Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2009 Philadelphia Phillies: Lidge has Nothing on Kyra Sedgwick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
124 replies to this topic

#51 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

5/3 Week in Review

Results

2-1 vs. NATSTOWN
1-1 vs. NYM (1 PPD.)

The Phillies had a pretty average week this week. Whenever NATSTOWN comes in for a 3 game set, you'd love to sweep them, but the bats fell silent on a Wednesday night 4-1 loss. Chan Ho Park continued the cycle of bad pitching on Friday, giving up 7 ER in 4.2 IP with 7 walks. He was horrible, and the natives turned on him in the first inning. He needs to go ASAP IMO. I have a feeling that when Romero comes back, Happ will move into the rotation full time. Even with the so-so pitching, the Phils are sitting at 12-10, 1/2 game behind Florida.

This week also saw the return of Carlos Ruiz to the lineup from the DL. He isn't too much of an upgrade over the Coste/Marson platoon, but he is a marginally better hitter and provides a little bit more defense behind the plate.

The Phils scored 31 runs this week, moving them into 5 place overall in runs scored this season. This number seems like it should be higher, but when their bats go cold, they go cold. There is no middle ground it seems with this team.

Upcoming Series
2 @ STL
2 @ NYM
3 vs. ATL

A seven game week. If you have any Phillies on your fantasy team, start them this week, unless they pitch.

The Michael Jack Schmidt Hot Hitter of the Week:

OF, Raul Ibanez: (18 AB/.500 BA/3 HR/ 9 RBI)

What a pickup Raul Ibanez has been thus far for the Phillies. I was surprised and concerned for Philadelphia's offense when they let Pat Burrell go and signed another lefty in Ibanez, but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He has fit in well with the team and in the lineup, and the offense hasn't missed a beat. Whether or not he can keep it up all year at age 36 remains to be seen.

The Steve Carlton Hot Pitcher of the Week

RP Clay Condrey (4 G/ 4.2 IP/0 ER/2 SO/1 H)

Again, a reliever is the hot pitcher of the week. Condrey is as deserving as anybody, but because he is normally buried as the 11th or 12th pitcher, he gets the nod this week. He appeared in almost every game this past week and did not allow a run to score. While Clay isn't the most reliable RP that the Phils have, it's nice to see one of the forgotten relievers pitch in to help the pen from taking on more water.

The Harry Anderson Cold Hitter of the Week

OF Jayson Werth (18 AB/ .111 BA/5 K/0 HR/1 RBI)

While Werth did walk 4 times this week, this is a putrid line for a hitter that generally hits in either the 2, 5, or 6 spot in the lineup. I wasn't sold on Werth as the everyday right fielder for the Phils at spring training, but he is sound in the field and can get hot at the plate. Hopefully this week is just an aberration.

The Adam Eaton Cold Pitcher of the Week

SP Chan Ho Park (0-1/4.2 IP/ 13.50 ERA/ 7 BB)

He narrowly edges out Joe Blanton (4.1 IP/6 ER/3 HR) for sucky starting pitcher of the week, partly because I had to suffer through his craptastic start this week. I've seen prettier car crashes. Anyway, Park's velocity is down (He was hitting 86-88 on his fastball consistently) and he doesn't throw strikes. He's 35 and looks to be at the end of the line. Again, he is a #5, but still, considering how awful the rotation has been this year, you'd think the brass would try to solidify the rotation in anyway. That means banish Park to the pen and give Happ a try. He can't be any worse.

Edited by bandito0, 04 May 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#52 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Chan Ho Park could be pitching for his spot in the rotation tonight. Manuel said the following:

He won a spot in spring training and he wants to keep it. And there comes a time when he’s got to pitch better. There’s also a time when we sit down and evaluate our pitching and see where we go from there.

The End of Chan Ho?

Tonight is the first game of a two game set with the Mets at Citi Field.

5/6: Park (0-1, 51 ERA+) vs. Santana (3-1, 392 ERA+)
5/7: Moyer (3-1, 78 ERA+) vs. Pelfrey (3-0, 72 ERA+)

#53 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

On Wednesday, the Phillies lost a pitchers duel between Johan Santana and Chan Ho Park (yes, that is the right pitcher) on an error by Pedro Feliz. That bats were stymied as they left 13 men on base. Chan Ho went 6 strong innings, likely buying him another start or two after a disaterous start to the season.

Phillies lose to Mets 1-0 on Error

On Thursday, the Phiiles lost 7-5 to the Mets. Jamie Moyer was horrendous giving up 7 runs in just 2.1 innings. JA Happ came in and pitched 3.2 scoreless innigs giving the Phillies a chance to comeback. There is a lot of clamoring to put Happ in the rotation in the place of one of the struggling pitchers. However, the bats would not take this opportunity from Happ and the bullpen as their comeback fell short. Rollins had another difficult game going 0-5.

Moyer stinks, Phillies lose 7-5

On Friday, it was Cole Hamels' return to the mound after dealing with a sprained ankle. He had his best start of the season against the Braves going 6 innings giving up 2 runs on just 3 hits while striking out 7.

He was good. His fastball was strong. His changeup was close to unhittable. He was poised, he was assured. Sixty-four of the 95 pitches he threw went over for strikes, and he only got in some trouble in the fourth inning, giving up a two-run single to Phillie-killer Brian McCann.

Phillies win 10-6

On Saturday, the Phillies got back to losing as Javier Vazquez shut them down over 7.2 innings giving up just two runs. Blanton went deeper into the game than Vazquez going 8 innings but was blasted for 6 runs. The offense was quite poor as:

Among the 0-fers were Jimmy Rollins (0-for-4), Shane Victorino (0-for-4), Ryan Howard (0-for-4) and Greg Dobbs (0-for-3).

Offense Sputters, Phillies lose 6-2

---------------------------

In other news Utley's foot is still hurting but he is playing through it. This will be something to keep an eye on as the season goes on, will all these aches and pains come back to hurt him down the stretch of the season?

Edited by bball831, 10 May 2009 - 09:12 AM.

#54 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

The Phillies beat the Dodgers last night 5-3 behind another strong pitching performance by Chan Ho Park. He has now put together back-to-back solid starts after his rotation spot was in jeopardy. The real story was Jayson Werth stealing 2nd, 3rd, and home in an inning.

It was a rare feat, indeed. Only 49 players in MLB history have stolen all three bases in the same inning — only nine since 1942 have thieved in such a manner — and the last Phillie to do it was Pete Rose in 1980. Considering that Werth only stole 20 bases in 2008 and that Philadelphia only had 12 stolen bases coming into the game, it becomes an even more impressive rarity, like going to a game and not seeing Ryan Howard(notes) strike out.

Werth Steals All 3 Bases

Edited by bball831, 13 May 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#55 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

“I’m disappointed,” Park said. “I lost the job as a starter, which is what I wanted. I don’t make the decision, but I lost the job. I’ve got a new job. I have to figure out how to prepare to be good with the new job in the bullpen. I have good memories of the bullpen last year. I know it’s not easy, that’s why I don’t like being in the bullpen. But the team expects more from me out of the bullpen. I have to do my best.”

Happ in the Rotation, Park out

----------

Cole Hamels is starting tonight against Johnny Cueto and the Reds. Hamels is 2-0 with an 0.86 ERA in 21 innings against the Reds and Cueto is off to a terrific start to the season going 4-1 with a 1.93 ERA. Should be a great game tonight.

#56 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Todd Zolecki is reporting Brett Myers will likely have hip surgery and be out for the remainder of the 2009 season. As Myers is a free agent at the end of the season, he may have thrown his final pitch as a Phillie.

Myers Likely Done for '09

Big loss for an already thin rotation. Myers left yesterday's game against the Marlins early with hip inflammation. The 3 starts before that one he had a 2.57 ERA in 21 innings. The candidates to replace Myers is Chan Ho Park and Kyle Kendrick. With Moyer pitching very poorly this season and now this injury, you'd assume this would push the Phillies even more to acquire a SP. Could the be a landing spot for Brad Penny?

Edited by bball831, 28 May 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#57 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Moyer wins 250, Phillies take advantage of NatsTown

Jamie Moyer has his best start of the season as the Phillies complete the sweep of the Nats. Moyer went 6 innings giving up 1 run on 3 hits, no walks, and had 4 Ks.

Phillies are now 10-2 against NatsTown and 18-18 against their other opponents.

Edited by bball831, 31 May 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#58 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

John Mayberry Jr. was sent down today. He has only made one appearance since May 24th so they'll send him down so he can continue to get more ABs. There is speculation that when the Phillies get back to AL parks that he will be called up to take advantage of the DH (Ibanez would likely DH with Mayberry playing in the OF).

Mayberry was sent down for Antonio Bastardo, who is making his first start tonight. He is a 23 year old lefty who features a fastball (88-91), changeup (low 80s), and slider (low 80s). His changeup is supposed to be a plus-plus pitch. Bastardo's delivery is deceptive and fast which makes it hard for batters to pick up.

Good peripherals in AA (9 games) and AAA (2 games):
0.4 HR/9
9.7 K/9
1.9 BB/9

AAA: 1-0, 13 IP, 2.08 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 12 K, 3 BB
AA: 2-2, 34.2 IP, 1.83 ERA, .82 WHIP, 39 K, 7 BB, 2 saves (4 games in relief)

Edited by bball831, 02 June 2009 - 06:13 PM.

#59 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

Romero Activated afterr 50 Game Suspension, Escalona sent down

------------

Bastardo Impressive in Debut

His plus fastball was starting out in the 93-95 mph range, regularly sitting at 94. Near the 40-pitch mark, the mean regressed to 93, and near the 70-pitch mark, he was comfortably throwing 91-92. He finished his outing throwing primarily 91 mph fastballs. Mixing his pitches and more seasoning in the majors should retain a higher velocity later in games; however, a 90-92 fastball range is still pretty good.
The fastball moves well toward the end. Moreover, Bastardo isn’t afraid to pitch inside. He was throwing to most hitters on the inside part of the plate, almost pounding the zone with tenacity.
The slider was pretty good, breaking tight and down in the zone. It seems Bastardo can work well pounding inside to right-handed hitters, then tossing the slider a little more toward the middle of the plate, but down hard.
We almost didn’t see the changeup at all. We were told Scott Hairston launched one barely foul, but the game report reads it was a fastball he rocked.

We have to reserve judgment on Bastardo’s future role for a while. For one, we haven’t seen the changeup, which is supposedly his best pitch and the pitch capable of making Bastardo not just an ordinary starter, but a dominating one on the level of Cole Hamels.

His line was 6 IP, 4H, 1 ER, 5 Ks

#60 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

“The Phillies have been waiting for just this type of opportunity; take a veteran starter for a test drive for the next month or so before having to make any hard decisions about (San Diego’s Jake) Peavy or (Houston’s Roy) Oswalt.”

Report: Phillies expected to sign Glavine or Padilla

#61 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8597 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jun 4 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope they grab Padilla if only for the return of the Padilla Flotilla.

#62 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7409 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

Brad Lidge to 15-day DL with sprained right knee, retro to 6/7.

Catcher Paul Bako called up from AA Reading. Bako is expected to be in uniform tonight.

#63 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (sfip @ Jun 9 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brad Lidge to 15-day DL with sprained right knee, retro to 6/7.

Catcher Paul Bako called up from AA Reading. Bako is expected to be in uniform tonight.

Just came to post this.

Look for Ryan Madson to close while Lidge is on the DL.

Lidge: 0-3, 26 IP, 7.27 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, 9.7 K/9. 6 blown saves including the last two this past weekend to the Dodgers.

#64 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Raul Ibanez is not a happy man:

ESPN

Raul Ibanez of the Philadelphia Phillies is bristling at the suggestion in a blog that his offensive numbers could be the result of performance-enhancing drugs. And he's perfectly willing to be drug-tested to prove it, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"I'll come after people who defame or slander me," he said Tuesday night before the Phillies played the New York Mets, according to the report. "It's pathetic and disgusting. There should be some accountability for people who put that out there."

I'll put that up against the jobs of anyone who writes this stuff," he said, according to the Inquirer. "Make them accountable. There should be more credibility than some 42-year-old blogger typing in his mother's basement. It demeans everything you've done with one stroke of the pen.

Yeah, he's crushing the ball this year, but he is out of Safeco, a picthers park, and he did hit 33 HR in 2006 in said stadium. He's always been a good hitter and is in a weaker league too.

That all being said, I'd be pretty pissed myself, but I'm not sure how much I'd gripe about it. It's a blog, all you're doing is bringing attention to this guy by reacting this way.

#65 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

After taking 2 out of 3 from the other New York team, the Phillies will host the Sox in a 3 game weekend series.

Series Preview: Boston at Philadelphia
Philadelphia 35-23, 12-14 home vs. Boston 36-24, 15-16 away
Fri 7:05 Blanton 4-3, 5.46 ERA, 1.46 WHIP Lester 5-5, 5.09 ERA, 1.41 WHIP
Sat 7:05 Bastardo 2-0, 2.45 ERA, 1.18 WHIP Matsuzaka 1-4, 7.33 ERA, 2.11 WHIP
Sun 1:35 Happ 4-0, 2.98 ERA, 1.08 WHIP Beckett 7-2, 3.77 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

Lidge is on the DL and Ryan Madson is closing. Madson recorded the save in the last two games against the Mets so one would wonder the availablity of him tomorrow.

Scouting reports on Bastardo and Happ.

Bastardo: He is a 23 year old lefty who features a fastball (88-91), changeup (low 80s), and slider (low 80s). His changeup is supposed to be a plus-plus pitch. Bastardo's delivery is deceptive and fast which makes it hard for batters to pick up.

Happ: Another lefty who has been throwing a lot of fastballs and has a deceptive delivery that keeps hitter off balance. He also has a 82-85 mph changeup and a slider but reports say his slider is still too soft and is probably more of a get me over slider than an out pitch.

Both of these young guys have done a tremendous job in their starts for the Phillies. Both have been giving them something most of the other pitchers in the rotation other Hamels and that is quality starts. With Myers getting hurt, the Phillies desperately needed some help in the rotation and Bastardo and Happ have done that.

#66 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7409 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Lester, Dice-K and Beckett. Of course with my luck I'm going to Saturday's game.

#67 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (sfip @ Jun 12 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lester, Dice-K and Beckett. Of course with my luck I'm going to Saturday's game.

I'll be there tonight and tomorrow. Dice vs. Bastardo on Saturday, it's going to be interesting to say the least.

#68 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15439 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

WTF is with the Phillies home/road record?

13-17 at home
23-9 on the road

#69 LondonSox

• 4716 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

I was at the Lester 13 inning extravaganza at the weekend. Particularly enjoying Bard's close.

That Phillies bullpen is improving, a lot of average guys seem to have upped their voelocity and confidence, and what Romero has done since he's been there beggers belief.
I'm not sure why anyone throws fastballs to Howard sometimes but that's just me and I had NO IDEA how bad a season Rollins was having, 270 OBP and batting leadoff (I know he was dropped down the order for a while but still). Jesus. Makes Papi look good!

The fan love for Ibanez is amazing, 88% of the fans are so far voting for him as team MVP, I don't know that Chase Utley fella who was supposed to miss part of the season with an injury who has a 313/444/581 line with 15 HR and more BB than Ks at 2B... I'd go with him.

The long guy in the pen and the back of the rotation are pretty shite though, the Mets right now aren't good enough but if I was one of these teams I'd be looking to get a Penny type, they'd really help.

The horrendousness of Rollins offsets the awesomeness of Raul, because you'd think Rollins has to be better than this, and while Raul probably will regress some, the two should worst case offset.
Victorino is playing a really good CF too, they are light RH hitting though.

Bailey would be a useful RH bat off the bench for them IMO

#70 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Moyer got roughed up by the Blue Jays tonight, going 6 innings and giving up 6 runs on 10 hits. He had 5 decent to good starts coming into tonight where he had a 3.77 ERA.

Moyer's had 1st inning troubles all season giving up a line of 314/.386/.627/1.013 not including the 3 runs he gave up tonight against Toronto.

The Phillies rotation has a lot of question marks in it with two young guys (Bastardo and Happ) and Moyer who has been poor in most of his starts this season. One would assume they would want a guy like Penny if they can't get in on the bigger targets (Peavy, Bedard).

#71 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

From ripping the blog-o-sphere to the DL:

Raul to the DL per Rotoworld

They called up their stud OF from the minors, John Mayberry Jr. I'm not only curious to see how their offense responds to this loss, but also if Charlie decides to give the rook the majority of the ABs or if he splits/favors Bruntlett/Dobbs/Stairs. Regardless, this is a pretty big blow to the Phils. Luckily, the Mets are banged up as well right now.

Edited by bandito0, 18 June 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#72 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

Ryan Howard's consecutive games streak appears likely to end after the Phillies slugger was hospitalized for the second time in two nights with flu symptoms.

Howard in Hospital with Flu Symptoms

---------------

Phillies have lost 5 in a row and 7 out of 8 all in interleague play. (1-2 vs. BOS, 0-3 vs TOR, 0-2 vs BAL)

Madson has a couple of blown saves and allowed a game winning HR in a tie game whic have accounted for 3 of the losses. His last three appearances: 3 IP, 6 hits, 5 ER, 3 HR, 3 BB, 3 K. His ERA has jumped from 1.95 to 3.06.

Hamels goes in the finale against the O's hoping to avoid the sweep. Guthrie pitches for Baltimore.

Fortunately for the Phillies the Mets have an identical 3-7 record in their last 10, so Philadelphia maintains a 2 game lead in the NL East.

Edited by bball831, 21 June 2009 - 11:15 AM.

#73 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Lidge may be on the way back:

Brad Lidge, who pitched a scoreless inning for Double-A Reading on Saturday, is expected to be activated from the 15-day disabled list Wednesday or Friday.

Rotoworld

Good news for Phillies fans. Ryan Madson has been terrible since taking over the closers role (2 BS in 4 SC, ERA 7.83). This is coming from a guy who was lights out as a setup man prior to getting the temp closers job. One has to wonder if his confidence is wavering at all or he just wasn't built to be a closer. Regardless, getting Lidge back should help the Phils break this six game slide as long as he is healthy;.

#74 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (bandito0 @ Jun 23 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lidge may be on the way back:

Rotoworld

Good news for Phillies fans. Ryan Madson has been terrible since taking over the closers role (2 BS in 4 SC, ERA 7.83). This is coming from a guy who was lights out as a setup man prior to getting the temp closers job. One has to wonder if his confidence is wavering at all or he just wasn't built to be a closer. Regardless, getting Lidge back should help the Phils break this six game slide as long as he is healthy;.

Hard to say if he's actually healthy or if they just need him in the 'pen. Guys are dropping like flies out there. Their pitching is woefully short right now.

Edited by luckysox, 24 June 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#75 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (luckysox @ Jun 24 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to say if he's actually healthy or if they just need him in the 'pen. Guys are dropping like flies out there. Their pitching is woefully short right now.

Yeah, Condry and Eyre have went down since Lidge's injury so that could be truth. Also, I felt that when they did DL Lidge, it was almost to give him a chance to let his head clear because he had been so bad prior to going on the DL. They may have realized that they have no other option, as well as the lack of warm bodies in the pen, and decided to activate him. His first appearance should be interesting.

#76 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (bandito0 @ Jun 24 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Condry and Eyre have went down since Lidge's injury so that could be truth. Also, I felt that when they did DL Lidge, it was almost to give him a chance to let his head clear because he had been so bad prior to going on the DL. They may have realized that they have no other option, as well as the lack of warm bodies in the pen, and decided to activate him. His first appearance should be interesting.

I hope he pitches tonight - I am really interested to see what comes of it. God knows they need Madsen back to doing what he did before trying out this closer thing. A "normal" Lidge and Madsen will help straighten things out, even with Eyre and Condry still out. We'll see. I just see so little hope for this club because of the starting pitching. They may well take the East, but I just don't see a big run in the playoffs.

#77 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

Phillies lose to the Rays 10-4. Bastardo can't hold the lead after the Phillies scored 4 in the first inning. He went 3.2 innings giving up 6 ER on 7 hits. After two good starts to start the season he's had two disasters (1 IP 4 ER against Boston and tonight) and one mediocre one (7 IP, 4 ER).

Phillies are now 4-11 during interleague play and their lead in the NL East is down to a 1/2 game.

#78 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jun 25 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phillies lose to the Rays 10-4. Bastardo can't hold the lead after the Phillies scored 4 in the first inning. He went 3.2 innings giving up 6 ER on 7 hits. After two good starts to start the season he's had two disasters (1 IP 4 ER against Boston and tonight) and one mediocre one (7 IP, 4 ER).

Phillies are now 4-11 during interleague play and their lead in the NL East is down to a 1/2 game.

They hit a stretch like this last year in interleague where it seemed like they couldn't win a game. They're in first because the Mets are beat up and not playing exceptionally well and the Marlins had that awful stretch after the 11-1 start where they fell to 4th place.

I'm honestly amazed that they haven't made a move yet to get another pitcher in there. It could be Penny, it could be someone else, but they need another major league caliber arm in that rotation to shore things up. Bastardo needs to go back down and work on developing another pitch to go with his FB. He had a nice little run but I think it's over for now.

#79 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (bandito0 @ Jun 26 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They hit a stretch like this last year in interleague where it seemed like they couldn't win a game. They're in first because the Mets are beat up and not playing exceptionally well and the Marlins had that awful stretch after the 11-1 start where they fell to 4th place.

I'm honestly amazed that they haven't made a move yet to get another pitcher in there. It could be Penny, it could be someone else, but they need another major league caliber arm in that rotation to shore things up. Bastardo needs to go back down and work on developing another pitch to go with his FB. He had a nice little run but I think it's over for now.

Bastardo is such a one trick pony right now - he was when they brught him up, and frankly, I think they knew that and probably got more than they expected from him. They have a couple other guys in AAA who they can try the same trick with (Carpenter, Chacin, Lopez) - but eventually, they need another solid arm. I think Carpenter is on the 40 man, but Chacin and Lopez each have somewhat significant ML experience. Throw 'em against the wall and see if something sticks, I guess.

I would think they'd be interested in someone like Bedard, or maybe Washburn (I am now assuming Penny stays with us) but Bedard is LH (how many do they need???) and will cost more, and Washburn seems so ready to regress any second that I'm not sure they'll part with what Seattle might want (if they even move them). Hard to say...but it would be unusual to see a team with such bad SP make it to the playoffs. Essentially the same staff as last year minus Myers, and no one else is picthing as good as they did last year, even BeautyCole. And, umm, last year, their SP was not so good either. Just got hot at the right time.

#80 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (luckysox @ Jun 26 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, umm, last year, their SP was not so good either. Just got hot at the right time.

Right, but their bullpen isn't in good shape either. Park twisted his knee and looks to be out, Eyre is out, JC Romero hasn't hit his stride yet, and Lidge had a shitty outing tonight, but it was his first since coming off the DL. The lights out bullpen bailed out the mediocre starting pitching multiple times last year. They're sitting as the 17th overall staff in MLB, and they finished 6th overall last year. They're taking on water quickly, and there has to be some kind of urgency in the FO to get something done. They've gotten hot at the right time the last two years, but they won't be in a position to have that happen if they don't get the pitching issue fixed.

And they lost to the Jays tonight. Hamels went 4.2 (105 pitches!), 8 H, 4 ER. He hasn't looked like he did in the postseason last year.

#81 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

“We are disappointed to learn about the alleged incident with a Rays fan and one of our players following Thursday night’s game at Tropicana Field,” the Phillies said Saturday in a statement. “We are in the process of gathering all of the details surrounding the situation. Until such information is provided, it would be inappropriate for us to comment at this time.”

----

Rays fans claims Romero grabbed him by the throat and pushed him after the fan made a steroid comment.

Romero Involved in Incident with Rays Fan

--------------------------------------

In better news for the Phillies, JA Happ threw a CG shutout against the Blue Jays, giving up just 5 hits. He threw 100 pitches and struck out 4 in an 10-0 win. According to Gameday, Happ threw 75 fastballs with an average speed of 89-90 MPH. Only one Blue Jay reached 2nd base and Happ retired the last 10 batters he faced. He faced just 30 batters as he was helped by a couple of DP balls.

#82 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jun 27 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Romero Involved in Incident with Rays Fan

--------------------------------------

In better news for the Phillies, JA Happ threw a CG shutout against the Blue Jays, giving up just 5 hits. He threw 100 pitches and struck out 4 in an 10-0 win. According to Gameday, Happ threw 75 fastballs with an average speed of 89-90 MPH. Only one Blue Jay reached 2nd base and Happ retired the last 10 batters he faced. He faced just 30 batters as he was helped by a couple of DP balls.

Wow, their pitching is just b-a-d bad. Bad on the mound, bad in terms of health, bad off field crap that gets them suspended. I'd think he'll take a seat for quite a few games if he really did something like this. Happ did look good though, and a 5-4 win today was good. But they have littl to no chance with what they have. It's like putting bandaids on an amputated leg. They need to make a sick deal - and I don't think they will with the WS championship in their back pocket from last year. I imagine they'll make a small del, get in the playoffs, win 1 game and tip their caps. That'll be that.

(By the way - in semi-defense of Romero, I've been to a lot of places to watch Sox games, and the fans in St. Pete are some of the meanest I've seen. I spent 3 days down there in April/May, saw 3 games, and just had a terrible experience in terms of Rays fans. The ushers and other Rays staff were great - fans were just a-holes. I'd rather be in Yankee Stadium - really. So, I sorta wish JC had knocked the dude cold.)

#83 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

And the Phillies win an interleague series for the second time this series by beating the Blue Jays 5-4. Old man Moyer got the win after being touched up for 4 runs in the first 3 innings. Brad Lidge gets the save even though he allowed two baserunners before getting an out. A couple of baserunning gaffes bailed him out. The Phils are off today then head to Atlanta for 3 and home for 3 against the Mets this weekend.

#84 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Phillies got swept by the Braves before winning last night against the Mets. Their lead in the NL East is at 1 game over the Marlins and 2 over the Mets and Braves. Bastardo went on the DL and Rodrigo Lopez took his spot last night and went 6.2 giving just 2 runs for the win.

Ryan Madson has hit a rough patch, having a 7.36 ERA with a 2.18 WHIP in the last week. On the flip side, JA Happ continues to impress as he went 7 innings giving up 2 runs in his last start, brining his season line to 5-0, 2.96 ERA, 1.23 WHIP. He has a 6.16 K/9 but a 1.67 K/BB. With Hames being inconsisent, Blanton and Moyer being sub-par, and the injury to Myers, Happ has been the team's MVP keeping the starting pitching afloat and letting the bullpen get a rest on the days he pitches.

Some bad news for Phillies, a push back in the rehab start for Ibanez.

Phillies OF Raul Ibanez (groin) had his first rehab game at Double-A Redding pushed back to Thursday or Friday.

#85 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jul 4 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phillies got swept by the Braves before winning last night against the Mets. Their lead in the NL East is at 1 game over the Marlins and 2 over the Mets and Braves. Bastardo went on the DL and Rodrigo Lopez took his spot last night and went 6.2 giving just 2 runs for the win.

I'm curious to see if Lopez can put a string of good starts together. He has pitched in the majors before so he has experience. They shouldn't be expecting the world from him but at the same time, he could really help out.

#86 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 6355 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Phils get Utley, Ibanez (?!?) voted in and Howard named as a reserve.

Link to Rosters

Link to Article

Ibanez is having a really good year, but has been out for a couple of weeks now, and who knew he is so popular.

Victorino is on the ballot for the final roster spot.

#87 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Phillies Make Charlie Apologize, win 22-1

Ok, so Charlie Manuel didn't apologize to Dusty Baker, yet. The Phillies scored 10 first inning runs en route to 22 runs on 21 hits. Every starter got a hit including 2 hits from Cole Hamels. Cueto was awful going .2 innings giving up 9 ER on 5 hits and 3 walks, Herrera came in and gave up a HR to the first batter he faced (Utley).

The Phillies have now won 4 in a row after sweeping Metsville over the weekend. They've gotten 5 straight solid starting pitching performances. Rodrigo Lopez, Joe Blanton, and Jamie Moyer got to take advantage of the Mets so it'll be interesting to see if they can build on those starts [/Herm Edwards].

Edited by bball831, 06 July 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#88 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

RotoWorld reports:

According to CandelaDeportiva.com, the Phillies have agreed to terms with free agent Pedro Martinez on a one-year, $4 million contract.
We doubt it's true, but given that there has been plenty of speculation linking the two sides of late, it's worth reporting. Pedro to the Phillies does make plenty of sense.

http://www.rotoworld...t/home_MLB.aspx

#89 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

Victorino is hitting .306 with 22 doubles, six triples, six home runs, 39 RBIs and 13 stolen bases. Now he is the second Phillies winner in Final Vote history, joining Bobby Abreu, who won it in 2004.

Victorino Wins Last NL All-Star Spot

-------------------

More Pedro rumors.

Ruben Amaro said that the Phillies have not signed Martinez. Amaro had no comment on whether an agreement has been reached.

Todd Zolecki reports (via Twitter) that Martinez told the Associated Press that his agent is negotiating with the Phillies.

David Murphy reports (via Twitter): “Pedro Martinez’s agent shoots down report, but says interest is mutual between Pedro and Phils. Calls client “close” to making decision.”

Jon Heyman reports (via Twitter) talked to Martinez’s agent who said Pedro decide where he would like to pitch by Sunday.

Phillies and Pedro Close to a Deal?

Edited by bball831, 09 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#90 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

JA Happ with another great performance today as he went 7 innings giving up 1 ER on 4 hits and 2 walks, striking out 4. The Phillies have won 9 out of 10 and 5 in a row as they head into the all star break up 4 games (assuming that the Marlins hold on to a 5-0 lead today). Happ is now 6-0 with a 2.90 ERA and 1.17 WHIP.

During this stretch the starting pitching has been great with only two poor starts in those 10 games. One happened last night, when Hamels got hit for 5 ER in six innings, but the Phillies rallied in the ninth to win as Matt Stairs hit a solo shot and Ryan Howard a 3-run HR to tie it. The Phillies won on a Paul Bako single.

Phillies Last 10 Starts
DATE Pitcher OPP RESULT IP H R ER HR BB SO #Pit Dec.
3-Jul Lopez NYM W 7-2 6.1 6 2 2 0 1 4 96 W(1-0)
4-Jul Moyer NYM W 4-1 6.1 5 1 1 0 1 1 87 W(7-6)
5-Jul Blanton NYM W 2-0 7.1 4 0 0 0 3 5 111 W(5-4)
6-Jul Hamels CIN W 22-1 7 3 1 1 1 0 2 92 W(5-5)
7-Jul Happ CIN L 3-4 7 6 3 3 2 0 7 104 --
8-Jul Lopez CIN W 3-2 5 5 2 2 0 1 4 69 --
9-Jul Moyer CIN W 9-6 5 8 6 6 2 1 2 102 W(8-6)
10-Jul Blanton PIT W 3-2 7.1 4 1 1 1 1 6 103 W(6-4)
11-Jul Hamels PIT W 8-7 6 7 5 5 3 0 6 90 --
12-Jul Happ PIT W 5-2 7 4 1 1 0 2 4 103 W(6-0)

#91 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Pretty good post on a Phillies blog:

It’s an exciting time in the Phillies minor league system, with the Roy Halladay sweepstakes bringing some of the top farmhands into the public eye over the past two weeks. The added attention makes each pitch, each swing that much more difficult for prospects from Lehigh Valley to Williamsport who are trying to impress scouts. So today let’s check in on the progress of some of the players who could be on the block as July comes to a close.

Michael Taylor – Four games into his tenure at triple-A with the Iron Pigs, Taylor has already had some ups and downs. He went hitless in his first two starts, including the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday in which he struck out three times. But the jump to Lehigh Valley is a maturation process, and in the nightcap of that twin bill Taylor adjusted and strutted his stuff. He went 2-for-3 with a single, a two-run homer, a walk and a stolen base. The coming weeks will go a long way toward determining Taylor’s future – both where he might play and how quickly he will arrive in the majors.

Kyle Drabek – Though he has only spent half a season above single-A, Drabek is the name everyone is talking about. He took his first loss with the R-Phils Friday, allowing 6 runs (5 earned) in 6 innings. He walked one and struck out one. Even after getting hit hard, Drabek’s ERA with Reading is 3.25 this season, and his combined average sits at 2.83 between Clearwater and Reading.

Joe Savery – Drabek’s double-A teammate is going through some growing pains on the farm right now. He has allowed 15 runs in his last three starts spanning 18.2 innings, giving up 26 hits and walking 10 batters during that stretch. He took just his second loss of the season against New Britain on Saturday, and his ERA is now up to 3.83.

Dominic Brown – After a month on the disabled list with a broken finger the Phillies 5-tool outfield prospect went on a short rehab assignment with the GCL Phils before rejoining the Threshers in Clearwater. The time off clearly didn’t hurt his swing, as he has hit in each of his three games since getting back to high-A ball. He was 5-for-12 this weekend with three RBI, raising his average to .307. Brown should be on track for a call-up to Reading shortly, and if Taylor is traded away Brown will become the outfield prospect all Phillies fans follow.

Lou Marson – The top catching prospect in the organization (or at least the closest to the majors) has been on a tear of late in Lehigh Valley. Marson has hit in 9 of his last 10 games, batting .469 (15-for-32) over that period with more walks (5) than strikeouts (4). Marson, though, has hit pounded out just two extra-base hits, both doubles, during that stretch. His inability to hit for power and knock in runs is a concern, but even a .300-hitting catcher with no power would be a drastic improvement over the offensive production the Phillies are getting right now from their catchers.

Drew Carpenter – The last two months have been stellar for Carpenter, who had his chance in the majors with a spot start earlier this season. In his last ten starts he is 7-2 with an ERA of 2.00. The last two have been particularly good, as he has lasted 7 innings in each start, allowing one run combined and striking out 17 while walking just three. He is one of the most major-league ready pitchers in the farm system, and though he may not have as high a ceiling as Drabek or teammate Carlos Carrasco, he could be an important trade chip to a team looking to plug a pitcher into their rotation immediately.

Carlos Carrasco – It seems that Carrasco has been knocking on the door of a call-up to the big leagues all season, and at some point the Phillies will have to answer. He pitched 6 innings Saturday, striking out 8 batters while allowing three runs and walking none. He may no longer be someone the Phillies can eye as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but Carrasco is ready to contribute at the highest level. With a bit of focus on his control he could likely step in and give the Phillies 6 innings and 3 runs most nights. A chance to shine under the lights of Citizens Bank Park might allow Carrasco to flourish and become the pitcher this organization expected him to be for the past several years.

Phillies Prospects

#92 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

In their first series after the ASB, the Phillies swept a rain shortened series in Florida. Moyer and Happ each threw a gem and they won a game filled by rain 6-5 in extra innings.

Moyer went 7 innings giving up just 1 hit and no runs. Hamels in the 2nd game of the series went 5 innings gave up 1 run but left they game after a rain delay. JA Happ threw 7 scoreless innings in the finale pushing his record to 7-0.

Jimmy Rollins looks like he's starting to pick it up, in July he's putting up a line of .377/.472/.590/1.062. He's hit 8 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 HR. Having the normal Jimmy Rollins at the top of order, makes the Phillies lineup incredibly deep and balanced.

If I'm the Phillies I make every effort to get Halladay. A triple H rotation of Halladay, Hamels, and Happ would set the Phillies up perfectly for the playoffs. They are up 6.5 games in the NL East and should be able to win that division fairly easily and adding Halladay gives them a great chance to repeat.

#93 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jul 20 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In their first series after the ASB, the Phillies swept a rain shortened series in Florida. Moyer and Happ each threw a gem and they won a game filled by rain 6-5 in extra innings.

Moyer went 7 innings giving up just 1 hit and no runs. Hamels in the 2nd game of the series went 5 innings gave up 1 run but left they game after a rain delay. JA Happ threw 7 scoreless innings in the finale pushing his record to 7-0.

Jimmy Rollins looks like he's starting to pick it up, in July he's putting up a line of .377/.472/.590/1.062. He's hit 8 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 HR. Having the normal Jimmy Rollins at the top of order, makes the Phillies lineup incredibly deep and balanced.

If I'm the Phillies I make every effort to get Halladay. A triple H rotation of Halladay, Hamels, and Happ would set the Phillies up perfectly for the playoffs. They are up 6.5 games in the NL East and should be able to win that division fairly easily and adding Halladay gives them a great chance to repeat.

I think Happ goes if they pick up Halladay...he's quickly becoming a young, proven commodity and the Jays would be foolish not to try to get him. Honestly? I'm not sure I make the trade if I'm the Phils. All of a sudden they are looking like a shoe-in in the East, and their pitching is starting to come together the way the Soxs' did in late May when beckett and lester started to be Beckett and Lester. Hamels and Blanton are a good top 2 right now. Blanton's era is under 3 in the last month and his k rate is up near 9 in that time as well (7.9 on the year) and that is looking like it may continue. Happ as a 3rd starter is solid, and Moyer is beginning to look 46 instead of 108. Plus, Sox killer Rodrigo Lopez is throwing quality innings as a backup's backup, and Pedro as your #5 could be worse. Offense is rocking, 3 or more good arms in the pipeline for the next couple of years...maybe they stand pat. They'd still have a very solid chance at repeating, and not lose a bunch of kids that can help they stay competitive for the next 5 years.

Philly talk radio will be really fun in a few days.

#94 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (luckysox @ Jul 21 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...maybe they stand pat. They'd still have a very solid chance at repeating, and not lose a bunch of kids that can help they stay competitive for the next 5 years.

Philly talk radio will be really fun in a few days.

They should stand pat. They have two quality arms in Kyle Drabek and Carlos Carrasco in the minors. Along with J.A. Happ, the Phillies now have young pitching able to replace Moyer, Pedro, and Rodrigo Lopez within a year or two. Brett Myers is also on the DL. Everyone knows you can never have enough pitching, and while Halladay is a stud, is it worth sending two of these "reserve" pitchers along with Victorino or another OF prospect (Brown or Taylor) for Hallday? I'm not sold. I feel they have enough to repeat as is, and while Halladay/Hamels/Blanton looks nice for a postseason rotation, and missing Myers will hurt, I still believe they have enough to at least get out of the NL.

Philly talk radio is dominated by the Eagles unfortunately. It sucks because this is a good team with a lot of things going on.

In other news, the Phils throw relievers Chad Durbin and J.C. Romero on the DL. They are being replaced by RP Tyler Walker and AP Andrew Carpenter.

#95 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

If the Blue Jays' asking price for Roy Halladay is J.A. Happ, top pitching prospect Kyle Drabek and high-ceiling outfield prospect Dominic Brown, the Phillies aren't buying.

The Blue Jays had formally proposed that package to the Phillies on Thursday, in exchange for the 32-year-old Cy Young award-winner, ESPN's Peter Gammons confirmed Friday.

But two baseball people familiar with the Phillies' thinking told ESPN.com on Saturday that that's not a deal the Phillies are willing to make.

"The ball is in their court," said Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, who did not sound optimistic that a deal would happen.

Phillies: Toronto Wants Too Much

#96 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Jamie Moyer lives on the edge, but still tosses 6 2/3 shutout innings to lead the Phils to a 6-2 win last night over the D'Backs. He just wins games for this team and has really stepped up as the third starter. He allowed 6 hits and walked 4, had the bases loaded in the 3rd before getting an out and escaped with no damage. I don't know how long he can sustain it, but this is a very positive sign, considering the Halladay deal looks all but dead.

Hamels vs. Haren tonight for anyone with an MLB package. It should be a pretty good pitching matchup.

#97 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (bandito0 @ Jul 28 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie Moyer lives on the edge, but still tosses 6 2/3 shutout innings to lead the Phils to a 6-2 win last night over the D'Backs. He just wins games for this team and has really stepped up as the third starter. He allowed 6 hits and walked 4, had the bases loaded in the 3rd before getting an out and escaped with no damage. I don't know how long he can sustain it, but this is a very positive sign, considering the Halladay deal looks all but dead.

Hamels vs. Haren tonight for anyone with an MLB package. It should be a pretty good pitching matchup.

Should be a good matchup...but it feels like you never know which hamels will show up this season. He's been pretty inconsistent - but I always expect he's about to throw 8 innnings of 2 hit ball whenever he takes the mound.

Moyer has been unreal - it's like watching Wake - you're either getting a solid, solid performance, or you're getting shelled. Very little in between.

#98 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

And in case you haven't heard:
The Cleveland Indians traded Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco to the Philadelphia Phillies for four minor leaguers on Wednesday.

Triple-A right-hander Carlos Carrasco, Class A righty Jason Knapp, catcher Lou Marson -- the likely heir apparent to Victor Martinez -- and shortstop Jason Donald were sent to Cleveland.

I'm pretty impressed by this deal, even though Lee is yet another lefty starter in that rotation. He may also get hit a little bit more because he is more of a flyball pitcher and balls hit in that park tend to carry a bit. He doesn't make them the team to beat like Halladay would have, but he does strengthen that rotation considerably (To the pen with Rodrigo Lopez?).

Also, Francisco addresses a need for a right handed power bat/4th OF. The Phils did well with this one.

#99 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Cliff Lee makes his debut tonight against the Giants. John Mayberry Jr. and Steven Register were sent to AAA Lehigh Valley to make room for Lee and Ben Francisco. A lot of people have been making the claim that the Phillies are now the team to beat in the NL.

From a Phillies blog:
Lee’s presence alone makes this Phillies team the one to beat in the National League, and evens the playing field with the Yankees, Red Sox, and others in the American League.

Do people agree with this?

Dodgers: 63-39, 499 RS, 403 RA +96 Run Differential
Phillies: 58-42, 539 RS, 465 RA +74 Run Differential

The Phillies have been hot, thanks to some very good pitching recently, but I think it will be interesting how the starting pitching continues perform since Blanton and Moyer were shaky at the beginning of the year.

#100 bandito0

• 650 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (bball831 @ Jul 31 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliff Lee makes his debut tonight against the Giants. John Mayberry Jr. and Steven Register were sent to AAA Lehigh Valley to make room for Lee and Ben Francisco. A lot of people have been making the claim that the Phillies are now the team to beat in the NL.

From a Phillies blog:

Do people agree with this?

Dodgers: 63-39, 499 RS, 403 RA +96 Run Differential
Phillies: 58-42, 539 RS, 465 RA +74 Run Differential

The Phillies have been hot, thanks to some very good pitching recently, but I think it will be interesting how the starting pitching continues perform since Blanton and Moyer were shaky at the beginning of the year.

I'd want to see Lee pitch a couple of games at Citizen's Bank before making that claim. He looked really good last night against the Giants, but I wonder how he will do as a flyball pitcher in that bandbox.