Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2009 MLB First Year Player Draft Game Thread - Day 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
453 replies to this topic

#451 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

For Tate High's Jayce Boyd, the wait will go on at least one more day. Day one of the Major League Baseball Draft came and went Tuesday without Boyd coming off the board, and he's now a safe bet to be picked in the early part of today's rounds, which run from 4 through 30, starting at 11 a.m. Since he wasn't picked, his future is still up in the air, but it was a fun experience for him.

"I figured it probably wouldn't be (Tuesday) anyway," said Boyd, who already has signed with Florida State. "I was just excited to watch because half those guys drafted today, I've played against or played with."

He came close to being picked by the Chicago Cubs. The organization called and made him an offer with the 79th pick, toward the end of the second round. He turned it down, though, because he's expecting either the Red Sox or Yankees to give him a chance to play summer ball for them to see if he can earn the undisclosed money number he wants from them..
http://www.pnj.com/a...MLB Draft today

#452 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

Stassi's deal:
But over the course of five hours, anticipation turned to disappointment. One hundred and eleven players were selected during the first three rounds on Tuesday — and the Yuba City High catcher was not among them.

The omission of Stassi's name — which was floated in the first round of many mock drafts — stems from signability issues — and the family isn't budging.

With a full-ride scholarship to UCLA on the table, the Stassis wanted "top 20 money" to pull the Honkers standout away from the Pac-10 school and into the pros, said Max's father and coach, Jim Stassi.

"We have a figure in our head what UCLA is worth," he said. "And when those clubs called, we said we are not going to make a deal at slot to get it done.

"He would have gone in the (compensation round) if we had settled for slot."
During the course of the draft, Jim Stassi answered calls on his Blackberry from the Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers.

"(They asked) if slot was going to get it done, and we said no, he's going to school," he said.
"Were not going to make that decision until it is all over," said the elder Stassi about his son's college decision. "We would like to think he is in a pretty good position, being one of the top players left, and some clubs had only picked twice.

"You never know who may step up to the plate. We've already gotten calls that said, 'You're the best player out here,'" he said.
The Boston Red Sox, who Max Stassi worked out for at Fenway Park on Monday, had called in the morning.

Projections had Stassi going to the Sox with the 28th pick in the first round, but instead the team opted to choose center fielder Reymond Fuentes out of Fernando Callejo High in Puerto Rico. After Fuentes' name was called, there remained hope that Boston would take Stassi with their second-round pick.

"That's where I expected him to go because they are a team that pays over slot," Jim Stassi said. "I thought they liked him, but that is the business side of things."
http://www.appeal-de...-year-flat.html

Last year is was Kelly $3M and Westmoreland $2M on our way to a $10M draft.. I wonder if this year it's Renfroe and Stassi.

Edited by SoxScout, 10 June 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#453 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7388 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (The Boomer @ Jun 9 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Ken Brett (remember him?) was the second pick overall in one of the early drafts as a hard throwing H.S. lefty. However, like his HOF brother George, he was also a top position player. It was said that he might have been a better hitter than his brother (though that's hard to believe).
Hey, Ken Brett holds the ML record for most consecutive games homering as a pitcher.

#454 RoaylOrange

• 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (IpswichSox @ Jun 9 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex Wilson was born in that hotbed of baseball, Saudi Arabia.

He was born there, but the only reason he lived there was because of his father's job.

He grew up in East Tennessee, and that is where he played his youth baseball. I grew up around him and saw him play up until his teens, when his family moved again.