tito on MDC. emot-smithicide.gif

It's just Tito. I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about Gagne in 2007 right before burying him until the 11th inning of game 2 of the ALCS when he came out AFTER Javier Lopez.

I love Tito as a manager, but what he says about struggling players is pretty much meaningless.

QUOTE (PeaceSignMoose @ Sep 22 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know Jim Rice was Japanese.

He's only turning Japanese. I think so.

#87 plolli

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

Treatment of social anxiety disorder usually is done with a combination of therapy and medication. The most commonly used medications are SSRI's and Paxil (Paroxetine), one of the SSRI's, has been advertised rather heavily by its manufacturer, SmithKlineBeecham, as the front line treatment for social anxiety disorder. Certainly Lithium would not be a likely medication for social anxiety disorder. Most common side effects of Paxil are nausea and sleepiness, and they usually go away after a month or two. Sometimes it works splendidly, other times not so great...which might lead to another SSRI. Xanax is more likely to be prescribed for warding off potential acute periods of anxiety (e.g. anxiety attacks) rather than for a baseline condition. BTW, Paxil is also prescribed for skittish cats. Didn't do anything for my sweet but jumpy Maine Coon. Love those VMart numbers against Greinke!

#88 Reggie's Racquet

• 1,854 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Win. Damn it.

So my 80 year old mother called today to tell me that there was a terrorist watch at sports stadiums. I told her I would be okay if they took out The Meadowlands and Yankees stadium (after we sweep). She said that was not funny. Is that so wrong?

#89 OhBabyDontOrtizMe

• economic samurai

• 619 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

#90 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,644 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Quick, someone make an emo joke. I don't think anyone has done that yet.

#91 OhBabyDontOrtizMe

• economic samurai

• 619 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (rembrat @ Sep 22 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate the muppets.

#92 Hoser Awfulman

• 535 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (plolli @ Sep 22 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Treatment of social anxiety disorder usually is done with a combination of therapy and medication. The most commonly used medications are SSRI's and Paxil (Paroxetine), one of the SSRI's, has been advertised rather heavily by its manufacturer, SmithKlineBeecham, as the front line treatment for social anxiety disorder. Certainly Lithium would not be a likely medication for social anxiety disorder. Most common side effects of Paxil are nausea and sleepiness, and they usually go away after a month or two. Sometimes it works splendidly, other times not so great...which might lead to another SSRI. Xanax is more likely to be prescribed for warding off potential acute periods of anxiety (e.g. anxiety attacks) rather than for a baseline condition. BTW, Paxil is also prescribed for skittish cats. Didn't do anything for my sweet but jumpy Maine Coon. Love those VMart numbers against Greinke!

For the record I am the biggest Red Sox fan on SoSH and tonight it will be proven.

I broke into Greinke's hotel room in Seattle a few weeks ago and replaced his Paxil with sugar pills.

Finally, just to make sure, I've been sending him letters, the last of which was a DVD of "The Fan", in which I taped a picture of his face over Wesley Snipes, with a note saying "this is YOU".

My intensity for Red Sox baseball knows no bounds. Go Sox.

#93 The Smart Dope

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Since I make statistics in my spare time: Emoness = (Delcarmen + Gagne + Varitek) * Lowell's speed in MPH / hates of the above by all SoSH posters

Sorry if it offends anyone:

Sammy Davis Jr. was brought up in a poor colored family, but grew up in a rich Jewish home.

Edited by The Smart Dope, 22 September 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#94 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,644 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

And just like that, the GT comes to a screeching halt. Bravo.

#95 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (rembrat @ Sep 22 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go slit your wrists bro.

#96 OhBabyDontOrtizMe

• economic samurai

• 619 posts

QUOTE (rembrat @ Sep 22 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I blame Sean Casey.

#97 Steven S. Dallas

• 0 posts

QUOTE (Hoser Awfulman @ Sep 22 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I broke into Greinke's hotel room in Seattle a few weeks ago and replaced his Paxil with sugar pills.

Finally, just to make sure, I've been sending him letters, the last of which was a DVD of "The Fan", in which I taped a picture of his face over Wesley Snipes, with a note saying "this is YOU".

Ha! He's going to be so socially anxious out there!

#98 The Smart Dope

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (OhBabyDontOrtizMe @ Sep 22 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I blame Sean Casey.

You guys have it all wrong, again.

I blame Lugo.

#99 bosox188

• 1,147 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.

#100 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

2002 Paul Byrd will remain the Royal with most wins in a season since 2000, even with Greinke's season. That's funny.