Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

SoSH Auction for Curt's Pitch for ALS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4621 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

We are pleased to announce that the annual SoSH auction to benefit ALS patient care and research will be held again this year from July 6 – 19. Last year, we were able to raise the incredible sum of over $65,000 to help Massachusetts victims of ALS and their families. As many of you remember, this is an on-line auction with most of the items and services donated by the Sons of Sam Horn community. All of the bidding is done right here on the SoSH site and is open to everyone, members, lurkers, and visitors alike. In their October 2008 newsletter, Mass ALS did a nice story about our efforts which can be seen here.. You can also read what happened in last year's auction here.

It really is amazing to me when I look back at how this event, which is linked to the annual Sons of Sam Horn softball game [members only, sorry], has evolved over the years. All of this started during a chat room conversation with Homerun Baker, URI, and a few other deviants one cold February night. At the first game we had just enough players and it fittingly ended in a tie. But the event grew and became an annual affair. Then three years ago my good friend and longtime teammate, John Hoyt, contracted amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease. The SoSH community came together and decided to have the game and related fundraiser benefit John and his family. One of my most endearing and lasting memories is when John attended our post game party. The SoSH crew lined up to shake his hand and offer encouragement. I still get a little misty thinking of that night, because John passed away that winter. It was then decided to dedicate all future softball events and related fundraisers to him. Thus, the overly long moniker, Sons of Sam Horn Softball Bash for Curt's Pitch for ALS in Memory of John Hoyt, came to rest on an event that has continued to grow.

Once again, we are mainly relying on the SoSH community (both members and lurkers) to provide auction items. Last year you pendejos came up with a ton of great money making ideas for the auction, from the Skrub Butler, to the Opening Day game thread starter, to new membership auctions, etc. There was fine art, web design, game tickets, vacation packages, sports memorabilia, beer museum tours, and shooting range adventures, to name a few. Services are great auction items and last year raised a good share of our total. Drumming up donations from businesses is another fantastic way to contribute if you don’t have much dough. Any ideas, no matter how wacky, are appreciated!

We’re aware that the economy is very different this year than it was last year so we’re working at coming up with a variety of auction items that will be wallet friendly for the bidders. Some budget-minded ideas are an exciting SoSH cookbook, 50/50 raffles, ticket raffles and grab-bag auctions. If you have any other ideas along these lines, please share them.

We will be asking for help with the auction again this year, so watch for the call for volunteers. If you have interest in working on publicity, obtaining items for auction, or any of the glamorous behind-the-scenes activities, please contact either Candy LaChance or me (PM here or [email protected]). We really don't need many people, but hope to get a few dedicated souls.

As always, you will also be able to make a straight donation to the cause if you choose not to participate in the auction. The payment site can be found here.

If there are any of you reading this who are not yet a member of SoSH, you can still participate in the auction as a donor or a bidder or both. Simply register a new account and you can join in the fun.

This is really a community project and we cannot thank all of you enough for all the help and support you have provided over the years. This is the best of SoSH.

Yo la tengo,

Fris, Candy, LT, Skrub, and BlessYouBoys (The Committee TM)