Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

MLB Extra Innings - Fairfield County Blackout!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 thisyearisthe

• 1,387 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

So I get home tonight (missed last night due to work), settle into the couch, pop channel 780 on my Comcast Extra Innings, and...

Nothing. Black screen.

So I called up Comcast (who was more than happy to take my$160 three days ago), and they politely informed me that Major League Baseball had changed the rules this year and that my town is now subject to blackout restrictions for Red Sox games.

Further, Comcast is still not allowed to offer NESN in Fairfield County since it is the yankees and mets home broadcast area.

I'm shut out. This sucks. I've been watching the games on Extra Innings for 2 years. Watching on the computer just does not compare.

Does this make sense to anyone? Is anyone else dealing with this BS? I assume the same blackout restrictions apply to Direct TV and Dish Network customers as well...

#2 8slim

• SoSH Member

• 6,304 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

I assume the same blackout restrictions apply to Direct TV and Dish Network customers as well...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't speak to EI, but in most towns in FC you can get the sports package on DirecTV for $10/month and get all Sox games on NESN. No black outs.

Edited by 8slim, 04 April 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#3 Bowlerman9

• bitchslapped by Keith Law

• 5,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

I live in upstate NY, which is Mets/Yankees territory. I have DirecTV and EI (and the sports package) and I havent had any trouble the last 2 days with Sox games (I did last Sat with the Sox/Philly game).

The only problems I have are when the Sox play the Yanks, I am forced to watch the game off of YES (NESN and ESPN are blacked out).

#4 thisyearisthe

• 1,387 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

That was my situation last year. Comcast is telling me MLB changed the rules in Connecticut this year, at least for my zip code.

Apparently they're trying to either (A) force me to install a satellite dish or (B) force me to buy the MLB.TV subscription.

Either way, they're pissing me off. It shouldn't be this hard to watch a dang baseball game.

#5 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

Just install the dish. I can't stand Comcast - I dumped their internet because they treat their customers like garbage.

#6 BrooklynDog45

• 464 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

I have EI through DirecTV (live in Brooklyn and will be moving to NJ soon). Does anyone know how often NESN HD will be available or how to find which games will be on HD stations 90-99 opposite the regular broadcast on 623?

#7 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,608 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

I got into this as well in Fairfield County and was forced to get Directv so I could get NESN.

There literally is zero way that you will be able to change this, so start planning otherwise and fight for your 160 back.

#8 MiddletownYazMan

• 834 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

A little off topic but in my area of Ct. (Bristol) Comcast is not carrying the Mets channel. No Pedro viewing for me apparently this year and all the Mets games are blacked out on ESPN. Have been watching the Mets during Sox commercials since the Kiner/McCarver/Zabriske days of 85 so this a real bummer.

#9 HighHeat

• smokes polls

• 3,924 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

I'm not clear what 'blackout rule' would cause them not to show a Sox road game in Texas on a Tuesday night when no one has nationwide broadcasting rights...doesn't make sense to me.

Did they say on what grounds it was blacked out? I'm curious what the 'logic' is there...

I have EI on Cablevision in NY and have had no such problems (except for being subjected to the YES broadcasting crew during Sox-yanks games, as noted above).

Good luck.

#10 thisyearisthe

• 1,387 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

I agree - I think Comcast is misinterpreting the blackout rule. Clearly I am not in the Red Sox home viewing area.

#11 Deweys New Stance

• 1,050 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

I assume this thread moves to the help forum, but Sunday I went to order EI from Cablevision online, and got a message that it wasn't available in my area (Stamford) Sounds like I may have dodged a bullet if they're planning on blacking out the Sox broadcasts...I'll have to check tonight if it shows up on the free previews. The Fairfield County cable system blackout of NESN is the stupidest freakin' thing ever.

#12 bigyazbread

• 483 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

I agree with the chorus...DirecTV with local channels is the way to go...I'm just outside Fairfield County in lower Litchfield county, and my cable system has always refused to carry NESN, so I got the dish and told Charter Communications to go screw. I am considered to be in the Red Sox territory, so I don't have to pay the extra $10/month to get NESN.

DirecTV is always running all kinds of specials to entice new customers...Call them, it can't hoit.

BTW, good luck with getting your $160 back...thoughts & prayers, etc.

#13 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,041 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

Another reason to subscribe to mlb.com

#14 Ted Cox 4 president

• 759 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

FWIW: I watched last night's game (groan) on MLB EI via Time Warner Cable in the very heart of MFY country.

Make a stink about it.

#15 Quintana Daydream

• 1,146 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

"I have EI through DirecTV (live in Brooklyn and will be moving to NJ soon). Does anyone know how often NESN HD will be available or how to find which games will be on HD stations 90-99 opposite the regular broadcast on 623? "

Not enough...in fact, not ever as of yet. I email DirecTV every day to keep the heat on.

#16 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

Why is it such a pain in the butt to get games on TV in the NY area?

I live in a two-team area and if one of them debuted a new TV network, it'd just be on TV. That simple.

#17 BrooklynDog45

• 464 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

"I have EI through DirecTV (live in Brooklyn and will be moving to NJ soon). Does anyone know how often NESN HD will be available or how to find which games will be on HD stations 90-99 opposite the regular broadcast on 623? "

Not enough...in fact, not ever as of yet. I email DirecTV every day to keep the heat on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to assume once in a while they will throw some HD SOX games on 90-99. On opening day Monday the Dodgers game was on HD 95. The picture was sweet!!! And Vin Scully was doing play by play.

#18 thisyearisthe

• 1,387 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Since I started this thread, I might as well stick a fork in it.

Comcast admitted to making a mistake and fixed the problem. I am currently watching the game. Texas feed, but I can't complain.

You know, anymore.