Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Week 2 - Pats at Jets: He's baaaaacccccckkkkk!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1948 replies to this topic

#1901 TheMoralBully

• 72 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Couperin47 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying it wasn't/isn't the best option he thought available, but I am sorta mystified by the QB situation if it plays out that they can't adequately protect Brady ...

It's not just a matter of protecting Brady, though. They gave the Jets absolutely no reason to stop blitzing, besides some lame WR screens, some delayed hand-offs in the gun and a few draws to.... Sammy Morris? Also, Brady was missing on some quick outs to Edelman he usually nails, and Galloway must have suffered temporary dyslexia while reading the playbook or something because he was getting open but it was pretty clear he was never where he was supposed to be. You need to give the Jets some fear of getting burned by their blitzing, and Brady and the Pats failed to do so.

#1902 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 15 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Skrub.

Skrub.

Skrub.

Not only with the Patriots not score 40 points, they won't score 30. And I am willing to place a wager on this with you. Someone is going to be getting as free dinner at a nice resturant.

*In case anyone doesn't know, I'm a Jets fan.

What the Jets did on Sunday was fucking brilliant. Sure, I am in the same boat that think the Texans got a little too much hype this year and Matt Schaub is unproven but they were swarming and nasty. Plus, they get Shaun Ellis back for this game. So, on paper the defense got even better.

They are going to come at Brady and just keep coming. The Pats OL looked pretty lousy last night and if they play to that same level on Sunday, Brady is going to spend more time on the Meadowland turf than Dennis Byrd.

So there you go Skrub. The gauntlet had been thrown my friend.

Dinner and drinks at a resturant of the winner's choice.

Pats are going to be in for a world of hurt on Sunday and I am not so sure a lot of Patriot fans are going to see it coming.

Yup.

#1903 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

Randy Moss interviews are awesome. He did admit at the end, in a roundabout way, that Brady hasn't been on point.

#1904 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,091 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 20 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup.

I'll give you credit, Berry. You nailed it.

In all seriousness: where do you see the Jets going from here? Do you think they can contend for the Super Bowl?

#1905 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,767 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Carmine Hose @ Sep 20 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have the Pats run a RB screen this year? Isn't that the ultimate counter-blitz play?

I really, really would like to hear something about this. The way the Jets were attacking, it looked like a simple screen could have gone for huge gains today.

#1906 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,995 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Bellhorn @ Sep 20 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"What happened with the delay of game penalties?"

"We didn't get the play off in time."

Classic.

you know, that's a lot more fun when they win. and, to be honest, I'd like to know wtf happened on those. 2 STRAIGHT?

QUOTE (Bellhorn @ Sep 20 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to be in the minority, but I actually think they acquitted themselves reasonably well today. Guys will get into the backfield sometimes if they blitz, that's kind of inevitable.

i agree. after the first quarter the line was valiant. if you have constant blitzes you'll get pressure, but they did a good job. Brady was brutal, wide receivers questionable, and play calling weird. I thought Fred Taylor looked real good, not sure why he didn't get more action.

#1907 JokersWildJIMED

• Blinded by Borges

• 399 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Jed Zeppelin @ Sep 20 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really, really would like to hear something about this. The way the Jets were attacking, it looked like a simple screen could have gone for huge gains today.

It might help if they had an OC. Never thought I would miss McDaniels.

#1908 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

QUOTE (Mystic Merlin @ Sep 20 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all seriousness: where do you see the Jets going from here? Do you think they can contend for the Super Bowl?

I wouldn't call that a "world of hurt".

The teams look pretty even at the moment. Can anyone see either of them contending for a Super Bowl?

#1909 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

QUOTE (Mystic Merlin @ Sep 20 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Super Bowl? Shiiiiiiiiit. I sure hope so but I don't know.

That Steelers team is really fucking good and I want to see Sanchez face a real defense. He's a rookie QB and he is going to have good days but also some really bad days.

I have been saying all offseason that it's not about 2009, it's about 2010. That's the year this team contends. Anything we get from this year is a bonus.

Edited by SeanBerry, 20 September 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#1910 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,091 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Sep 20 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't call that a "world of hurt".

The teams look pretty even at the moment. Can anyone see either of them contending for a Super Bowl?

I don't know - kind of early, isn't it? I mean, who besides Pittsburgh has acquitted themselves that well so far?

#1911 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 17 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh.

It's the second week of the season and it's kind of a stupid practice anyway.

I do think the following:

-The Pats won't score 30+ points and I made a bet with Skrub who disagrees.

-The Pats defense is not very good and the Jets offense is just OK. I am interested in seeing how the Pats deal with the Jets running game which is pretty damn good after facing the Bills running game which is pretty fucking horrible.

-The Patriots are going to have a very difficult time protecting Brady.

If someone put a gun to my head:

Jets 27
Pats 21

When I said "world of hurt", I meant a loss.

#1912 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,606 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

AP: ... the first win for the Jets (2-0) over the Patriots (1-1) at home in nine games.

Streaks such as this, particularly against division rivals, are bound to end

#1913 bosox188

• 1,159 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Dear Josh McDaniels,

We're sorry. You don't suck.

Sincerely,

Patriots fans.

#1914 Bongorific

• 4,849 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Ed Hillel @ Sep 20 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to go ahead again and say that Revis is the best CB in the NFL.

He doesn't even sniff Asomugha's game-worn jock.

#1915 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 44,858 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Bongorific @ Sep 20 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He doesn't even sniff Asomugha's game-worn jock.

Yes. Yes, he does.

He has blanketed 2 of the 5 best WR in the NFL in the first couple of weeks. He was already a top 3 in the NFL last season, and this year he's going to take over the title.

#1916 Pepper03

• 194 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

I hate the Jets but come on-maybe they just were the better team out there today?

It's OK to give another team credit-they backed up their words and smacked the Pats down.

Long season-as we all know from bitter experience Super Bowls aren't won or lost in September.

I wasn't as optimistic about this years Patriot's team coming into this season as were others-so I am not surprised to see them go down there and lose.

I am just glad that at least it's only the 2nd week of the season.

#1917 Bongorific

• 4,849 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 20 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I said "world of hurt", I meant a loss.

Who the fuck quotes himself twice in one thread?

#1918 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,091 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Pepper03 @ Sep 20 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate the Jets but come on-maybe they just were the better team out there today?

It's OK to give another team credit-they backed up their words and smacked the Pats down.

Long season-as we all know from bitter experience Super Bowls aren't won or lost in September.

I wasn't as optimistic about this years Patriot's team coming into this season as were others-so I am not surprised to see them go down there and lose.

I am just glad that at least it's only the 2nd week of the season.

I agree with this. To me, they're a team that's going to be pretty prolific once they iron out the kinks. That might not be next week or even the week after, but they have a ton of talent and new blood.

#1919 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6,162 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

#1920 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Bongorific @ Sep 20 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who the fuck quotes himself twice in one thread?

The guy that was right.

#1921 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 20 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guy that was right.

I think we should make a thread called "GOAT: SeanBerry posts". I'm pretty sure that one would make it. What others might?

#1922 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Jnai @ Sep 20 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we should make a thread called "GOAT: SeanBerry posts". I'm pretty sure that one would make it. What others might?

You could do GOAT: SoSH posts and quite a few SeanBerry ones would make it.

#1923 PayrodsFirstClutchHit

• 3,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

As bad as I feel, I can only imagine having to go to work tomorrow and be around obnoxious Jets fans.

I suggest those that may encounter one should consider calling in with H1N1.

#1924 hikeeba

• 545 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

Now all the Jets fans are going to be sitting by their phones like Uncle Frank in "One Crazy Summer" - a football version of Fight Club/Project Mayhem waiting for their next assignment.

#1925 Sille Skrub

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

Tough loss today. Good thing it wasn't really Super Bowl Sunday.

All credit goes to the Jets defense. They were flat out awesome. I knew that RR would fix that defense, but I didn't think they would look that good, that fast. Kudos to them. Even though they were very annoying with all that talk, they certainly walked the walk.

Dirty Sanchez impressed me. He made some great throws in tight spots.

I think not having Welker hurt. He usually is the safety valve underneath. I'm not saying he would have made the difference, but he certainly would have helped.

I thought the Pats defense was fine. Stepped up when they had to. They are a work in progress and will be all season. I thought they would be the biggest question mark today, not the inability of the Pats offense to handle the NYJ blitzes.

The posts about McDaniels are funny. He doesn't seem so bad at this point, eh?

And apologies to the other AFC East teams, the demise of Tom Brady is being greatly exaggerated. It's funny how you can go from AFC Offensive Player of the week to an "average" QB in 6 days. Only on the interweb, I guess.

Long way to go. I still think the Pats will win the division, will play deep into January and contend for the Super Bowl.

Is it Sunday 1pm yet?

#1926 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,349 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

Not gonna give Berry his due?

#1927 Sille Skrub

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Already did, earlier up the thread.

Nice try.

#1928 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Sure, Brady had a bad game and we were missing Welker, Mayo, etc. All of these issues will get rectified over time. However, I still have no idea where the pass rush is going to come from. It seems like the Pats were once again playing a vanilla defense, especially on that TD pass to Keller, and I really don't see how it'll get any better with the current personnel that we have.

#1929 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2,006 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (RedOctober3829 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good
--Edelmen. He came up with some big catches.
--Defense overall. They gave up 16 points and 254 total yards.

Bad
--Offensive gameplan. I didn't like that there weren't any RB screens to Faulk. At least slow down the pass rush a bit.
--Galloway comes up small when they needed him.
--Special teams were terrible. Hanson had some shanks and the coverage teams did a bad job overall. The long snaps weren't crisp either.
--Too many penalties put the Jets in good position or drives stalled. More delay of games today than I can ever remember.

To the Bad category, I would add:

--Defensive gameplan. The whole "BB is a master at confusing rookie QBs" myth needs to be laid to rest.
--Failure to challenge the spot on the 3rd-and-13 conversion late in the game, unless there was a replay that showed conclusively that it was legit. Given that the Jets probably would have punted in that field position, even on 4th and inches, the break-even probability of success was very low for it to be a worthwhile challenge. IIRC, the Jets quickly ran another play before there would have been much time to look at replays anyway. In that case, I really think you need to go with your first instinct and throw the challenge flag if it looks doubtful in real time.

#1930 jcd0805

• 450 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

I also predicted a Pats loss earlier in the thread, but I actually thought they might get blown out this first game so I'm actually quit pleased. The Jets have a number of offensive weapons and they scored 16 points, not the end of the world. If Tom would have been even remotely Tom we win this game going away, let's face it it is going to take some time for Tom to feel comfortable. If he doesn't we are in for a looong season, but right now I'm optimistic he'll get in the groove in the next few weeks. And the Jets are pretty good, just hurts to admit it.

#1931 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,325 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Skrub, you mention that the defense is a work in progress and will be all year, the running game is one of the worst in the league and the franchise QB is coming off an injury.

What makes you really think they will be there deep into January and be competing for a Super Bowl? There are so many tighter/better teams. These first two games were to the Bills and Jets, teams that are OK, maybe even good, but not serious playoff threats and the Pats were one miracle play away from losing both. In the division.

#1932 speedracer

• 411 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Drocca @ Sep 20 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Skrub, you mention that the defense is a work in progress and will be all year, the running game is one of the worst in the league and the franchise QB is coming off an injury.

FO rated the Patriots run O 4th best in the league last year.

#1933 Sille Skrub

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

The running game isn't a concern. It will be RBBC all year and while they won't be world-beaters, they will be adequate. More of a concern is the play of the offensive line and pass protection. Matt Light has been terrible.

Everyone mentions Carson Palmer when referring to Brady. People seem to forget that CP played pretty well after the injury. I know, because I watch the Bengals every week. They are probably my second favorite team after the Pats. I blame college in Ohio and obnoxious Steelers/Browns fans for this self-imposed football curse.

I really think the offense will be fine. Brady was off for a year and it will take him time to get back to looking like his old self. I thought they were dead in the water last week, but amazingly #12 pulled it out. Even with two minutes left today, I thought they had a chance. You always do if you have a quarterback of his caliber on your sideline.

I think come November, the defense will be good enough to take things deep into January. During the championship seasons, the defense always seemed to get stronger as the temperature got lower. Hopefully, this season will follow that trend.

Couple that strong offense with a defense that will be "good enough" and you have a team that can contend for a spot to play in Miami on February 7th.

#1934 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,325 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Fair enough, so more of a 01' vibe than an 07' vibe? A team that just gets better and better, well-coached, well-managed, not "sexy."

I can see that.

Edit - Accidentally wrote 04'. Must have been thinking Sox.

Edited by Drocca, 20 September 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#1935 Hoser Awfulman

• 535 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Couperin47 @ Sep 20 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BB has gambled that he could rebuild on the fly and he's losing that bet...

And we know this 2 games into the season.

Wow.

So we knew how the Red Sox season was going to turn out 20 games into the season too, I guess.

I can't believe all the reactionary nonsense here. I guess I'm too new.

#1936 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 10,456 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Hoser Awfulman @ Sep 20 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And we know this 2 games into the season.

Wow.

So we knew how the Red Sox season was going to turn out 20 games into the season too, I guess.

I can't believe all the reactionary nonsense here. I guess I'm too new.

It's not just 2 games. It's 2 divisional games. It cannot be compared to baseball because such tiebreakers rarely matter in a 162 game schedule. Losing to the Jets is more damaging than losing to the Falcons or even the Jaguars. Thank God, they pulled the Buffalo game out or else 0-2 inside the division would have put this team on the wrong side of the tiebreakers very early.

#1937 j44thor

• 4,252 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Bellhorn @ Sep 20 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To the Bad category, I would add:

--Defensive gameplan. The whole "BB is a master at confusing rookie QBs" myth needs to be laid to rest.
--Failure to challenge the spot on the 3rd-and-13 conversion late in the game, unless there was a replay that showed conclusively that it was legit. Given that the Jets probably would have punted in that field position, even on 4th and inches, the break-even probability of success was very low for it to be a worthwhile challenge. IIRC, the Jets quickly ran another play before there would have been much time to look at replays anyway. In that case, I really think you need to go with your first instinct and throw the challenge flag if it looks doubtful in real time.

Part of not challenging the 3rd and 13 play probably had a lot to do with only having one challenge left after they had to burn one on one of the worst calls in quite some time.
How the ref didn't see Stuckey's second foot come down two feet out of bounds is ridiculous.
When you are at best a 50% chance to win the challenge and the cost is your final challenge and a valuable TO, I think it was the right move not to challenge.
If they had two challenges at that point it might have made more sense to challenge.

I also think that the defensive gameplan is more of a function of the personel than anything. When you lose your primary signal caller (Mayo) it is difficult to run too complex a defense.

At the end of the day I don't think this team has enough playmakers on either side of the ball to be a dominant team.

#1938 speedracer

• 411 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (shawnrbu @ Sep 20 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not just 2 games. It's 2 divisional games. It cannot be compared to baseball because such tiebreakers rarely matter in a 162 game schedule. Losing to the Jets is more damaging than losing to the Falcons or even the Jaguars. Thank God, they pulled the Buffalo game out or else 0-2 inside the division would have put this team on the wrong side of the tiebreakers very early.

There's a difference between evaluating the team on its own merits and evaluating its chances of making the playoffs.

#1939 Hoser Awfulman

• 535 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (shawnrbu @ Sep 20 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, fine. Then lets extend the comparison a bit further.

In football, 6 of 16 teams make the playoffs, 38%. In baseball, 4 of 14 teams make the playoffs, or 29%. So...

First: Let's say the Sox played the Yankees and Blue Jays five games a piece the first 10 games of the year, and went 5-5. Would you be pounding the panic button like some of the lunatics on this site?

Second: Let's play a different game. You can take the Broncos, at 2-0 and leading their division, and I'll take the Pats at 1-1 tied for second. Winner is the person with the team that makes the playoffs. Are you happy with those odds?

Edited by Hoser Awfulman, 20 September 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#1940 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 44,858 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

The running game isn't a concern. It will be RBBC all year and while they won't be world-beaters, they will be adequate. More of a concern is the play of the offensive line and pass protection. Matt Light has been terrible.

Considering the number of people rushing every play, the OLine did a more than ample job for Brady. He was going to get hit. With Moss occupying 2 guys in the secondary, this game was all about Brady getting together with his 2nd and 3rd options. Brady and Galloway failed in that regard. This is also why the loss of Welker was so huge, because the best way for the Pats to beat this defense was with the West Coast approach. In fact, I think if Welker plays they win.

#1941 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2,006 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (j44thor @ Sep 20 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Part of not challenging the 3rd and 13 play probably had a lot to do with only having one challenge left after they had to burn one on one of the worst calls in quite some time.
How the ref didn't see Stuckey's second foot come down two feet out of bounds is ridiculous.
When you are at best a 50% chance to win the challenge and the cost is your final challenge and a valuable TO, I think it was the right move not to challenge.
If they had two challenges at that point it might have made more sense to challenge.

Christ, if there was a 50% chance, challenging would have been the mother of all no-brainers. You're rather overestimating the value of time-outs and challenges - here is a pretty good article on the subject.
I also think that the defensive gameplan is more of a function of the personel than anything. When you lose your primary signal caller (Mayo) it is difficult to run too complex a defense.

They had a week to prepare without him, and you think rushing more than three people on third and long would have been too complicated?

#1942 estreetfan

• 402 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

I really hope the Pats return the favor at the Blade.

#1943 nazz45

• 2,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Drocca @ Sep 20 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes you really think they will be there deep into January and be competing for a Super Bowl? There are so many tighter/better teams.

Are there? Steelers sit at 1-1 with a so far sluggish offense and a stud defender out indefinitely, the Titans at 0-2 with Kerry Collins at the helm and a D that just got their tits smoked by the Texans, the Chargers at 1-1 with no Jamal Williams plugging his fat in the gaps the rest of the way.

Ravens look good, maybe a little less on defense, but a much improved Flacco/offense balances some of this out. The Broncos 2-0 as well though a favorable bounce and schedule has gone their way. The Jets appear to be very legit on defense. And, of course, there's the Colts who will take the South division.

Patriots have areas of concern. But adjustments can be made. Look back to '06 and the horror-show that offense was in the early going. This is a far more talented unit than that one with the one major, major caveat being post-injury Tom Brady. So either Brady finds his way or he doesn't. Either his line keeps him upright or kills him. Either Galloway picks up the playbook (beyond running real fast in a straight line) or they don't. Either they establish a run game to take the heat of the passing game or they remain pass happy. Either the young players on defense take the next step or, well, you get the point. These ifs are many but exist in some number across the league for every team after two weeks, even for those 2-0 teams in which victories hide the deficiencies until some team exploits them down the road.

Two games in. Just two. One a divisional loss, which hurts, but you usually don't sweep and if you're going to drop one or two, they happen on the road. I think '07 really ruined our perspective on how a normal football season typically unfolds, when you don't know exactly what you have until around Week 10. That regular season was not normal. I wish the first two games were actually predictive because then there's no way the Giants make the Super Bowl, let alone win it in '07.

#1944 dynomite

• 4,772 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (nazz45 @ Sep 20 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two games in. Just two. One a divisional loss, which hurts, but you usually don't sweep and if you're going to drop one or two, they happen on the road. I think '07 really ruined our perspective on how a normal football season typically unfolds, when you don't know exactly what you have until around Week 10. That regular season was not normal. I wish the first two games were actually predictive because then there's no way the Giants make the Super Bowl, let alone win it in '07.

Right. Anyone who thinks the first 2 games of a season are predictive of the rest of the season is exaggerating or hasn't watched much football. The '08 Bills started 4-0, and ESPN.com devoted the front of their site to a story headline about them that read along the lines of "The Bills Are Back." How'd that work out?

As someone said earlier in the thread: we were on the road against a good team without our QB's favorite WR and the LB who's the heart and soul of our defense. It's really so horrible to lose that game in Week 2?

Hell, think back to 2003. After Week 4, the Pats were 2-2. They'd lost 31-0 to Buffalo, blown out the Iggles, sqeuaked by the Jets, and lost to the Redskins.

"Medicore team playing a medicore game" was the gist of Bob Ryan's column the next day. (or something to that effect) "This team is too inconsistent to win the Super Bowl." Brady in particular had looked horrible against the Redskins, throwing 3 picks. He was coming off his shoulder injury in '02, and I distinctly remember a friend who was "in the know" telling me how everyone around the league knew that Brady's shoulder would never be the same, and that he'd never be the same QB.

... Turned out those were the only two games the Pats lost that year.

The Jets played a solid game today, and the Pats blew a number of prime opportunities to win. Don't forget that Brady simply overthrew a wide open Edelman and had to settle for a FG, that he was a touch late on the throw to Galloway in the end zone, that he was never really in 'sync' with his wideouts, 2 of whom are still new to the team.

This could be a much different team in a few months. The real question is where they go from here -- I think it's pretty obvious that they have the talent on both sides of the ball to beat any team on any day. The question is whether they can put it all together.

#1945 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Reiss has the offensive breakdown: http://espn.go.com/b...s...&name=reiss

QB Tom Brady -- 77 of 77 snaps
WR Randy Moss -- 77 of 77
WR Joey Galloway -- 76 of 77
WR Julian Edelman -- 76 of 77
TE Benjamin Watson -- 47 of 77
TE Chris Baker -- 31 of 77
RB Kevin Faulk -- 24 of 77
RB Fred Taylor -- 24 of 77
RB Laurence Maroney -- 18 of 77
RB Sammy Morris -- 12 of 77

That's about as simple as it gets, we ran the same formation for all but one play.

#1946 JohnnyTheBone

• 4,206 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (JulE6 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh well, Pittsburgh's on. Time to watch a real football team

..... lose to a mediocre Bears team on the road.

#1947 Carmine Hose

• 3,511 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

After watching the Pats be victimized by week 1 by two horrific roughing the passer calls, today's back page of the Herald is a headscratcher. It clearly shows Shaun Ellis whacking Brady on the helmet (full hand). The Jest (sic) we're routinely taking shots after the ball was released and weren't clled once.

That said, they played like sh*t all around. The green weren't trying to do anything on offense except keep the ball so the 16 points by the defense is deceiving.

#1948 Return of the Dewey

• 1,530 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (SeanBerry @ Sep 20 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Super Bowl? Shiiiiiiiiit. I sure hope so but I don't know.

That Steelers team is really fucking good and I want to see Sanchez face a real defense. He's a rookie QB and he is going to have good days but also some really bad days.

I have been saying all offseason that it's not about 2009, it's about 2010. That's the year this team contends. Anything we get from this year is a bonus.

Also a Jets fan here, and I'd have to agree with Berry's analysis of this year's squad. If the Jets are even in contention after the midseason point, it will be a huge bonus for this team, all things considered (i.e rookie coach and QB). I don't think that they'll make the Super Bowl, but, hell, there's no way that I thought that ARZ would make the Super Bowl either. I will say, however, that this new defense is real fun to watch....and I don't think that I've ever had a Jets team that I would characterize as "fun to watch".

#1949 Carmine Hose

• 3,511 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Pats' defensive prediction: They play like they did in '07 against the Colts with a big nickel - a safety (McGowan?) up on the line to provide the run support and to shadow Dustin Keller. Keller is similar in style to Dallas Clark and I think BB will treat him that way since it's more conceivable that Sanchez will be looking for him in the intermediate zones and not the deep ball. Covering that area of the field well will allow the pass rush to get at the rookie.

Self quote. Nice call by me, except the pass rush part.