Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2009 MLB First Year Player Draft Game Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Because the one in the Minor League forum was moved to the main board, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a discussion thread here in the Sandbox so we can discuss it.

So, any thoughts on the draft? Predictions? The players being drafted?

Red Sox have the 28th pick. A mock draft here projects that LHP Matt Purke will be chose.

Name: Matthew PurkeHeight/Weight: 6-3 / 180Date of Birth: 7/17/90School: Klein HS (TX)Matt Purke- (from http://www.brewerfan...r...2&draftId=7

Matthew Purke in my opinion is the best prep prospect available for the 2009 draft. This may surprise some people, but I actually have Purke #2 overall at this point in time, behind only Stephen Strasburg. That's how good I think he could be if he's able to stay healthy, not that there's any reason to believe that he won't outside of the usual concern with young arms. Purke has a slender frame, yet he's a well-proportioned overall athlete with plenty of room to fill out as his body starts to mature into his early 20's. He throws from a low three-quarters delivery that creates a fair amount of deception, and his arm action is so effortless it makes it look as though he isn't putting much stress on his arm. The ball explodes out of his hand, as he can touch 95 with his fastball and sits comfortably in the 89-92 range, and there's a little bit of natural, late sinking movement to his fastball. While he does maintain his velocity deep into ballgames at this stage in his career, filling out and adding more muscle mass should only help him continue to do so, not only over the course of a game, but over the course of a much longer season. His arm action is tailor-made for a slider, a pitch that comes out of his hand looking like a fastball that explodes in on the hands of right-handed batters and away from left-handed swingers. Purke also throws a nice changeup that is advanced for his age, but doesn't throw it as often given the success of his fastball-slider combination. A talented overall athlete, he fields his position well and also is a gifted hitter that plays first base when he's not pitching. In addition to his physical attributes, Purke also receives high marks for his character. Not only does he have a good head on his shoulders, but he is also very confident in his abilities and has a nasty competitive streak that causes him to want the ball and exceed in the highest pressure situations. During the summer of 2008 Purke pitched for the Aflac All-American Classic, the Under Armour Classic, the Perfect Game National Showcase, the Tournament of the Stars and for the Team USA 18U National Team. He has committed to play for Texas Christian University, but I highly doubt he ever steps foot on campus.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#2 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

Watch it live here: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...aftlive_app.jsp

1st pick is Strasburg... big surprise.

#3 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

They desperately need a Mel Kiper Jr. type on this panel......with the hair.

#4 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

Over/under on Strasburg in the majors?

2.5 years? 1.5 years?

#5 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (EastCoasterOutWest @ Jun 9 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over/under on Strasburg in the majors?

2.5 years? 1.5 years?

No later than opening day 2010.

#6 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (mcpickl @ Jun 9 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No later than opening day 2010.

That's what I'm thinking. They drop him straight into AAA and see how he does.

#7 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Seattle Mariners take - Dustin Atley OF- Called best pure hitter in this year's draft. Led NC.

San Diego Padres select- Donovan Tate- CF. risky pick, as he has a football scholarship to NC. On MLB they say they're not sure what he will do.

Is this the NC draft or what?

Edit:

Pirates select: Jorge Sanchez, C. Defensively ready for big leagues apparently, and is an alright hitter from what I hear. Good to see a BC guy get picked so early.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#8 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Baltimore Orioles select: Matt Hobgood

stats:http://www.maxpreps....l...yer&group=3

Pretty damn impressive. They called him the best HS pitcher available. And he won't be difficult to sign.

In other news, talking to myself is pretty fun.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#9 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (brewdawg819 @ Jun 9 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seattle Mariners take - Dustin Atley OF- Called best pure hitter in this year's draft. Led NC.

San Diego Padres select- Donovan Tate- CF. risky pick, as he has a football scholarship to NC. On MLB they say they're not sure what he will do.

Is this the NC draft or what?

Edit:

Pirates select: Jorge Sanchez, C. Defensively ready for big leagues apparently, and is an alright hitter from what I hear. Good to see a BC guy get picked so early.

This is yet another disaster by the Pirates. Picking a guy not in anyones top 15 because he is willing to sign cheaply. Did the same thing a couple years ago selecting Daniel Moskos over Matt Weiters.

Well done Pirates!

#10 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

San Fransisco Ginats select- Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS

Scouting Report

#11 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

dup post

Edited by EastCoasterOutWest, 09 June 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#12 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Atlanta Braves select- Mike Minor, LHP Vanderbilt

Dominating changeup, consistent delivery. Not a speed guy.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#13 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Selig might possibly be a worse color commentator than Eck.

Wheeler sounds like one of the duller tools in the shed. "do what?"

Edited by EastCoasterOutWest, 09 June 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#14 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Cincinatti Reds select-Mike Leake- RHP- Arizona State

Scouting Report

Sidenote- Cool to see Eric Davis.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#15 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

To review:

Pitchers taken- 16
OF-10
C-1
SS-3
3B-1
2B-1

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#16 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

Turner to the Tigers

Report: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...?content=turner

Cross him off the Sox board.

Storen to the Nats

Report: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...?content=storen

um, a reliever? Not sure about this one.

#17 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Thats why it's NATSTOWN!

Crow is a good example of how stubborness can hurt you; a great prospect like him should've been a top 10, but because of his contract issues, teams are weary of him.

KC Royals select- Aaron Crow, a Kansas kid, although I think KC is in Missouri.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#18 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

Matzek to the Rockies

Report: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...?content=matzek

Is this guy a groundball pitcher? Lots of Ks, but that's in high school.

#19 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (EastCoasterOutWest @ Jun 9 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matzek to the Rockies

Report: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...?content=matzek

Is this guy a groundball pitcher? Lots of Ks, but that's in high school.

Looks like it. The link says he has an average fastball and is experimenting with a changeup.

#20 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

Crow to the Royals

Good pick here.

Report: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...sp?content=crow

#21 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

AHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG

#22 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

And there goes Purke. Scratch him off the Red Sox' list.

#23 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

I'll post the rest of the 1st round picks besides the Red Sox' here.

Marlins select- LHP Chad James

Cardinals select- Shelby Miller- RHP. They seem pretty high on him. Scouting Report

Blue Jays select- P Chad Jenkins Scouting Report

Astros select- SS Jiovanni Mier Scouting Report. Second-best middle infielder in the draft behind Grant Green.

Twins select- Kyle Gibson RHP Scouting Report

White Sox select- Jared Mitchell- CF Scouting Report

Angels select- Randal Grichuk OF -Short Scouting Report

Brewers select- Eric Arnett RHP Scouting Report

Mariners select- Nick Franklin SS Scouting Reprot

Again with the Angels (was right after the Angels 1st pick, but I somehow messed it up)- Michael Trout OF Scouting Report

The Red Sox are on the clock.

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#24 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

Surprising amount of teams taking the better, more expensive prospects.

Good for them. Maybe the MLB draft has upgraded from complete joke to just kinda silly.

#25 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

The Red Sox select Reymond Fuentes, CF. Can't find much on him, and they were all pretty schoked over this.

Yankees select- Zach Heathcott, OF

Rays select- Levon Washington, 2B

Cubs select- Brett Jackson, CF

With the final pick of the first round, the Rockies select- Tim Wheeler, OF

Edited by brewdawg819, 09 June 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#26 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (brewdawg819 @ Jun 9 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Red Sox select Reymond Fuentes, CF. Can't find much on him, and they were all pretty schoked over this.

Yankees select- Zach Heathcott, OF

Rays select- Levon Washington, 2B

Cubs select- Brett Jackson, CF

The panel is really uninformed. ESPNs Keith Law had them in on Fuentes for weeks. Also, Franklin was the only guy not in his top 100 and thats the guy the panel thought was a terrific pick. Seattle is back! Franklin is gritty! He's gutsy!! (That means hes an unathletic, white middle infielder folks)

Draft coverage is a disaster.

Heres Laws writeup on Rey Fuentes

http://insider.espn....;draftyear=2009

#27 O Captain! My Captain!

• 2,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

I posted some comments on Fuentes' 60 time, a 6.3 according to NESN, in the game thread today.

For posterity:

Edit: Justin Upton ran a 6.23, one of the fastest in baseball scouting history.

Ellsbury ran a 6.55 the year the Sox drafted him, and he was older.

I asked my brother, who runs high school track, how fast that is. He commented that it's hella fast, and that the best time in the US in high school this summer was a 6.63.

#28 O Captain! My Captain!

• 2,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

Edit number two, now that I have a post here anyway: does drafting Fuentes open up more of a door for the Sox to trade Kalish/Reddick/Lin, does it make you think they're not as high on those guys (or even Jason Place, though he's not really the same sort of player) as we might be, or are they just picking the best player regardless of need?

Edited by O Captain! My Captain!, 09 June 2009 - 07:56 PM.

#29 O Captain! My Captain!

• 2,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

Pick number two, courtesy of the big kids' table:

Alex Wilson
RHP | Texas A&M
Weight: 205 lbs.
Height: 6-1

Summary: Wilson came into the year as a potential first-rounder after failing to sign with the Cubs last summer as a redshirt sophomore, but a promising start to his junior year sputtered out and his draft potential is very much in question. As a starter, Wilson will sit 92-95 mph and hold most of his velocity through six or seven innings, with a hard slurve from 80-84 mph that can miss bats. Texas A&M removed Wilson from the rotation in early April despite a very strong strikeout rate, and his stuff and strikeout rate have both been down since he moved to the bullpen. That could be fatigue, it could be an injury, but whatever it is, it's not a good sign. He's had Tommy John surgery already and his delivery has effort in it, all of which has come together to push his draft stock down.

Sox FO seeming to look for upside here with a toolsy HS OF and a injury risk RHP

#30 O Captain! My Captain!

• 2,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

And in round 3

David Renfroe
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 180
Position: P/SS

Bats: R
Throws: R

"Mississippi's high schools could produce some high-round draftees, like South Panola shortstop David Renfroe, an Ole Miss signee.

Renfroe says he only wants to play infield and doesn't want to be considered as a pitcher, even though he has a fastball in the mid-90s. That could hurt his draft stock, but ESPN.com's Keith Law recently wrote that Renfroe could go as high as the second round.

"I just really want to be an every day player," Renfroe said. "I'm really excited about tomorrow and I'm anxious to see what happens."

Renfroe said the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and Seattle Mariners have shown the most interest."

Youtube shows him hitting a HR in Wrigley with a wood bat, which is always nice to see.

#31 Metrician

• 271 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:20 AM

Renfroe says he only wants to play infield and doesn't want to be considered as a pitcher, even though he has a fastball in the mid-90s.

The Kelly model for pitching and playing some SS has worked well and the FO would almost certainly follow it again in Renfroe's case, even if he's thinking otherwise. For a season or two at least.

#32 arrowmaker

• 70 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Pick #2 concerns me a bit. He may have been the best on the boards, not sure haven't looked at it retrospectively but the MLB eval says the following.

"Wilson red-shirted in 2008, his first season at A&M after coming over from Winthrop, following Tommy John surgery. If early starts were any indication, he seemed to be all the way back with an array of above-average pitches. He goes right after hitters and while he's a little maximum-effort with his delivery, he maintains it deep into starts..."

I know, lots of guys do fine after TJ surgery but combine anyone saying a kid is "maximum effort" and being post surgery concerns me about the overall wear and tear on that elbow over the development years and any hopes that he has a reasonable return on investment (not just money but coaching time, roster slot time etc.). I guess the whole draft is a crap shoot but this looks like a stretch. I would have preferred David Hale also a college RHP about the same height and weight but a year younger, who by scouting reports has " two plus pitches: a 92-93 mph fastball with good arm-side run and a changeup that he throws 20 mph slower with excellent arm speed. His slider could develop into a third solid pitch. Hale's three-quarters arm angle accentuates the life on his fastball." His weakness per those reports is that at times his command leaves him. Not unusual for a developing pitcher. Hale went to the Braves a few slots later in the draft.

#33 brewdawg819

• 477 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Scouting reports on Wilson:
Wilson Scouting Report

#34 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (brewdawg819 @ Jun 10 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scouting reports on Wilson:
Wilson Scouting Report

Sounds like his ceiling would be a #3 type starter, if he can stay healthy.

#35 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,873 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

Per the big-boy thread:

Sox sign Brandon Jacobs

Auburn running back/linebacker signee Brandon Jacobs has signed a professional baseball contract with Boston after the Red Sox selected him in the 10th round of the Major League draft on Wednesday, according to our friends at AuburnSports.com. Jacobs told Inside the Auburn Tigers that the Red Sox have agreed to pay for his college education.

Jacobs told AuburnSports.com he signed for second-round money, which may mean upwards to $800,000.

http://blog.al.com/g...ee_chooses.html