Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

First Time Visitors to SoSH - Please Read This

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4,693 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Welcome to SoSH, the premier spot for discussion of all things Red Sox on the internet.

We are glad you have decided to check out our annual SoSH Auction for Curt's Pitch for ALS, and encourage you to register an account and participate. To open an account, click on "Register" on the main page of SoSH, or go directly to the SoSH registration page. As soon as you set up your account you will be able to join in the fun. If you have any questions, problems with the registration process, or want to know more about the auction, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

The auction will be held this year from July 6 Ė 19. Last year, we were able to raise the incredible sum of over $65,000 to help Massachusetts victims of ALS and their families. Some of the items in last year's event included a Red Sox clubhouse tour with Curt Schilling, a week's use of at a beach house in Cape Cod, original artwork, a visit to the set of The Office, and many more tremendous packages. This year's auction items can be seen below. Mass ALS did a nice story about our efforts last fall which you can read about here..

It really is amazing to me when I look back at how this event has grown and changed over the years. All of this started during a chat room conversation about getting together the following summer to play softball one cold February night. At the first game we had just enough players and it fittingly ended in a tie. But the event grew and became an annual affair, and the auction is a new twist to that annual SoSH softball game (members only, sorry, although if there is interest some spots may be included in the auction). The game has always been played for a charitable cause, with the Shade Foundation an early recipient, but three years ago my good friend and long time teammate, John Hoyt, contracted Lou Gehrig's Disease. The good people of SoSH allowed me to make the family, in a non-profit account we set up as The Friends of John Hoyt, the beneficiary of that year's fund raising effort. John attended the post game party at my house that year, and I still get a little misty when I remember the long line of SoSH members waiting to meet him and shake his hand. John passed away that fall, and it was then decided to dedicate all future softball events and related fundraisers to him. Thus, the overly long moniker, Sons of Sam Horn Softball Bash for Curt's Pitch for ALS in Memory of John Hoyt, came to rest on an event that has continued to expand and flourish.

Most the auctioned items and services for last year's auction were donated by SoSH members and lurkers, but anyone can participate in this event. Ideas for auction items include fine art, web design, game tickets, vacation packages, sports memorabilia, beer museum tours, and shooting range adventures, to name a few. Services are also great auction items and last year raised a good share of our total. Drumming up donations from businesses is another fantastic way to contribute if you donít have much dough. Again, to participate, as a donor or a bidder or both, simply register a new account. All of the bidding is done here, and is open to anyone with a registered account. Don't forget, if you want to donate items for the auction, or have any questions concerning this event, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] As always, you will also be able to make a straight donation to the cause if you choose not to participate in the auction. The payment site can be found here.

Yo la tengo,

Fris