Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/3 Drop the Trop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
746 replies to this topic

#1 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,128 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'm sick of that shithole. Let's end our visits to Florida for this year with an offensive explosion so big it caves in the pinball dome.

Buchholz > Price

#2 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (86spike @ Sep 3 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sick of that shithole. Let's end our visits to Florida for this year with an offensive explosion so big it caves in the pinball dome.

Buchholz > Price

Only don't cave it in while our boys are still inside!

#3 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (BoSoxFink @ Sep 3 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only don't cave it in while our boys are still inside!

I'm fine with Delcarmen and Varitek being left inside.

#4 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (86spike @ Sep 3 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's end our visits to Florida for this year with an offensive explosion so big it caves in the pinball dome.

Sounds like a plan.

#5 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,325 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

Would it be wrong to ask that it then catches fire and burns all of the cowbells to a hot molten goo?

#6 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

So Rocco for Drew tonight I assume right?

#7 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,881 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Rocco is still on this team? Coulda fooled me last night.

#8 mfried

• 1,005 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone understand why David Price has displayed reverse splits in his ML appearances this year?
If this is significant, wouldn't Drew be more effective than Rocco?

#9 martybarrettoverdrive

• 433 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

FWIW, Baldelli started when Price pitched Aug. 5, with Drew PHing late. I assume Tito will follow suit tonight despite the success Price had that night.

#10 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9,312 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

On this date in 1981, Jerry Remy gets six hits in 10 at bats during the Red Sox's 20-inning victory over the Mariners. The game was suspended after 19 innings and completed the following night.

I'd like to see the whole team get more than six hits tonight!

#11 C4CRVT

• 2,439 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I'd give my left nut to be able to magically switch Longoria and Lowell. That being said, I'd love to see Buchholz move that fucker off the plate a bit tonight. He's having a season off our pitching staff.

#12 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

A good match-up tonight:

David Price had a solid August, he won 3 of his 5 starts with a 3.73 ERA and a 22Ks to 7BBs. He only had one poor outing, and that was at Anaheim where he gave up 6 runs (5 earned) in six innings. A quick glance at the box score indicates bad luck was a factor: 0BBs, 0HRs, 1 double.
He only allowed two HRs and those were both back on Aug. 5th: one to Jason Bay and the other to Victor.

Buchholz, as we know, had a roller coaster ride through August. Four impressive starts in which he went at least 6 innings and allowed 2 runs or less... and then there were the outings of Aug 2nd at Baltimore and the 24th at home against Chicago: he couldn't get out of the 5th and allowed 7ER in each. Clay's control seems to be improving, but he finished the month with 25Ks to 18 BBs.
Let's hope he builds off of his last outing.

Humble the Rays.

Edit: Wordfilter won't let me call them Devil.

Edited by teddywingman, 03 September 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#13 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13,907 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'd like to think that Buchholz can repeat his performance against the Jays last time out. But that would be unrealistic. Buchholz seems to have an almost unnatural ability to stymie the Jays. I mean, how weird is it that all three of his wins since coming up have all been against Toronto?
That being said, I'd think six plus innings, around three runs or so, would be good, and what I'd expect from him tonight. And that should be enough against Price. Price is good, probably going to be even better in the near future, but right now he's still at that point in his career where he can get hammered pretty bad on occasion. It's been well over a month since anyone gave him a serious beatdown, so either he's progressed past the occasional lapse or he's about due for another. I know which one I want to be true.
I think he'll go five plus, four or five runs. Although I can easily see the Sox scoring much, much more than that- also a lot less too. But five plus innings I think is as long as Price will go if the Sox get their normal selective at bats in. Get him into the high nineties pitchcount-wise by the end of the fifth inning, which I expect, and he's unlikely to make it all the way through the sixth. Which would give the Sox three innings or so of that terrible Rays bullpen. As long as Tito doesn't make boneheaded bullpen moves again after Buchholz is out, then I'd say the Sox would have just the very slightest of advantages tonight.

#14 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Ellsbury, CF
Pedroia, 2B
Martinez, C
Youkilis, 1B
Bay, LF
Ortiz, DH
Lowell, 3B
Baldelli, RF
Gonzalez, SS

#15 Hee Sox Choi

• 3,194 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

Haha, Lugo couldn't turn an inning-ending DP to get Smoltz out of trouble and then Casey McGehee hits a 2-run jack. Smoltz looking OK though.

#16 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Kilgore A. Trout @ Sep 3 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to think that Buchholz can repeat his performance against the Jays last time out. But that would be unrealistic. Buchholz seems to have an almost unnatural ability to stymie the Jays. I mean, how weird is it that all three of his wins since coming up have all been against Toronto?

With the stuff he had last time out, he could breeze through anyone.
Also, don't forget that he pitched well enough to win at the toilet 6IP 2ER... walks contributed significantly to both runs.

All else aside, I hope we see a strong K/BB ratio tonight from Clay. If he can do that, then continued success will follow.

#17 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Another injury for Texas. Josh Hamilton has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve in his lower back. He got an injection and will be reevaluated on Friday, but as of now is day to day.

#18 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,295 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

We end this race tonight!!!

#19 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13,907 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (teddywingman @ Sep 3 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the stuff he had last time out, he could breeze through anyone.
Also, don't forget that he pitched well enough to win at the toilet 6IP 2ER... walks contributed significantly to both runs.

All else aside, I hope we see a strong K/BB ratio tonight from Clay. If he can do that, then continued success will follow.

I hold out great hope too, and I would definitely not be surprised if he can do to the Rays what he did to the Jays. But I also would not be surprised if he comes back to Earth a bit, that him and Toronto is just one of those things. I seem to recall a time a few years back when the Sox got embarrassed by Kazmir just about every time they faced him- yet he'd get his head handed to him by just about every one else.

And a little sidenote: I'm with teddywingman on the word filter not allowing anyone to call the team the D E V I L Rays. Can someone take that off please? If they don't want some folks to use the moniker than they should probably take the stingray off their uniform sleeve.

#20 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 3 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another injury for Texas. Josh Hamilton has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve in his lower back. He got an injection and will be reevaluated on Friday, but as of now is day to day.

Somebody mail him some pain pills or something ASAP.

#21 SoxFan234

• 342 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Kilgore A. Trout @ Sep 3 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hold out great hope too, and I would definitely not be surprised if he can do to the Rays what he did to the Jays. But I also would not be surprised if he comes back to Earth a bit, that him and Toronto is just one of those things. I seem to recall a time a few years back when the Sox got embarrassed by Kazmir just about every time they faced him- yet he'd get his head handed to him by just about every one else.

And a little sidenote: I'm with teddywingman on the word filter not allowing anyone to call the team the D E V I L Rays. Can someone take that off please? If they don't want some folks to use the moniker than they should probably take the stingray off their uniform sleeve.

If Clay has the stuff he had last time, he'll be able to mow down the Rays. If he can command the fastball and change PLUS that curveball, he'll do very, very well.

#22 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

If Clay can outpitch Price, that would make this extra sweet.

#23 Hee Sox Choi

• 3,194 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hey, does anyone know where to get Park Factors with L/R SPLITS? ESPN's park factors don't have it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#24 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,128 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 3 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

delivered by 6 strippers rolled in cocaine.

#25 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,881 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Foulkey Reese @ Sep 3 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I stated in chat last night, I hear heroin works extremely well for this type of injury.

#26 Hee Sox Choi

• 3,194 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Rays

J. Bartlett ss
C. Crawford lf
B. Zobrist 2b
C. Pena 1b
P. Burrell dh
E. Longoria 3b
G. Zaun c
G. Gross rf
B.J. Upton cf

#27 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm surprised Maddon doesn't have Greg Zaun hitting cleanup.

#28 khgiddon

• 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm surprised Maddon doesn't have Greg Zaun hitting cleanup.

Maddon has yet to learn how to get his Z-game on.

#29 toofarfrommontana

• 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Just end this team. End their season tonight. Make grown men cry...

#30 Rick V

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

After being at The Trop for the first two games of this series I can honestly say this: I want a win tonight in a very, very, very bad way. The Rays' fans are pure, classless scum. They deserve to leave The Trop tonight with absolutely no hopes for a post-season.

#31 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13,907 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

I still say its already over for the Rays. They're now just a team the Sox have too much trouble with.
The Sox need to win to push the Rangers back to three games out.

#32 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Wakefield threw a side session today and the team will wait to see how he responds tomorrow before deciding if he will start over Tazawa on Saturday.

Wakefield said he would be open to surgically removing the disk fragment if the pain continued and he couldn't start Saturday. The procedure would keep him out for four weeks but he would make it back in time for the postseason.

#33 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,663 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 3 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wakefield threw a side session today and the team will wait to see how he responds tomorrow before deciding if he will start over Tazawa on Saturday.

Wakefield said he would be open to surgically removing the disk fragment if the pain continued and he couldn't start Saturday. The procedure would keep him out for four weeks but he would make it back in time for the postseason.

In time to do what?

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 03 September 2009 - 05:31 PM.

#34 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Jed Zeppelin @ Sep 3 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In time to do what?

Soak up innings in a blowout?

#35 estreetfan

• 399 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Rick V @ Sep 3 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After being at The Trop for the first two games of this series I can honestly say this: I want a win tonight in a very, very, very bad way. The Rays' fans are pure, classless scum. They deserve to leave The Trop tonight with absolutely no hopes for a post-season.

I was there a few years ago and there were tons of Yankee fans in attendance wearing their gear just to root against the Sox. Between the Yankee and Rays fans, I don't know who irritated me more.

Go Sox!

Edited by estreetfan, 03 September 2009 - 05:36 PM.

#36 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13,907 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Sep 3 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, would that be four weeks normally or four weeks for a man in his mid forties?

And secondly, would he really be in time for the postseason? Even if he had it done tomorrow, four weeks from then would the very end of the season. And there would be no outlet for a real rehab start, just some simulated stuff. Now I doubt he'd be starting in the first round either way over Buchholz, Lester, and Beckett, but even for the second round I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with a guy just coming back from surgery starting in an ALCS game.

Edited by Kilgore A. Trout, 03 September 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#37 Stitch01

• SoSH Member

• 9,066 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

Cafardo is such a moron, way to know the transaction rules buddy.

#38 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,394 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

From ESPN:

GAME INFORMATION
Stadium Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL
Wind -1 mph
Umpires Home - Ed Rapuano, First Base - Paul Schrieber, Second Base - Paul Nauert, Third Base - Joe West

I always knew there was something sketchy about this stadium. Negative velocities!

#39 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13,907 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

And now for the annual query about online video feeds of the game. Anyone got one?

#40 khgiddon

• 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

I always knew there was something sketchy about this stadium. Negative velocities!

It's part of Maddon's genius.

#41 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,547 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

In the off season the Sox should trade for Bartlett.

#42 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Are Don Orsillo and Dave Roberts wearing the same suit?

#43 Rooster Crows

• 1,116 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Beat these guys down and grind 'em into dust - they are annoying. Bring it, Clay - kick their asses big time, and guys - keep up the runs, but do it first and often. No excuse - no surrender.

GO SOX - WIN TODAY!

#44 kartvelo

• 3,804 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (DukeSox @ Sep 3 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because in the Trop the winds don't blow, but the park does suck.

Edited by kartvelo, 03 September 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#45 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,373 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Fucking piece of shit Trop.

Win Clay.

#46 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,818 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

If there was ever a time to give Ortiz the day off.

#47 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

Another capacity crowd at the Trop.

Somebody burn that place to the ground, please.

#48 God's Cop

• Your friendly neighborhood CuntyBollocks

• 690 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

#49 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Is it just me or has Pedey been god awful recently?

#50 Max Power

• thai good. you like shirt?

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Rasputin @ Sep 3 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are Don Orsillo and Dave Roberts wearing the same suit?

They sit so close to each other on the pregame show that they could literally wear the same suit.