Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

UConn basketball: Allegations of Major NCAA Violations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Let's put all related issues to allegations regarding the UConn men's program here and not keep polluting the original UConn thread. Dopes, can you move all related posts over to this thread?

Pat Forde just went on ESPN and said prized recruit Ater Majok is tied to Josh Nochimson. He got Majok into an all-star game in Louisville, got him hotels, and arranged his high school coach to be an assistant coach in the game.

#2 cgp71

• 267 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I caught the tail end of one of UCONN stories on SportsTalk Radio today, is Nochimson the same agent that allegedly stole 1.5 million from Richard Hamilton?

#3 JBill

• 1929 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I caught the tail end of one of UCONN stories on SportsTalk Radio today, is Nochimson the same agent that allegedly stole 1.5 million from Richard Hamilton?

Yes, same guy.

#4 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15150 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Pat Forde just went on ESPN and said prized recruit Ater Majok is tied to Josh Nochimson. He got Majok into an all-star game in Louisville, got him hotels, and arranged his high school coach to be an assistant coach in the game.

Wow. This widens things a bit, I would think. Who knows how many recruits the coaching staff has been funneling through Nochimson?

#5 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8189 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

The difference between programs that succeed without scandals like this (Duke, UNC, etc) is simply a matter of effort. It is possible to succeed without cheating, but requires a lot of work. This is simply a lazy shortcut to acquiring players.

No different than steroids, really. You work your ass off in the weight room, you can put on muscle.....or you can take the cheap, easy way out and buy some drugs (i.e. pay some agents).

Classy, really.

Edited by DukeSox, 25 March 2009 - 08:39 PM.

#6 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

The difference between programs that succeed without scandals like this (Duke, UNC, etc) is simply a matter of effort. It is possible to succeed without cheating, but requires a lot of work. This is simply a lazy shortcut to acquiring players.

No different than steroids, really. You work your ass off in the weight room, you can put on muscle.....or you can take the cheap, easy way out and buy some drugs (i.e. pay some agents).

Classy, really.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Or Myron Piggie is easily forgotten.

At this point it's too early to condemn anyone.

#7 StuckOnYouk

• 2011 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Classy, really.

Really? You really think that Coach K works harder to bring in his top recruits than Calhoun has to? How many college athletes want to play in a place that doesn't get any warmer than 30 degrees from late October to March and resides on a cow pasture with absolutely nothing remotely near it of interest?

I think it's the other way around. Why would an athlete pick Storrs, CT over a warmer and more developed, exciting area like NC? Seems to me Coach K and Williams have more of a pick of the litter than Calhoun ever has. Those places have been college hoops hotbeds forever.

#8 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1477 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

It's pretty clearly sarcasm.

I think it's pretty likely UConn gets hit with a sentence of 2-3 years probation. I don't think they lose scholarships because it's a first offense on the telephone calls.

The key for UConn will be to show that Nichomson was not an agent on the university, just Miles. Contact with Nichomson is not illegal if they can find some way to show that he was not acting on UConn's behalf. Easier said than done, of course - especially with the Majok story coming out.

Edited by SoxFan58, 25 March 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#9 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Classy, really.

You can't be serious with this post. Every single school does the same things UConn got caught for. No high-major runs a scot-free program you can be sure of that. Many coaches(including some in the ACC) are in contact with runners, agents, and AAU coaches to get players. Get off your high horse and realize that no one is above the fray. Calhoun has had one violation in his tenure at UConn and has built the program up from scratch. You can be sure he will survive this bump in the road and that the program will continue to have great success. The university seems to have been cooperative with everything that Yahoo sports did with their investigation and there are no allegations of a cover up ala Kelvin Sampson.

For every recruit with questionable character they have recruited(Miles, Butler, El-Amin) I can name many more solid citizens(Cliff Robinson, Hamilton, Allen, Okafor, Kevin Freeman, Jeff Adrien, Doron Sheffer, Kevin Ollie, Ricky Moore, etc.). Please don't ever insinuate that Jim Calhoun doesn't put in the "effort" to run a clean program when he is just keeping up with the times. So they made a few more phone calls than they should have. Big deal. The fact of the matter is that college recruiting is a sleezy business and no one program that is in a major conference is running a squeaky clean operaton. It just doesn't happen so get in the real world.

Typical Duke fan reaction. "We are better than everyone else". I hope UConn and Duke meet again on Monday April 6th when it matters and Calhoun outcoaches the pants off of Coach K. Again.

#10 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1477 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

http://emekanadavand...y.blogspot.com/

Calhoun speaks:

"I heard something last night at about 12 a.m. The university is taking any allegations towards its program ... I was in touch with Jeff Hathaway at 5:30 a.m. Phoenix time, and right before we left for practice. The university is going to look into any matter as we would, when we hear of something (like this) regardless of what we think, it still falls under the guidelines of making sure that we're being compliant.

"Secondly, there are no current student-athletes involved with this story. Third, the university worked very closely with our compliance people and with an outside legal agency and obviously the NCAA Eligibility Center, and it was determined that the student-athlete was fully eligible for his freshman year and ready to go "

"It's a newspaper story it wasn't a newspaper, it was a blog story that appeared on something I probably can't get a hold of, which was Yahoo! The student-athlete is not involved with the program, he was cleared by compliance people, an outside legal source, and the NCAA. Something was written, and we take very seriously our responsibility as NCAA members. As we speak Jeff (Hathaway) is looking into what was put on that blog."

"Basically, I said to them, 'Fellas, you probably are going to see something on TV, a couple of different things. It's something that occurred over a year or two ago, whatever it may be. Just to let you know, the university will look into that. As far as I'm concerned, we're here to beat Purdue. If you vary from that, you'll look back and say 'I was worried about something that didn't affect me, one way or another,' and you'll let an opportunity slip by. You only have so many opportunities And we shut it off. The kids are talking about going to a Phoenix Suns game tonight, I think they're really looking at other things: where they're going for dinner, all those things."

#11 Morning Dewey

• 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Classy, really.

Dicky V.......is that you? Yes of course, good ol fashion "Effort" and not to mention, saying your prayers, eating your vegetables and taking your vitamins like all the other elitest Dukamaniacs. Instead of "dropping a loogie" on that James B Dook statue across from the Chapel that January day in 1999, I wish I had a bucket and a bad case of diahrea. Next time.

#12 JBill

• 1929 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

How many college athletes want to play in a place that doesn't get any warmer than 30 degrees from late October to March and resides on a cow pasture with absolutely nothing remotely near it of interest?

Store 24 is not nothing.

You can't be serious with this post. Every single school does the same things UConn got caught for. No high-major runs a scot-free program you can be sure of that. Many coaches(including some in the ACC) are in contact with runners, agents, and AAU coaches to get players. Get off your high horse and realize that no one is above the fray. Calhoun has had one violation in his tenure at UConn and has built the program up from scratch. You can be sure he will survive this bump in the road and that the program will continue to have great success. The university seems to have been cooperative with everything that Yahoo sports did with their investigation and there are no allegations of a cover up ala Kelvin Sampson.

Come on, don't let a Duke fan rile you this easily!

As for this being a "bump in the road", what about the Nochimson stuff? I don't know anything about how these violations are investigated, but isn't this potentially more serious than just the phone calls/texts?

And now that ESPN has it's teeth in this story, and if UConn keeps advancing, I'm sure we'll hear more about Nochimson's contact with players.

Edited by JBill, 25 March 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#13 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

Store 24 is not nothing.
Come on, don't let a Duke fan rile you this easily!

As for this being a "bump in the road", what about the Nochimson stuff? I don't know anything about how these violations are investigated, but isn't this potentially more serious than just the phone calls/texts?

And now that ESPN has it's teeth in this story, and if UConn keeps advancing, I'm sure we'll hear more about Nochimson's contact with players.

What the agent did doesn't affect the university because the players never played a game in a Husky uniform. All the NCAA cares about is if UConn knew about the contact and clearly it did. But, Reggie Bush did the same thing and USC hasn't been touched.

It all changes if current players were in contact with him.

#14 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15150 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Red,

Not every program does this stuff. Carolina and Duke don't recruit. They select.

#15 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15150 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Before everyone jumps all over me (I feel like it's been that kind of day for me), it's a joke. A funny. A "insert a smiley face" moment.

#16 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1477 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Red,

Not every program does this stuff. Carolina and Duke don't recruit. They select.

Funny.

#17 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Red,

Only the chosen few are lucky enough to wear two equally puke-looking shades of blue.

Rocca made a funny!! Tee-hee!!

#18 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7405 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

I read any Duke fan comments here ingrained with a Gibralter sized grain of salt. One with the following phrase carved into it

"Finally I have something to get back at them with, as my coach has been outcoached by their coach consistently in head to head matchups despite the fact my coach selects, and doesn't recruit, and the fact my coach selects college talent that doesn't succeed as well in the NBA as the players recruited by UConn."

It's a big grain, so you can fit all this on it.

And no, I'm not defending UConn if they did something wrong. We'll have to see how this plays out to determine to what extent wrongdoing has occurred.

#19 cgp71

• 267 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

On the Coach K Radio on XM Satelite he did an interview with the founder of Rivals.Com earlier this season. Part of the interview was on the state of recruiting and targeting 8th and 9th graders and actually getting committments from them. Coach K expressed his disapproval of this overexposureto the young players.
But the Rivals guy made a great point, Big time schools including Duke, use AAU Coaches and also pay these scouting services to watch more games and make extra contacts including text messages than the Program is allowed.
Coach K admitted that he had to do this even though he questioned the practice, but was also quick to point out that it wasn't illegal and everybody does it.

My point is that all these schools hang around the perimeter of the "rules". I'm surprised that UCONN never caught wind of this Yahoo.com investigation.

#20 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12717 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

Here's the problem. Big Time college sports is a racket. Flat out. College Football and Hockey at the 1A level have little or nothing to do with education and everything to do with A) making money and B) entertaining the public in order to make money.

Unless there are real consequences not only for programs but for coaches, nothing will get better, and even then it probably won't. That a coach can cheat, and just leave the school holding the bag and move onto another gig scot free stuns me.

#21 JKelley34

• 1250 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

Here's the problem. Big Time college sports is a racket. Flat out. College Football and Hockey at the 1A level have little or nothing to do with education and everything to do with A) making money and B) entertaining the public in order to make money.

Unless there are real consequences not only for programs but for coaches, nothing will get better, and even then it probably won't. That a coach can cheat, and just leave the school holding the bag and move onto another gig scot free stuns me.

Hockey? Not exactly the sport you think about when discussing "big-time college athletics". I think you need to average more that 500/game in attendance to qualify for that.

Although I must say I love the "Dookies are clean" angle. Its really amazing how the parents of the Dookie players are always so qualified to move from unemployment to working at the Hedge Funds and Pharma companies with Duke grads at the helm in the Durham area. Just a strange coincidence these guys couldn't find any other job.

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hockey? Not exactly the sport you think about when discussing "big-time college athletics". I think you need to average more that 500/game in attendance to qualify for that.

Although I must say I love the "Dookies are clean" angle. Its really amazing how the parents of the Dookie players are always so qualified to move from unemployment to working at the Hedge Funds and Pharma companies with Duke grads at the helm in the Durham area. Just a strange coincidence these guys couldn't find any other job.

Have you seen college hockey at UVM, BU, Michigan, North Dakota, etc? You have thousands of people there. It's less to do with making money and more to do with shuttling players off to the NHL at the D-1 level.

#23 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2681 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

On the Coach K Radio on XM Satelite he did an interview with the founder of Rivals.Com earlier this season. Part of the interview was on the state of recruiting and targeting 8th and 9th graders and actually getting committments from them. Coach K expressed his disapproval of this overexposureto the young players.
But the Rivals guy made a great point, Big time schools including Duke, use AAU Coaches and also pay these scouting services to watch more games and make extra contacts including text messages than the Program is allowed.
Coach K admitted that he had to do this even though he questioned the practice, but was also quick to point out that it wasn't illegal and everybody does it.

My point is that all these schools hang around the perimeter of the "rules". I'm surprised that UCONN never caught wind of this Yahoo.com investigation.

They clearly more than caught wind of the Yahoo.com investigation. The provided phone records and other information through the freedom of information act (it was stated in the other thread). They were fully aware of the investigation and I am sure the only thing that caught them off guard is the timing of the release.

In 1999 Trajan Langdon tried to drive on the best perimeter defender in the country, Rickey Moore. Langdon lost the ball and Duke lost. All claims of moral superiority since then are merely sour grapes

#24 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2681 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

I went to school at a CCHA school in Michigan and had a good friend/neighbor on the team. Trust me, hockey is big time college athletics and players got paid. Granted this was back in the early '90's but it happened with great frequency.

#25 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8189 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Langdon lost the ball

do you mean slipped?

#26 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12717 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

For the record, I met basketball, I have no idea why I wrote hockey. No one makes money on hockey.

#27 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15150 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

For the record, I met basketball, I have no idea why I wrote hockey. No one makes money on hockey.

You met basketball? How did you introduce yourself?

#28 sleepyjose03

• 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

do you mean slipped?

I think he meant lost the ball AND then he slipped on the next possession. Either way it was Rickey Moore in his face each time. Either way he came up small - twice.

#29 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8189 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

I think he meant lost the ball AND then he slipped on the next possession. Either way it was Rickey Moore in his face each time. Either way he came up small - twice.

He did put up 25 in Moore's face.

#30 Mr. Wednesday

• 785 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Minnesota makes quite a lot of money on hockey.

There are probably somewhere in the neighborhood of ten to fifteen other programs that are in the black.

I'm sure there's some shady stuff that goes on in hockey, but it's probably the most academically-inclined of the "major" sports. Most teams graduate most of their players.

#31 Mr. Wednesday

• 785 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

But, Reggie Bush did the same thing and USC hasn't been touched.

Yet.

There are some nervous people in SC country, from what I understand. The NCAA appears to be waiting for the lawsuit to play out.

#32 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

In my view there is no reason why there has to be 90% of the regulation surrounding college sports. Amateur athletics died 50 years ago. A radically new paradigm is called for.

1) IMO, most of this should be looked at just like any other employment arrangement. People and organizations get together and negotiate a agreement. Treat this as you would any other business relationship. Let the free market operate. Kids go to the highest bidder now. This is no different than applying for any other job in the universe. Believe me when I say that smart, non-athletic kids work the system to get scholarship money all the time. Colleges pay for athletic or academic talent. Just take off the ARTIFICIAL ceiling and let the market dictate how much kids will get. Colleges are free to participate in the bidding process or decline to participate.

2) IMO, if an oversight/regulatory authority (NCAA) is needed to protect the worker/student/athlete then make sure the rules protect the kids and not just the perogatives of the establishment.

3) IMO, colleges and the NCAA should stop regulating morality and trying to control people's behavior when there is absolutely no need to. Everyone in the entire chain of college basketball is out for their own financial and/or career self-interest. I have no need to continue supporting colleges and the NCAA as they control the money/other benefits derived by the sport and keep the worker/student/player operating as a servant. Colleges, coaches and the NCAA push populist socialist bull so they can maintain control of their established benefits.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 26 March 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#33 CzarAlexander

• 654 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

AVERAGE HOME ATTENDANCE
Total Home Home Avg. Home
Rank Team Attendance Games Attendance
1. Wisconsin........................................................288,593 20 14,430
2. N orth Dakota................................................235,314 21 11,205
3. Minnesota......................................................231,414 23 10,061
4. C olorado Col..................................................151,034 22 6,865
5. N ew Hampshire...........................................115,056 18 6,392
6. Michigan.........................................................124,596 20 6,230
7. D enver.............................................................144,533 24 6,022
8. St. Cloud St.....................................................125,396 21 5,971
9. Michigan St.......................................................98,057 17 5,768
10. N eb.-Omaha..................................................117,155 21 5,579
11. Boston U..........................................................104,465 19 5,498
12. Maine...................................................................81,189 15 5,413
13. Massachusetts..............................................102,805 20 5,140
14. Boston College................................................85,639 17 5,038
15. Ohio St................................................................91,539 19 4,818
16. Minn. Duluth....................................................80,229 18 4,457
17. C ornell.................................................................76,125 18 4,229
18. Vermont.............................................................72,054 18 4,003
19. Alas. Anchorage..............................................70,376 18 3,910
20. D artmouth........................................................72,368 19 3,809
21. Minn. St. Mankato..........................................68,454 18 3,803
22. Rensselaer.........................................................63,160 17 3,715
23. Alas. Fairbanks.................................................65,295 18 3,628
24. N ortheastern....................................................43,280 14 3,091
25. Yale.......................................................................45,509 15 3,034

My guess is that the "Big 3" Wisconsin, North Dakota and Minnesota make decent money on hockey. After that, I'd be surprised if any of the other schools broke even. For comparison, see the college baseball link here. LINK

#34 Mr. Wednesday

• 785 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

There are actual self-reported profitability numbers out there. More than just the top three in attendance broke even. I'm fairly certain that Michigan, BU, New Hampshire, Maine, maybe BC also were in the black, just to pick a few.

#35 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7405 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

I think BUs # = sellout for their arena, or pretty close.

Conte for BC, IIRC, would hold about 8,000, so not quite sellout average, but still pretty good. Like a doofus, I never went to any BC hockey games while at grad school. I did have hoop and football season tix during the same period (very cheap - like $60 for the year for football, maybe $120 for basketball).

#36 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16015 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

Josh Nochimson, at the center of the controversy surrounding the UConn men's basketball team, paid several thousand dollars for surgery on UConn recruit Nate Miles in December 2007 in Tampa, the Tampa Tribune and Tampa's 1010 CBS Sports Radio reported Friday morning on its web site.

Dr. M. Christopher MacLaren, then with the Tampa Bay Bone and Joint Center, said he performed surgery on Miles at the Tampa Bay Surgery Center.

MacLaren would not disclose what surgery was performed, but told the Tribune the average cost of the surgery ranges between $8,000 to $10,000. McLaren said he later checked with the billing office and was told it had received payment.

"Nochimson told me he was a friend of Nate Miles, that Nate came from a broken family," MacLaren said. "He was Nate's mentor and took him under his wing and took care of him. The quote was 'Nate will be going to UConn next year. He's a top recruit.' That was the urgency of having to surgery to get him ready.

Link

#37 8slim

• SoSH Member

• 6179 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

In my view there is no reason why there has to be 90% of the regulation surrounding college sports. Amateur athletics died 50 years ago. A radically new paradigm is called for.... Colleges, coaches and the NCAA push populist socialist bull so they can maintain control of their established benefits.

Not sure if I understand what system you're in favor of implementing, but I couldn't agree more with the overall sentiment. The "student-athlete" system, specifically in regards to football and men's hoops, is atrocious. The amount of money that gets generated on the backs of these kids is insane. And the sanctimonious talk their "reward/compensation" is that they get a free education is ludicrous. Those kids are there to play ball, plain and simple. Some do take advantage of the educational opportunity, and some could have gotten into those schools on their academic merit. But they're ALL their to play ball.

Treat it as such. Let them major in Athletics, given them a cut of the revenue (personally I think they should be able to profit from merchanise sales) and end the sham.

As for the UConn situation, as a Syracuse fan I hope they get the death penalty. :) But sincerely, they did nothing that every other school does. Every. Other. They just got caught. Who really friggin' cares? Ooohhh, and agent "steered" a kid to a school! Spare me.

Edited by 8slim, 27 March 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#38 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Saw the link/quote above about a kid getting surgery paid for. While I don't have any inside information there is a girl basketball player down here who is really excellent. She will play at UNC next year. She has had multiple shoulder injuries that have cut her last two seasons short. I heard that her mom did not have health insurance and was simply waiting until her child enrolled in college to get the school to pay for the surgery. I have no idea about the veracity of my statement or if UNC would pay for the surgery, but it is interesting to observe that a really talented kid who definitely has major shoulder problems and most likely needs surgery is waiting for her college to pay for it.

So when I see that a booster for another school has paid for a player's surgery I am left asking the question--what is wrong with that?

Like a few others I would have zero problem if schools paid athletes to attend their college. They would get their full-ride scholarship plus whatever compensation the school was able and willing to spend additionally. My guess is that an elite college basketball program would have no problem whatsoever finding $30,000 additional for each player. Hell, Coach K wouldn't miss the money if it all came out of his salary. All the student athlete has to do is remain in good standing on the team, achieve at least a minimum GPA and he would be guaranteed the money. Further, I have no problem if a team booster decided to pay for a kid's surgery, his sister's eye glasses or his dad's new Ford 150. As long as the student athlete maintains his grades, his status on the team and doesn't break any meaningful laws of the land, what is it to anybody? Why is it their business what a person earns. Why does the university, coach or NCAA get to legislate morality?

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 27 March 2009 - 06:00 PM.

#39 sleepyjose03

• 2403 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

While I agree that the current system is fundamentally flawed - would a compensation based system really be the correct answer? Would a salary cap have to be instituted? A compensation system would likely spell the death of the mid-major conferences. There is simply no way that many of these schools (Thinking St. Marys, Davidson, WKU etc) could come up with the $$$ to compete with the major schools.

Not to mention that this gives private colleges and well-endowed (snicker) public schools a very large advantage. It'd be like having a plethora of Steinbrenners running around out there.

#40 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5201 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

Not to mention that this gives private colleges and well-endowed (snicker) public schools a very large advantage. It'd be like having a plethora of Steinbrenners running around out there.

Those schools already have a very large advantage. My guess is that if the NCAA decreed tomorrow that colleges could pay their football players however much money they want, the top 25 next year would look exactly like it would under the status quo. The schools that have the money now press their advantage in a lot of different ways - building nicer facilities to benefit recruiting, hiring better strength and training staffs, better coaches, etc. If the programs could pay players, Ohio State and Florida and USC, etc. would still be Ohio State and Florida and USC, etc.. It's not like any other schools have a chance to win a national championship under our current system.

I'm not advocating the payment of players, but I would be open to more creative solutions. Maybe the establishment of individual retirement funds for student-athletes, which only vest when they graduate from college, and which are taken away if the kids are involved in serious NCAA violations?

The problem with all of this is that the NCAA is a communist organization. Football and basketball are used to fund women's field hockey, golf, etc. So there is no way the NCAA leadership is going to let any of this happen unless money continues to flow from men's revenue sports to all the non-revenue sports. Why the big schools put up with that philosophy instead of splintering off from the NCAA, I will never understand.

#41 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Good article IMO.

Let's come clean about 'dirty coaches'

A coach's desire to win forces him to get intimately involved with a kid like Nate Miles, who is extremely talented and apparently lost, transferring from school to school. The reality is the NCAA hopes Jim Calhoun or John Calipari can talk some sense into Miles, because Miles could help the NCAA score its next billion-dollar TV contract.

Or who knows? Maybe Seth Curry is the NCAA's next TV star. I'm sure his departure from Liberty and decision to attend Duke transpired without any impermissible contact.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9400160...s'?MSNHPHMA

#42 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8280 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

The word is that "part 2" of the Yahoo investigative piece on Uconn will come out tomorrow and will focus on the Ater Majok recruitment.

The belief is that the first set of Yahoo allegations will at most result in a slap on the wrist. probation and the maybe the loss of a scholarship

#43 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1477 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

The word is that "part 2" of the Yahoo investigative piece on Uconn will come out tomorrow and will focus on the Ater Majok recruitment.

The belief is that the first set of Yahoo allegations will at most result in a slap on the wrist. probation and the maybe the loss of a scholarship

Man, splitting the article into two parts, one before the S16 and the next the Final Four?

That's rough.

#44 CzarAlexander

• 654 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

While I agree that the current system is fundamentally flawed - would a compensation based system really be the correct answer? Would a salary cap have to be instituted? A compensation system would likely spell the death of the mid-major conferences. There is simply no way that many of these schools (Thinking St. Marys, Davidson, WKU etc) could come up with the $$$ to compete with the major schools.

The numbers I have seen suggest that a McDonald's AA-type hoops recruit is worth approximately $600-900k to schools. If I can find a citation I will provide it.

The mid-major schools don't get the high-major recruits anyway, so it's a moot point. WKU would sort of be like the Milwaukee Brewers. They could develop kids, but wouldn't be able to bid against the Red Sox and Yankees (UNC and UL) of the college world for many of the available players.

#45 CzarAlexander

• 654 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

The problem with all of this is that the NCAA is a communist organization. Football and basketball are used to fund women's field hockey, golf, etc. So there is no way the NCAA leadership is going to let any of this happen unless money continues to flow from men's revenue sports to all the non-revenue sports. Why the big schools put up with that philosophy instead of splintering off from the NCAA, I will never understand.

Please expand. Remember that Title IX was imposed by the government and not by the NCAA. The NCAA sets the minimum standards for number of sports needed to qualify for D-1 status and the maximum scholarships that are available for each sport, but makes no standards vis a vis funding.

#46 Bleedred

• 4014 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

What do UConn fans think is the chance that Calhoun retires after this season if they win it all? From all accounts, the NCAA is going to come down very hard on the program for what appear to be egregious, multiple violations of NCAA rules, and it seems to make a lot of sense, given Calhoun's health and the likely probation of the team, to call it a career.

#47 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2392 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

What do UConn fans think is the chance that Calhoun retires after this season if they win it all? From all accounts, the NCAA is going to come down very hard on the program for what appear to be egregious, multiple violations of NCAA rules, and it seems to make a lot of sense, given Calhoun's health and the likely probation of the team, to call it a career.

It's certainly interesting. One way to look at that however is to say that his leaving abruptly in the event of a 3rd NC could be seen more prominently as a unspoken admission of impropriety. If that happens to be the prevailing school of though within the court of public opinion, his ornery side could surface in the form of staying on board for at least another 1-2 years.

After the 'Salary Outrage' story broke, a poll was conducted and he was found to have over 68% approval across the entire State of Connecticut. I know this is apples to oranges, but despite what the NCAA does, keep in mind he is universally loved there. He's got a security blanket if he needs it, which many other coaches can't say, and a University that knows damn well what his net worth to the school is (monetarily speaking), that will most likely jump into the trenches with him if need be.

In short, I doubt this potential scandal will effect his decision to retire or not one iota, though I could be wrong.

#48 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1477 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Where have you heard this?

#49 Bleedred

• 4014 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

Where have you heard this?

One of the two authors of the Yahoo article and investigation was on the radio this morning. He was opining that given the evidence of impropriety that has already surfaced, the violations are blatant and severe. Apparently Calhoun said something last week about (and I'm paraphrasing here) "there may have been some technical rules violations, I'm not sure, it's kind of hard to know all the time because the NCAA rule book is 500 plus pages." In response to that line of defense, the author of the article said: "the problem with Calhoun's statement is that UCONN broke all of the rules on pages 1, 2 and 3."

It didn't sound like the author had an agenda against UCONN, but was rather saying that if the NCAA was going to be consistent with past practices, UCONN is in deep trouble.

#50 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8280 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

I hear the interview and there was absolutely nothing new. In fact, the author really tried to make it seem as if his story had more bite than what he reported. Again, the people in storrs do not think they will get much more than a slap on the wrist if all that is uncovered is what has been reported. The biggest issue is Tom Moore and his knowledge of Nochisam's role and relationship with Miles and Majok.

I love the 1,500 calls soundbites, whicha re not true, they were 99% text messages which were legal at the time. And comparing it to Sampson is apples and oranges.

Honestly, this guy coming back on the air with nothing new now starts to smell bad, the NCAA has started their review (not an investigation) and nothing more is going to happen on this for months and months.