Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

HOW TO! Updated Bidding and Paying Info, How to Close Your Auction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Candy LaChance

• Skrub's secret admirer

• 2418 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

HOW THE AUCTIONS WORK!
The auction will run from July 6 - 19. Each auction item will have it's own thread. Thread titles state the name of the auction item and a brief description; when the auction schedule is set, the date and time will be added to indicate when bidding for that item will end. The title will change to indicate if the item is in"PREVIEW," or is “BIDDING” or “CLOSED.” Threads will contain a description, a picture if applicable), auction dates and times (EST), name of the donor, retail value, and will include a minimum bid. Bidding will be done by posting in the thread. The last posted high bid at auction's end will be the lucky winner, so be sure to note the auction closing date and time. We ask that you pay within 24 hours at the auction payment/donation site.

The auction is open to everyone! However, if you are not a member you must go to the donation site to register with a $5 donation, which will automatically enter you in the raffle as well. You can also register by doing one of the following:
* Purchase of a Cookbook
* Purchase of a T-Shirt
* Entry in The Prediction Contest
* Making a $5 Direct Donation (which includes one free raffle entry)
Registration is to ensure we have current contact information for each bidder.

BIDDING:

The bidding for all auctions will be done in graduated increments:
$10 bidding increments for items auctioning between $0 - $200
$25 bidding increments for items auctioning between $201 - $500
$50 bidding increments for items auctioning over $501+
$100 bidding increments for items auctioning over $1000
This is being done to avoid insignificant last minute bids to win an auction.

Winners will be notified with the amount due including cost of any shipping (if applicable); unless for unusual circumstances (overseas, oversize, overweight, overnight) shipping will generally be included in your winning bid. Donors, please contact me or LoweTek for reimbursement of shipping costs; please be sure to have a receipt for your shipping costs! Payment must be received within 24 hours or the item will go to the next highest bidder unless special arrangements have been made.

PAYING FOR AN AUCTION
There is a payment link on each auction page that will take you to the payment site. To pay for your auction, go to the Donation site and click on the "Pay for Auction Item" box on the top left-hand side.

The instructions at the top of the donate/pay page are as follows:

This is a two step process that was intentional based on certain security concerns (long story). These are the two steps:
1. Fill out the form, be returned to the page, 2. click the Donate button, log in to PayPal (or enter payment information), make donation.
So it's first, fill out the form and confirm. Second, click the Donate button and do the financial transaction.

IF YOU ARE AN ITEM DONOR: HOW TO CLOSE YOUR AUCTION

One of The Comittee will close your auction when the time comes; LoweTek will then post in your thread to let you know when the auction is paid. Once payment has been received, please PM the winner to arrange the hand-off. If you need to ship something, we will reimburse you, but you MUST have a receipt for the shipping/mailing. Contact LoweTek to be reimbursed.

****RAFFLE****
There will be a raffle again this year! We are offering raffle chances for $5 each or 3 for $10. Drawings for the raffle will be held at the Softball Bash: a prize will be named and a winner drawn for that item. Prizes will be delivered or sent after the weekend is over, and everyone has recovered from their hangovers. Check back for a description of our fabulous prizes!

Reminder: Non-members are also welcome to bid on auction items and enter the raffle, but must register with a $5.00 donation to Curt's Pitch for ALS; this is to ensure we have current contact information for each bidder. Click here to register!

MAKING A STRAIGHT DONATION There is also a way to donate directly to Curt's Pitch on the Donation Site.
To do this, go to the Donation site and click on the DONATE link. This donation is tax-deductible. Donors making a straight $50 and higher donation will get a SoSH t-shirt! The first 50 people donating a straight donation of $200 or more will get both a Curt's Pitch hat and a SoSH t-shirt! Donor who contribute an auction item worth $100 or more or an item that brings $100 or more, will also get a free SoSH shirt! If you would like to donate an auction item, please PM me.

Important information regarding autographed or other “Genuine” memorabilia: Sons of Sam Horn, the Mass ALS Association, our Sponsors and The Committee™ are not able to guarantee the authenticity or provenance of any autographed or “Genuine” memorabilia which may appear in the auction. Purchaser and Donor assume all risk for the accuracy of any such provenance or authenticity representation. However, we try not to accept donations from wonky or suspect sources.

A note about bidding: Each auction will contain an estimated “retail value;” this is not the point at which bidding should stop. Overbids add up to more money going to the Mass ALS Association; also, the difference between the retail value and the overbid may be tax deductible. The end goal is to raise as much money as possible for ALS. Please see the auction as a place to find unique items donated by friends and neighbors you wouldn’t find elsewhere, and help fight ALS at the same time!

Although it was not a problem last year, here are the rules in the case of last minute competitive bids: if it appears there are 'sniper' bids coming in at the last minute by bidders without a previous bidding history for that item for the sole purpose of winning an auction, or if there is a large amount of activity by previous bidders, or if the server appears too slow to quickly register bids, a "BEST AND FINAL OVERTIME" will be declared by the Auction Hall Monitors. At the close of the auction, the top 3 bidders will be named. To qualify as a "Top Bidder" one must have bid on an auction PRIOR TO and and WITHIN the final 30 minutes of the end of an auction with one of the highest bids. The 3 top bidders will then have the opportunity to send via PM one last BEST AND FINAL confidential bid to the Auction Hall Monitor (who will probably be me, Fris, Lowetek, BlessyouBoys, or an appointed deputy to be named later). The highest bid will be declared the winner and then posted in the auction thread along with the amount of the winning bid; if there is a tie, those bidders will be offered a chance to bid again, until a winner is declared. Not every auction might qualify for Best and Final OT.

Unregistered non-member bids, welchers, fakers, scabs and scammers will be frowned upon, and treated with suspension or banishment in addition to the heaping on of scorn and derision.

Have fun! Bid high and bid often!

Edited by Candy LaChance, 16 July 2009 - 03:51 PM.

#2 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Maybe I'm missing something obvious...are all these posted items going to be switched from PENDING to OPEN on some schedule unknown to me, or does the process just start when the first person posts a bid?

#3 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5828 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (JimBoSox9 @ Jun 9 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm missing something obvious...are all these posted items going to be switched from PENDING to OPEN on some schedule unknown to me, or does the process just start when the first person posts a bid?

The auction will run from July 6 - 19.

#4 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5828 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Question for the powers that be.

I will not be around or available to bid on these auctions while they are being held, but there are many that I would love to bid on and hopefully win.

How would you suggest I go about attempting to place bids on these auctions?

#5 Candy LaChance

• Skrub's secret admirer

• 2418 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (TheShynessClinic @ Jun 21 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question for the powers that be.

I will not be around or available to bid on these auctions while they are being held, but there are many that I would love to bid on and hopefully win.

How would you suggest I go about attempting to place bids on these auctions?

Although we haven't come up against this before, there are a few ways we could do this.

You could enlist a surrogate to bid for you, up to a certain amount that the two of you determine ahead of time.

Or, we could do like the auction houses do: you could give one of the auction mods a top amount that you are willing to bid. The mod would then enter a bid for you in the proper increments until you are the final high bidder, or until the bidding surpasses your top limit. Because all the bids are recorded here, you will be able to see the other bids to be sure you didn't bid higher than the auction warranted. If you want to go this route, PM me and I'll set something up for you.

Thanks for making the extra effort to try to participate!

#6 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Just wanted to clear something up.

If one just makes a straight donation, does it count as registration for the auction if it is more than $5? I.e. if I made a donation, and then found an auction item I wanted to bid on, would I need to make a separate donation to register for the auction?

I'm just wondering if there is anything special about the $5 number(maybe it's a flag for some software or something).

Thanks!

#7 LoweTek

• 758 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Jul 13 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to clear something up.

If one just makes a straight donation, does it count as registration for the auction if it is more than $5? I.e. if I made a donation, and then found an auction item I wanted to bid on, would I need to make a separate donation to register for the auction?

I'm just wondering if there is anything special about the $5 number(maybe it's a flag for some software or something).

Thanks!
Any donation, be it direct, raffle entry, prediction entry, etc., any amount, qualifies for registration. You only have to register once. I can not easily differentiate donations which are also registrations so be sure to make note of it in the Notes field on the form. I'm assuming you made a donation. So I'll verify and get your screen name posted in the thread.