Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Syracuse Basketball 09-10:

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
364 replies to this topic

#51 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (bosoxtw9 @ Aug 5 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Youk- quickly becoming my favorite poster. Nice to hear from a fellow college hoops diehard like myself. Good luck this season with the Orange. You guys so need to bring these uniforms back:

I always loved that jersey. The orange "SYRACUSE" looks really nice against the navy jersey. I hate, and I mean hate, the SILVER. Where did that even come from? When i think Syracuse, silver is one of the last colors to come to mind. I'm hoping this is the last year with the silver. Also, the shorts are ridiculously big. I don't even know how Jonny is able to dribble in between the legs. But, I would like to see us go back to it more frequently in the future, just replace the silver with orange. The problem with a blue jersey, other than is that it would likely only be worn on the road, thus negating the far superior orange jersey. I suppose you COULD wear it at home, but anything other than white would just look … awkward. West Virginia uses their yellow jerseys as home jerseys sometimes… I think the Lakers do too… Is Orange too dark to wear at home? or would it clash with St. Johns red? We could wear white for those games. Just a thought.

Still love this jersey though. Always loved the cursive, "Syracuse"

http://img23.imagesh...1867alt1xl.jpg/

http://img44.imagesh...achmentqba.jpg/

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 10 August 2009 - 01:52 AM.

#52 mwpeters8182

• 55 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Aug 10 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always loved that jersey. The orange "SYRACUSE" looks really nice against the navy jersey. I hate, and I mean hate, the SILVER. Where did that even come from? When i think Syracuse, silver is one of the last colors to come to mind.

I feel like SU, on occasion, lets Nike use them as a test bed for new stuff, kind of like an Oregon light. Remember these uniforms, from the big east tournament a few years back?

http://www.sportsfan...cuse_jersey.jpg

Seems the whole skintight, long sleeved thing never caught on. But it's the basis for the current uniform, which I'd like to go away as soon as possible. I'm with you on the silver.

Edited by mwpeters8182, 10 August 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#53 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9,333 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

Recruit Tobias Harris is now ranked as the 7th best in his class by ESPN's revised rankings -- higher than Dion Waters (#14) and Fab Melo (#20) who have commtted to Syracuse.

http://insider.espn......cker/espnu100

#54 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,033 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (mwpeters8182 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel like SU, on occasion, lets Nike use them as a test bed for new stuff, kind of like an Oregon light. Remember these uniforms, from the big east tournament a few years back?

http://www.sportsfan...cuse_jersey.jpg

Seems the whole skintight, long sleeved thing never caught on. But it's the basis for the current uniform, which I'd like to go away as soon as possible. I'm with you on the silver.

Syracuse is classified as a "Nike Elite" basketball school so they wear uniforms, shoes, etc. that are 2-3 years ahead of the curve. Not all of them were the L/S version. I remember when those sleeveless tight-fit jerseys were debuted in the Big East Tournament along with Arizona, Michigan State, and North Carolina I believe. In fact, that T/F jersey is called the "Syracuse Cut." We are getting those uniforms here at Stony Brook this year.

Personally, I really like the silver in the 'Cuse uniforms especially in the home whites.

#55 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (Nuf Ced @ Aug 13 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Recruit Tobias Harris is now ranked as the 7th best in his class by ESPN's revised rankings -- higher than Dion Waters (#14) and Fab Melo (#20) who have commtted to Syracuse.

http://insider.espn......cker/espnu100

Although generally ESPN has the least accurate rankings. Thats still interesting. Would love to add him. Will be interested to see what the better services say as they update their rankings near the end of summer. As an aside, C.J. Fair was ranked #25 in the country in July 08. He has dropped sharply because he missed his entire Junior year, due to a torn ACL. If he makes a full recovery to form, I expect he will quickly rise back up the ranks this year.

Every indication from Tobias' father points to him wanting Harris to be the FEATURED player on the team.I wouldn't be surprised if landing Melo removed us from the list of frontrunners for this kid. If the Orange manage to land Harris, they would potentially have 3 McDonald All Americans in this class. If Tobias is smart, he'll want to play for a team that has good big men, so that he won't be expected to do quite as much on the boards as he would for a team like Tennessee or Ga Tech. Our depth of quality big men makes it easier for Boeheim to allow Harris to freelance. Right now, if I had to guess of all the teams on his list, I'm thinking either Kentucky or Connecticut, we have a pretty big jam in our frontcourt, and if Wes stays two years it will get even bigger. I really like Harris though, he's the perfect 3/4 hybrid for our system. If Wes has a good year he will go pro and there will be room for Harris, to start his Freshman year. Harris would probably start at the 3 with Rick at the 4 and Melo at the 5. We would also have Triche and Waiters in the backcourt. That would probably be our most talented starting 5 since 2003. Joseph, Riley, Fair, Southerland, Jardine, and Jones coming off the bench will offer great depth.

I think Tobias Harris has the skill set and size that we need to play the 4, unless Rick plays there exclusively as a senior. I look at Kris Joseph, CJ Fair, Southerland and Mookie Jones, and I see 4 guys who can play and defend the 3, although Kris might bulk up a bit.

One downside with Harris is that he is falling in love with being a 3 and all the adulation he is getting, and if he comes here, we don't need another jump shooting power forward like Donte Greene; we need a guy who isn't afraid to play close to the basket, establish his game there first, and THEN take it outside. That's what Carmelo did - he dominated on the baseline and the low blocks to create space for his 3 point shot or the dribble drive from the wing. He's the kind of Forward that all of JB's Final Four teams have revolved around - Coleman, Wallace, Anthony . . . you can even go back to his assistant days and add Hackett to the list.

Other notables 'Cuse is interested in on ESPN's list:

• Knight #4
  • Harris #7
  • Zeigler #26
  • Desrosiers #75

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 14 August 2009 - 02:48 AM.

#56 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

Syracuse hosts College GameDay on Feb. 27, will play Villanova in Saturday Primetime game

http://www.espnmedia...010Schedule.htm

#57 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

This local kid is going to be a big time recruit: He's 15?

#58 LeftyTG

• 760 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Otto @ Aug 21 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just hope he stays home, the kid seems like he is going to be a monster. He was teammates with Triche last year - hopefully they have a good relationship.

#59 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

Apparently according to Scout, Tobias Harris has "narrowed" his list ... He eliminated UCLA, Virginia, Rutgers, Texas, Memphis and Florida. That leaves Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Tennessee. He will be setting up in-home visits with the remaining schools.

#60 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (Otto @ Aug 21 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coleman will be Syracuse's to lose, I'd bet money if he has the grades he comes to SU. I think its going to be really hard for any other school to pry him away from Syracuse. The kid is a physical specimen. He is the number one player in the 2012 class now and will end up being the #1 player.... He is SCARY good and he has a nice little touch to fifteen feet and great post moves. He is 6'8", 251 lbs. right now, and doctors project him to get to 7' or 7'1".

I had a chance to see Coleman play in sectionals this past season, and one thing that impressed me was his soft hands and good footwork. He was constantly active around the rim on both ends of the court, and he just dominated the game. Of course it helps that he had Triche getting him the ball, and of course Triche required a lot of the other team's attention as well. Nonetheless, He has a pretty good stroke from the stripe, at least in the games I saw. I'm gonna be sure to get up and watch more of his games this season. It'll be interesting to see how he does as the main guy on his team this year.

Obviously he's still really young, but I think he could be one of the biggest recruits we've ever gotten, if we get him......how many top 5 recruits do you get? And how often are they right in your backyard? I watched him play a few times and couldn't believe he's a freshman. Big body, good skills, good hands, and a nice shooting stroke. Usually big guys that age are raw, but he looked pretty polished. If he grows another few inches and doesn't get too heavy......look out. I think he could compete in D-1 right now.

It sounds like he likes SU, which is good. We've had a pretty good recent track record with getting basically every Upstate NY recruit we've wanted.....having Triche on board definitely helps.

#61 Rossox

• 1,554 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

What's with J-D suddenly becoming a SU hoops factory? Shesh.

#62 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9,333 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Tobias Harris will be stopping briefly in Syracuse this weekend (Sept. 12) during an eight-day eleven-school tour which begins today in Lexington at the University of Kentucky.

Harris, a 6-foot-8 forward, is the ninth-ranked overall prospect on scout.com.

http://blog.syracuse...hools_sche.html

According to the Post-Standard, here is what Harris’ eight-day tour will look like:

Wednesday, Sept. 9 — Kentucky
Thursday, Sept. 10 — Georgia Tech
Friday, Sept. 11 — Notre Dame
Saturday, Sept. 12 — Syracuse (noon)
Saturday, Sept. 12 — Connecticut (3 p.m.)
Saturday, Sept. 12 — Louisville (6 p.m.)
Sunday, Sept. 13 — St. John’s (3 p.m.)
Sunday, Sept. 13 — Tennessee (6 p.m.)
Monday, Sept. 14 — Oklahoma
Tuesday, Sept. 15 — West Virginia
Wednesday, Sept. 16 — Maryland

So this kid has his own private plane so he can visit all of these schools in this time frame?

Edited by Nuf Ced, 09 September 2009 - 11:56 AM.

#63 Rossox

• 1,554 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

Good question. Because he won't be able to make it to Storrs in less than 3 hours from Syracuse.

#64 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Fairly certain these visits are at his home. I think he is going to host the coaches and then winnow his list to 3 or 4 or so and then make visits

Edited by bsj, 09 September 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#65 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

Big East schedule was released today!

There's a bit more balance involved this year, thank the lord. There's no gauntlet like last year where it was enough to bring even the most hardened man to tears. We will remember it always for temporarily bruising our egos but ultimately preparing us for 6 OTs!

Monday, Nov. 9 -- Albany (ESPNU)
Wednesday, Nov. 11 -- Robert Morris (ESPNU)
Thursday, Nov. 19 -- vs. Cal (MSG, ESPN2)
Friday, Nov. 20 -- North Carolina or Ohio State (MSG, ESPN2)
Tuesday, Nov. 24 -- Cornell
Friday, Nov. 27 -- Columbia
Monday, Nov. 30 -- Colgate

Saturday, Dec. 5 -- Maine
Thursday, Dec. 10 -- Florida (Tampa, ESPN)
Sunday, Dec. 13 -- St. Francis (N.Y.)
Saturday, Dec. 19 -- St. Bonaventure
Tuesday, Dec. 22 -- Oakland
Tue., Dec. 29 -- at Seton Hall

Sat., Jan. 2 -- vs. Pittsburgh
Wed., Jan. 6 -- vs. Memphis
Sun., Jan. 10 -- vs. South Florida
Wed., Jan. 13 -- at Rutgers
Sat., Jan. 16 -- at West Virginia (ESPN)
Mon., Jan. 18 -- at Notre Dame (ESPN)
Sat., Jan. 23 -- vs. Marquette
Mon., Jan. 25 -- vs. Georgetown (ESPN)
Sat., Jan. 30 -- at DePaul

Tue., Feb. 2 -- vs. Providence
Sun., Feb. 7 -- at Cincinnati
Wed., Feb 10 -- vs. Connecticut (ESPN)
Sun., Feb. 14 -- vs. Louisville (ESPN)
Thur., Feb. 18 -- at Georgetown (ESPN/ESPN2)
Tue., 23 -- at Providence
Sat., Feb. 27 -- vs. Villanova (ESPN)

Tue., March 2 -- vs. St. John's
Sat., March 6 -- at Louisville (ESPN)

Some thoughts after the jump...

The toughest stretch of the season, February 10th - February 27th. The Orange will host UConn, host Louisville, @ Georgetown, @ Providence and host Villanova. Expect SU's Big East Tournament seeding to be made or broken here.

That UConn game will be the first time the two teams have faced off since, well...you know. Bring some signs.

January 25th. Georgetown. In the House. Circle it. Now.

#66 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

"Sometime this season, Boeheim said Anthony's jersey will be retired and raised to the rafters at the Carrier Dome. Boeheim is in the process of matching up schedules of the Nuggets and Syracuse to find a good date, and will talk to Anthony about it later this month.

"We retire jerseys, not numbers," said Boeheim of the school policy, but said it's unlikely any player at Syracuse ever again will wear Anthony's No. 15."

http://nba.fanhouse....-him-at-syracu/

#67 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

All word from the Tobias Harris camp has been that the in home visits went well, no matter who they are talking about except of course UConn because Calhoun bailedout at the last minute. They supposedly had a few in homes left this week (MD, Tenn, etc) and then they are supposed to narrow the list down to five before starting official school visits.

My guess is that the final five will be SU, Lville, Oklahoma, WVU and Kentucky.

#68 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Former Syracuse commit, UMass player, and current Binghamton player Tiki Mayben was arrested for possession of and intent to sell crack cocaine. UNLV East is right.

Edit for commit instead of signee.

Edited by RedOctober3829, 24 September 2009 - 11:16 AM.

#69 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Binghamton is UNLV East?

#70 Rudy's Curve

• 1,142 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (RedOctober3829 @ Sep 24 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Former Syracuse commit, UMass player, and current Binghamton player Tiki Mayben was arrested for possession of and intent to sell crack cocaine. UNLV East is right.

Edit for commit instead of signee.

A UConn fan shouldn't be allowed to talk about Memphis' record of player behavior, much less Syracuse.

#71 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Ribbon cutting of the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball center today and melo takes the official first shot.

http://summs.interne..... Ceremony.asx

#72 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Sep 15 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All word from the Tobias Harris camp has been that the in home visits went well, no matter who they are talking about except of course UConn because Calhoun bailedout at the last minute. They supposedly had a few in homes left this week (MD, Tenn, etc) and then they are supposed to narrow the list down to five before starting official school visits.

My guess is that the final five will be SU, Lville, Oklahoma, WVU and Kentucky.

Tobias' recruitment is still very much up in the air. That said, I think Syracuse is in good shape. I think it's going to come down to SU, WVU, UConn, Maryland and Kentucky.

Harris's dad says Louisville and Kentucky are 2 of the 5 schools he will officially visit. The other 3 will be named by the end of the week.

#73 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Otto @ Sep 24 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Binghamton is UNLV East?

Read this.

Recently the Binghamton basketball program has come under fire with The New York Post referring to it as “UNLV East” with the most famous examples being Miladin Kovacevic, a Serbian recruit who allegedly beat another student into a coma and fled the country after posting bail, and Malik Alvin, who was arrested trying to steal condoms from a Wal-Mart. Although we’re not sure how much lower you can go than having a player flee the country after posting bail, Mayben’s arrest is yet another black eye for a Binghamton program that had just started to make people like Tony Kornheiser proud for their play on the court.

This is another good read from the NYT from last winter. They continue to bring in players from other programs that are troubled and it bit them in the ass again.

I'm not calling out Syracuse at all. Just a 'Cuse connection. He couldn't qualify academically to get in.

Link

#74 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, I was unaware of their recent problems.

#75 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

WROTEN LIKES ‘CUSE

Seattle (Wash.) Garfield 2011 point guard Tony Wroten says he has a favorite school.

“Syracuse,” Wroten wrote in a text.

The No. 2 point guard in the Class of 2011 is also being courted by Villanova, Louisville, St. John’s and Seton Hall in the Big East and Grambling, Southern and Florida A&M outside of it.

http://www.zagsblog....ols/#more-21968

with a stacked 2010 class, now a #2 pg preferring us (from across the country!) for 2011. It seems like we've suddenly moved up into the top tier as far as recruiting goes. Not just the guys we've gotten committs from but the names we are involved with in general. Suddenly we are all over 5star top 20 recruits everywhere you look and I don't ever remember things being like that before. The 6OT game may have done more for recruiting than any game we've ever played. Melo center will rival and does rival (since almost done) any facility across the country. One gets to train in an amazing facility and play in one of the most unique college bball stadiums in the country (for uniqueness only memorial gym @ Vandy might match), in front of the largest crowds each yr.

-the big press with Flynn in draft helps
-having 2 assistants that recruits relate too (Hopkins and Murphy) along with Jimmy B and one of the all time great assistants in Fine (and known for working with bigs which I think could have helped with Fab Melo)-this staff is the strongest it has been for recruiting in a long while
-Winning a national championship when these kids were in Elementary and Middle school (so when started following bball) helps
-The dominance of the big east helps
-The output of first rounders in the last 2 drafts helps

PS. Hop and Boeheim were in the miami area last night for an in home with knight (#1 overall player in 2010)... we are in his top 6 and he's said he wants to visit the dome.

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 24 September 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#76 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (RedOctober3829 @ Sep 24 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read this.

This is another good read from the NYT from last winter. They continue to bring in players from other programs that are troubled and it bit them in the ass again.

I'm not calling out Syracuse at all. Just a 'Cuse connection. He couldn't qualify academically to get in.

Link

I'm not doubting Tiki's talent coming out of HS, but wanted to add that he was an absolute stud as a freshman. I believe he may have been rated one of the best best players in the nation or top 10ish. I don't think he developed as much as was expected from then til the end of HS. Add to that all the off-court issues and attitude problems with coaches and his ranking dropped quite a bit.

Kinda peaked too early and wasn't mature enough to handle the attention and hype. Sad story.

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 25 September 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#77 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,033 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Sep 25 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not doubting Tiki's talent coming out of HS, but wanted to add that he was an absolute stud as a freshman. I believe he may have been rated one of the best best players in the nation or top 10ish. I don't think he developed as much as was expected from then til the end of HS. Add to that all the off-court issues and attitude problems with coaches and his ranking dropped quite a bit.

Kinda peaked too early and wasn't mature enough to handle the attention and hype. Sad story.

He was the #1 recruit in the country when he was 14 or 15. Simply put, he did not develop from that point on. Combine that with his stellar academic record and awesome attitude and his stock plummeted. I don't feel sorry for the kid. He chose to deal crack cocaine and got caught.

#78 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Top basketball recruit Tobias Harris will be making a visit to Syracuse University this weekend.

http://www.syracuse....uit_tobias.html

#79 Rossox

• 1,554 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

Nice, needed some good news tonight. He should hopefully see a W over the Black Bears as well while he's in town. Man, the 2010 class could be sick.

#80 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

On Friday night, Torrel Harris issued a statement that pared the schools under consideration to these seven: Syracuse, Louisville, Kentucky, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Maryland

Weird that UConn didnt make the cut, yet he waited on them

#81 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Rossox @ Sep 25 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice, needed some good news tonight. He should hopefully see a W over the Black Bears as well while he's in town. Man, the 2010 class could be sick.

Take this with a grain of salt but Tobias is already ours per a source of mine in the athletic department, he just has to come visit to sign the dotted line and wait for clearinghouse before the team makes it official. Didn't want to be the 1st one to report this, but now that its already out there on the blog, I felt it would be appropriate to say the rest, lol.

Apparently we have also impressed Brandon Knight, he will be taking a visit at some point next week as well. All this, combined with the Melo Center opening, this has the potential to be a great week for the team as they get closer to practices and the season. We were the last official he scheduled thus far, and he's coming here 1st. Its one of those sneak him in, get him signed before anyone even notices jobs.

I think players taking visits after the Melo Center opening is their way of saying "We would believe it when we see it", and now that it is open they will see the best off the court center, plus the largest arena for basketball in the country(on campus).

Either 1 of them makes the class #1, and puts us at top #15 automatically just because of how big and good the class could be.

#82 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Sep 26 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take this with a grain of salt but Tobias is already ours per a source of mine in the athletic department, he just has to come visit to sign the dotted line and wait for clearinghouse before the team makes it official. Didn't want to be the 1st one to report this, but now that its already out there on the blog, I felt it would be appropriate to say the rest, lol.

Apparently we have also impressed Brandon Knight, he will be taking a visit at some point next week as well. All this, combined with the Melo Center opening, this has the potential to be a great week for the team as they get closer to practices and the season. We were the last official he scheduled thus far, and he's coming here 1st. Its one of those sneak him in, get him signed before anyone even notices jobs.

I think players taking visits after the Melo Center opening is their way of saying "We would believe it when we see it", and now that it is open they will see the best off the court center, plus the largest arena for basketball in the country(on campus).

Either 1 of them makes the class #1, and puts us at top #15 automatically just because of how big and good the class could be.

I hope you are right that he will choose Syracuse, but the early signing period this year runs from 11/11/09 to 11/18/09, so he can't sign on any dotted line this weekend.

#83 LeftyTG

• 760 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

could Syracuse even sign both Harris and Knight? They already have 4 guys coming in the class of 2010 (Waiters, Fair, Melo, Keita). I thought you could only bring in 5 guys max per class? In any event, it is good to have so much highly regarded talent both committed and interested, but they are going to have a major talent crunch in the coming years, especially in the front court if Harris does end up committing. Not a bad problem to have, but it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

#84 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (LeftyTG @ Sep 26 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could Syracuse even sign both Harris and Knight? They already have 4 guys coming in the class of 2010 (Waiters, Fair, Melo, Keita). I thought you could only bring in 5 guys max per class? In any event, it is good to have so much highly regarded talent both committed and interested, but they are going to have a major talent crunch in the coming years, especially in the front court if Harris does end up committing. Not a bad problem to have, but it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

You can bring in as many players as you want as long as it fulfills the scholarship requirements. If 7 guys leave, you bring in 7 guys to fill the spots.

#85 LeftyTG

• 760 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (RedOctober3829 @ Sep 26 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can bring in as many players as you want as long as it fulfills the scholarship requirements. If 7 guys leave, you bring in 7 guys to fill the spots.

you're right. I looked it up - the NCAA repealed the 5/8 rule (which is what I had in mind) in 2004.

#86 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Talked to my source again today...

Said Tobias looked like he enjoyed himself this weekend. The fact that they had to stay in due to the weather (raining all weeked)probably didn't help, but nevertheless he seemed to be having fun. Apparently he also participated in a team scrimmage on Sunday and had several informal meetings with the coaches in the two days he was here, including dinner at JB's house before going to the football game on Saturday.

He apologized for exaggerating about Tobias's status as far as him being "already ours" as well. Said the coaches feel confident he will ultimately end up here, but the process is also nowhere near over. He will be visiting UK on Midnight Madness and will also be visiting Louisville within the next two weeks, and he probably wont be making anything official till after he takes all of his officials.

He also finished with this quote:

"Overall though, there is a reason to be excited regarding Tobias Harris. We were a top 5 school of his before the visit, and I can only imagine by the way he seemed to be enjoying himself, that we helped our cause even more this weekend."

So, sorry to give you guys too much false hope. Once again though I do not work for the team, I just have a few friends that do, and they're the ones I get my info from. IOTW: Don't shoot the messenger! lol

#87 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

Josh Selby cuts list to Six Schools and we are one of them.

http://www.zagsblog....ist/#more-22493

Josh Selby has cut his list to six schools.

Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky, Miami, Indiana and Baylor remain in contention for the 6-foot-1, 180-pound guard from Baltimore Lake Clifton who decommitted from Tennessee over the summer.

UConn, which hosted Selby on his first official visit after he decommitted, did not make the cut. Neither did Texas, Oregon or Florida State, which all had in-homes.

“We sat down as a family and discussed all the schools that were recruiting Josh,” Maeshon Witherspoon, Selby’s mother, wrote in a text. “We evaulated every school in depth and composed a list of schools we wanted to further explore.
“We feel as a family we would like to thank all the schools for taking the time to get to know Josh and his family. Every one of these schools has something special to offer any of these young men. The staffs have been great and we think we have selected the ones who fit Josh the best.

“We wish all these schools well. We know now here comes the hard part.”

Witherspoon previously said she and Josh plan to follow all of the teams they’re considering through the season and see how they progress before making a decision.

“We’re going to sit back and see how most of the teams’ seasons play out,” she said.

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter.

#88 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

Syracuse once again ALMOST plays the part of a legit D-1 power.

They made a big deal of moving Midnight Madness to the Carrier Dome from Manley Field House.

They scheduled it to begin at 8pm (It ended at about 10:30pm...an hour and a half before teams can officially start practicing, and an hour and a half before the big schools STARTED their Midnight Madness).

#89 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

First basketball practice. Love the intensity of Hop. Nice to see the guys gettin after it.

http://videos.syracu...ns_baske_1.html

Early on, I'm saying Triche and Southerland are going to be the 2 key players for us this season.

I think everyone can agree that the starting line up is going to be Onuaku, Jackson, Johnson, Rautins and Triche or Jardine.

Assuming this is our team, I see 3 glaring weaknesses.

#1 - Jackson is not quick enough to play the 4 for 30 minutes a game against every team we are going to go up against this year. We are going to need another legitimate forward who can step up and play big minutes at some point.

#2 - What happens to our O when Rautins has an off night shooting? Do we have anybody else who can make opposing teams pay from deep if they zone us?

#3 - How do we close out games? Late in games (when the ball cant go down low to AO or Jackson because they will be intentionally fouled) and the opposition is playing really tough D, who is going to break that D down and score the difficult points?

We need to find a way to answer these 3 questions if we are going to be a good team. If you notice, problems 1 and 2 can both be solved with a forward who is a threat from deep. We happen to have two of those guys on our roster, Jones and Sutherland (Joseph can also solve problem #1 if he develops). I got to see all three of those guys play more than once in high school (and obviously in the case of Joseph and Jones, more than once playing for SU). From what I have seen I would rank Southerland as the best of the three, Joseph as the second best, and Jones as a distant third, and I have thought this since they were all in high school.

Considering the fact that Southerland is potentially our best reserve forward, and he has the exact skills we need both defensively (the ability to cover the wings on the back end of the zone) and offensively (the ability to stretch the D by hitting 3's) he could play as much as 30 minutes a game if he is up to the challenge. I bet most people are surprised to hear that, but Southerland could essentially be our 6th starter if he is up to it . . . and in fact our team will only reach its potential if Southerland is capable of playing big time productive minutes.

The answer to problem #3 is a little harder. The easy answer is Johnson can fill the role of late game scorer, and as good as most think he is, I dont think he will be able to do it all on his own late in games without big time help from the point position. This is where Triche comes into play. First let me say that Jardine is better than most give him credit for. He's a big guard who is excellent defensively and an excellent passer. He is capable offensively although somewhat limited. Remember when he played as a freshman he was forced to play off the ball alongside Flynn. Give him the ball and let him run the show and he's going to be a lot better than most remember. My point is this, if Triche is going to start ahead of Jardine and earn big minutes it will mean that he's a heck of a player, because Jardine is going to be a lot better than your typical freshman point guard.

Triche himself is one of the most enigmatic recruits I have seen in a long time. I was the first on his bandwagon his freshman year in high school, and also one of the first off the bandwagon when he got injured. From what I saw he never fully regained his quickness and even late in his senior year when they won a state title he still seemed to struggle with smaller quicker guards.

Triche does, however, bring two elite skills to the table. First, he will be the best passing guard we have had in a long time. Wait until you see him in transition, he's remarkable. Even though he's not nearly as quick as Flynn he's much better in transition because he's bigger, stronger and a better passer (and I think we all remember that Flynn was far from shabby in transition). Second, when he can get to the basket he's the strongest finisher I have ever seen for a point guard. If he can get to the basket he will score, period, it will be an "and one" bonanza.

The only thing that will hold Triche back will be the inability to shake good pressure D. I'm just not sure he's got the quickness anymore. If he's a turnover machine who cant break down the D with his dribble he's all but useless to us late in the game when we are potentially going to struggle a lot. However, if he can deal with the speed of the college game, and get into the lane regularly, he can be as good as any point guard in the country, he's got all the other skills.

All I know is this, if we are going to be a really good team this year we are going to need MAJOR contributions from two low rated and lightly regarded recruits (at least by SU's current standards). I think we have all heard the reasons why both of these guys were rated too low by the "experts" and those reasons are valid, but I'll say this, neither one is a 100% cant miss prospect the way Melo was or the way Flynn was, and that's scary to me.

I see SU going as far as Triche and Sutherland take them. We've got some great known qualities on our team, but the guys we have are lacking in a few area's. Triche and Sutherland have the potential to give us what we need, and the more PT they earn early (even if it means a few early losses . . . which I do see in our future) the better it will be for SU come March.

Feels good to write an in-depth basketball report again.

#90 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

First Exhibition Game in 10 or so more hours. Game will be on at 2 PM on SNY. I was told earlier that Boeheim has penciled in Scoop as the starting PG... He will have his name announced along with fellow starters Andy Rautins, Wesley Johnson, Rick Jackson, and Arinze Onuaku this afternoon.

For all of you worried about the Orange, the general message of the coaches: Syracuse will be pretty good this year.

John Thompson III, Georgetown

“I see a whole lot coming back that I think a lot of people have forgotten about. When you look at Rautins coming back and Scoop coming back and you have the transfer who everyone is saying is terrific coming in and so it’s easy to dwell on who they lost and they lost a lot, but I think Jim will be OK up there.”

Buzz Williams, Marquette

“Well I think Wesley Johnson is one of the best players in the league and he’s yet to play a game. I think having been there a year and went through all of the practices will allow him to have an impact immediately. I think Rautins never gets the respect he deserves, nor does the big kid. He’s so massive and he allows guys to get open shots. I think Wesley because he’s such a slasher will allow Rautins to get open shots and I think Scoop hasn’t got the recognition he dersves but I think that’s coming this year.”

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati

“Replacing Jonny Flynn is the biggest question, arguably the best guard in college basketball last year he would have got my vote as far as winning impact on his team most clearly the most valuable player in the country. I don’t know who won the Wooden Award and stuff but nobody played 40 minutes a game like him. Replacing him is a challenge but they always do it.”

Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh

“I remember when we started out here at Pitt 11 years ago and I was always amazed how every year they talked about how Syracuse lost a couple guys and they are going to be down and it seemed every year Coach Boeheim had a guy that hadn’t played much and averaged a couple points a game and all of a sudden had made dramatic strides and that really resonated to me because that was how they were able to sustain their program. I think they are going to have somebody, obviously Johnson’s the kid they are talking about because he redshirt and sat down and produced in a major conference but they’ll have a guy that just is there and kind of like we will, a guy that was there and was just playing behind a really good player.”

Norm Roberts, St. John’s

“They reload, they just reload. Obviously Wesley Johnson who I haven’t seen play but is obviously a terrific player and a guy who can score and they’ve said good things about him. Obviously having Rautins back he can really shoot the basketball and score and then Scoop was out and now they have him back and Arinze was as tough a guy inside as there is and he was very very tough to guard. They’ve got a lot of good pieces, they have a chance to be real good.”

Jay Wright, Villanova

“One of the things I haven’t been asked is what makes Jim Boeheim a great coach and I think if you look a coach’s responsibility is to take the players you have and take the circumstances that hit you through a season and make the best team out of it and have the best season you can. There is no one in college basketball, no one, that has done that better than him. 30 20-win seasons. Not Dean Smith, not Bobby Knight did that, so you’ve got the best guy ever in the history of college basketball who has proven he can lose three scorers, who’s better at putting a team together and wining 20 games than Jim Boeheim? There is nobody better than him so I just expect him to find a way to put that team together. I know they got a great transfer from Iowa State, we tried to recruit him. I think Jackson coming back, Onuaku coming back, you got two great front-court players big-time front-court players and I like Triche, Scoop. I don’t hear people talk about Scoop Jardine he’s from Philly, he’s a hell of player they’re going to have a hell of a team.”

Jerry Wainwright, DePaul

“Well for most it would be almost impossible to overcome but first people have no idea how good Wes Johnson is. I’ve seen him play and I loved him when he was in high school and I loved him when he was at Iowa State and I think he will have an unbelievable impact on their team and on the league and I think Andy Rautins is a really classy kid and a very good player. Jonny Flynn was special and whatever you want to say about Devendorf he was a great gamer and could really score but they have great great depth and strength in their front line and if they get any maturity in their front line they’ll be a factor in every game they play.”

Mike Brey, Notre Dame

“Yeah I think they’ll be really good defensively. I think that zone is going to be shades of previous years where there is length in every position and I have a feeling they will figure it out offensively, Jim always does that but I do think their zone is going to be much harder to attack. It’s going to be a longer zone with their lengthy guys they have eligible.”

Rick Pitino, Louisville

“I Think they’re like us. I think they’re like Connecticut and Pittsburgh. I think they are going to come a little closer to the middle because of the great players they’ve lost but they still have enough talent back to make the tournament and be very good come tournament time and they have a young man sitting out from Iowa State and from what Jim tells me is outstanding and with the players they have coming back, they can be every bit as good as last year.”

#91 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Now that was a Division 2 team. But...

Syracuse won 97-54 but looked very strong. Deep. All ten players contributed. Very good defensive effort. Strong on the boards.

Scoop and Southereland stood out. Scoop had a double double may be the PG to go with for the majority of the minutes. His numbers were very impressive, especially for his first game in a year. I mean, 10 points, 11 assists and 0 TOs? I'd be happy if he consistently put up just half that.

Southerland. Wow. The guy was in the zone. He even knocked down that off balance, one-handed shot close to the basket. He definitely came out and made an incredible first impression, and it looks like he'll be our second 3-point shooter to compliment Rautins. That makes me feel a million times better because I was really worried what this team would do if they needed a 3 and Rautins was ice cold (like today). Considering how the fans love their 3-point shooters, I can see this guy fast becoming a fan favorite very quickly.

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 26 October 2009 - 02:37 AM.

#92 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

It's too quiet so I'm going to go a little more in depth.

Throughout the year there will be a lot of people wondering what could have been if Flynn, Devendorf and Harris had stayed. But for this one game (and the next) at least, its so much better that they left. If everyone had returned we’d have a rock solid line up of seven guys, with Flynn, Devendorf, Rautins, Harris, Johnson, Jackson, Onuaku taking the vast majority of the minutes, and few to no questions to answer in the preseason. As things stand now, these preseason games are tremendously important and informative for the fans. Its great to see.

Here are the questions I was looking to answer, or at least partially answer, while watching the game today.

Who will start?

Answer: Everybody we thought would start, plus Triche.

How will Triche do handling the ball & can he get into the lane easily?

Answer: He did a great job taking care of the ball, his lack of quickness only getting him into trouble once the entire game (which is great for a Freshman playing his first exhibition). Triche scored the first 4 points of the game, one off a beautiful bank, and the next by powering his way to the hoop in transition. He showed clearly in this game that he’s probably going to be what I have predicted he will be, the best transition point guard we have had since Douglas.

The negative is that he never seemed to break his man down off the dribble in the half court which is something we desperately need. He seems to have been told by Boeheim to play conservatively and smart and limit mistakes, which is exactly what he did.

I’d give him an 8 out of 10 for his performance. Spectacular in transition and reliablie in the half court.

How will the year off and the improved physical condition affect Jardine’s play?

Answer: Positively! Actually being the man with the ball in his hands and not having to play off the ball next to Flynn is the biggest reason Jardine was able to shine. He looked great on D, and great in the half court set. Beating his man off the dribble at will and doing the thing I think all point guards should look to do first, drive and dish. Was far and away the best player today.

Will Rautins show more than just a jump shot on offense?

Answer: What I really want to see from him is a pull up jumper and he did it once during the game . . . successfully. Looked great on D and comfortable with the ball in his hands. Don’t worry about the missed 3’s even a little bit, he’s proven that his concentration is not there against the cupcakes but always there when it matters.

Remember last year Rautins 3 point percentage was in the teens against the cupcakes, but jumped to over 40% for the rest of the year when it mattered against the tough competition.

What’s the deal with Johnson?

Answer: Looked amazing on D and pedestrian on O. He is going to be one hell of a fit on the back end of the 2-3, he was aggressive and effective back there. On O he is limited. I understand why his shooting percentage was so low at Iowa St. He’s a jump shooter, and does not seem to have much else in his arsenal other than garbage points (which I don’t want to discount, they are important too). When his shot is falling he will score a lot, when its not he won’t. Those that were expecting a one and done All Big East type player will be disappointed.

Is Rick Jackson ready to take a bigger role in the offense?

Answer: Looked good today, mostly because he’s a good player. But his lack of athleticism keeps his ceiling somewhat low. He’s going to be the same reliable if unspectacular defensive and offensive player you remember from last year.

What kind of shape is Arinze in?

Answer: Fantastic shape! Looked a little rusty, but not nearly as rusty as I expected after not playing any ball all summer long. If he stays healthy he (not Jackson) will be our number one option down low, and he will be our number one offensive option overall.

Is Joseph ready to contribute in a big way this year?

Answer: Offensively, probably not, but defensively yes. Looked like a presence at the bottom of the 2-3 zone, much better than last year. If he can score at all it will be hard to keep him on the bench with everything else he does well. Today he scored.

Ditto Southerland?

Answer: Everybody’s going to be talking about his 5 for 5 from three display, but I cant help but think he wasted a few makes in a game that doesn’t count. The impressive thing was that he found open spots on the floor and never forced anything. That is what’s going to get Southerland playing time. If he can go 2 for 5 on a regular occasion he will see a lot of court time because we are going to need his offense.

Ditto Jones?

Answer: Jones looked much better than I expected. He looked comfortable with the ball in his hands and has stopped forcing shots. If he keeps it up he will be good enough to contribute down the road, but at the same time the Inn is looking rather full at the moment.

Dotto Riley?

Answer: Contrary to reports, Riley did some good things offensively, but looked ineffective defensively and on the boards. He needs to get quite a bit stronger before he earns any meaningful playing time. He may get a red shirt if Boeheim really likes him, but with Melo coming in and then Coleman (hopefully) I don’t know how likely Boeheim is to use another scholly on a guy who could be a career back up.

Sounds negative, but for a young big guy that is actually a positive review. They start slow.

Rank 7 of 10

Overall Impressions:

The game went as smoothly as I’ve ever seen any exhibition game go. Everybody, 1 through 10 showed what they can do.

We are going to be a good defensive team this year, and a good rebounding team. We are also going to take good care of the ball and probably be a very good outside shooting team. What we are not going to be is an explosive offensive team, and quite frankly, I’d trade all those other things for an explosive offense in a heartbeat.

We’ve got a lot of good players on this team, but no great player. I think we may be a great player away from being really special. But at the very least this team will not frustrate you the way some other teams can. They should take good care of the ball and play really strong intimidating, classic Big East basketball. And that’s fun to watch (at least for me).

When things are going well our D is going to lead to transition points for guys like Triche and Johnson. In other words “D is the Key” this year.

In between transition points we are going to need Southerland, Rautins and Johnson to hit from the outside and Arinze and Rick to dominate down low.

Big time battles to watch:

Triche vs. Scoop – Whether its feeding the post or driving and dishing, Scoop is the best we have at getting the ball to our bigs in good position, and that is going to make Onuaku, Jackson and Johnson (possibly our 3 leading scorers) a lot better. On the other hand, we are going to need to score in transition and that is what Triche does best. Boeheim has two halves of a whole star on his hands in this one. He’s going to have to monitor their playing time very closely to get the optimum results out of this tandem. Right now how it will shake out is still anybodies guess.

Joseph vs. Southerland – Joseph’s ball handling can take some pressure off Triche and Jardine which is definitely a good thing for us. His D looked top notch. How to balance that against Southerland’s ability to put the ball in the basket? Again a tough call for Boeheim that does not have any resolution, yet

#93 LeftyTG

• 760 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hey Youk - I know you mentioned it has been quiet here, but know that I've been reading your posts and appreciate your passion for SU basketball and that you take the time to write out thoughtful posts. I haven't posted a lot because I haven't actually seen any of the action so far. From what I can gather, you are a student currently at SU? And you seem to have friends within the program? I ask because I'm wondering if you are basing your conclusions in the previous post on just watching 1 scrimmage against a vastly inferior opponent, or have you been watching practices and getting impressions from other people close to the program?

As for the scrimmage, I'm happy to see the good result, but I'm really not sure how much can be taken from it. I'm glad to see Scoop and Triche put up numbers with no turnovers, but I'd be pretty disappointed/worried if these guys were getting forced into mistakes by a D.2 team. I like Triche, and I think he will be a very good 4 year player for the program. I've never seen him play (outside of a few youtube clips) but I imagine he will be in the mold of a Lazarus Sims - not a burner, but someone with a big body and high basketball IQ who knows how to use it. Still, I think he is going to need time to acclimate to the speed of BE basketball. I think it is likely that he will struggle offensively against quicker guys.

I think this team has a good chance to be a monster defensively. The SU zone has worked best with length down low and big guards. In that respect, Flynn wasn't a good fit defensively with what SU likes to do. Because of the zone, Flynn wasn't really able to get out and put pressure on the ball (which was his strength), and because he is small, he wasn't able to effectively recover and get out to contest the three pointer. Both Jardine and Triche (especially) will make the top of the zone longer. Rautins also provides length and is a smart defender who understands angle and passing lanes. He'll be much better than Devo. Down low, it seems to take big men some time to fully understand the rotations, when to step up, when to extend, etc. I like the experience back there with AO and Jackson in the middle. Joseph/Johnson/Southerland are long armed and should be able to make it hard to penetrate the zone with passes.

Offensively, I do think this team will be vulnerable to teams that can really dig in in the half court and pressure you. I think the team will have a hard time initiating offense in such a scenerio, and could have difficulty getting the ball down low to AO and Jackson. I also hope that at some point in the rehab process AO found time to work on his passing out of the post. Last year at times he'd get double teamed and not do well passing out of it.

We are going to be a good defensive team this year, and a good rebounding team. We are also going to take good care of the ball and probably be a very good outside shooting team. What we are not going to be is an explosive offensive team, and quite frankly, I’d trade all those other things for an explosive offense in a heartbeat

I agree with all this, except for the last sentence. I'm really looking forward to a team that puts up a consistent effort on D and takes care of the ball. For all the explosiveness of Flynn, Greene, and Harris they were both inconsistent in their intensity and focus. While you can't really expect a mature approach from freshmen (and, to lesser degree, sophomores - though Harris last year was inexcusable in my book), I do believe they, to a large extent, believed their own hype and didn't always have the proper focus and respect for opponents. In that respect, I do expect, and hope, that this year's team will be more mature.

#94 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

yes, I'm a broadcast journalism major in Newhouse and I do pre and post game shows for both football and basketball and write for the D.O., so I interview all the players and coaches on a regular basis, whether that is in the locker room, at the Melo center, or at press conferences. I'm also really good friends with most of the team managers.

Anyways, although it was a D-2 team and exhibition I still take it as a positive when both PGs have zero turnovers and one has 11 assists. Look at some of the games early on last year against weak opponents. In the first two games Devo had 6 and 7 turnovers. Flynn even had some 4-5 turnover games against weaker opponents. So the fact that these guys had none is still good. Point is Flynn was great and Devo was good but they turned the ball over way too much even against weaker competition.

It's a positive that Jardine came in and had zero TOs even if it was against a weaker team.

Now if we're looking at Scoop vs Triche here's my take:

Obviously Jardine looked better against Cal St. La than Triche did, but dont sleep on Triche. He played extremely well for his first game.

Flynn, in his first exhibition had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Jardine couldn't even bring the ball past half court against LeMoyne's pressure. By mid season both had acclimated themselves to Big East play and were starters. My point is this, a freshman point guard can improve a lot in a relatively short time.

Jardine is definitely better than Triche right now . . . but Boeheim chose to start Triche. Why do you think that is? My guess is he expects Triche will be pretty damn good in a month or two and wants to give him every opportunity to get there.

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 27 October 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#95 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Oct 27 2009, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, I'm a broadcast journalism major in Newhouse and I do pre and post game shows for both football and basketball and write for the D.O., so I interview all the players and coaches on a regular basis, whether that is in the locker room, at the Melo center, or at press conferences. I'm also really good friends with most of the team managers.

Anyways, although it was a D-2 team and exhibition I still take it as a positive when both PGs have zero turnovers and one has 11 assists. Look at some of the games early on last year against weak opponents. In the first two games Devo had 6 and 7 turnovers. Flynn even had some 4-5 turnover games against weaker opponents. So the fact that these guys had none is still good. Point is Flynn was great and Devo was good but they turned the ball over way too much even against weaker competition.

It's a positive that Jardine came in and had zero TOs even if it was against a weaker team.

Now if we're looking at Scoop vs Triche here's my take:

Obviously Jardine looked better against Cal St. La than Triche did, but dont sleep on Triche. He played extremely well for his first game.

Flynn, in his first exhibition had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Jardine couldn't even bring the ball past half court against LeMoyne's pressure. By mid season both had acclimated themselves to Big East play and were starters. My point is this, a freshman point guard can improve a lot in a relatively short time.

Jardine is definitely better than Triche right now . . . but Boeheim chose to start Triche. Why do you think that is? My guess is he expects Triche will be pretty damn good in a month or two and wants to give him every opportunity to get there.

Jardine is what he is. Triche, if given the chance to develop against these early season cupcakes, may be much much better by season's end.

#96 Otto

• 1,665 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (bsj @ Oct 27 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jardine is what he is. Triche, if given the chance to develop against these early season cupcakes, may be much much better by season's end.

Jardine has played one season of college basketball, as a true freshman. I'm a BIG fan of Triche and I like his potential, but lets not sleep on Jardine. He's very important to this team and to think we've seen everything he's got is foolish. He's smart and he's quick, and he's tough to keep out of the lane. If he can shoot a little, which is not his strength, he's a tough cover. He's also a very good defender who works hard and gets loose balls and deflections. He can also take it from guys off the bounce. He's also gutsy - when there is 1:20 on the clock in a close game on the road, he's not going to hesitate or miss a beat.

Youk - I definitely appreciate your contributions, but I'll disagree with the quick judgment on Johnson. He's much more than a jump shooter. He can put the ball on the floor and slash, and he can elevate and finish. If he didn't show it the other night, I expect you'll see it soon.

#97 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Otto @ Oct 27 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jardine has played one season of college basketball, as a true freshman. I'm a BIG fan of Triche and I like his potential, but lets not sleep on Jardine. He's very important to this team and to think we've seen everything he's got is foolish. He's smart and he's quick, and he's tough to keep out of the lane. If he can shoot a little, which is not his strength, he's a tough cover. He's also a very good defender who works hard and gets loose balls and deflections. He can also take it from guys off the bounce. He's also gutsy - when there is 1:20 on the clock in a close game on the road, he's not going to hesitate or miss a beat.

Youk - I definitely appreciate your contributions, but I'll disagree with the quick judgment on Johnson. He's much more than a jump shooter. He can put the ball on the floor and slash, and he can elevate and finish. If he didn't show it the other night, I expect you'll see it soon.

I didnt mean to disparage Jardine...I think he can be a good college player. Its more about where the staff thinks Triche can get, and how quickly they think he can get there.

#98 Youk of the Nation

• 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Cuse comes in at 25th in Coaches poll, and 31st in AP.

Im surprised were 25th in coaches. Losing what we did it amazes me that anyone would rank us. Shows the stature of the program, and the coach. The team is unproven. Re: the AP - Not much respect for a team that lost 3 starters and will be an underdog in 2 of its first 4 games (Cal ranked 12, UNC ranked 4, Ohio St. ranked 17).

I have to admit though, I have no idea what everybody sees in Louisville to rank them ahead of Cuse. Big question for them is what do they have at the forwards especially when they ran 90% of their offense through Clark and Williams last year and if you remember they struggled early last season untill they started running offense through those two and the year before they struggled mightily without Padget to run the offense through. So even though they look pretty strong at the guard position I have no reason to beleive that Smith, Sosa and Knowles can effectively run the offense. Siva might be the answer but he is a freshman. Who do they have at the forward positions? Delk, Swoopshire, Kurac?

Edited by Youk of the Nation, 29 October 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#99 Izzy Alcantara

• 302 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Youk of the Nation @ Oct 29 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who do they have at the forward positions? Delk, Swoopshire, Kurac?

Louisville returns sophomore Samardo Samuels, a former McDonalds All-American, at the forward spot and he will most likely be the teams top scorer/rebounder. Averaged 12/5 last year. Terrence Jennings will probably get a lot of minutes as well.

Edited by Izzy Alcantara, 29 October 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#100 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,468 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Im surprised that, given how good the reports are, we arent a little higher...