Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/11 ml Gameday: Abe vs. Boof

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Abe Alvarez) vs. Rochester (Boof Bonser) [6:05pm]
EL: Portland (Devern Hansack) @ New Britain (Adam Harben) [6:35pm]
CL: Wilmington (Luis Mendoza) @ Kinston (Joe Ness) [7:00pm]
SAL: Greenville (Hunter Jones) @ Augusts (TBD) [7:35pm]

-Brandon

Edited by Cuzittt, 11 April 2006 - 08:46 AM.

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

My first minor league stats update is complete for anyone wants to check it out. My thinking as of now is that I will update the morning after every Jon Lester start.

#3 southshoresoxfan

• 2,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

Any other SoSH'ers going to the game tomorrow night? Ill try and get some pics of any players of interest, which might be limited at Pawtucket right now.

#4 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

Any other SoSH'ers going to the game tomorrow night? Ill try and get some pics of any players of interest, which might be limited at Pawtucket right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume (only by the second sentence) that you mean the Pawtucket game. You need to be careful with such questions as there will be four games tomorrow (and in the summer, 7 or 8 games).

-Brandon

#5 southshoresoxfan

• 2,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

I assume (only by the second sentence) that you mean the Pawtucket game. You need to be careful with such questions as there will be four games tomorrow (and in the summer, 7 or 8 games).

-Brandon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah stupid me, I realized after hitting post it looked moronic, but I figured the Pawtucket was in there already...thanks though Brandon, ps keep up the good work on the mL reports, one of my favorite parts of this board.

#6 amfox1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

Pawtucket:

What a surprise. Neither team has a hit after three and a half innings.

Abe has given up two walks. 51 pitches through 4 innings for Abe.

Alejandro Machado has been pulled from the game and replaced by the carcass of Enrique Wilson. No word on why (idle speculation at 7pm: Trot on DL, Machado to Boston?).

Edited by amfox1, 11 April 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#7 amfox1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

Portland:

Jeremy West sits tonight, as Chris Durbin plays DH.

Devern Hansack makes his AA debut tonight.

Old friend Steve Lomasney plays for New Britain.

1st inning - with two outs, Durbin singles, Jimenez walks (his 4th walk in a row), Durbin takes 3B on a WP, Moss singles in a run and Jimenez scores when the relay throw goes into the 3B dugout.

Sea Dogs lead 2-0, mid 1st

(I'll let NH continue, as I am heading out)

Edited by amfox1, 11 April 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#8 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

Jed Lowrie is not in the lineup for the Blue Rocks tonight, Iggy Suarez is at SS. 2005 draftees Trevor Crowe and Stephen Head are also in the lineup for Kinston.

Hansack gives up a 2-run bomb in the bottom of the 1st for Portland, his second long fly ball of the inning. Tied 2-2 again in New Britain.

Sea Dogs go 1-2-3, and Hansack works a scoreless inning with a K, and after 2 it's 2-2.

Also, Hansen was supposed to work two innings yesterday, I've seen no mention of why he did not, but it's possible he gets that work in tonight.

Edited by NHsoxfan4, 11 April 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#9 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

Wilmington puts pressure on early, but fails to score after one half-inning.

Ellsbury: 1/1, SB
Corsaletti: 1/1, SB
Pinckney: BB

Mendoza: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Edited by NHsoxfan4, 11 April 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#10 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

Jeff Bailey goes yard with a 2-run bomb for Pawtucket, 2-0 Sox after 6 innings.

Abe: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

Claudio Arias picks up his second hit of the year, a home run.

#12 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hansen in the game:

1 IP, 2 H, HBP, 3/0 GB/FB

* Pitcher Change: Craig Hansen replaces Devern Hansack.
* Trent Oeltjen hit by pitch.
* Doug Deeds grounds into double play, second baseman David Bacani to shortstop Keoni De Renne to first baseman Luis Antonio Jimenez. Trent Oeltjen out at 2nd.
* Jason Grove singles on a fly ball to center fielder David Murphy.
* Felix Molina reaches on fielding error by third baseman Chad Spann. Jason Grove to 2nd.
* Tommy Watkins singles on a line drive to left fielder Matthew Van Der Bosch. Jason Grove to 3rd. Felix Molina to 2nd.
* Matt Tolbert grounds out, third baseman Chad Spann to first baseman Luis Antonio Jimenez.

Edited by templeUsox, 11 April 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#13 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hansen second inning pitch count:

1st batter: B, B, groundout to 3rd

2nd batter: CS, F, CS strikeout looking

3rd batter: B, B, B, B walk

4th batter: B, B, B, CS, CS, F, BB walk

5th batter: F, B, F, B, B, F, F, BB walk

6th batter: B, F, SS, F, B, F, B, groundout to 1st

33 pitches thrown, 16 strikes

threw a couple sliders in the last at-bat

Edited by NHsoxfan4, 11 April 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#14 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Any word on what pitches he is throwing NH? Is he mixing his slider and changeup in?

#15 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

He's throwing a lot of balls right now, no swinging strikes so far, mostly fastballs, apparently topping out at 93.

#16 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hansen second inning pitch count:

1st batter: B, B, groundout to 3rd

2nd batter: CS, F, CS strikeout looking

3rd batter: B, B, B, B walk

4th batter: B, B, B, CS, CS, F, BB walk

5th batter: F, B, F, B, B, F, F, BB walk

6th batter: B, F, SS, F, B, F, B, groundout to 1st

33 pitches thrown, 16 strikes

threw a couple sliders in the last at-bat

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No harm, no foul, right?

That's a weird sequence, and one that hasn't been seen since he reached pro ball. I figured the walks were a consequence of him experimenting with new pitches. I guess not. He usually has good/great control. Nice to see that he had that heavy sinking fastball today. A lof of groundballs.

#17 amfox1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Pawsox win 2-0.

Abe Alvarez pitches seven strong innings, allowing four baserunners.

In two games, Abe has pitched 12 innings and allowed six baserunners (four hits and two walks).

#18 amfox1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Greenville:

Tied 1-1, mid 5th

Run scored on a Soto squeeze bunt, after Natale and Yema singles.

#19 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

Chris Turner hits a HR. Greenville down 4-2. I know that must have felt good.

#20 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm like a proud adopt-a-prospect father right now. Who wants a cigar?

#21 amfox1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Congrats to Luis Segovia on his first low-A home run.

Unfortunately, Greenville lost 6-2.

#22 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Pawsox win 2-0.

Abe Alvarez led the the Pawsox, going the first 7 innings, giving up 2 hits and 2 walks. Craig Breslow went the final 2 innings, giving up 2 walks and striking out 1.

Jeff Bailey had the only hit that mattered for the Pawsox, hitting a 2-run dinger in the 6th. Bailey went 1/4. Ron Calloway went 1/2 with 2 walks. Willie Harris went 1/4. Tyler Minges and Trent Durrington each went 1/3. Enrique Wilson went 0/4. Josh Pressley, Rod Nye and Ken Huckaby each went 0/3.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#23 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

Wilmington makes a valient late comback, but loses to Kinston 4-3.

Luis Mendoza went the first 3 1/3 innings, giving up 5 hits, 3 walks and a wild pitch, allowing 2 runs while striking out 5. Kyle Jackson went the next 1 2/3 innings, giving up 2 hits and a walk, allowing a run while striking out one. Ryan Schroyer went the next 2 innings, giving up a hit and a walk, allowing a run while striking out 2. Jason Richardson finished off the Blue Rocks pitching, pitching a perfect 8th inning.

Claudio Arias led the Blue Rock offense, going 2/4 with a double and a HR. Iggy Suarez went 2/3 with a walk. Jeff Corsaletti went 2/5 with a double and a SB.

Andrew Pinckney went 1/3 with a walk. Jacoby Ellsbury went 1/5 with a SB. Jed Lowrie hit a single in a Pinchhitting appearance. Ian Bladergroen went 0/2 with a walk and a SF. John Otness went 0/5. Mickey Hall went 0/4. Dominic Ramos went 0/3.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#24 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

The Drive lose to the Greenjackets, 6-4.

Hunter Jones started and went the first 4 innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 walks, allowing a run while striking out 2. Kevin Guyette went the next 2 innings, giving up 5 hits, 2 walks and a WP, allowing 3 runs while striking out 3. Matt Hancock went the final 2 innings, giving up 2 hits, a HBP and 3 walks, allowing the final 2 runs.

Yahmed Yema led the offense, going 2/4. Jeff Natale went 2/5. Chris Turner, Mark Wagner and Christian Lara each went 1/4; Turner with HR #1, Wagner with a double. Luis Segovia went 1/5 with HR #1. Luis Soto went 0/2 with a walk and a sacrifice. Tony Granadillo and Logan Sorensen each went 0/4.

Yema and Soto each gunned a runner down at 3rd.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#25 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Saved Portland for last... since this will contain first hand observations. In any case, Portland defeats New Britain 7-3.

The Nicaraguan Mystery Man, Devern Hansack, started for the Seadogs, going the first 4 innings, giving up 5 hits (1 HR... at least officially) and 2 walks (1 intentional), allowing 3 runs while striking out 4. Hansack was hit with bad luck in the first. The first batter hit a squibber that started foul, bounced fair and was likely going to end up foul (based on my view of the play)... but Concepcion touched the ball to early. Props to the Umps on this one. Unfortunately, 2 batters later, Dan Deeds crushed a ball to just right of center. Murphy made a valient leap but could not catch the ball. It hit off the wall, Murphy got it and kept Deeds to a triple. Or, so everyone in the park thought. Apparently the Home Plate Umpire thought differently, and called it a HR. Now, perhaps I didn't see the ball as well as I thought I did (which would have meant it hit the Pitch Speed Indicator) or there are ground rules that indicate a ball hit above a certain point is a HR (something I doubt. Unlike Norwich, there is absolutely no gap between billboards). In any case, I liked what I saw from Hansack. His line looks worse than it actually was.

After Hansack came the pitcher everyone was waiting for, Craig Hansen. Hansen went 2 innings, giving up 2 hits. 3 walks and a HBP... but somehow getting out of consecutive bases-loaded innings to allow no runs. Hansen struck out one. Hansen was nowhere near as effective as he was on Thursday. His first pitch went to the backstop (and immediately caromed back into fair play)... and then on his 4th pitch, he hit a batter with another ball that went to the backstop. (I've seen more balls thrown to the backstop by Hansen over 2 appearances, I think I may nickname him Choate). He was then able to get a nifty Double Play, started with an excellent play by David Bacani. Hansen then gave up a solid single, a ground ball to Chad Spann that Chad came in on like he had never played 3rd in his life (the second consecutive game I've seen him do an ole - a nice play by Keoni De Renne kept the runners at 1st and 2nd)... and then anothe solid single loaded the bases. Hansen was then able to enduce a dribbler to third to get the 3rd out on a bang-bang play. Hansen started the second inning strongly before walking the bases loaded. He was then able to enduce a grounder to 1st and got the putout on another bang-bang play. He then left to a smattering of applause from the frozen crowd that had come to see him. Much of the crowd then left to go to the warmth of their cars. Although I don't believe the umps did a great job tonight, Hansen really was throwing a bunch of balls. Many were up and away. He topped out at 94 on his second pitch of the game. He still has much work to go to get his secondary pitches at a decent level.

Fortunately, my frozen carcass stayed in his seat and was treated by 2 innings from Big Edgar Martinez. In terms of prospects, Edgar showed far more than Craig on this day. He did give up a solid line drive single... but that was all. He also struck out 3. Victor Ramos threw a perfect final inning, striking out one. Victor seemed to throw a whole bunch of junk... but it seemed to be really good junk. The Final out should be noted, as the box score will simply say Ground Out 4-3. David Bacani made an excellent play ranging to his right, and quickly reacted to a bad hop which many would have missed... and easily getting the final out at 1st.

Offensively, Chris Durbin had a nearly perfect day, going 4/5 with a double. Alberto Concepcion, Brandon Moss and David Bacani each went 1/4, Bacani with a walk. David Murphy went 1/5 with a double. Luis Jimenez went 0/3 with 2 walks. Matt Van der Bosch went 0/2 with 2 walks and a SB. Keoni de Renne went 0/4 (and looks absolutely lost at the plate). Chad Spann went 0/3.

I already mentioned the most egregious Umpire Error. There was a second. Luis Jimenez caught a pop up in the 2nd inning. On the transfer out of the glove, he dropped the ball. The Umpire called no catch. Luis was not happy, going after the Ump. Lucky, the manager got out there quickly to take over the discussion. There were also a couple of fair/foul calls which they may not have gotten correct. Not a good day for them.

As for the rest of the defense... De Renne and Bacani make up an excellent middle infeld combo. Luis made a very nice pick on a low throw (by Spann, if I recall correctly). The OF was not tested in any way to rate them (they made all the plays they should have)... but there was a Texas Leaguer down the LF line (off of Hansack) where VdB might have started late, leaving de Renne with a poor angle play (which he did not make).

Overall, a good day at the ballpark. But, I need to remind myself that for the next month, bring gloves. My hands have just started to thaw out.

Boxscroe

-Brandon

#26 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,377 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

Pawsox Stories:

Game Story

"I couldn't be more pleased with both guys tonight," said Pawtucket manager Ron Johnson, whose club improves to 3-3. "I thought Alvarez was outstanding -- commanded, changed speeds, kept the hitters off balance most of the night, pitched out of jams. And then Breslow, the performance he gave us where he had the situation with the walks [in the eighth, and pitched himself out of the jam] . . . That's a really nice baseball game right there."

Alvarez -- who recorded no strikeouts, but forced the Red Wings to hit into nine groundouts -- didn't give up a hit until the sixth, when Alex Romero led off with a double down the right-field line.

Notebook

Outfielder Luke Allen, who has been on the disabled list since last Thursday with a left rib contusion, will be filling the vacancy left by Mohr.

As for Pedroia's strained left shoulder, said Hazen, "That injury's a little bit tricky, so we wanted to err on the side of caution, especially coming up to the cold [New England] weather. You know how he plays; there's no training wheels with that guy. Once he gets going, it's going to be 100 percent, and we just want to make sure that he's strong enough to play every day once he gets here."

As for Choi, "He's coming along. He's getting there," Hazen said. "Hopefully he'll be ready to start a rehab assignment at some point soon. If you re-twinge (a hamstring) now, you're looking at another four weeks and you're missing a significant portion of the season. First two weeks of the season, it's not a big deal [to hold him back]. We have that luxury coming out of spring training. Once August rolls around, he's probably playing."

Originally slated to play shortstop for Pawtucket last night, Alejandro Machado didn't make the start because he was feeling a little "under the weather" with some type of stomach bug, said Johnson.

Pawtucket's two-run sixth, courtesy of Jeff Bailey's two-run homer to left, marked Pawtucket's first multi-run inning of the season

Seadogs Stories:

GameStory

"I felt like I had a lot of command," said Hansen. "My change-up is coming along. It had a real good feel to it.

"All I had to do is trust my stuff, trust my teammates behind me and get out of the inning, and that's what I did."

Portland Manager Todd Claus was satisfied with Hansen's outing, given that he is in Double-A to work on his change-up.

"I thought he threw the ball very well," Claus said. "In the box score it's going to show that he had a few walks, but those were just-missed pitches. He accomplished one of the goals he set out to do, and that's to throw his change-up for strikes."

Blue Rocks Stories:

Game Story (Delaware Online)

Game Story

The Rocks fell to 0-3 in one-run games with Tuesday night’s loss.

(Looking a lot like last year)

The Blue Rocks pitches have not allowed a home run over the first six games of the season, spanning 51.1 innings.

Drive Stories:

Game Story

-Brandon