Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/21 - Magic Number = 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
890 replies to this topic

#851 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6951 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Well that was fucking terrible.

Tired of playing the blame game, no matter now.

Huge opportunity lost.

#852 Reggie's Racquet

• 1760 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Can we just play the Orioles the rest of the season?

#853 God's Cop

• Your friendly neighborhood CuntyBollocks

• 690 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

Shower of shite, especially with the Yanks playing the Angles. Not to mention the match-up tomorrow, brutal.
A loss is bound to happen sooner or later, I just banked on it happening tomorrow night, not tonight. Jesus Christ.

#854 Brianish

• 4327 posts

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Sep 21 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct.

Did you just call yourself a pussy?

#855 normstalls

• 1972 posts

MDC is a frickin joke.

#856 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41768 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

This isn't a fucking playoff team it is a SHAMEFUL DISGRACE.

Fuck Tito, and fuck Beckett.

#857 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1470 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Reggie's Racquet @ Sep 22 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's see if Tito really wants to win this one...Reddick not Drew. I guess we have the answer.

Can't really blame Tito for this one though. MDC and Bard just sucked. KCR had been playing well against crappy teams, but no way this should have carried over.

#858 rundugrun

• 412 posts

Horrible loss... From Tito leaving in Wake for the "win", to the bullpen shitting itself, to leaving JD Drew on the bench... The Yankees are going to lose and we just lost a great opportunity to gain on them.

#859 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20060 posts

QUOTE (Ed Hillel @ Sep 21 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

#860 Reggie's Racquet

• 1760 posts

QUOTE (Ed Hillel @ Sep 21 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you Jule6's little sister?

#861 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (rundugrun @ Sep 21 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Yankees are going to lose

Seriously, did this game teach you nothing?

#862 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41768 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Reggie's Racquet @ Sep 21 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you Jule6's little sister?

lol

#863 Reggie's Racquet

• 1760 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

No magic numbers in the game thread titles. It's like bragging you're screwing Heidi. It lacks class and will come back to bite you. Ask Tek.

#864 rundugrun

• 412 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Brianish @ Sep 21 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, did this game teach you nothing?

Good point. I'm just pissed off right now, but I'm watching YES and I think the Yankees are going to lose. They're doing nothing against Saunders... In our game, Wakefield obviously didn't have his stuff pretty early on...

#865 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (rundugrun @ Sep 21 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point. I'm just pissed off right now, but I'm watching YES and I think the Yankees are going to lose. They're doing nothing against Saunders... In our game, Wakefield obviously didn't have his stuff pretty early on...

They're the Yankees. We were playing the Royals.

#866 NomarRS05

• 3297 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (reggiecleveland @ Sep 21 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad so many of us were pussies when we thought it was dumb to leave Wake in there to give up 3 extra runs. That bullshit "get him the win" decision reflects the attitude that lead to this loss.

I see no reason he had to pitch good releivers in some of the previous blow outs.

Define good relievers though. They used Bard, and he sucked. Then they used Wagner, and he sucked. Saito has been good but certainly not a clear-cut choice over the other two and Ramon Ramirez is a horror show.

I really hope Okajima has turned it around or else.

#867 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16971 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Ed Hillel @ Sep 21 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Filed under: Trying too hard

#868 Wakefield's Heart

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Oh for God's sakes, will you guys grow a few hundred pairs?

#869 God's Cop

• Your friendly neighborhood CuntyBollocks

• 690 posts

Bay caught the flu, the bullpen caught the suck

#870 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20060 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

At this point I would rather see Bowden make the post season roster over MDC.

#871 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Whatever. I'll still take our pen over at least 5 of the other postseason contenders. And I'll take our current rotation over any of them.

#872 bosox188

• 1091 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Brianish @ Sep 21 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever. I'll still take our pen over at least 5 of the other postseason contenders. And I'll take our current rotation over any of them.

And while we're at it, I will take our manager.

#873 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (bosox188 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And while we're at it, I will take our manager.

AND OUR MASCOT.

WALLY IS AWESOME; WHAT THE FUCK IS THE PHILLIES MASCOT ANYWAY AM I RITE

#874 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20626 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Define good relievers though. They used Bard, and he sucked. Then they used Wagner, and he sucked. Saito has been good but certainly not a clear-cut choice over the other two and Ramon Ramirez is a horror show.

I really hope Okajima has turned it around or else.

Are you kidding? Papelbon, Wagner, Bard, Saito, Okajima is the best bullpen you're going to see in the playoffs. MDC and Ramon Ramirez should both be taken out back and shot, but that group of five is better than anything any of the other contenders can put out there.

This would be like Yankees fans complaining that their offense sucks because Gardner and Cabrera aren't crushing the ball.

#875 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

I actually don't get all the Ram Ram hate. Besides occasional control issues and a few bad stretches he's been great for us.

#876 StuckOnYouk

• 2011 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

Right now the Sox remain 4GB in the loss column. Let's just say for arguments sake the Sox sweep NY and after the series they are 1GB in the loss column. I know it's a big longshot, just sayin....

What do the Sox do in that situation? Rest players?

#877 NomarRS05

• 3297 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Snodgrass'Muff @ Sep 21 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you kidding? Papelbon, Wagner, Bard, Saito, Okajima is the best bullpen you're going to see in the playoffs. MDC and Ramon Ramirez should both be taken out back and shot, but that group of five is better than anything any of the other contenders can put out there.

This would be like Yankees fans complaining that their offense sucks because Gardner and Cabrera aren't crushing the ball.

OK, that's bullshit. It may be the deepest bullpen in the playoffs, but I would absolutely take the 1-2 punch of Phil Hughes/Mariano Rivera over whatever we're going to throw out there. If you wanna go deeper than that, Phil Coke has allowed one baserunner in the month of September and has looked great in a situational role. Shit, even Brian Bruney has been every bit as good or better than Bard.

You seriously liken this to Yankees fans complaining about the production of Gardner and Cabrera? Check Bard's stats. You're being ridiculous here.

#878 RIrooter09

• 1629 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Snodgrass'Muff @ Sep 21 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to point this out as overreaction. Saying our bullpen is a worry going into the playoffs or that we have no reliable setup guys is simply reactionary game thread garbage. We have one of the best bullpens in baseball. Tonight was just a bad night which happens to every bullpen every once in a while. Jesus Christ man the fuck up.

#879 NomarRS05

• 3297 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (RIrooter09 @ Sep 22 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to point this out as overreaction. Saying our bullpen is a worry going into the playoffs or that we have no reliable setup guys is simply reactionary game thread garbage. We have one of the best bullpens in baseball. Tonight was just a bad night which happens to every bullpen every once in a while. Jesus Christ man the fuck up.

OK. It's the seventh inning and it's tied. We need two relievers to bridge the gap to Papelbon. Who do you go with? Are you saying you're not at all nervous about that situation?

Our bullpen may be fine compared to the rest of baseball. To say it's not even a worry going into the playoffs is reactionary gamethread bullshit.

#880 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6951 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, that's bullshit. It may be the deepest bullpen in the playoffs, but I would absolutely take the 1-2 punch of Phil Hughes/Mariano Rivera over whatever we're going to throw out there. If you wanna go deeper than that, Phil Coke has allowed one baserunner in the month of September and has looked great in a situational role. Shit, even Brian Bruney has been every bit as good or better than Bard.

You seriously liken this to Yankees fans complaining about the production of Gardner and Cabrera? Check Bard's stats. You're being ridiculous here.

We won with far less in 2007. Papelbon and Okajima were about it, and they used MDC and Timlin when necessary. Gagne in blowouts or last resort.

Even with our warts, this is easily the best pen of the postseason contenders.

The Angels setup men are Jepsen and Oliver, for example. And a shaky Fuentes closing.

The Yanks have nothing after Mo and Hughes (who is unproven in October.)

I think Bobby Seay is Detroit's best setup guy.

Don't even start on the NL.

Edited by bosockboy, 21 September 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#881 RIrooter09

• 1629 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK. It's the seventh inning and it's tied. We need two relievers to bridge the gap to Papelbon. Who do you go with? Are you saying you're not at all nervous about that situation?

Our bullpen may be fine compared to the rest of baseball. To say it's not even a worry going into the playoffs is reactionary gamethread bullshit.

In case you haven't noticed, Okajima is having a pretty damn good season once again. People automatically give up on a reliever after he has a few bad appearances, but Oki has been solid overall and would be fine to throw in the 8th inning. As for the 7th, any combination of Wagner, Bard, or Saito would do the job just fine. The conditions were terrible tonight and Francona hasn't exactly used his relievers in the best spots the past few games which left us shorthanded. The bullpen has been consistently good all year and a bad game here or there shouldn't make us think otherwise although it apparently has shaken you up pretty badly.

#882 Harry Agganis

• 3267 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:20 PM

Well it's official. Gammons just said he doesn't think MDC makes the roster

#883 NomarRS05

• 3297 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (RIrooter09 @ Sep 22 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In case you haven't noticed, Okajima is having a pretty damn good season once again. People automatically give up on a reliever after he has a few bad appearances, but Oki has been solid overall and would be fine to throw in the 8th inning. As for the 7th, any combination of Wagner, Bard, or Saito would do the job just fine. The conditions were terrible tonight and Francona hasn't exactly used his relievers in the best spots the past few games which left us shorthanded. The bullpen has been consistently good all year and a bad game here or there shouldn't make us think otherwise although it apparently has shaken you up pretty badly.

Well, I agree that Okajima has to be the 8th inning guy. I don't necessarily think he's the lockdown reliever you think he is. He's had two strong outings in a row (and three in his last four) but has generally looked pretty woeful since August 25th. I guess it comes down to how reliable you think Okajima is and whether he's turned it around. But his struggles have spanned more than just "a game here or there." Maybe he has turned the corner. Who knows.

#884 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6951 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I agree that Okajima has to be the 8th inning guy. I don't necessarily think he's the lockdown reliever you think he is. He's had two strong outings in a row (and three in his last four) but has generally looked pretty woeful since August 25th. I guess it comes down to how reliable you think Okajima is and whether he's turned it around. But his struggles have spanned more than just "a game here or there." Maybe he has turned the corner. Who knows.

FWIW....he struggled almost exactly like this in September 2007 and then was just electric in October. I'm not worried about Oki. We need 2 of Bard/Saito/Ramirez to perform well in October and we are in good shape.

Remember, with all the off days these guys will have their best shit nearly every night. And Game 2 of the 2007 WS.....Schilling went 5.1 innings and Tito went to Oki and Paps for 11 outs. Playoff Tito is a different animal. I'm just not too worried about the pen. For every one of tonight's debacles, we overlook the 6-7 scoreless inning wonders (the 1-0 15 inning loss at NYY for example.)

#885 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20626 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (NomarRS05 @ Sep 22 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bullshit? A great 1-2 punch is nice, but you're reaching if you want to argue that Coke or Bruney give the Yanks and advantage over our pen. For all the success they've had in the last month or so, they both have pretty piss poor ERA's, Bruney has a 105 ERA+ and he's walking 5.8 per 9. Coke's ERA+ is only 92. Both have been hot lately but there's no way I rate them ahead of the Sox top 5 bullpen arms.

Besides, with their rotation, you're likely gonna see a lot of their pen in the post season outside of Sabathia starts. And that's assuming there's nothing to his post season struggles in the past aside from SSS. Our rotation is far less likely to need bail outs from a much deeper pen.

#886 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:31 AM

Wow, what's sadder than that game is this gamethread. Anyone who actually thinks this game is a big deal is off their rocker. It's September 22 and we have a 7 game lead in the wild card. So we blew one to the Royals...big fucking deal. This isn't going to send them into a tailspin, this isn't going to ruin their season. What if they win off Grienke tomorrow? The GT will be up in cahoots over how fucking awesome this team is. Well guess what - it's still fucking awesome after what happened tonight and no matter what happens tomorrow.

But more importantly, anyone who thinks this bullpen isn't very good is misinformed. Paps is one of the best closers in the league, and you have 4 guys who could pitch the 8th inning (Saito, Oki, Wags, Bard). Can you name any other team in the PS that can say the same thing? Bard and Wagner are going to be fine. When Bard gets the slider over and mixes his pitches (and he does it most of the time), he's usually lights out. How anyone can say this is a mediocre bullpen or it isn't one of our strengths?...Take a look around the league.

Edited by SoxFan234, 22 September 2009 - 05:31 AM.

#887 BellhornsBiatch

• 464 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

Umm.. I just woke up. Fell asleep when it was 6-1 last night...who is responsible for this??

#888 sallyoRI

• 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

This was the same team that blew the lead against Baltimore. I believe that was a rainy night also, where guys just had mentally turned it off and couldn't restart the engine. I know I was just hoping to get through 5 and let them bring out the tarp...it just never came. Professionals should know better.

#889 BellhornsBiatch

• 464 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

ok nm.. delcarmen etc. etc. agree with sallyo. they just turn it off when it rains.

is that lil wayne in amy k nelsons avatar?

#890 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10720 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Brianish @ Sep 21 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're the Yankees. We were playing the Royals.

If you look at the first few pages of this thread, a couple of us pointed out that the Royals had won 10 of their last 13, winning series against Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland. They have a history of getting hot at the end of the season. There is no surprise in their being able to get hits off our B team.

#891 Brianish

• 4327 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (InsideTheParker @ Sep 22 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you look at the first few pages of this thread, a couple of us pointed out that the Royals had won 10 of their last 13, winning series against Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland. They have a history of getting hot at the end of the season. There is no surprise in their being able to get hits off our B team.

If you read the first few pages of this thread, I was one of those people. My point had nothing to do with that. It's as simple as you can't count on anything in this game.