Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/18 Visit to Baltimore Pt. 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
498 replies to this topic

#451 sabrhagen99

• 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Bay fouled a ball off his instep on the pitch before his home run, looked uncomfortable
on his home run trot. But NESN reporting he left the game because of flu-like symptoms.

#452 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

Buchholz is one funky looking dude.

With the giant eyes and scraggly hair he looks like Gollum in the post game.

#453 Andrew

• 9,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (reggiecleveland @ Sep 18 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope Bay is okay

Yeah, but what about Drew? He got replaced by Reddick.

#454 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

If the Rangers lose tonight, will it be safe to just stop following their games? They're down 2-0 in the seventh.

#455 foulkehampshire

• hillbilly suburbanite

• 3,542 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (ELMER FLICK @ Sep 18 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Late to the party, but, CF, MLB, sorted by OPS:

9 Jacoby Ellsbury BOS 566 81 171 25 9 7 52 62 10 41 64 .302 .352 .415 .767
11Grady Sizemore CLE 436 73 108 20 6 18 64 13 8 60 92 .248 .343 .445 .788

Not very similar, but in terms of overall contribution this year, JE isn't far behind. Edit: Taking into account Steals and PA, he is well ahead. In the AL, only Tori Hunter has a higher OPS for center fielders. Sometimes I wonder if we get so fixated on flaws that we lose track of what our own players do well.

Grady Sizemore hasn't been healthy this year. From 2005-2008 he had an .868 OPS.

#456 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Dionysus @ Sep 18 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That happened in somethign we call 'the past.' Things, like Jason Varitek's ability to play baseball, often change from 'the past' to 'the present.' In 'the present' Jason Varitek sucks at baseball and costs us games. You know who else has a Ring? David Eckstein. He sucks too

There's lots of room for debate on how much of that is attributable to 'Tek versus luck and, y'know, the guys actually PITCHING. Hint: It's almost entirely the Pitching. Plus, Jason's old and can't play baseball.

And this is just plain insulting. You are actually using such a bullshit statement on SOSH? That people aren't "true fans" because they disagree with you? Way to go. You'll never escape the Sandbox that way.

Your head is up your ass saying I'm in insulting anyone.
Let's put it simple for you. Next year, or the next Wake is is going to be in the rotation and suck, just like Tek is now. You going to throw him in the heap to? And forget all he's done for the team? NO, you find a way to slide him out gracefully, with respect. I was not saying Tek didn't suck now, I was just coming up with a way to get him off the roster next year while giving him his due.

#457 sabrhagen99

• 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Andrew @ Sep 18 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but what about Drew? He got replaced by Reddick.

No, Reddick replaced Bay in left, Drew played the whole game.

#458 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,574 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

ESPN Headline after tonights game:

Red Sox win eighth straight, take command of AL wild card race

Whoops.

#459 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Dionysus @ Sep 18 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That happened in somethign we call 'the past.' Things, like Jason Varitek's ability to play baseball, often change from 'the past' to 'the present.' In 'the present' Jason Varitek sucks at baseball and costs us games. You know who else has a Ring? David Eckstein. He sucks too

There's lots of room for debate on how much of that is attributable to 'Tek versus luck and, y'know, the guys actually PITCHING. Hint: It's almost entirely the Pitching. Plus, Jason's old and can't play baseball.

And this is just plain insulting. You are actually using such a bullshit statement on SOSH? That people aren't "true fans" because they disagree with you? Way to go. You'll never escape the Sandbox that way.

Also, did you just start to cheering for the Sox? In like what, 2007? You sound like a fucking yankee, aw he sucks, can him and bring in a 180 mil guy to fix it. We have history and love our past greats and look forward to our future greats. But we NO NOT throw our aged greats under the bus. Gotta a problem, come up with a solution don't just bitch because you can.

#460 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Jepsen gets out of a bases loaded jam. Still 2-0 Angels going to the 9th.

#461 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2,018 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (foulkehampshire @ Sep 18 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't complain too much about this win.

yeah, this game was kind of nondescript. I was paying about 75% attention, and then it was like "shit, it's the ninth already?....oh wow, we just won."

#462 BlackhawkTC

• 32 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 18 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, did you just start to cheering for the Sox? In like what, 2007? You sound like a fucking yankee, aw he sucks, can him and bring in a 180 mil guy to fix it. We have history and love our past greats and look forward to our future greats. But we NO NOT throw our aged greats under the bus. Gotta a problem, come up with a solution don't just bitch because you can.

"history" being the operative term since that describes when Jason Varitek was actually capable of playing baseball

#463 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

Do you not realize that Varitek is a shell of what he once was? No one is disputing that he was an integral part of the 2004 and 2007 teams , but that doesn't change the fact that in 2009 he is useless. It's sad to watch him now. He can't hit, and now he can't catch either. What good is he doing right now?

I'm all for reliving the 2004 and 2007 WS, but give me a break, Tek has degraded into a terrible player.

#464 sabrhagen99

• 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Please, please, no late season collapse by the Tigers so the Twins can just roll over and die for the MFYs (again) in the ALDS.

#465 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Jesus, Fuentes in again. He threw a shit ton of pitches the last two nights. Scioscia rides closers like Secretariat.

#466 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (SoxFan234 @ Sep 18 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you not realize that Varitek is a shell of what he once was? No one is disputing that he was an integral part of the 2004 and 2007 teams , but that doesn't change the fact that in 2009 he is useless. It's sad to watch him now. He can't hit, and now he can't catch either. What good is he doing right now?

I'm all for reliving the 2004 and 2007 WS, but give me a break, Tek has degraded into a terrible player.

I totally agree. We need to be using VMat and Brown from here on out for the most part. But we do need to realize that Tek WILL be here next year and something needs to be done for 2010. All you peaple talking Molina, come on get real. We don't need another old guy that can't thow on this team next year. Vmart is bad enough for thowing. I say bring up Wagner and combine him with Victor.

Edited by Fast_Rider, 18 September 2009 - 09:59 PM.

#467 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:03 PM

Fuck you Fuentes...walking Chris Davis, who's hitting .216, with 2 outs and a 2 run lead.

#468 normstalls

• 2,006 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

i find myself rooting against the angels. i just dont like em...

whiny biatches

#469 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,574 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

nevermind.

Edited by mikeford, 18 September 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#470 normstalls

• 2,006 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

pretty sure fuentes DID pitch last night...

#471 Andrew

• 9,779 posts

QUOTE (normstalls @ Sep 18 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i find myself rooting against the angels. i just dont like em...

whiny biatches

Same here.

#472 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

7 GB

#473 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Rangers lose. 7 up, 16 to go.

#474 sabrhagen99

• 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

Rangers have scored a total of 1 run in their last 5 games- at home. Wow.

#475 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 18 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your head is up your ass saying I'm in insulting anyone.
Let's put it simple for you. Next year, or the next Wake is is going to be in the rotation and suck, just like Tek is now. You going to throw him in the heap to? And forget all he's done for the team? NO, you find a way to slide him out gracefully, with respect. I was not saying Tek didn't suck now, I was just coming up with a way to get him off the roster next year while giving him his due.

If he sucks next year to the degree Tek does now? If he appears as finished as a ballplayer as Tek does now? I keep him off the Postseason roster and finally decline that option in the Winter. Wake isn't there yet, he still has Value.

I love Tek. I will always love what he did for us. However, its time to move on. Frankly, he should really retire but if he is too blind to (hint: he's an athlete, he's blind), then we need to move on ourselves. That's how you compete with the Yankees, by being smarter and more rational in your decision-making. Should Tek go into the Sox HOF? Absolutely. But he shouldn't be playing anymore. Just because we're smart enough to understand that, and to want to fix it to make our team as good as possible, doesn't mean we're throwing anyone under the bus - except shitty posters like you.

What is WRONG with you?

EDIT: And when did I advocate signing a "180 mil" guy to catch? All I'm saying is Tek is no longer a viable option. A strong defensive farmhand would back up Victor better.

Edited by Dionysus, 18 September 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#476 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (sabrhagen99 @ Sep 18 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just going to post...just incredible. 4 shutouts and 1 run in 5 games. In a hitter's haven. They are d-o-n-e.

#477 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Some things need to happen but there's a chance both the Yankees and Red Sox will clinch the division and wild card during their series next weekend.

#478 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

14-2 against the O's, and we blew one with a 10-1 lead. Crazy shit. The O's games give us almost 1/6 of the games we need to get to October.

#479 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 18 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some things need to happen but there's a chance both the Yankees and Red Sox will clinch the division and wild card during their series next weekend.

That'd be really rather nice. Give us the chance to catch our breath and align the rotation.

#480 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Dionysus @ Sep 18 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he sucks next year to the degree Tek does now? If he appears as finished as a ballplayer as Tek does now? I keep him off the Postseason roster and finally decline that option in the Winter. Wake isn't there yet, he still has Value.

I love Tek. I will always love what he did for us. However, its time to move on. Frankly, he should really retire but if he is too blind to (hint: he's an athlete, he's blind), then we need to move on ourselves. That's how you compete with the Yankees, by being smarter and more rational in your decision-making. Should Tek go into the Sox HOF? Absolutely. But he shouldn't be playing anymore. Just because we're smart enough to understand that, and to want to fix it to make our team as good as possible, doesn't mean we're throwing anyone under the bus - except shitty posters like you.

What is WRONG with you?

EDIT: And when did I advocate signing a "180 mil" guy to catch? All I'm saying is Tek is no longer a viable option. A strong defensive farmhand would back up Victor better.

Did you actually spend the time to read my posts? Tek needs to sit, granted, but he will be here next year. We need to address that.
Do they actually let you post on the main board? What a waste.

#481 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 18 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you actually spend the time to read my posts? Tek needs to sit, granted, but he will be here next year. We need to address that.
Do they actually let you post on the main board? What a waste.

Fair enough. The whole "true Red Sox fan" and "Yankee fan" shit got my ire up. You made it sound like we should let him be here next year out of some sort of respect for his past, not as a simple reality of the contract. I don't agree with sentimental attachments, not when it comes to personnel decisions. Ideally, we'd decline the option and if Tek picked up his end, cut him in Spring training, swallow the cash and give the rost spot to Dusty Brown or Wagner.

#482 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

Greinke might miss his start against Beckett.

#483 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (bosockboy @ Sep 18 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greinke might miss his start against Beckett.

That saddens me. At this point the individual win isn't as pressing and I'd really like the opportunity to watch Greinke pitch.

#484 Fast_Rider

• 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

As I said earlier, pay him the 5 mil (it's not like we can"t afford it) and put him in a position that is not on the roster. We CAN use his skills and knowledge. Then work around that. If you don't like my origanal idea then come up with something better.

#485 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Dionysus @ Sep 18 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That saddens me. At this point the individual win isn't as pressing and I'd really like the opportunity to watch Greinke pitch.

Ditto; I'm at that game. Greinke would be a nice tuneup for playoff level pitching. With Texas in utter freefall, seeing one ace doesn't bother me anymore.

#486 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Fast_Rider @ Sep 18 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I said earlier, pay him the 5 mil (it's not like we can"t afford it) and put him in a position that is not on the roster. We CAN use his skills and knowledge. Then work around that. If you don't like my origanal idea then come up with something better.

I can debate that with you, peacefully. I'm just asking you not to use asinine arguments like being a 'true fan', etc - it has no place here. I'm not sure how viable the making him a coach idea is. I don't think he'd agree to it for one thing, and I'm not even sure baseball contracts work like that. I'm pretty sure the language in the contract would be such that it only be involved in an actual roster position. If your saying that we should pick up the option, then cut him, THEN offer him a coaching spot, I think that's unrealistic. I doubt Tek would accept a coaching spot, as I said before - like most athletes, he probably beleives he can still get a roster spot somewhere. Frankly, he probably CAN. He'd be doable on a noncontending team with a lot of young pitchers.

The best option I see is to decline the option and if he picks up his, cut him. Eat the money and let him find his future elsewhere. Cold? Yes, but I try to not use emotion in my (theoretical) decision making.

#487 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,574 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

So Texas is basically DOA at this point, it doesnt matter if we have a better record than the Angels at year end right? If they win the division and we win WC, they get home field, yes?

#488 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (mikeford @ Sep 18 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Texas is basically DOA at this point, it doesnt matter if we have a better record than the Angels at year end right? If they win the division and we win WC, they get home field, yes?

Correct. The only way we get home field before the WS is if we overcome the Yankees to win the division.

#489 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2,018 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (bosockboy @ Sep 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rangers lose. 7 up, 16 to go.

So the Sox would have to collapse even worse the Mets in order to blow it.

#490 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (Dionysus @ Sep 18 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair enough. The whole "true Red Sox fan" and "Yankee fan" shit got my ire up. You made it sound like we should let him be here next year out of some sort of respect for his past, not as a simple reality of the contract. I don't agree with sentimental attachments, not when it comes to personnel decisions. Ideally, we'd decline the option and if Tek picked up his end, cut him in Spring training, swallow the cash and give the rost spot to Dusty Brown or Wagner.

I dunno. I'm not sure Tek wouldn't be serviceable with the backup load. He was ok the first half of this year. I'd give him the shot at least, and if he sucks, he can "retire"(or be released) and they can bring up Brown/Wagner/whatever. No hurry. And the level of backup catching is really, really, really bad.

#491 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Sep 18 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno. I'm not sure Tek wouldn't be serviceable with the backup load. He was ok the first half of this year. I'd give him the shot at least, and if he sucks, he can "retire"(or be released) and they can bring up Brown/Wagner/whatever. No hurry. And the level of backup catching is really, really, really bad.

My concern with this is Tito. I'm not sure Tito has what it takes to TRULY use Tek as a backup catcher outside of the postseason. Hell, I'm not convinced he'll do it DURING the postseason. The only way to ensure Tek doesn't get more ABs that he should is to not have him on the roster.

#492 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Bellhorn @ Sep 18 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the Sox would have to collapse even worse the Mets in order to blow it.

Far worse. The Sox are playing great and have won 8 out of 9, and the Rangers have scored one run in 5 home games. And the Sox have a far easier schedule the rest of the way. If this turned an about face now, it would be the most unlikely event possibly ever.

#493 martybarrettoverdrive

• 434 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

Magic number for the playoffs: 10

Win it for Delta Burke and the California Bulls

#494 Pandemonium67

• 3,243 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

If this turned an about face now, it would be the most unlikely event possibly ever.

Or at least since mid-October 2004.

edit: On a mildly tangential note, I was just stunned, shocked and flabbergasted to see the punchless M's rally with bases empty and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th to beat Fruitbat, with a pinch-hit double by the corpse of Mike Sweeney and an Ichiro walkoff on the next pitch. I hate the M's and Ichiro both, but my feelings are just a bit softer now.

Edited by Pandemonium67, 19 September 2009 - 12:55 AM.

#495 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1,470 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (sabrhagen99 @ Sep 19 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Rangers were finished when they lost Young and Hamilton.

QUOTE (sabrhagen99 @ Sep 19 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please, please, no late season collapse by the Tigers so the Twins can just roll over and die for the MFYs (again) in the ALDS.

Red Sox only 5 games behind the MFY in the loss column. With 6 games against the Orioles and Royals while the MFY are on the WC against the Mariners and Angels before a 3 game series against us, maybe the Twins will be able to roll over for the Red Sox.

Holy crap, just saw V-marts WP. Just like Teks WP last night. If that was Tek, under the same circumstances this thread would be 20 pages longer.

#496 EllisTheRimMan

• 1,930 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (paulftodd @ Sep 19 2009, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy crap, just saw V-marts WP. Just like Teks WP last night. If that was Tek, under the same circumstances this thread would be 20 pages longer.

Wow! You're such a dick.

I'm glad I turned down my SOSH "membership invitation". Like Groucho Marx once said, "I'd never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member."

Anyway, great win, the WC is in the bag and Buck looks like a really, really good pitcher despite always facing inferior competition. c070.gif

#497 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (paulftodd @ Sep 19 2009, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there were a few major differences.

1)Moved runner over vs allowed tying run to score
1a)Clay got out of it

2)Not the seventh inning yet
2a)VMart didn't have the same problem yesterday either

3)Despite both being flying things with feathery wings, Angels >>>>> Orioles

#498 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1,470 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Sep 19 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there were a few major differences.

1)Moved runner over vs allowed tying run to score
1a)Clay got out of it

2)Not the seventh inning yet
2a)VMart didn't have the same problem yesterday either

3)Despite both being flying things with feathery wings, Angels >>>>> Orioles

Yet Tek got blamed for 4 UER, none of which scored on the PB, for what was essentially a WP against the Angels the night before. Tek was just unfortunate to have a struggling pitcher against a good team and not the Orioles. Credit for getting out of the jam belongs to Buchholz, not V-Mart. Not that I blame V-Mart or Tek, throwing the wrong pitch to the wrong location, or bouncing balls in the dirt are all on the pitcher. If a catcher blocks it, it's a good play, if he does not, it happens to the best of them.

QUOTE (EllisTheRimMan @ Sep 19 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! You're such a dick.

I'm glad I turned down my SOSH "membership invitation". Like Groucho Marx once said, "I'd never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member."

Anyway, great win, the WC is in the bag and Buck looks like a really, really good pitcher despite always facing inferior competition. c070.gif

Reality bites, doesn't it. No great loss with your turn down, but it is worrisome you were invited. I do look forward to Buck pitching against a team that does not suck though. I am a fan of his, but just like to temper the fan boy enthusiasm. It takes more than beating the Orioles and Blue Jays and the free fall Rays to get dicks like me hard. Youngsters like you just need a stiff breeze I guess.

#499 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,423 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (paulftodd @ Sep 19 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reality bites, doesn't it. No great loss with your turn down, but it is worrisome you were invited. I do look forward to Buck pitching against a team that does not suck though. I am a fan of his, but just like to temper the fan boy enthusiasm. It takes more than beating the Orioles and Blue Jays and the free fall Rays to get dicks like me hard. Youngsters like you just need a stiff breeze I guess.

Keep this kind of lurker-baiting out of the game thread. If you want to be a jerk, then say your piece and accept the reactions with a better grace.