Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2009 Non-Celtics Offseason Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
523 replies to this topic

#51 casablanca33

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Jun 30 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the whole Utah fanbase goes, "Goshdarnit to heck."

If someone makes an offer for Millsap, he's gone; the Jazz can't afford both. And then they'll probably lose Boozer next summer, too.

You said it. I would rather have Millsap for the foreseeable future.

#52 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,218 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Interesting decision by Boozer. I think maybe he's counting on one of these teams thats trying to clear cap space for the Summer of Lebron using it on him as a fall back to losing out on Chris Bosh.

#53 jschip1

• 400 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Jun 30 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the whole Utah fanbase goes, "Goshdarnit to heck."

If someone makes an offer for Millsap, he's gone; the Jazz can't afford both. And then they'll probably lose Boozer next summer, too.

It sounds like the Jazz are willing to pay the luxury tax for one year by re-signing Millsap than to let him go and have neither him nor Boozer next year. This is absolutely the worst-case scenario for the Jazz, though. Everyone wanted Boozer gone. The over/under on games played next year by Boozer has got to be around 50.

#54 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

Boozer is banking on a good season next year to get a better contract. Plus, hoping for a better economy next summer.

Has anyone opted out of their contracts? Eddie House is staying because teams are trying to cut payrolls.

#55 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

http://sports.espn.g...ce=NBAHeadlines

Varejao opts out. Is there any way he makes more than the $6.2 he was due? I don't see it.

#56 Pollard's Spartan Beard

• 441 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Okur opts in.

Between Boozer, Okur and Korver opting to stick around, I think Utah can kiss Millsap goodbye.

Edited by Pollard's Spartan Beard, 30 June 2009 - 06:46 PM.

#57 Murby

• 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Lazy vs Crazy @ Jun 30 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://sports.espn.g...ce=NBAHeadlines

Varejao opts out. Is there any way he makes more than the $6.2 he was due? I don't see it.

Interesting move by him, and by interesting I mean stupefying. This guy continues to overvalue himself, holding out a few years ago wanting more cash, and now this. He clearly doesn't want to win anything, potentially leaving one of the favorites in the east.

No one has a ton of cash to spend beyond what? Detroit? My goodness.

I also think Laimbeer is destined to be the coach in Detroit. I was wondering why he left his post in the WNBA, as he left after all coaching positions had been filled until today. Have to think the Dumars -Laimbeer connection means he's a lock.

#58 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Murby @ Jun 30 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting move by him, and by interesting I mean stupefying. This guy continues to overvalue himself, holding out a few years ago wanting more cash, and now this. He clearly doesn't want to win anything, potentially leaving one of the favorites in the east.

No one has a ton of cash to spend beyond what? Detroit? My goodness.

I also think Laimbeer is destined to be the coach in Detroit. I was wondering why he left his post in the WNBA, as he left after all coaching positions had been filled until today. Have to think the Dumars -Laimbeer connection means he's a lock.

Verajo to Pistons would be a good move for them to replace Rasheed. Verajo and Gordon to Pistons? Either Prince or Stuckey would be available after those moves.

#59 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

http://www.usatoday....-sentence_N.htm

JR Smith gets 30 days in jail for causing a car accident that killed a guy.

#60 ElUno20

• 1,464 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Lazy vs Crazy @ Jun 30 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.usatoday....-sentence_N.htm

JR Smith gets 30 days in jail for causing a car accident that killed a guy.

That guy was actually his friend who was in the car with him. Ugly story all around.

#61 Murby

• 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

Lee likely leaving the Knicks. His agent apparently will have him sign a big money offer sheet w/ the Grizz or Thunder. Have fun continuing to lose David.

#62 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Well, it isn't like staying in New York was going to help out in that department, either.

#63 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Rocket's GM Daryl Morey's tweet from a few minutes ago:
Meeting in a few w/ Gortat.Send a note to him NOW at [email protected] .He will receive.Show him how much we want him in Red!

Pretty amazing.

#64 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

It'd be even better if everyone just kept asking, "Can you give one of your feet to Yao?"

#65 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

Artest wants to join the Lakers, Cavs, or Magic. Jason Kidd already turned down an offer for more than the full MLE. And Sheed wants to wait and see if he gets offered more than the full MLE.

In a related story, I see this offseason ending in disaster for the C's.

#66 nighthob

• 2,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Captaincoop @ Jul 1 2009, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll wager that Kidd's probably looking for a title shot, given his age, and I wouldn't worry about Laker fans speculating that Artest will go there. I'd be more worried about Cleveland. As a re-signed Artest & Brian Cook would allow the Rockets to trade for Ilgauskas (and plug their biggest hole, albeit not nearly so well).

#67 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (nighthob @ Jul 1 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll wager that Kidd's probably looking for a title shot, given his age, and I wouldn't worry about Laker fans speculating that Artest will go there. I'd be more worried about Cleveland. As a re-signed Artest & Brian Cook would allow the Rockets to trade for Ilgauskas (and plug their biggest hole, albeit not nearly so well).

I'm not sure why Houston would do that. If they traded away Artest to get Big Z, they would have a huge hole at the wing and would have a very lame imitation of Yao in the middle. The move would be simply to pick up Z's expiring contract to help their rebuilding effort - but they could do the same thing by just letting Artest walk, and they would have a better 2010 draft pick in the latter case.

#68 nighthob

• 2,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Captaincoop @ Jul 1 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure why Houston would do that. If they traded away Artest to get Big Z, they would have a huge hole at the wing and would have a very lame imitation of Yao in the middle. The move would be simply to pick up Z's expiring contract to help their rebuilding effort - but they could do the same thing by just letting Artest walk, and they would have a better 2010 draft pick in the latter case.

They have a hole on the wing anyway. We're not discussing Artest v2007 anymore. He would have been great as a roleplayer behind a healthy T-Mac (I know, oxymoron), but T-Mac's down and Artest is a terrible first option. His shooting and scoring efficiency declined last year with his elevation to second option (by default). He looked even worse after Yao went down and he became the first option. Beyond that is the fact that he turned down 4/36. At this point I'll be much happier if Atlanta non-tenders Childress and we go that way. He's a better defender than Artest at this point. True, Aaron Brooks would suddenly become the first option, but that was bound to happen already with Ronnie Postal being another year older and T-Mac & Yao in street clothes. Ilgauskas, at a minimum, gives them a semi-reliable second option.

Unfortunately for we Rocket fans, Darryl Morey is in full "Scalabrine Effect!!!" mode and what we'll end up with is Gortat for the MLE, and still end up winning 30 games. And he'll be genuinely puzzled as to why his magic formulae were wrong in projecting out.

#69 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm really, really not buying that theory.

Anyway:

Several league executives say that the Memphis Grizzlies are preparing a $40-50 million offer for New York Knicks restricted free agent David Lee(notes) . “There’s a great deal of interest in him, and a lot of teams are trying to be very creative,” his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Wednesday morning.

How about a slow clap for Chris Wallace, ladies and gentlemen.

#70 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Captaincoop @ Jul 1 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really, really not buying that theory.

Anyway:

Thabeet and David Lee on the Grizzly front line? Looks good to me.

Thabeet, Lee, Conley, Gay and QRich?

#71 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,767 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (the1andonly3003 @ Jul 1 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thabeet and David Lee on the Grizzly front line? Looks good to me.

Thabeet, Lee, Conley, Gay and QRich?

Did OJ Mayo and Marc Gasol fall into a black hole?

#72 Pollard's Spartan Beard

• 441 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Captaincoop @ Jul 1 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Grizz Owner Nixes Lee Offer?" per RealGM.
Grizzlies' owner Michael Heisley has apparently not given GM Chris Wallace approval to make a lucrative offer to David Lee.

Lee is a restricted free-agent but the Knicks may not match a contract at or near $10 million per season.

*Clap*

Edited by Pollard's Spartan Beard, 01 July 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#73 nighthob

• 2,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

It's good to see that the owner has more sense than the Pilsbury Draftboy.

#74 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Paul Gaston says, "You can do that?"

#75 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

The Detroit Pistons have reached agreement with free-agent guard Ben Gordon(notes) on a five-year contract worth around $55 million, a source with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday evening.

The Pistons are continuing to negotiate with forward Charlie Villanueva(notes).
http://sports.yahoo....g...o&type=lgns
The Detroit Pistons made the biggest early splash in free agency on Wednesday, agreeing to terms with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

Former Bulls guard Gordon will receive a five-year, $55 million deal, while former Bucks forward Villanueva gets a five-year deal for $35 million, sources told ESPN.com's Chris Broussard.
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4301111

Edited by SoxScout, 01 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#76 DannyDarwinism

• 1,987 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

And Charlie V. will be joining Gordon in Motown. 5 years, 35 million.

http://www.realgm.co...s_with_detroit/

#77 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,509 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

The Detroit Pistons have reached agreement with free-agent guard Ben Gordon(notes) on a five-year contract worth around $55 million, a source with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday evening.

Not surprising as Gordon has proven himself as a legit scoring 2-guard in this league and that is the pricetag for young starting wings. This has to fuel the Boston rumor even more now with Hamilton clearly not returning.

#78 BS_SoxFan

• 1,968 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (HomeRunBaker @ Jul 1 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not surprising as Gordon has proven himself as a legit scoring 2-guard in this league and that is the pricetag for young starting wings. This has to fuel the Boston rumor even more now with Hamilton clearly not returning.

I'm assuming you mean Wallace? Hamilton has 4 years and $49.6 million left on his contract.

#79 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (BS_SoxFan @ Jul 1 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm assuming you mean Wallace? Hamilton has 4 years and $49.6 million left on his contract.

It's either Prince or Hamilton getting moved. Unless Dumars wants Gordon to play the point.

#80 BS_SoxFan

• 1,968 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (the1andonly3003 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's either Prince or Hamilton getting moved. Unless Dumars wants Gordon to play the point.

Or come off the bench as the sixth man, which is really his ideal role, but I can't imagine they'd sign an $11 million per year sixth man. I just don't think, especially in this economy, that Hamilton is "clearly" not coming back.

#81 Reardons Beard

• 1,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (BS_SoxFan @ Jul 1 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or come off the bench as the sixth man, which is really his ideal role, but I can't imagine they'd sign an $11 million per year sixth man. I just don't think, especially in this economy, that Hamilton is "clearly" not coming back.

This is a massive crash of UCONN shooting guards. One rumor was Ray Allen to Detroit for a Hamilton/Prince type deal. Now with Gordon there, I would have to think it complicates a deal like that. Now you would have to involve a third team, which means this deal is much less likely to occur.

Unless you can somehow match salaries with a Rondo moving.

I am convinced Ray isn't going anywhere. The most likely player to be traded is Rondo, and I don't think it happens.

#82 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Goddamn...where is Detroit pulling all this $ from? I thought that city was fucking depressed!

#83 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,588 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (bsj @ Jul 1 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goddamn...where is Detroit pulling all this $ from? I thought that city was fucking depressed!

They have tons of cap space.

#84 swingin val

• 1,004 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (jsinger121 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have tons of cap space.

Yes. But that wasn't the question.

#85 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,339 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (bsj @ Jul 1 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably because they lead the league in attendance at over 21k a night.

http://sports.espn.g.../nba/attendance

#86 ElUno20

• 1,464 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

We get out from Zbo's contract and clear PT for Blake. I'm happy.

#87 CrackpotTheory

• Pip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4301324

Clippers send Zach Randolph to Memphis for Quentin Richardson.

#88 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (CrackpotTheory @ Jul 1 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4301324

Clippers send Zach Randolph to Memphis for Quentin Richardson.

Wow, Clippers were able to make a good move, although Kaman would have been the better log to move. Good piece for the Grizzlies, while the Clippers...are still the Clippers. More playing time for Blake Griffin.

#89 Scoops Bolling

• 2,909 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (the1andonly3003 @ Jul 1 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Clippers were able to make a good move, although Kaman would have been the better log to move. Good piece for the Grizzlies, while the Clippers...are still the Clippers. More playing time for Blake Griffin.

Great move for the Clippers. That's huge in clearing up their front court logjam, and it moves the guy with the worst contract (and arguably the worst possible influence on Griffin too). Fire Dunleavy, get a reach coach, and you're looking at a really solid team with a lot of talent.

Not sure I get it from the Grizzlies perspective though. Randolph's contract is terrible, and the team is trying to shed money.

#90 ishmael

• 411 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Scoops Bolling @ Jul 1 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure I get it from the Grizzlies perspective though. Randolph's contract is terrible, and the team is trying to shed money.

Wow. $17 million of cap space wasted on ZBO in 2010???

*Clap*

#91 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,767 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Scoops Bolling @ Jul 1 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great move for the Clippers. That's huge in clearing up their front court logjam, and it moves the guy with the worst contract (and arguably the worst possible influence on Griffin too). Fire Dunleavy, get a reach coach, and you're looking at a really solid team with a lot of talent.

Yeah kind of a head scratcher, although they can put up with him for one season after which he'll be a really valuable expiring contract. Whether or not Wallace can put it to good use will be fun to watch.

edit: You have to remember Memphis is absurdly young and doesn't have any big contracts. Randolph will be the only player they are paying over $7.1 million next season. That player happens to be Jaric who also will have one year left on his deal after this season. That's a lot of money off the books at once.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 01 July 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#92 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

So the Grizzlies owner intervenes in the David Lee negotiations and stops Wallace from handing over $50 million, only to then watch him trade for Zach Randolph later on in the day.

Love it.

Edited by SemperFidelisSox, 01 July 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#93 the1andonly3003

• 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Jul 1 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the Grizzlies owner intervenes in the David Lee negotiations and stops Wallace from handing over $50 million, only to then watch him trade for Zach Randolph later on in the day.

Love it.

http://myespn.go.com...ling-Taker.html

Summed up quite nicely: "The NBA's salary cap structure is usually unforgiving of teams who made the kind of miscalculation the Clippers did on Zach Randolph last season. But the Clippers have been leading a charmed existence over the past six weeks. First Blake Griffin land in their lap, and now they find a willing sucker for Zach Randolph."

Gasol, Thabeet and Randolph, with Gay, Conley and Warrick...

#94 Pollard's Spartan Beard

• 441 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

ESPN is reporting Ariza may be leaving LA:
With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers are currently unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.

"They're letting him go," one of the sources said.

Cleveland is making a hard push for Ariza, and the Cavaliers' coaching staff was speaking with him on Wednesday. While Cleveland can only offer the mid-level as well, Ariza's disappointment with the Lakers' stance has moved other suitors ahead of his current team.

#95 ElUno20

• 1,464 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (the1andonly3003 @ Jul 1 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://myespn.go.com...ling-Taker.html

Summed up quite nicely: "The NBA's salary cap structure is usually unforgiving of teams who made the kind of miscalculation the Clippers did on Zach Randolph last season. But the Clippers have been leading a charmed existence over the past six weeks. First Blake Griffin land in their lap, and now they find a willing sucker for Zach Randolph."

Gasol, Thabeet and Randolph, with Gay, Conley and Warrick...

That writer has ran a really great clipperblog for the last few years. He should have used the title from his blog post. "The Clippers Find Their Sucker"

#96 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,767 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Memphis might be a sucker but I'm not sure this is a worse result than signing Lee to a big-money long term deal. They'll have at least $24 million coming off the books in two summers when Gay and Gasol will be up for extensions. It all depends on what they do with the expiring deals and cap room. It could turn out to be an epic failure of a move, but I at least understand why they made it.

#97 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

Jesus. Cleveland is in on just about everyone.

#98 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

http://www.cleveland...ron_artest.html

Cavs are in on Artest and Ariza. Article also says the C's are in on Artest, which I don't really buy.

#99 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (SemperFidelisSox @ Jul 2 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jesus. Cleveland is in on just about everyone.

This sounds like a team that knows their window to win is exactly one year, and that Bron-Bron is a sure thing to bail. Otherwise, you'd think they'd at least TRY to save some $ to resign Lebron.

#100 nighthob

• 2,952 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

They don't need to "save money to re-sign LeBron". They need to win a title to re-sign him.