Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Red Sox HitF/X Data Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9,437 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

Some of you might have noticed that Sportvision has started to release some HitFX data in anticipation of their upcoming PFX summit. It's available for download if you register for the summit.

So far, it appears that only April is recorded, and only then, the data is not perfect and there are many gaps (from what I understand).

I've just now downloaded it and started to play around with it...

Here's some initial stuff:

There's the average batted ball speed for each Sox Regular through April.

Figured it would be nice to have a mainboard discussion about this data and some potentially revealing conclusions from it. Maybe Ortiz isn't dead after all?

Corresponding hit-speed plot for Sox Pitchers:

Edited by Jnai, 08 June 2009 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Jnai

• 9,437 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

And here's hit angle for a few guys:

I think what this is showing is a guy like Lowell (in red) tends to pull the ball more strongly towards Left (picture this as from the pitcher's point of view I think) whereas a guy like Ortiz is pulling the ball towards Right, whereas Bay and Youkilis are (more or less) using all fields.

I think.

#3 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Harry Pavlidis posted some stuff on beyondtheboxscore.com and Ortiz and Pedroia came up in the comments section. Here are the comments, I cleaned them up a bit.

Ortiz's average speed off bat is 82.3 which is middle of the pack (119 out of 241) (between Fukudome and Kendrick) ..... >100 mph 9.8% which is 145th (Suzuki and Carlos Lee)
Most batted balls without any >= 100mph ..... 1. 66 David Eckstein 2. 65 Dustin Pedroia 3. 62 Nyjer Morgan 4. 62 Orlando Cabrera
Average speed off bat ..... Pedroia ranks 192 out of 241 hitters from the sample (>=30 pitches).

Of course, someone brought up Pedroia's quote, "Ninety-eight coming in, 102 going out!"

#4 John DiFool

• 1,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Without last year's data I couldn't say whether Dustin is in fact hitting it softer or not (seemed like he got his share of rockets last year tho). He may have made the conscious decision to sacrifice some power in exchange for pitch recognition (more walks). If he's said that to the media I don't know.

#5 Vermonter At Large

• SoxFan

• 3,061 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (John DiFool @ Jun 8 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without last year's data I couldn't say whether Dustin is in fact hitting it softer or not (seemed like he got his share of rockets last year tho). He may have made the conscious decision to sacrifice some power in exchange for pitch recognition (more walks). If he's said that to the media I don't know.

This is somewhat surprising. Pedroia seems to make real good contact and it seems illogical that his BB speed is lower than even Ellsbury, who hits a lot of choppers to the infield. Looking at the pitching results, it occurs to me that there may be some bias (angle of reflection?) toward ground balls, as evidenced by Masterson't relatively low BB speed versus, say, Wakefield who appears to give up a lot of high-trajectory, softly hit batted balls. That may also account for the higher numbers for Ortiz, Lowell and Varitek, who seem to hit a lot of high-trajectory balls and the inverse could be true of Pedroia.

Jnai, is there any evidence of angular bias in the measurements?

#6 Jnai

• 9,437 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hm. Interesting question. I'll check for that tomorrow.

If you're like me and were wondering how initial bat speed on a batted ball actually translated into hits... here's a frequency histogram of how fast balls were going when they resulted in different hit types.

Here's the same thing for different out types:

Might be useful as a reference when people start quoting these #s.

Also, note different scales on these graphs.

Also, from the world of things that make complete sense but are fun to verify:

Most singles are hit between third and short, up the middle, and between second and first... while most doubles are hit over the head of but otherwise at infielders.

Edited by Jnai, 08 June 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#7 Hairps

• 1,733 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Jnai @ Jun 8 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far, it appears that only April is recorded, and only then, the data is not perfect and there are many gaps (from what I understand).

How many balls in play are we looking at for each batter?

#8 Jnai

• 9,437 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Not many.

#9 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,898 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

would be interesting to track speed on BIP to the 3 segments of the field, especially for someone like Papi.