Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Arsenal 2009-2010: Everyone Injured

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
620 replies to this topic

#51 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9224 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

So far, despite a million rumors and possibilities, all Arsenal have done is swap out Adebayor, Toure and Senderos for Vermalen. This after finishing trophyless again and being utterly outclassed by ManUre in the CL. Selling off those players is fine, but now the money needs to be spent on improving the team. At least two more quality players need to come in if this team is going to win anything this year.

#52 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

Rosicky Hurt
Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky, who has been out for 18 months due to injury, has hurt his hamstring in training.

The 28-year-old's last appearance was in an FA Cup tie against Newcastle in January 2008, and since then he has struggled with hamstring and knee problems.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger described the injury as a setback but did not say whether the Czech international would miss the start of the new season.

Rosicky injured the hamstring in training on Wednesday. Arsenal's policy is to send players for a scan if they pick up injuries.

"Six weeks ago I did not know how strong Eduardo (Da Silva) would come back, or how strong Rosicky would come back, despite the setback he has had," said Wenger, whose team start the Premier League season at Everton on 15 August.

Fantastic. It was really great seeing him over the weekend at the Emirates Cup. I think Arsenal is okay in terms of attacking players as they have Arshavin, Eduardo, Van Persie, Walcott, etc. It's just disheartening to see this guy continuously fail to stay healthy.

#53 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

Arsenal are facing Celtic FC in the Champions League. Destiny.

Obviously, I'm happy that Arsenal don't have to travel very far. I don't know the quality of Celtic's current squad or the Scottish League, but I'm happy that Arsenal doesn't have to face Atlético or travel to Italy or Romania. Fiorentina would have been an interesting opponent though given the Felipe Melo transfer saga. It always seems that Arsenal get an opponent they are destined to face. Celtic was definitely one of those opponents.

Celtic will be home for the first leg. Arsenal will be home for the second...I'm going to be in London for the second leg...hmmmmmmm.

Edited by sachmoney, 07 August 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#54 Joe D Reid

• 2592 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 7 2009, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know the quality of Celtic's current squad or the Scottish League,

Poor and poor, respectively--see the Celtic thread for a couple of quality laments regarding the current state of Scottish football. About the only way Arsenal won't go through is if the atmosphere at Parkhead gets to some of their younger guys. On a talent basis, it isn't close.

#55 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Joe D Reid @ Aug 7 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poor and poor, respectively--see the Celtic thread for a couple of quality laments regarding the current state of Scottish football. About the only way Arsenal won't go through is if the atmosphere at Parkhead gets to some of their younger guys. On a talent basis, it isn't close.

Oh, I've certainly read the Celtic thread, I read almost all the threads in this forum. Having seen what Arsenal did to Rangers over the weekend...I just don't want to pencil us into the next round before the matches are played. Furthermore, I hear Celtic Park is an absolutely amazing environment, but from all accounts, it seems to me that Arsenal are considered the more talented squad. I'm fairly confident.

Apparently, Merida is going on loan:
20090807 Arsenal midfielder Fran Merida is set to join Levante for the upcoming season after agreeing a loan deal with the Spanish club. Sources from the Valencia-based team have indicated that the signing will be officially announced on Sunday.

The 19-year-old Spaniard spent half of the 2007/2008 season on-loan at Real Sociedad and now seems certain to spend another spell away from the Emirates Stadium.

Levante, who will celebrate their centennial year during the upcoming season, are looking to gain promotion from Spain's Segunda Division.

The club's sporting director Manuel Salvador believes Merida can lead the team towards this goal after the departure of striker Alexandre Geijo to Racing Santander.

"This player (Merida) could be very important for us after the exit of Alex Geijo. We have fought for his services because Arsenal have received many offers this summer," he said.

Merida's agent, Joseba Diaz, says that his client will be happy to play for Levante during the new campaign.

I'm not too happy about this as I thought Merida could make an impact on the first team, but it appears that Arsene favors holding onto Ramsey and giving him a chance to be Fabregas's back up. I wonder how the loans will work out for players like Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Henri Lansbury. I really think Lansbury could be a force in the Arsenal midfield as he has both size and strength as well as a good tie with Wilshere. Last year, Arsenal loaned out most of their defensive reserves and it really hurt when most of the first team starters were injured. While these players need experience, it hurt the depth of the club significantly.

#56 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Here are the starters:
-----------Almunia------------
Eboue-Gallas-Djourou-Clichy
-------------Song-------------
----Fabregas----Diaby--------
Bendtner-Van Persie-Arshavin

Not too happy with how Arsenal played in the first half. I think they were out-physicalized. They didn't pass very well. I just don't like having Bendtner on the wing, and I'm not sure how I like Van Persie playing with either Arshavin or Bendtner right now. Arshavin still seems to be trying too hard at times. His first touch passes are somewhat questionable. I would like to see Eduardo and Walcott come in. Eduardo in the middle, Walcott on the right, perhaps Jack coming in for Arshavin after 15 on the left, and Merida for Diaby in the middle. Defensively, Arsenal needs to be stronger. I think Djourou needs to be stronger, but Eboue and Clichy have done pretty well.

Second Half:
------------Fabianski-------------
Sagna-Djourou--Silvestre-Traore
---------------Song---------------
----Fabregas------Ramsey-------
Walcott-----Eduardo----Wilshere

Silvestre gives a penalty, Fabianski stone walls Villa. On the ensuing corner, Fabregas heads it to save a goal.

Gibbs in for Song and Merida in for Fabregas.

And Valencia scores...I'm not impressed with what I've seen from the Gunners at all today.

This is a totally different squad without Fabregas and Arshavin. They definitely need a better holding midfielder than Song who simply fouls too much. They need someone who is a clean and strong tackler.

And David Villa with a classy goal in stoppage time. 2-0 Valencia.

Edited by sachmoney, 08 August 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#57 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

Some Updates:

Walcott called up:
Arsène Wenger was happy to see Theo Walcott called up for England’s friendly with Holland on Wednesday – even though the winger has barely played for his Club in pre-season.

Fabio Capello’s squad was announced on Saturday night just as the Arsenal players were warming up for their final friendly game at Valencia.

The 20-year-old got a first 45 minutes under his belt as the visitors went down 2-0 at the Mestalla. For that reason, Wenger welcomed Walcott's selection for his country.

“England are playing a friendly and Capello told me they would call him up so I am not surprised,” the manager told Arsenal.com. “He needs competition so if he plays it is good for us.”

Vermaelen should be back against Everton:
Thomas Vermaelen is “very close” to returning from injury and could make his full debut against Everton on Saturday.

The Belgian centre-half, who signed for the Gunners in June, featured in Arsenal’s first four pre-season fixtures but missed the final three with a groin problem.

However, speaking after his side’s defeat against Valencia on Saturday, Arsène Wenger delivered some good news on the defender’s situation.

“He is very close,” the manager confirmed.

“If we had wanted to take a gamble then we could have played him but we did not want.

“He should be available for next weekend.”

Wilshere gets the U-21 call:
Jack Wilshere has been called up to Stuart Pearce's 19-man squad to face Holland Under-21s on Tuesday night.

The 17-year-old, who scored twice during the Emirates Cup, will replace former-Gunner Fabrice Muamba who could not meet up with the squad because of an injury.

Jack could line up against a familiar face in Nacer Barazite, who is in the Dutch squad for the friendly fixture.

The clash is England Under-21s' first since their Final disappointment against Germany in June and will form part of the preparations for their first two 2011 qualifiers next month.

#58 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11718 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Almunia now says he wants to play for England.:

http://www.guardian....riendly-almunia

Oh, and he desperately wants to look like BJ Novak, too. He's doing better at that one.

#59 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (DLew On Roids @ Aug 10 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almunia now says he wants to play for England.:

http://www.guardian....riendly-almunia

This has been rumored for sometime DLew.

Not exactly a reliable source, but...Hangeland?
Brede Hangeland is on his way to Arsenal Football Club, according to reports in Norway.

Arsene Wenger is on the lookout for a new central defender this summer, after losing Ivory Coast international Kolo Toure to Manchester City in a £14million deal.

Thomas Vermaelen, the Belgian international, has been signed from Ajax, but the Gunners chief wants to pair his new recruit with Fulham star Hangeland.

It is being claimed in Norway that a deal has been agreed between the two Premier League clubs, which will see the 28-year-old head to the Emirates Stadium before the weekend.
I really hope this happens.

#60 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Injury Updates:
Thomas Vermaelen is set to make his full debut at Everton on Saturday, however Arsène Wenger still has a number of injury concerns going into the opening match of the Premier League campaign.

The Belgian missed the latter end of pre-season with a hamstring problem but returned on Wednesday night by playing 45 minutes for Belgium.

That is the upside of the injury news. The downside is that Wenger could be without as many as six players for Saturday evening’s match. Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and Samir Nasri (broken leg) were already sidelined before the manager spoke to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon. However, in that interview, the Frenchman ruled out Theo Walcott (back), Johan Djourou (knee) and Lukasz Fabianski (knee) from the trip to Goodison Park, while Abou Diaby (groin) is classed as a doubt.

“We have some problems,” admitted Wenger. “We have Theo Walcott (back), who is not available. Diaby has a little groin problem but he could be available.

“[Also] we have lost Johan Djourou and Lukasz Fabianksi because they had injuries. Lukasz had a cartilage surgery. He will be out for two months. Johan has a knee problem that will take some time to cure - one month.

“Thomas Vermaelen played 45 minutes for Belgium last night and came through OK so he will be available.”

Rosicky and Nasri collected their problems in pre-season. Both midfielders are working their way back but, even when they have recovered. they will still require rehabilitation.

“Tomas Rosicky is two weeks away,” said Wenger. “Samir Nasri [is out] three-and-a-half weeks now. But it will be six or seven weeks until he is available for training.”

#61 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

This is one of the best interviews I've ever read, and gives some pretty fascinating insights into the man, as well as finally resolving the money issue and the formation the team will play this year (4-3-3).

Matthew Syed and Martin Samuel interview Arsene Wenger

#62 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7932 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:37 AM

How will the line up in a 4-3-3?

Arshavin on the left, RVP on the right?

#63 allaboutthesox

• 2616 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Solid game by the Gunners today on a 6-1 thrashing of my team Everton. Best of luck to you fellas the rest of the way and even better health.

#64 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thought they came out shaky in the first 20 minutes, but once Denilson scored, the game really seemed to turn. Nicklas Bendtner really impressed me on the wing, he was one of the few players that could hold onto the ball early on. He made a very nice move to free himself up and set up that first goal.

After that, everything seemed to go Arsenal's way. Everton seemed to be playing without any purpose. Obviously, the story of the game was Cesc Fabregas. I remember Zomp talking in the chat about how Arsenal fans have overrated Fabregas. I think I'd have to disagree with the terminology: Fabregas has been overhyped. However, he's 22 now, captain of the club, and has looked fantastic when he's been in the line up (today and the preseason). More importantly, the team has looked great. He looks like he's grown up into the player that Arsenal fans have dreamed him of being. It's just one game though, but it was a fantastic start.

Other thoughts? I'm very happy that Eduardo got on the score sheet. Cesc's tribute to Jarque was one of the best goal celebrations I've seen in a while. The defense was definitely shaky to start, and while I did notice a cross that went through the box without even being touched, I thought Gallas and Vermaelen played pretty decently. Having watched Fulham in the morning, Brede Hangeland would be a great acquisition to prevent these kind of things, but I was overall pretty pleased. I cannot state enough how much this team missed William Gallas at the end of last year.

Link to the highlights

Wenger after the match.

Still on top of the table!

EDIT: I just read that Wenger blocked a loan for Merida...Life couldn't get better!

Edited by sachmoney, 15 August 2009 - 09:41 PM.

#65 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Injury Concerns:
Arsenal could be set for an injury blow ahead of the first leg of their Champions League play-off clash with Celtic at Parkhead on Tuesday night.

The Gunners have injury doubts over Bacary Sagna, Cesc Fabregas and Denilson, with captain Fabregas given only a 50-50 chance of playing.

Sagna took a knock in Saturday's 6-1 win over Everton while Denilson (groin) and Fabregas (hamstring) will also be assessed before the game, although midfielder Abou Diaby has recovered from a groin injury.

England forward Theo Walcott is still out with a back complaint and defender Johan Djourou (knee) remains on the sidelines, as Arsenal look to progress to the lucrative group stages of Europe's biggest club competition with a depleted squad.
Without Fabregas, Arsenal looked awful in the preseason. I have no idea what kind of formation Wenger would use and whether they would have any chance in winning. This is not good.

According to Wenger, Cesc has more then a 50 percent chance of playing, but he has a tight hamstring. Hopefully he will be available for at least 60 minutes. That should be enough.

Edited by sachmoney, 17 August 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#66 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

Match starts in approximately 30 minutes:
Arsenal are not the only star attraction here in Glasgow tonight.

While 58,000 watch the Gunners go toe-to-toe with Celtic at Parkhead, many more will be tapping their toes to U2 just three miles down the road at Hampden Park.

No one bothered to ask Arsène Wenger for his thoughts on Bono or The Edge at his pre-match press conference but one song from the Irish band's bulging back-catalogue summed up the Arsenal manager's mood quite succinctly. Wenger saw his team dismantle Everton 6-1 at the weekend but he is adamant: 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.

"I said many times that I believe in the team but you cannot go to any conclusion after one game," said the Frenchman. "It is one game and I believe we have room for improvement in every aspect of the game we played on Saturday – offensively and defensively.

"In every game we face a new problem and we start from zero again. We have to find the solutions that the game will give you. We will go forward maybe with a bit of lifted belief and confidence because we had a good result away from home at a difficult place.

"Every opportunity we created we scored in the Everton game which shows that the team is highly focused. Our targets are not reached yet but we had an important away victory in what is usually a very difficult place to take points."

Which brings us nicely onto Celtic. This draw was greeted with relief in some quarters as Arsenal avoided an overseas trip to Atletico Madrid or Fiorentina but, make no mistake, the Scottish giants are a significant obstacle as the Gunners look to reach the group stage of the Champions League for a 12th consecutive season.

Celtic leave Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague and FC Twente - Arsenal's previous qualifying round opponents - in the shade, and they have history on their side too. The Bhoys have lost just one of eight home games against English opposition in Europe, and that was way back in 1983. Manchester United lost here three years ago and only managed a draw at Parkhead last season.

Then there's the crowd. Arsenal's youngsters have endured hostile home support at the Bernabeu, the San Siro and the Stadio Olimpico in recent seasons but Celtic fans probably eclipse all of them for passion and sheer noise. It all stacks up to a demanding night for Wenger's team - but it's a test he believes they can pass.

"The atmosphere is always heated in Scotland and we expect that," said the Frenchman. "I’m sure they will try and make it very hard for us but at at the end of the day it’s always XI against XI on the pitch and that’s what matters.

"We have been all over Europe in very heated places and we know by experience that what will matter is how well we play. If we play well we can keep the atmosphere low key – it’s only down to our performance.

"It is a very important game for us because we know what is at stake and we know how difficult it is to play here. It opens the door to the Champions League and we want to be in there of course.

"I still feel there is a high pressure on us to perform because it’s a massive game for us, but on the other hand you want games with that kind of pressure and you want the opportunity to show how good you are. We have another opportunity to show that.

"It is a game that we try to win, it’s as simple as that. I think you can only approach football like that. You cannot go into the game and think ‘let’s be 90 per cent and make the difference at home’ – it doesn’t work like that. We need to be fully focused and try to win the game.

"All we can do is prepare well and make sure we perform because we know an average game will not be good enough against Celtic."

Abou Diaby is back in the squad after a groin problem and could go straight into the starting line-up if Cesc Fabregas (hamstring) or Denilson (groin) fail fitness tests. Fabregas has "much more than a 50 per cent chance" of playing according to Wenger but Bacary Sagna is also a doubt with Emmanuel Eboue the obvious deputy at right-back. Theo Walcott (back), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring), Samir Nasri (broken leg), Johan Djourou (knee) and Lukasz Fabianski (knee) are still sidelined.

One man who Wenger can call upon for the first time in Europe is Andrey Arshavin. The Russian star was ineligible for the Champions League when he joined Arsenal in February after representing Zenit St. Petersburg in last season's competition.

The 28-year-old's experience and nous could be invaluable at Parkhead as Arsenal attempt to draw the sting from their fired-up opponents. But isn't all this 'Battle of Britain' stuff lost on the likes of Arshavin and his cosmopolitan team-mates?

Wenger laughed. "They will understand quickly on Tuesday night!"

Line up:
Arsenal
Manuel Almunia
Bacary Sagna
Thomas Vermaelen
William Gallas
Gael Clichy
Denilson
Alex Song
Cesc Fabregas
Andrey Arshavin
Robin Van Persie
Nicklas Bendtner
Same as Everton, let's hope for the same results.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS, WIN TODAY!

#67 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

You snobs have all your money and your London wankery but we have GOD on our side.

COME ON CELTIC!

#68 CodPiece XL

• 826 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Lucky bastards being able to watch this!!

#69 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (CodPiece XL @ Aug 19 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucky bastards being able to watch this!!

Fuck mate, it's even live here in Sydney.

Danny Fox is the only English player on the pitch.

Also, I'm ecstatic McDonald isn't playing.

#70 CodPiece XL

• 826 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Aug 18 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fuck mate, it's even live here in Sydney.

Danny Fox is the only English player on the pitch.

Also, I'm ecstatic McDonald isn't playing.

Well, I'm having to work. However, I do have BBC Radio 5 which I just found a link to, so all is not lost.

#71 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

For fucks sake... Aresnal take the lead just before half on a free kick that goes on after being redirected by the back of Gallas as he tried to get out of the way.

#72 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

Arsenal again in off a Caldwell OG.

Caldwell's been hot and cold all night. He lunged at a low cross from supersub Abu Dabi and it nicked in off his boot but in fairness it looked like a sure goal chance for the Arse if he didn't get a boot on it.

Celtic have played well this whole game to keep up with and even challenge their rich Southern opponents. It's been some real bad luck because this could easily still be 0-0.

My fear is that the floodgates are open now and we'll see one or two more. Only the most optimistic Celtic supporter, coach or player will still be thinking about Champions League at this stage...

Edited by SydneySox, 18 August 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#73 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

I'm obviously very happy with the result, but I'm happy with some of the performances as well.

I thought that the midfield was very good once again. That's not just Cesc Fabregas. Alex Song was very strong as a holding midfielder tucked in right in front of the defense. Having watched the Valencia match a couple weeks ago, I was worried he would be overpowered, particularly in Europe. I've been very impressed with his play thus far. Denilson had another solid game as well. He did an excellent job of containing Celtic attackers. I do think they could use some size in the middle (Lansbury or Diaby should be given a chance) especially when they play bigger teams.

Also, the centerback pairing is starting to gel. I feel that Vermaelen is becoming more and more comfortable with every minute he plays back there. It was nice to see him make some runs up as well. Gallas was solid as always, I'm starting to think he's one of the more underrated center backs in the Premiership.

Lastly, I didn't really focus on Arshavin too much, but he was heaped with praise from others. I didn't think he was horrible, he just didn't have much of the ball because he was passing so quickly with one touches. Van Persie hasn't been much of a factor in the first two games. Bendtner was solid, especially in the air, where it seemed Almunia was targetting him.

A good win heading into next week's fixture.

Wenger's thoughts:
On his side’s performance…
“I think it was a fierce battle. I felt collectively we dominated the game but Celtic were always willing, fighting and counter-attacking. In the end, despite being in control, we scored two lucky goals. It was a big fight tonight and we needed a strong Arsenal side to win the game. The crowd and players were absolutely up for it and I believe with an average performance we would not have won the game today.”

On the 2-0 advantage being “good enough”…

“We have a good advantage but it’s 180 minutes, we’re ahead after 90. When you want to go through you want to play well for 180 – that’s our purpose. We want to win the home game and of course qualify for the Group Stage. We are in a strong position and we now want to take advantage of that.

“I believe we have to make sure we win the game at home. It would not be serious to take that game in a non-serious way. It is a massive game, what is at stake is massive to us because we want to play with the best. Even with an advantage of two goals we want to finish the job at home.”

On deserving their good fortune…

“I believe we forced them to make one or two mistakes at the back. I conceded that we were lucky on the goals today but we had plenty of opportunities in the second half where we missed the final ball and final pass. I give credit to my team, even at 1-0 we didn’t drop off and we kept playing very high up and put them under pressure. That was a very positive attitude.”

On the special atmosphere at Parkhead…

“I felt, from my impression, that the atmosphere was outstanding. It’s even better than in the Premier League. People were fair and Celtic, for me, were well organised and I couldn’t see them ever give up, even at 2-0. It was always difficult for us to get the game going. Sometimes they made the foul they needed to make but overall I was impressed by their attitude.”

On Celtic’s highly-rated Aiden McGeady…

“He had a very good game. They surprised us a little bit at the start with Samaras and McGeady both through the middle. They played a lot of long balls but I believe we managed to deal well with that. what was very good on Celtic’s side was their defence played very well. He can certainly [play at the top clubs in England] yes. I believe it’s important to keep your good players here. Why do you always want them to go down to the south?”

On becoming the first English side to win at Celtic in almost 26 years…
“I believe we have a fantastic attitude, a great togetherness and we put relentless pressure on Celtic. We never let them establish a flow and we always disturbed their game very well.”

On Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League…
“Well that’s not down to me to decide that. I believe Celtic and Rangers have to keep the Scottish League alive. That’s why they have to stay here.”

On the physical nature of the contest…

“I think there were some bad fouls. The referee took some time to intervene but afterwards he did it. We got sometimes some harsh treatment today.

“I’m very happy with the commitment of my team despite the physical approach of some Celtic players. I can understand that from Celtic’s point of view but what is more interesting for me is how we respond to that. I believe we did that well.”

On being surprised by how quickly Thomas Vermaelen has settled in…

“Yes I am surprised. He had a very long preparation and we saw he had the physical strength and the mentality to cope with it. When it’s needed he comes in. I believe he has a good mixture of physical, technical and it’s interesting to have a left-footed player because it gives you angles for the pass that are very important to the midfielders.”

On the performances of William Gallas and Alex Song
“William was Fantastic. I believe again today he played very well. He is certainly in the best form of the last two years for me.

“In the last two games Song has played extremely well. He can win the fight, not only with physical strength but he has that sense to nick the ball from his opponent without giving away the foul. That’s a very interesting quality.”

#74 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

Injury Updates
"Eduardo had a tight groin in the warm-up and he felt he could not play," said the Frenchman. "He had no power and we had to change [the teamsheet] quickly.

Wenger reported no new injuries from that bruising encounter in Glasgow but, on the flip side, none of Arsenal's injured quintet are fit to return. The manager was hoping to call on Theo Walcott for the first home game of the season but his back problem has still not healed.

"I don't believe we have anyone injured from Tuesday night's game at Celtic," said Wenger. "Eduardo I believe will be back in contention but Theo Walcott will not be back at all. Rosicky, Djourou, Nasri, Fabianski - they will all be out.

"There is a slight concern [over Walcott's back injury] but we believe it is a question of days and not of weeks.

"We will see [if he is fit to face Manchester United next Saturday]. It is always difficult to set a date. I thought he would be available for Celtic, I thought he would be available for Everton, but he wasn't. That's why we will be cautious."

#75 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16789 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Well, Bendtner has been pretty damn good in the last two games, and we need his height on the squad against Portsmouth anyhow... but it sure would be nice to have Walcott at least available to sub.

#76 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (mikeford @ Aug 21 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Bendtner has been pretty damn good in the last two games, and we need his height on the squad against Portsmouth anyhow... but it sure would be nice to have Walcott at least available to sub.

Bendtner has been great thus far. What a difference a year makes, huh? He was much maligned last year for his lack of finishing touch. This year he's played very nice on the wing and been a good target man for goal kicks. I still would like to see him playing in the middle of the forward threesome though given he is more of a target man that RvP.

Anyway, this is probably my last post before I head off to London, may be my last post in a week and a half. Hopefully, we will have qualified for the group stage and accumulated 9 points in the league by beating those wank Mancers up at Old Trafford.

Too early for a Big Four
"It is unusual [that they both lost] but they have played two difficult opponents – Tottenham for Liverpool and Burnley for Manchester United," said the Frenchman.

"Burnley came up from the Championship and of course created some upsets last year.

"It [early defeats] can happen, but, we are in a marathon here and it just started."

Catch up = Stupid
"We are unfortunately already behind [on fixtures]," he said at Friday's pre-match press conference. "I do not believe that is right. "In the second game of the season, you already have half of the league has not played.

"If you already know they have to catch back, why do you not play the all of the championship games on the same day? Everybody together.

"Otherwise you may have advantages or disadvantages for some clubs."

Fan are in tune with Song (GET IT!)
"I was always confident Song would pop up in this [central midfield] position, or at centre-back," the manager said.

"I brought him here aged 17 and worked very hard with him, we worked hard because I felt he had the talent to become a good player.

"I know that the opinions are changing about him now.

"He had to swim a little bit against the stream, and he did that very well."

No Fabregas Deal
"I believe that apart from giving some articles to the newspapers all the rest is rubbish," said Wenger after the latest Fabregas rumour was put to him.

"It doesn't help football, it doesn't help people to focus on their job and it is sometimes destabilising.

"The way Spanish clubs are run is more political than sport-orientated. How much does that harm other clubs? It is difficult to measure. But it doesn't help other clubs when somebody who has, for example, no chance to be elected next year as president, can announce any name. What can you do against him? Nothing.

"Does that help other clubs? Certainly not. The only thing I can say that the day I will agree to sell a player one year in advance, I will not be in this job any more."

No Hanglanding
"No we are not on this [Hangeland] case," the manager said.

Just win please.

#77 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16789 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

I think William Gallas spent his summer sacrificing virgins to the football gods. What luck this guy has had this season. I love it. I will now knock on wood.

#78 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:27 PM

I was able to watch the replay/highlights of the match on Sky before going to bed because they don't show 3PM matches (WTF ENGLAND?). You know what I'm going to say; it was really good to see Eduardo back in action. I rate Fabregas and Arshavin as two of the players that really make Arsenal tick, but when Eduardo is healthy, he is right up there with them. I'm happy with the performance and everything, being at the top of the table.

However, I'm worried about Fabregas. Arsenal has two HUGE fixtures this week against Celtic and Manchester United. If Fabregas is out for both, I am genuinely concerned about this team. While Denilson, Song, Diaby, and Ramsey can get the job done, I believe Fabregas makes the difference for the club, especially this season as he is playing with so much conviction. I would expect a victory at Old Trafford with him, but hope for a draw without him. I hope that its just tightness and that Wenger holds Fabregas out as a substitute for the Celtic match, so that he can play against Man U.

Anyway, good performance, being back at the top with the best goal differential...just some concerns headed into an important week of football.

#79 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

Crap, I should have told you about that. Did you at least catch Match of the Day? If you see this early Sunday morning, it's shown on BBC1 at 7.40.

3 pm matches are not shown in the UK by law, because all games not selected to be shown on UK TV kick off at 3 pm and the point of the law is to encourage people to go support their local club. It's actually a pretty good law and relatively easily circumvented by many pubs via showing satellite from Germany/Greece/wherever, but clearly I should have given you a heads up about that. My bad.

Did you go out and get a programme and check out the sellers on Gillespie Road?

#80 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Aug 23 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crap, I should have told you about that. Did you at least catch Match of the Day? If you see this early Sunday morning, it's shown on BBC1 at 7.40.

3 pm matches are not shown in the UK by law, because all games not selected to be shown on UK TV kick off at 3 pm and the point of the law is to encourage people to go support their local club. It's actually a pretty good law and relatively easily circumvented by many pubs via showing satellite from Germany/Greece/wherever, but clearly I should have given you a heads up about that. My bad.

Did you go out and get a programme and check out the sellers on Gillespie Road?

I'm watching the game on Sky for the third time right now.

I did not know about the sellers on Gillespie. How much do they sell tickets for usually?

I didn't make it to North London. We're going to try and get tickets off of craigslist. Whether we get tickets or not, I'm going to have to get up there for a tour/pro shop. If not, we might go to a Carling Cup game between Crystal Palace and City on Thursday. I know it's not going to be as intense (in terms of football), but it's a game. The other options are Chelsea-Burnley or Tottenham-Birmingham. I don't really want to go to Tottenham and if the tickets are going to be that expensive anyway, I might as well try and get tickets to the Arsenal game. Hopefully, this guy hasn't sold his tickets yet.

Edit: on the verge of securing tickets. This is going to make my life.

Edited by sachmoney, 23 August 2009 - 11:50 AM.

#81 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 23 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm watching the game on Sky for the third time right now.

I did not know about the sellers on Gillespie. How much do they sell tickets for usually?

I didn't make it to North London. We're going to try and get tickets off of craigslist. Whether we get tickets or not, I'm going to have to get up there for a tour/pro shop. If not, we might go to a Carling Cup game between Crystal Palace and City on Thursday. I know it's not going to be as intense (in terms of football), but it's a game. The other options are Chelsea-Burnley or Tottenham-Birmingham. I don't really want to go to Tottenham and if the tickets are going to be that expensive anyway, I might as well try and get tickets to the Arsenal game. Hopefully, this guy hasn't sold his tickets yet.

Edit: on the verge of securing tickets. This is going to make my life.

How are you getting tickets? Craigslist is not very popular in London and is big on scams. Hopefully you are getting them from a reputable seller and with recourse and whatnot.

Gillespie Road do not have ticket touts, just people who sell all sorts of Arsenalia. It's like an Arsenal farmers market. People sell old scarves, badges, t-shirts, fanzines (Get the Gooner for info and Up the Arse for comedy value), old programmes (there's a guy named Andrew who sells up near Avenell Road - where Highbury is - who has hundreds of great old programmes) and so on.

on Saturday, get there early, have a drink or two in the tavern, get a red and white bar scarf, walk down to the Emirates, and sing for 90 minutes. Anything less and you're missing out!

#82 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Aug 24 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are you getting tickets? Craigslist is not very popular in London and is big on scams. Hopefully you are getting them from a reputable seller and with recourse and whatnot.

Gillespie Road do not have ticket touts, just people who sell all sorts of Arsenalia. It's like an Arsenal farmers market. People sell old scarves, badges, t-shirts, fanzines (Get the Gooner for info and Up the Arse for comedy value), old programmes (there's a guy named Andrew who sells up near Avenell Road - where Highbury is - who has hundreds of great old programmes) and so on.

on Saturday, get there early, have a drink or two in the tavern, get a red and white bar scarf, walk down to the Emirates, and sing for 90 minutes. Anything less and you're missing out!

The guy gave us his membership cards, so I think we're alright. We'll see, I'm supposed to meet him again on Friday to give them back and he gave us like an itinerary and stuff, where to go and all, so he seems legitimate. You are making me nervous now.

Gillespie Road sounds awesome, and I definitely need some Arsenalia for my room at school.

Saturday is an away game, is there a way to watch it outside/inside the Emirates? Or do people just go and sing? Since it's the late game, I know it's on the TV.

In terms of news, there is nothing on Fabregas yet. Hopefully we get an update on how he is doing. I believe Rosicky was back in training yesterday, but I don't have confirmation of that. The article I read said he *could* feature tomorrow. I highly doubt it though.

On the loan front, Jay Emmanuel Thomas scores a goal for Blackpool. I'm high on JET because of his height and calmness on the pitch. I think he can be a very nice attacking asset, sort of in the hybrid supporting striker, lead striker, central midfielder mode. One of his knocks is that he doesn't work hard enough, and I wonder how he has developed this reputation. From the limited action I've seen of him, he's been very good on the attacking front. Watford has been given permission to play Lansbury in the League Cup tonight, but I wonder how Lansbury works into Arsene's plans considering he is only going on a half season loan. I think Lansbury's physicality can be impactful in the Arsenal midfield, and I would've loved to see him show that in the League Cup. However, he's getting first team football, which is also important. Havard Nordtveit made his debut for Nurnberg playing 45 minutes in a 0-2 loss to Hanover.

#83 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Fabregas to miss Wednesday Night:
"From last Saturday we lost Cesc Fabregas who did not train today" the manager said. "His scan was quite reassuring as he has no muscular strain but it will take a few days to settle down.

"There's a chance he'll be fit for Old Trafford."
I am only marginally upset that I will miss Cesc. I just want the club to win though, especially at OT on Saturday.

It give Rambo a chance to start, which is fine by me. I expect a strong performance from the Welschmen after a good cameo on Saturday. I hope Fabregas is able to go on Saturday though.

#84 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 25 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guy gave us his membership cards, so I think we're alright. We'll see, I'm supposed to meet him again on Friday to give them back and he gave us like an itinerary and stuff, where to go and all, so he seems legitimate. You are making me nervous now.

Gillespie Road sounds awesome, and I definitely need some Arsenalia for my room at school.

Saturday is an away game, is there a way to watch it outside/inside the Emirates? Or do people just go and sing? Since it's the late game, I know it's on the TV.

In terms of news, there is nothing on Fabregas yet. Hopefully we get an update on how he is doing. I believe Rosicky was back in training yesterday, but I don't have confirmation of that. The article I read said he *could* feature tomorrow. I highly doubt it though.

On the loan front, Jay Emmanuel Thomas scores a goal for Blackpool. I'm high on JET because of his height and calmness on the pitch. I think he can be a very nice attacking asset, sort of in the hybrid supporting striker, lead striker, central midfielder mode. One of his knocks is that he doesn't work hard enough, and I wonder how he has developed this reputation. From the limited action I've seen of him, he's been very good on the attacking front. Watford has been given permission to play Lansbury in the League Cup tonight, but I wonder how Lansbury works into Arsene's plans considering he is only going on a half season loan. I think Lansbury's physicality can be impactful in the Arsenal midfield, and I would've loved to see him show that in the League Cup. However, he's getting first team football, which is also important. Havard Nordtveit made his debut for Nurnberg playing 45 minutes in a 0-2 loss to Hanover.

If you have someone's membership cards you should be OK. Paper tickets are usually the preferred way to scam; Arsenal don't issue many paper tickets which catches some people out.

Tomorrow should be fun. Arsenal and Celtic have traditionally had a good relationship and the atmosphere should be pretty good by Arsenal standards. I'm a bit jealous.

For Saturday the club used to have screenings in one of the banquet rooms inside the stadium, but I don't believe many people ever went. The best thing to do would be to go to one of the pubs on Blackstock Road and have a beer with fellow Gooners.

Have you been to Highbury yet? The last time I went they had just taken off the scaffolding from the East Stand and repainted it; it was breathtaking!

#85 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Aug 25 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have someone's membership cards you should be OK. Paper tickets are usually the preferred way to scam; Arsenal don't issue many paper tickets which catches some people out.

Tomorrow should be fun. Arsenal and Celtic have traditionally had a good relationship and the atmosphere should be pretty good by Arsenal standards. I'm a bit jealous.

For Saturday the club used to have screenings in one of the banquet rooms inside the stadium, but I don't believe many people ever went. The best thing to do would be to go to one of the pubs on Blackstock Road and have a beer with fellow Gooners.

Have you been to Highbury yet? The last time I went they had just taken off the scaffolding from the East Stand and repainted it; it was breathtaking!

Yeah, I'm going to try and get out to the pubs for the Man U game. I have not really left central London (seeing as this is my first time in London, I've been doing a lot of sightseeing with the family). I really want to see it though as the apartments that they are building look really sweet as well.

I got an email from the guy we got tickets from saying that we should stay seated because the security guards told his last customers (I'm pretty sure he sells his tickets to most of the games) should sit down. Though I wasn't planning on behaving out of line, I already understand why the atmosphere at the Emirates is continuously knocked by Arsenal supporters and blogs. There's a fine line between hooliganism and support, and I think rules like this would take away from this. Additionally, I believe Arsenal just banned the "road beer" on the way to the stadium from the pubs. With the West Ham riots taking place yesterday, I understand that boisterous fans are still an issue. However, the Emirates should be one of the best environments in the Premiership, and it's not. Regardless, I'm as excited as I'm ever going to be and hope to get there early to get some pictures, particularly of the "Arsenalisation" of the stadium, though that has already been deemed a fail.

Regarding the game, Cesc is obviously out. Rosicky is targeting a comeback for the weekend, though I hope Arsene doesn't rush him. Eduardo appears set for the start, replacing Van Persie. It looks like Wenger is going to be managing with one eye on getting the result and the other on making sure Arsenal is ready for Man U on Saturday. I expect some early substitutions if Arsenal can seal the victory early with someone like Arshavin most likely to only play the beginning of the game. I expect a line up like this:

-------------Almunia-------------
Sagna-Gallas-Vermaelen-Clichy
------Diaby-Song-Denilson------
--Bendtner-Eduardo-Arshavin---

It wouldn't surprise me if Ramsey was in there, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Fran Merida or Jack Wilshere (if he's included) come on off the bench.

This match means £20-30 million for the club. They need to finish the job they started last Tuesday night.

Edited by sachmoney, 26 August 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#86 Phil Plantier

• 1922 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Arsenal sure used up a lot of luck over these 2 legs. A random deflection, own goal and an early candidate for Most Dubious Penalty of the Year.

Edit: Not that I think Celtic could score given 900 minutes.

Edited by Phil Plantier, 26 August 2009 - 02:35 PM.

#87 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Phil Plantier @ Aug 26 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arsenal sure used up a lot of luck over these 2 legs. A random deflection, own goal and an early candidate for Most Dubious Penalty of the Year.

Edit: Not that I think Celtic could score given 900 minutes.

That happened right in front of me, but I didn't get to see a replay. I heard it was a bad penalty call and Sky is ripping Eduardo for it. Well, the refs should've gotten the call right then...it's their job. As far as luck, it's all deserved as far as I'm concerned, especially after these last couple years. smile.gif

Before I get started on the experience, I want to say that the Celtic supporters were incredible. Down 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, they still were singing all through the game. I was amazed. Also, that goal that Celtic scored was brilliant. Just a perfect strike.

Pretty much went right into the Emirates without stopping on Gillespie. We're kind of low on cash anyway. We were near the back of the upper tier behind the goal Arsenal attacked in the first half. However, I think I can safely say that there is no such thing as a bad seat at the Emirates. The Stadium is absolutely beautiful, and I felt like there was a certain electricity in the air. I started losing my voice midway through the first half and had to cutback on the singing (or the attempts). Being a yank singing with brits is not very easy. Anyway, I have some photos that I might put up at a later date. I just wanted to say that it was everything I dreamed of and more.

The game itself, I was happy with the result. I was really excited that Eduardo scored and seeing a rare Eboue goal was a bonus as well. Watching the defense in the second half closely, I can safely say that I'm happy with our central backs. Not only do I think they work well together, but I think Gallas and Vermaelen are excellent leaders from the back. Then you have Song tucked in front of them who was absolutely clinical tonight. Celtic was very physical and he didn't let that affect him one bit. I thought he was the man of the match. Denilson was very strong too, he really has the fish hook turn down (Cesc is a master of this). I thought the rest of the side was solid, but those are the players who stood out for me.

I didn't like that Arshavin came in. Of course, he scored like a minute after he came in, but my main concern was that Arsenal have a full squad for Manchester United. With Fabregas not at full strength for the weekend, the importance of Arshavin and Eduardo increases tenfold. We need them healthy for the weekend, and I didn't think it was necessary for him to be put out there. At the same time, I expected him to start, so I guess it wasn't that big a deal.

Incredible experience, I can't wait to come back to London and do it again.

#88 mic99

• 413 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I went with a friend who supports Arsenal last year and had a great time. Others have probably given you advice but try and get to the Gunners pub at some point.

#89 tulse_luper

• 330 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 26 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That happened right in front of me, but I didn't get to see a replay. I heard it was a bad penalty call and Sky is ripping Eduardo for it. Well, the refs should've gotten the call right then...it's their job.

He dived. That's why refs don't get decisions right. Cos players routinely deceive them.

WENGER BLAMES EDUARDO 'DIVE' ON INJURY

"I believe it was not a penalty but I'm not sure if the keeper touched him. Eduardo might be a bit cautious because of the injury that he had. He might have jumped out of the way."

rolleyes.gif

#90 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (mic99 @ Aug 26 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you enjoyed it. I went with a friend who supports Arsenal last year and had a great time. Others have probably given you advice but try and get to the Gunners pub at some point.

May be Saturday for the Man U game. I forget what I'm supposed to be doing that day, but I definitely want to get out to watch the game.

QUOTE (tulse_luper @ Aug 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He dived. That's why refs don't get decisions right. Cos players routinely deceive them.

It's the ref's responsibility to make the right call. Players are gonna do what players are gonna do, but these refs are supposed to be the best in the world. I'm not condoning what Eduardo did. Players do dive from time to time, and it's the responsibility of the refs to make the right calls.

I don't think it really changed the complexity of the game as Celtic really never pressed the game like they should have been doing. As I said before, it looked more like they were ready to play rugby than football.

The dive hasn't really changed my opinion of Eduardo as a player, he's still absolutely clinical. I'm pretty sure he's still the second or third most popular player on the squad to boot.

Here is some of the backlash.

Edited by sachmoney, 27 August 2009 - 01:50 AM.

#91 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16789 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

Champions League Groupings are out.

Heres Arsenal's:

Group H: Arsenal, AZ Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard Liege

#92 OilCanCoulter

• 666 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Congrats on reaching the knock-out stages.

#93 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (OilCanCoulter @ Aug 27 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on reaching the knock-out stages.

The one draw back with this draw is that if we make the Semifinal again this year, we're going to get absolutely no credit. I will admit we had no business making the semifinal last season considering the squad we fielded against United as well as barely beating Villareal and Roma. However, this season, I feel Arsenal is one of six clubs total that I give a legitimate shot at winning the big trophy (The others are Chelsea, Barcelona, Franco Madrid, Atlético, and Inter), barring any big transfer acquisitions or departures.

Anyway, onto important business

Cesc is 50-50
However, according to Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal captain is improving and will have a fitness test on Friday to determine his inclusion for the squad at Old Trafford.

“He had a training session today that was quite positive,” the manager told Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon. “He will have a definite test tomorrow where we will decide if we include him in the squad or not. Today I would say it is a real 50:50. Yesterday it I would say it was 60:40 against but he looked positive today.”
Rosicky will not be risked against Man U.

Simpson on loan to QPR:
Jay Simpson has today joined Queens Park Rangers on a season-long loan.

The striker, 20, is moving to Loftus Road to gain valuable experience with the Championship side.

It is the third such spell for Simpson, who has risen through the ranks with Arsenal. He spent the 2007/08 campaign at Millwall and performed so well he won the League One ‘Player of the Year’ award. He returned to Emirates Stadium at the start of last term but an impressive brace against Wigan in the Carling Cup attracted the attention of West Brom.
One less player for our Carling Cup squad.

#94 tulse_luper

• 330 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

I think shifting responsibility from the player to the ref is dumb, but this is a bit strange:

UEFA charge for Eduardo

Eduardo has been charged with "deceiving the referee" in Arsenal's clash with Celtic on Wednesday.

So they're going to go after everyone that dives in the Champions League and Europa League this season then? I look forward to seeing that...

#95 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7667 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'm not one to conspire at all, but I think one of the big reasons that the British media has blown this story out of proportion is the fact that England will be facing Croatia in their next World Cup qualifier. Who is going to be doing the damage for Croatia? Mr. da Silva himself. By blackening his image, they are going to put him under a microscope for the qualifier. Unfortunately, Eduardo is such a classy player that I expect him to tear England apart.

In terms of passing the blame onto the referee, I already said it was a dive. I don't think a player should be diving. However, the referee makes the call, not the player. That is all. I honestly don't think it made a difference in the match because Arsenal were in complete control. They were going to score sooner or later, Celtic were moving back more than they were moving forward.

Anyway, Cesc is out for tomorrow's match against Man U. I'm feeling better about our chances than I was yesterday. Arshavin, Eduardo, and Van Persie should be our attacking force, and I think they will give Man U all they can handle. Denilson, Diaby, and Song should be commandeering the midfield, but hopefully we have some added fire power on the bench (Wilshere?).

I think I'm going to try and hit up North London and a pub for the match. Obviously, I'll be wearing my Eduardo kit in support/protest.

#96 ethangl

• 2156 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 28 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not one to conspire at all, but I think one of the big reasons that the British media has blown this story out of proportion is the fact that England will be facing Croatia in their next World Cup qualifier. Who is going to be doing the damage for Croatia? Mr. da Silva himself. By blackening his image, they are going to put him under a microscope for the qualifier. Unfortunately, Eduardo is such a classy player that I expect him to tear England apart.

I don't think so -- England has already trounced Croatia in Zagreb and has all but qualified for the WC.

#97 bsartist618

• 661 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

In terms of passing the blame onto the referee, I already said it was a dive. I don't think a player should be diving. However, the referee makes the call, not the player. That is all.

Honest question because I don't really know the answer, but do they usually go after players for "deceiving" the refs even if the ref isn't fooled?

It wouldn't seem very fair to the player that he gets singled out because he got away with it (during the match anyway). I hope this is enforced consistently across the board to all "divers" whether they are caught or not.

#98 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2167 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (bsartist618 @ Aug 28 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honest question because I don't really know the answer, but do they usually go after players for "deceiving" the refs even if the ref isn't fooled?

It wouldn't seem very fair to the player that he gets singled out because he got away with it (during the match anyway). I hope this is enforced consistently across the board to all "divers" whether they are caught or not.

Post match discipline would be the way to go for me, but only if it is enforced across the board.

#99 tulse_luper

• 330 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (sachmoney @ Aug 28 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In terms of passing the blame onto the referee, I already said it was a dive. I don't think a player should be diving. However, the referee makes the call, not the player. That is all. I honestly don't think it made a difference in the match because Arsenal were in complete control. They were going to score sooner or later, Celtic were moving back more than they were moving forward.

Sure. I'm not trying to be a dick or overly precious about it. Happens all the time and rarely causes this kind of stink, obviously. I agree Celtic were gonna get a hiding anyway too. But the ref gave the penalty because Eduardo conned him. That it was an incorrect decision is secondary to the fact that he dived in the first place. And "well me and his team mates still like him" is really neither here nor there.

As for the conspiracy theory, it was Gordon Smith that started all the bother about retrospective punishment. I kind of doubt he is all that interested in seeing England profit from the situation.

I think UEFA doing something about it is great if they're going to do likewise for everyone else, but they wont, so we can all look forward to much gnashing of teeth about that.

#100 ElUno20

• 1421 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

"It's boys against men"

That's the ringing memory I have from last season as we got our asses handed to us and booted from the CL. I hope we play to our abilities tomorrow.