Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Syracuse Basketball 09-10:

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
364 replies to this topic

#351 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3261 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (JimD @ Mar 24 2010, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

F.

#352 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

That was a fun season. Shitty end to it but they weren't going to win it all w/out Onuaku anyway and I think the players finally knew that. Too upset to really disect the loss, especially those last 4 dreadful minutes.

Go Cornell.

#353 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Not having Onuaku was a major factor tonight. No way Jackson is allowed to f up that many times if Onuaku is playing.

Was anyone else perturbed by the way Syracuse immediately morphed into clock killing mode after they went up by 4 with about 6 minutes to go? They were on a roll and that change of pace just killed their momentum. I felt at the time it was way too early and way too close to begin playing that way. I think that was the death knell for them. Oh well, it was a hell of a season. The Onuaku injury really sealed their fate.

#354 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (Bucknahs Bum Ankle @ Mar 25 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not having Onuaku was a major factor tonight. No way Jackson is allowed to f up that many times if Onuaku is playing.

Was anyone else perturbed by the way Syracuse immediately morphed into clock killing mode after they went up by 4 with about 6 minutes to go? They were on a roll and that change of pace just killed their momentum. I felt at the time it was way too early and way too close to begin playing that way. I think that was the death knell for them. Oh well, it was a hell of a season. The Onuaku injury really sealed their fate.

I completely disagree.

Even when they were cutting into the lead, I never felt like this team was truly running on all cylinders. And for the balance of the night, Syracuse looked completely off. Up 2 buckets, with the ball, with 2 guys at 4 fouls and only a 6 man rotation, I absolutely want to shorten the number of possessions in the game. This team was playing too stupid to try playing fast.

Edited by bsj, 26 March 2010 - 08:58 AM.

#355 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

I agree with bsj here. Cuse was fighting the entire game just to get back to even. They couldn't afford to play fast given their lack of depth. Also explains why they didn't press in the 1st half when they were down double digits, which JB has done in the past. They simply couldn't afford to pick up any stupid fouls in this one.

You saw what happened when Jackson went to the bench early. Riley came in for less than a minute and immediately turned it over and picked up a foul. He was a huge liability.

They didn't play well at all. Too many possessions wasted with turnovers was really the story of the game. Credit to Butler for taking advantage of those TO's and turning them into points.

#356 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

Butler went on an 11-0 run after that point I believe. How much worse could it have been if they kept trying to score points instead of taking the air out of the ball? I'm not saying they had to continue playing as fast as they were, but they certainly could have tried looking for lanes and driving instead of taking 40 seconds to toss up a long range 3.

Obviously the bottom line is they didn't play well. Lack of an inside presence who could actually handle the ball killed them.

#357 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Bucknahs Bum Ankle @ Mar 26 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Butler went on an 11-0 run after that point I believe. How much worse could it have been if they kept trying to score points instead of taking the air out of the ball? I'm not saying they had to continue playing as fast as they were, but they certainly could have tried looking for lanes and driving instead of taking 40 seconds to toss up a long range 3.

Obviously the bottom line is they didn't play well. Lack of an inside presence who could actually handle the ball killed them.

I dont know man. Would it have helped? Maybe. Or it could have given them time to turn it over 4-5 more times.

Agreed re: bottom line. They just sucked. And honestly, the key to the game was Rick Jackson's horrible outing.

#358 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

Jackson looked drunk out there. I got a kick out of him trying to post-up in the 1st half 12-15 feet from the hoop. Seriously, was he drunk?

#359 The Filthy One

• 698 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

It was a shitty end to a great season. This Syracuse team was so much more fun to watch and to root for than last year's club, even though the season ended at the same point. It was still a step forward for the program, landing a #1 seed, being ranked #1 overall for a bit. Hopefully they can build off this next season. Obviously, losing Rautins and Johnson hurts (Onuaku, I think, will be more or less replaced by Melo), but if Jardine and Triche can improve a little bit, this could still be a great team. I just hope they're as much fun to watch.

#360 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Rossox @ Mar 26 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jackson looked drunk out there. I got a kick out of him trying to post-up in the 1st half 12-15 feet from the hoop. Seriously, was he drunk?

I thought he was stoned. Very strange and awful night for him.

#361 LeftyTG

• 755 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

man, that loss hurt for me. I knew they were severely limited without AO, and I had mentally prepared myself for losing to Kansas St. I even think I'd have been ok if they ran into a Butler team that had one of those insane shooting nights and they just couldn't keep up. But to lose the way they did last night...it is just a hard one to swallow. I watched every single game this season, and the only game that resembled this one was Depaul. Nobody had an A game last night, or even a solid B (I can't decide if Jackson was a F- or an incomplete for not even showing up.)

They should have beaten Butler with or without AO, but I think last night really showed what makes AO so good in the post. AO has frustrated the hell out of me at many points the last several years, but one thing he does well is to establish good position. Butler was able to push Jackson off his spot, and Jackson didn't know how to counter, how to reset, and didn't have the sense to pass the ball back and reestablish position when he was fed too far away from the post. AO is great at those things, which are really underappreciated. Butler would have had a really hard time physically matching up and containing AO.

That being said, I think Butler played the smartest game against Syracuse all year. The key to stalling the Syracuse offense is to cut off Rautins. He is their main creator, and he mostly does it through the threat of his shot leading to passing opportunities. Butler stuck close to Rautins and did everything they could to deny him the ball. When he got it, they crowded him and forced him into a driver. Same thing with Wes - for all his athleticism and lottery talent, he is very ordinary putting the ball on the floor and driving. He is much more comfortable taking a dribble or two and elevating over the defender to get his jumper off. Butler did a good job of staying up on Wes and not respecting his ability to drive. Last night really made me wish Wes had a post game the way Melo did in '03. Butler was defending Wes with a guy several inches shorter. If Wes had the ability to just get it on the block and make them pay it would have made all the difference. They also more or decided to not even pursue offensive rebounds, and as soon as their shots went up, retreated to defense. This eliminated any possibility of transition for Syracuse, as you could see several times Syracuse would get a long rebound, outlet and push the ball, only to have a 1 on 3 or 2 on 3 situation. Butler cut out the easy transition points Syracuse usually racks up, which feeds the high FG%.

Despite all the, in my mind, smart tactical decisions Butler made in trying to slow Syracuse down, it still wouldn't have been enough if Syracuse didn't cough the ball up so much. It wasn't even like most of the TO's were forced - they were of the brainlock unforced variety. The bulk of them simply defied explanation. For a game played at such a slow pace, that number of TO's were just killer. I thought they played fairly well on defense, though Butler taking the air out of the ball and slowing the pace turned off Syracuse's aggression, which in turn limited the number of turnovers Syracuse usually generates with their aggressive, trapping zone. They did a good job of setting really solid screens up top and just going back and forth and running the syracuse guards into pick after pick. I imagine Rautins/Scoop/Triche are all sore this morning.

I think what makes this loss so hard to swallow is that SU was genuinely one of the top 3 teams all season. Syracuse is always good, but seldom elite. This year they were elite, and it represented an unusual confluence of factors - AO and Rautins being 5th year seniors, a surefire NBA lottery transfer (how often does that happen?), little used freshmen making huge leaps (KJ and Scoop). This team had the unusual mix of experience, talent, athleticism fit for the zone, offensive balance, and unselfishness/chemistry. This season was just ripe for greatness, and to have it end so early and under such circumstances makes it so much harder, at least for me.

They will be good again next year, but will take a step back defensively. Jackson will be a battle tested senior, but he doesn't have the offensive touch AO did. Melo will be a freshman and will contribute, but won't be AO. Riley will hopefully gain strength, but is still two years away. Scoop made a lot of strides, especially with his perimeter shooting - I'm hoping Triche loses some weight and gains some quickness. He'll never be a burner, but with that frame he won't have to be. KJ, in my opinion, will be the best player on the team next year. Hopefully he'll step up to be the primary scorer. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how the freshmen this year improve next year (I'm especially intrigued by Southerland) and how the incoming freshmen integrate (primarily Melo and Waiters, who should see court action).

#362 mahky bellhorn

• 1520 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Butler is a very smart team, excellent shot selection and they protect the ball very well.

I think the +11 turnover margin explains what happened last night.

#363 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Well said, Lefty.

#364 LeftyTG

• 755 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Onuaku had surgery on his quad tendon today. He was never coming back in that tournament, and all that talk really was gamesmanship for the selection committee.

I still haven't gotten over the fact he got hurt, and what might have been had he been healthy...

#365 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6784 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (LeftyTG @ Apr 8 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Onuaku had surgery on his quad tendon today. He was never coming back in that tournament, and all that talk really was gamesmanship for the selection committee.

I still haven't gotten over the fact he got hurt, and what might have been had he been healthy...

Guess the committee screwed up after all in selecting its last 1 seed - just not in the way the country seemed to think.