Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

A Message from Alex Hoyt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4660 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

Alex Hoyt, John's son, sent me the following today. I would welcome anyone who wants to share a story about how they, a friend, or family member has been affected by this horrific disease to do so here.

Sons of Sam Horn,

First, on behalf of my family I would like to thank everyone associated with Sons of Sam Horn for the tremendous amount of time and energy put forth into raising both money for and awareness of ALS. When a close family friend and member of Sons of Sam Horn, Chuck Korb, told me that an online auction and softball game would be completed in my father Johnís memory, I was honored. However, when I saw that $65,000 had been raised for Curtís Pitch for ALS and was going to the Massachusetts Chapter of the ALS Association I was completely blown away.

I have always had a passion for baseball and especially baseball history. As a result, while growing up, my knowledge of ALS was limited to Lou Gehrig and the rare disease that was named after him. In Middle School I remember thinking ďwell that canít happen to anyone I know,Ē because I didnít know anyone with the disease. Over the past four years my perspective has completely changed as I have watched not only my father wither away from this devastating illness, but also, the fathers of two people with whom I went to high school. Clearly the momentum is shifting. More is being done to raise awareness whether it be through: Major League Baseballís celebration of Lou Gehrig through the fight for ALS weekend this fourth of July, Curt Schillingís use of his celebrity status to bring attention to the cause, or the fundraising done by people like Sons of Sam Horn that will hopefully find a cure.

Once again I want to extend my sincere thanks for all that is being done to beat ALS. It is overwhelming to think that a game my father loved and supported his entire life is now taking up the battle that cost him his life.

Thank you for your generosity,

Alex Hoyt

#2 Sille Skrub

• 3957 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Fris.

#3 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19000 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

My Atlanta Thrashers ticket buddy is Dr. Jonathan Glass. Dr. Glass is the director of the ALS clinic at Emory University, which is the largest facility for ALS patients here in the southeast. I've had many discussions with him about his work between periods of hockey games. The point he has stressed to me over and over is that there's more to the fight against ALS then just seeking a cure. Tremendous financial resources are needed year in and year out to care for those who are currently afflicted.

#4 inATLwithEdgar

• 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

I don't have any story to tell but I will say that just reading a first hand account makes all personal time spent/donations seem meaningless. I want to say thank you to all the organizers and participants, notably Candy, LoweTek, Fris, blessyouboys, absinthe and any others I have left off for spending so much time on making this an annual event not to be missed.

#5 Saints Rest

• 3748 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

I know there were a few remembrnaces of family and friends lost to ALS last year (I know I posted mine about my Mom). It might be fitting if those posts could be resurrected and pinned to the top of this forum. That could then be a place for further remembrances could be placed -- a true "Win It For . . ." thread for the Bash. Maybe that thread could be printed up, bound in something nice, but not too expensive, and given to someone as a reward: perhaps for most money donated, or for most money raised thru his/her donations.

Finally, and in a slightly different vein, I'm sure many people know this, but I can't remember it ever being noted in this context, but the best-selling book Tuesdays with Morrie was about author Mitch Albom's experience with a former mentor who had ALS. I read it a couple days before my Mom died and I'm not too proud to say that I cried pretty much non-stop for the last 25 pages or so.