Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The 2009 New York Mets: Este es nuestro aņo!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#51 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,786 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Have the Mets reached rockbottom? Swept out of Philly.

Edited by Wingack, 05 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#52 rundugrun

• 415 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Wingack @ Jul 1 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have the Mets reached rockbottom? Swept out of Philly.

Nope. Tonight continues the slide to the bottom... Castillo, hesitates on a line drive hit to the gap in left and gets thrown out at 3rd base on a play that should not have been close. Then, the next inning he bobbles a ground ball and rushes the throw, which pulls the firstbaseman off the bag... Then the next batter hits a fly ball which the left fielder (Evans) takes a bad route and cannot reach. Just an ugly team, the Mets are.

Now a bases loaded walk to expand the lead to 8-0. Meet the Mets, Greet the Mets...

Edited by rundugrun, 07 July 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#53 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

It is really hard to offer analysis of this team beyond the fact that are brutal. Blanked on four hits by Clayton Kershaw and company tonight.

#54 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

The Not-So-Top Ten of the 2009 NY Mets by SportsCenter, it is a Must Watch.

Also a fun fact for you all, the Mets have 1 RBI in the past 36 innings. That RBI is by pitcher Fernando Nieve.

#55 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,186 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Metstown > Natstown.

Edit: Holy shit that video was amazing. Daniel Murphy is one hell of a defender eh?

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 07 July 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#56 MidnightC

• 1,662 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

That video is one of the most pathetically hilarious things I've ever watched. METSTOWN!!

#57 MakeMineMoxie

• 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Not enough I'm in Atlantic City ... Phillie country ... losing money and seeing more Phillies shirts and hats than I've seen in every other visit I've ever taken here combined, but this morning I wake up, flip on SportsCenter, and find myself right smack in the middle of the "Top Ten Mets F**k-Ups Of The Season" (I don't think they actually called it that.) How do you know you've had a bad season? You have enough boners for a Top Ten of the Season list all by yourself, it's only July, and Ryan Church missing third base before scoring the winning run isn't even on the list!

http://metstradamus.blogspot.com/

#58 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,786 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Daniel Murphy has to be favorite Met. Manuel works into the lineup everyday, puts him in positions that he can't play, because he has some sort of dynamite bat that the Mets need to have in their lineup. Daniel Murphy is hitting .241.

#59 Gdiguy

• 492 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Wingack @ Jul 8 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daniel Murphy has to be favorite Met. Manuel works into the lineup everyday, puts him in positions that he can't play, because he has some sort of dynamite bat that the Mets need to have in their lineup. Daniel Murphy is hitting .241.

However, any bitching about Murphy now has to contain this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...tent_id=5489419

(I'm not going to argue he's still a terrible defender, but that was one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen)

#60 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

This is hilarious.

The made a new Home Run Apple for Citi field.
Just about everything has gone wrong this year, and now we can’t even get the Citi Field apple to work. Apparently the Mets offense has been so bad that it is actually rusty from lack of use. After 8 consecutive games without a HR, the Mets decided to raise the apple during the 7th inning stretch.

Of course, then when they need it in the next inning, it didn't work. Maybe they should send it to Yankee Stadium once in a while so it can get some work in.
according to Gary Cohen, the reason the apple did not come up is that it apparently takes 45 seconds to recharge between uses. So let me get this straight. The Mets did not even consider the possibility of back to back homeruns?

Metstown!

#61 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (BucketOBalls @ Jul 13 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is hilarious.

The made a new Home Run Apple for Citi field.

Of course, then when they need it in the next inning, it didn't work. Maybe they should send it to Yankee Stadium once in a while so it can get some work in.

Metstown!

according to Gary Cohen, the reason the apple did not come up is that it apparently takes 45 seconds to recharge between uses. So let me get this straight. The Mets did not even consider the possibility of back to back homeruns?

Recharge? The thing is battery operated? They couldn't get their $120 an hour NYC electrician to run some AC out there?

#62 God's Cop

• Your friendly neighborhood CuntyBollocks

• 690 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

Are you fucking kidding me?
Tony Bernazard shows up at Binghamton, rips his shirt off and challenges the minor league players to a fight.

http://www.nydailyne...amton_mets.html

#63 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,922 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (CuntyBollocks @ Jul 22 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you fucking kidding me?
Tony Bernazard shows up at Binghamton, rips his shirt off and challenges the minor league players to a fight.

http://www.nydailyne...amton_mets.html

It's a franchise in complete disarray. What happened to the Mets is usually what happens when the inmates are running the asylum. How Omar somehow escapes without critique is unbelievable to me. He could be the worst GM in baseball.

#64 Plantiers Wart

• 2,681 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Bernazard was supposed to be the GM in waiting....What an absolute disaster. On the bright side, I hit Citi Field for the first time a while back for the Dodgers series. I was blown away by the place, and my son could have sat out in the fan area in CF and played XBox all night - in fact, he sat down and switched it off "Home Run Derby" to have the Rays play the Sox at Fenway - got into the second inning before a staffer noticed and told him he had to switch it back.

Besides the AA team on the field for the home side, it was a great night.

#65 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

http://thesportshern...-francoeur.html

#66 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

this is amazing

#67 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,399 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (johnmd20 @ Jul 22 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How Omar somehow escapes without critique is unbelievable to me. He could be the worst GM in baseball.

He signed a four year extension after last season, and the Wilpons are evidently too broke after the Madoff fiasco to even consider biting the bullet on the last 3+ years of this.

#68 Plantiers Wart

• 2,681 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

The Mets just keep getting odder. Fire Bernazard, and during the press conference, Minaya blames the Daily News writer who broke the Binghampton story - saying the writer wanted Bernazard out of the way in order to get his job. Then later, Minaya and Jeff Wilpon apologize not for that remark, but for where it was made. Unbelievable embarrassing.

#69 CoolPapaBellhorn

• 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Wingack @ Jul 1 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have the Mets reached rockbottom?

I don't think such a place exists in Metstown. Not after this week.

#70 daveffreep

• 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (CoolPapaBellhorn @ Jul 28 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think such a place exists in Metstown. Not after this week.

Well. What a week already! First Castillo stumbles on the dugout steps, is now D2D.

Yesterday Niese covers 1st by doing the splits, strains hammie, then tears it by hyperextending his plant leg. OUT. 60-day DL.

Sheff comes back from the DL, then yesterday strains his hammie!

WTF????

"Amazin' Mess!"

#71 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,399 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

Almost too 'amazing' to believe: David Wright's HR yesterday (8/5) was the first opposite field HR by any Met at home ALL SEASON.

#72 czar

• fanboy

• 3,584 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Billy Wagner returned to pitch in his first game since August 2nd, 2008 after undergoing TJ surgery last year. Pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning in a one-run game, striking out 2.

PitchF/X had him from 94.0 to 95.4 mph on the fastball, 86.5 mph on the changeup, and he threw 4 sliders at 83.7.

Mets still lose 3-2.

#73 BostonJack42

• 192 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

Next year, more of the same.

Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel both coming back next year.

Wow.

ESPN Link

#74 pockmeister

• 303 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

The season could (somehow) get even worse - Johan is to have his elbow examined tomorrow, and misses his scheduled start. Jerry Manuel described as being "terribly concerned"

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...sp&c_id=mlb

TJ time?

#75 Eric Yu

• 129 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Hahah, oh man.

http://www.nydailyne...jose_reyes.html

MIAMI - Jose Reyes may be the next Met in line for surgery, joining Johan Santana and Oliver Perez on operating tables in the coming days.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz0PUIXF9KZ

#76 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,602 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

Went to Citi Field on Sunday. Got $90 seats in section 107 for $45 (through discount code at Theatermania.com, if you're interested. They have 50% off tix for most remaining games for $90 and up seats). Ended up sitting in $150 seats in section 108 which is further away (can't figure out that pricing decision) but were in the shade.

Box score say 39,000 folks were there. I tell you there were never more than 25,000 in the house, and they were still giving away K-Rod bobbleheads at least into the 4th inning. Not sure why they'd lie about the attendence so obviously.

But anyway: I didn't see a single Asian face in the ballpark. This is in Flushing, Queens, the home of the largest Chinatown and Koreatown in the US. Not to mention a very healthy Japanese, Vietnamese, and other Asian populations.

We saw what happened at Fenway with the addition of Matsuzaka, and what happened at Yankee Stadium thanks to Matsui and Wang.

Wouldn't the Mets have a good shot at increasing attendence if they brought in some high-profile Asian players? How about it, Omar?

#77 joelmon

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Man, this team is too much fun to watch. First, I watch Franceour make the 3rd out stretching a single into a double.
Well, at least he platted David Wright. Right? Well, no, he didn't because Wright took his sweet time to score and his run didn't count.
So, he made his "I'm going to huff and puff" face and fade out to commercials.

So, the Marlins are now batting and, as usual, Hanley comes to the plate, I blink, Marlins get the lead. Then Cameron Maybin comes in to pinch hit and beats the shit out of a meatball for a 3 run homer. They then pan to Jerry Manuel who comes out to replace John Maine, and he trips from running up the dugout steps.

This was a very entertaining 5 minutes and, believe it or not, a very entertaining season.

#78 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,025 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Ouch. Jose Reyes is done with a torn right hamstring. I think he's a talent, but injuries seem to be his bugaboo and speed is his primary tool. I'd suspect and hope that this dampens the wishcasting for acquiring him here at SOSH.

#79 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,702 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Trlicek's Whip @ Sep 30 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ouch. Jose Reyes is done with a torn right hamstring. I think he's a talent, but injuries seem to be his bugaboo and speed is his primary tool. I'd suspect and hope that this dampens the wishcasting for acquiring him here at SOSH.

That should probably put aside the previous accusations that he was malingering, yes?

#80 joelmon

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

It's disgraceful how many Met fans accuse this guy of loafing it around. Right, Jose hates baseball and would rather play fucking x-box.
I'm sure Ranaldo hates Soccer like he Jose hates baseball and getting back on the field. So, once again, we take a player for granted and quite possibly will watch him never realize his potential. What a fucking mess.

It is one thing to be mediocre with talent and to have poor scouting or management but it is another matter entirely to be so wretched in terms of organization, foresight and compassion that you allow shit like this (among other embarrassments) to happen all in ONE season. (sorry for such a long sentence).

#81 Discofever

• 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Congrats to SI for picking the Mets to win the 2009 World Series.

Today on radio, IIRC, Omar compared Oliver Perez to Verlander and said Dan Murphy is developing much like Youkilis.

I didn't listen but that's what I was told.