Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Baseball bats

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 TimNJsoxfan

• 2,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Lookin online for youth bats and the prices are friggin ridiculous! Looking to spend around $50-$70 on a bat for my son he can use the next couple years. Any suggestions...dont want to spend $200 on a bat until hes in HS.

#2 Buck Showalter

• SoSH Member

• 5,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Lookin online for youth bats and the prices are friggin ridiculous! Looking to spend around $50-$70 on a bat for my son he can use the next couple years. Any suggestions...dont want to spend $200 on a bat until hes in HS.

craigslist

EBay

www.baseballwarehouse.com

www.baseballexp.com

#3 TimNJsoxfan

• 2,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Im sorry...I wasnt clear enough. I know where I can get em, im looking for suggestions of what brand/model to get.

Thanks

#4 leftfieldlegacy

• 420 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Tim
Check out Extra Innings in East Hanover
Last season I bought my son (10 at the time) an Easton "Reflex" bat there . I think I paid around $70.

His is a 30 inch bat weighing only 17.5 ounces giving it a -12.5 ratio which, for the price, was unbeatable. My son loves the bat and many of his friends who used it ended up buying one.

#5 JimMonaghan

• 369 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

Tim -

If it's not too far a drive for you, the pro shop at Professional Baseball Instruction in Upper Saddle River NJ has a decent selection of bats at good prices.

#6 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

How old is he, what leagues does he play in. You need to be very careful that whatever bat you get meets the required specs of the league he'll be in. Little League, if I understand correctly has some new regulations in place this year - and some of the bats meeting the spec for the Jr/Sr divisions (13+) are reportedly somewhat hard to find.

#7 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

CHANGES/UPDATES TO THE LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL®
RULES AND REGULATIONS – 2009

Rule 1.10
What is changed: Reduces the maximum diameter for a bat in the Junior League Baseball division from 2 3/4 inches
to 2 5/8 inches. (Maximum diameter for bats in Senior League and Big League remains at 2 5/8 inches.)
1.10 - The bat must be a baseball bat which meets Little League specifications and standards as noted in this rule. It
shall be a smooth, rounded stick and made of wood or of material and color tested and proved acceptable to Little
League standards.
Little League (Majors) and below: it shall not be more than thirty-three (33) inches in length nor more than two and
one-quarter (2¼) inches in diameter. Non-wood bats shall be printed with a BPF (bat performance factor) of 1.15 or
less;
Junior League: it shall not be more than 34 inches in length; nor more than 2 5/8 inches in diameter, and if wood,
not less than fifteen-sixteenths (15/16) inches in diameter (7/8 inch for bats less than 30”) at its smallest part.
Senior/Big League: it shall not be more than 36 inches in length, nor more than 2 5/8 inches in diameter, and if
wood, not less than fifteen-sixteenths (15/16) inches in diameter (7/8 inch for bats less than 30”) at its smallest part.
The bat shall not weigh, numerically, more than three ounces less than the length of the bat (e.g., a 33-inch-Iong bat
cannot weigh less than 30 ounces). All non-wood bats shall meet the BESR performance standard, and such bats
shall be labeled with a permanent certification mark.

http://www.littlelea...09_10-30-08.pdf
http://www.lakelandc.../newbatregs.asp

im looking for suggestions of what brand/model to get.

Two thoughts--1) get the lightest bat available in your price range (light bat allows player to generate maximum bat speed and allows player to learn muscle memory more effectively than heavy bats) -- 2) let the player choose from the alternatives. IMO, never buy a bat for a youth league player-let him/her decide. Deciding is 90% of the fun and living with the decision is an essential lesson.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 09 March 2009 - 08:23 PM.

#8 Sooner Steve

• 1,221 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

my seventeen year old is a junior playing high school baseball here in oklahoma...his older brother played up until high school and his next youngest brother plays ball...we've had our fair share of experience w/bats over the years...the seventeen year old prefers the easton composite bats and has for several years now...with that being said - he also likes the new tpx exo grid and vascilates between the two...demarini also makes a nice composite that several of his teammates use but he personally does not care much for

depending upon your son's age you can't go wrong w/any of the big three (easton, louisville slugger, demarini) - it just depends upon what he prefers (composite vs single piece)...make sure you know your league's rules regarding length to weight ratio...if he's playing junior high or senior high ball his bat will need to be besr certified (bat exit speed rating)...it will be stamped on the bat - if it isn't the umpire (if he's worth his salt) will catch it and remove it from the game

if you purchase a bat new make sure you have a warranty - we've never had to use one but several teammates have...also - w/these high dollar bats you want to ensure that you don't use it in cold weather (my son doesn't use his best bats when it's under 40 degrees) or in a hitting cage w/the dimpled bp balls...these will kill your bat...my advice is to have a cold weather/cage bat that he uses expressley in those situations...it can be a used bat of the type your considering and it gives him a chance to 'test drive' it as well

i've found some great deals on ebay - i won't do business w/the local guy here in norman b/c he's a douchebag and his stuff is waaaay overpriced...another good thing to do is check w/your big box sporting good stores around the end of the calendar year and into very early january - if they have last year's models they will price them to move...you won't have as much selection but it's a good way to get a bat to test it out

his younger brother gets the 'hand me downs' so he doesn't really have an opinion and from the looks of it he's going to end up a pitcher - if anything

the only one's i'd tell you to stay away from is the 'mattingly v-grip' bat...one of my older son's teammates bought one brand new last year and broke it on the first swing...jury's still out on nike's composite bats...here's a good resource for more:

http://www.baseballbatreviewsblog.com/

#9 Buck Showalter

• SoSH Member

• 5,019 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

For $70.00 - I just purchased a Nike youth bat (-12.5 at 28 Inches) at Sports Authority.

I just checked their website to see if I could find a link - but no dice.

If your son is Little League age and you're interested in more information --- PM me and I can provide it for you.

#10 leftfieldlegacy

• 420 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

http://www.nj.com/sp...y_batmaker.html
A little change of direction for this topic but I thought it appropriate for this thread.

An MIT graduate who has been woodworking since he was 15, Dill developed his bat design after making a vase out of joined wood from a tree in his backyard. Impressed by the vase's strength, the lifelong Red Sox fan had the idea for an unconventional wood bat made out of wedges that fit together, like Trivial Pursuit pieces, rather than a single piece of wood. The pieces are adhered with strong glue and 36 tons of pressure.

The design allows the tight grain of the sweet spot to cover the bat's full circumference. The wedges are also the reason the design is billed as shatterproof, with a one-year guarantee. While traditional bats can shatter into multiple pieces when fractures in the wood spread through grain lines after impact with a ball, in the Radial Bat those grain lines are contained to a wedge and never pass all the way through the bat.

#11 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,252 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

My son just moved into the -3 level of school ball (he's on the Freshman team) and the HS bats are $300 - $400. So you need to adjust your future price range.

How old and how big is your son? You can still find good deals when they are swinging drop 10 and 12's and the difference isn't that big of a deal until they can swing fast enough to hit it 220+ feet. If he's young 8-10, go find a bat that he likes the look of, if he's 11-12 and pretty strong, we need more info.

How far is he hitting it, what size bat does he currently use, how long before he's done and has to move up to -3's, etc.

#12 TimNJsoxfan

• 2,228 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

My son just moved into the -3 level of school ball (he's on the Freshman team) and the HS bats are $300 - $400. So you need to adjust your future price range.

How old and how big is your son? You can still find good deals when they are swinging drop 10 and 12's and the difference isn't that big of a deal until they can swing fast enough to hit it 220+ feet. If he's young 8-10, go find a bat that he likes the look of, if he's 11-12 and pretty strong, we need more info.

How far is he hitting it, what size bat does he currently use, how long before he's done and has to move up to -3's, etc.

Thanks for all the advice. I had a slightly used Vexxum 31/18 lined up, but it was stolen out of the guys car before we could make a deal. Ended up getting a new 31/18 Easton Reflex bat for $70, not top of the line but not a cheapy bat. He will be able to use it this year and next. hes 10 and in Little League, minors this year majors next year.

#13 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 13,045 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

Help me, because shopping for bats is going to make me throw my monitor out the window.

I'm supposed to pick out 4 bats for my town to buy for my summer team. It's been a couple of years since I've coached a metal-bat team. Last time around, we had some delightful Easton Magnum -7 bats that had wonderful pop. I can't stand bats that are more than -7 or maybe -8. These crap 31/19 bats I'm looking at, there's no chance of being able to consistently handle the inside pitch. So my question is, do they even make metal bats that are less than -9 these days, and if so, what's a good source/brand?

edit :2 1/4 inch barrel maximum, this is a small diamond team.

Edited by JimBoSox9, 01 June 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Buck Showalter

• SoSH Member

• 5,019 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (JimBoSox9 @ Jun 1 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Help me, because shopping for bats is going to make me throw my monitor out the window.

I'm supposed to pick out 4 bats for my town to buy for my summer team. It's been a couple of years since I've coached a metal-bat team. Last time around, we had some delightful Easton Magnum -7 bats that had wonderful pop. I can't stand bats that are more than -7 or maybe -8. These crap 31/19 bats I'm looking at, there's no chance of being able to consistently handle the inside pitch. So my question is, do they even make metal bats that are less than -9 these days, and if so, what's a good source/brand?

edit :2 1/4 inch barrel maximum, this is a small diamond team.

http://www.justbats....iew.aspx?p=8149

I just purchased this composite bat for a 10 year-old.

Nice weight distribution with a pretty large sweet-spot...and he's gaining a bit of confidence with it as the ball seems to gain life off the bat.

I'd recommend it.

#15 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 13,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

http://www.justbats....iew.aspx?p=8525

I dunno why these weren't listed on Easton's own website, but that's exactly what I'm looking for.

#16 Sooner Steve

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

as far as metals go you can't go wrong w/tpx or easton - it just depends upon which you prefer - the top of the line composite or the top of the line single piece...

my son switched back to tpx using the 2009 exogrid this year after switching to easton a few seasons back when they had the upper hand w/the stealth...demarini also makes a nice composite as well as lower priced one-piece as well as nike...

btw - you think buying bats is making you crazy? wait until you have to start buying woodies every other day...we went thru several ash models (tpx - eason - rawlings) before finally (crossing our fingers) having landed on mizuno's maples

#17 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,719 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (JimBoSox9 @ Jun 2 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.justbats....iew.aspx?p=8525

I dunno why these weren't listed on Easton's own website, but that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Jim, if you haven't already made your purchase, Dick's Sporting Goods has the exact same bat for $19.99 as opposed to the $34.99 on the link you gave.

Edited by Yaz4Ever, 10 June 2009 - 07:20 AM.

#18 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,198 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Sooner Steve @ Jun 9 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as far as metals go you can't go wrong w/tpx or easton - it just depends upon which you prefer - the top of the line composite or the top of the line single piece...

my son switched back to tpx using the 2009 exogrid this year after switching to easton a few seasons back when they had the upper hand w/the stealth...demarini also makes a nice composite as well as lower priced one-piece as well as nike...

btw - you think buying bats is making you crazy? wait until you have to start buying woodies every other day...we went thru several ash models (tpx - eason - rawlings) before finally (crossing our fingers) having landed on mizuno's maples

If you are using wood bats, I highly recommend birch bats from Barnstable Bat Company. They use them in the Cape League and they rarely break. My son has used one in HS wood bat tournaments for the past two years and loves it. He's a senior this year.

Sports Authority is having a sale on metal bats right now. Anywhere from $50 off to $170 off.

#19 boogerpressley

• 621 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (absintheofmalaise @ Jun 10 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are using wood bats, I highly recommend birch bats from Barnstable Bat Company. They use them in the Cape League and they rarely break. My son has used one in HS wood bat tournaments for the past two years and loves it. He's a senior this year.

I second this recommendation. We use them at the indoor facility I currently teach at. Solid bats.

#20 domdimaggio

• 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (boogerpressley @ Jun 12 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second this recommendation. We use them at the indoor facility I currently teach at. Solid bats.

i second that second.

#21 dylanmarsh

• 4,857 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (absintheofmalaise @ Jun 10 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sports Authority is having a sale on metal bats right now. Anywhere from $50 off to $170 off.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. My family takes pride in what they do. I'll pass this along to them.

#22 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,198 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (dylanmarsh @ Aug 1 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My family takes pride in what they do. I'll pass this along to them.

I've been telling folks about your bats every chance I get. Excellent work they do.
You helped arrange for a tour of the "factory" for my son, mabrowndog and myself back in the summer of 2005. I really appreciated that.

#23 dylanmarsh

• 4,857 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (absintheofmalaise @ Aug 1 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been telling folks about your bats every chance I get. Excellent work they do.
You helped arrange for a tour of the "factory" for my son, mabrowndog and myself back in the summer of 2005. I really appreciated that.

Ahhh, ok. I knew mabrowndog was one of them, but I couldn't remember the other SoSH member. I was pretty new back then and was still a year away from becoming a member. I'm glad you guys dug it. Thomas and Chris love what they do and take great care with their product. If you ever want to check it out again, just give them a call. They're busy during the summer, but always welcome folks to check out the process and chat baseball.

#24 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,799 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (dylanmarsh @ Aug 2 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhh, ok. I knew mabrowndog was one of them, but I couldn't remember the other SoSH member. I was pretty new back then and was still a year away from becoming a member. I'm glad you guys dug it. Thomas and Chris love what they do and take great care with their product. If you ever want to check it out again, just give them a call. They're busy during the summer, but always welcome folks to check out the process and chat baseball.
Does BBC make a 30" 27 oz. bat with 2-5/8 inch barrel, preferably with a non-tapered handle?

#25 Leon Trotsky

• 1,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Just bought two Barnstable Bats myself - hope to get them by the weekend. They are pretty awesome.

#26 dylanmarsh

• 4,857 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Aug 3 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does BBC make a 30" 27 oz. bat with 2-5/8 inch barrel, preferably with a non-tapered handle?

They can pretty much make whatever. Just give them a call. 1-888-549-8046

#27 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Ordered one in a rush today. Just great personal service.

I've got a 13 year old son playing on a 16U travel team and we're in our first wood bat tourney this weekend. What I called and explained was that my son swings a 31 drop 3 metal and is facing some 17u and 18u teams in some tournaments and we're seeing pitching up into the mid 80's. He's having no trouble getting his Voodoo around (which has amazed me this fall), but the wood bats we practice with are heavy and he drags them through the zone.

What he needed was the lightest 31 or 32 they could find and ship today. I think it was Chris (female) who called me twice today and explained that she weighed a bunch of 32's and was able to find one that was around 29 ounces, they were going to go ahead and cup the end, engrave his name, and 2 day ship it to me so I'd have it by Thursday. It would come in at around a 32/28 once cupped.

Should be perfect.

Just unbelievable personal service.

#28 chester

• 1,043 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

Randomly saw this thread right after reading this article. Interesting and fun story.

"From Little League to bigs, bayou batman connects"

http://www.google.co...mDGoBQD9BFKO280

I suggest reading the whole thing but the gist is it is about a guy who wanted a wooden bat for his kid so he made one, and ended up turning it into a business selling to some of the top MLB hitters.

and...

One of them was used by shortstop Orlando Cabrera during the Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series run. The letters "CB" are inscribed on it, which Marucci said stands for "Curse Buster," a reference to the since-broken "Curse of the Bambino."

Edited by chester, 24 October 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#29 dylanmarsh

• 4,857 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

With Abs permission, I wanted to give you guys a heads up about an open house the Barnstable Bat Company is holding on December 11th from 9am to 3pm. They're offering 15% off any bat on the showroom floor and can personalize any bat right there. These make great gifts.

Here's a link for the open house details: http://www.checkswin...source=activity

Here's the physical address of the showroom and workshop:

40 Pleasant Pines Ave
Centerville, MA 02632

888-549-8046

#30 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

For any of you that have sons that are thinking about playing college baseball, I would recommend buying a BBCOR bat. The NCAA has changed it's bat regulations and a BESR-certified bat(which is basically any aluminum bat on the market) is no longer acceptable to use. The BBCOR bat is designed to have the same exit velocity and performance as wooden bats.

Wilson has a good BBCOR bat among other options.

#31 Sooner Steve

• 1,221 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

For any of you that have sons that are thinking about playing college baseball, I would recommend buying a BBCOR bat. The NCAA has changed it's bat regulations and a BESR-certified bat(which is basically any aluminum bat on the market) is no longer acceptable to use. The BBCOR bat is designed to have the same exit velocity and performance as wooden bats.

Wilson has a good BBCOR bat among other options.

i don't know about the ncaa but the naia has done this - one of my sons plays college ball at an naia school & he was telling me about this change & how his exogrid tpx is no longer legal...my guess is it will work its way up the levels of ball but will be met w/stiff resistance at the ncaa division one level

#32 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

i don't know about the ncaa but the naia has done this - one of my sons plays college ball at an naia school & he was telling me about this change & how his exogrid tpx is no longer legal...my guess is it will work its way up the levels of ball but will be met w/stiff resistance at the ncaa division one level

The NCAA has already put in this regulation in for this season as I said above. Wilson, Nike, Louisville, etc. have made BBCOR bats. We got 2 samples in for the fall and the balls aren't flying as far as they did with regular metal bats.

#33 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

The second season of BBCOR bats are out and FWIW this is the info based on feedback I've heard from various college players and bat distributers I know...

The Easton S1 is getting rave reviews, so that is the hot bat right now. The 5150 is still a solid bat, and the DeMarini Voodoo and Exogrid are solid also. In all bats, the overall balance and loads are greatly improved, so there is more to choose from this season. Last year it was 5150 or bust. By the end of the season, I didn't see many other bats in hands of kids that actually had a choice. I'm going to have my son test the ones he thinks he wants before we buy an new one. Still has last years 5150, but it was purchased late, so its still pretty new. Probably going to be a shiny BP bat...

#34 loshjott

• 3,852 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

The second season of BBCOR bats are out and FWIW this is the info based on feedback I've heard from various college players and bat distributers I know...

The Easton S1 is getting rave reviews, so that is the hot bat right now. The 5150 is still a solid bat, and the DeMarini Voodoo and Exogrid are solid also. In all bats, the overall balance and loads are greatly improved, so there is more to choose from this season. Last year it was 5150 or bust. By the end of the season, I didn't see many other bats in hands of kids that actually had a choice. I'm going to have my son test the ones he thinks he wants before we buy an new one. Still has last years 5150, but it was purchased late, so its still pretty new. Probably going to be a shiny BP bat...

My son has last year's Exogrid. He's been happy with it. Let us know how the S1 tests out for you...

#35 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

We have DeMarini Voodoos and M2M's and we love them. We were one of the best hitting teams in the country last season with them.

#36 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 11,183 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

My son (U12 travel and Majors for Little League) recently purchased a Nike Aero CX2 and he is very happy with it. The good news is that its an approved bat for Little Legue. The bad news is that it isn't cheap (say $200-250). As an added bonus, the Nike composite handle and big barrel bats tend to have a louder "ping" when you hit the ball with the sweet spot.

#37 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Anyone have any info on the new season of BBCOR bats? What's hot and what's not usually rises to the surface about now after breaking in periods, looking for any info from players as to how new bats are performing.

#38 southcarolina

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Anyone have any info on the new season of BBCOR bats? What's hot and what's not usually rises to the surface about now after breaking in periods, looking for any info from players as to how new bats are performing.

My 12 year old (6th grade) takes BP occasionally with a bunch of the B team players (7th and 8th graders) from the local AAAA high school and most of them are swinging the white Marucci Cat 5 drop 3's. Im not sure about the older kids in the program. The Cat 5's seem to have a ton of pop. Of course since my son is still in LL/12U TB i dont see a lot of drop 3 bats. But of the 8 or 10 regulars at the optional BP sessions, i think all of them swing the Marucci most of the time (when they arent swinging their Baum wood bats) The only negative is the obnoxiously loud ping they make. Its almost painful to stand near the cage when they hit with them

#39 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Go for the DeMarini Voodoo or M2M's. We've used those at the college level the past 2 seasons and have had good success.

#40 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,415 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ok ... so let me get this straight. The DiMarini Voodoo (in this case for Little League -13) is approved for use given that it has a composite handle but an alloy barrel? Just want to make sure before I drop the cash.

Practice starts this weekend. I can't imagine actually having 3 weeks of practice before our first game. This is unheard of ....

#41 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Ok ... so let me get this straight. The DiMarini Voodoo (in this case for Little League -13) is approved for use given that it has a composite handle but an alloy barrel? Just want to make sure before I drop the cash.

Practice starts this weekend. I can't imagine actually having 3 weeks of practice before our first game. This is unheard of ....

This site has all of DeMarini's bats on it. It says what they are approved for.

http://www.demarini.com/demarini/category.jsp?JSESSIONID=GQpTP03RqpqLKnnbpyKL79syhQdvcCH8jzGBwzVndml41yCryL1m!-962270202&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198674741270&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302760025

#42 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

My 12 year old (6th grade) takes BP occasionally with a bunch of the B team players (7th and 8th graders) from the local AAAA high school and most of them are swinging the white Marucci Cat 5 drop 3's. Im not sure about the older kids in the program. The Cat 5's seem to have a ton of pop. Of course since my son is still in LL/12U TB i dont see a lot of drop 3 bats. But of the 8 or 10 regulars at the optional BP sessions, i think all of them swing the Marucci most of the time (when they arent swinging their Baum wood bats) The only negative is the obnoxiously loud ping they make. Its almost painful to stand near the cage when they hit with them

The Cat5 is illegal in the 33 and 34 inch lengths. It's still approved for the 31 and 32 inch length, but the long ones did not pass the BBCOR exit speed tests after breaking in. So they're out.

We are a month away from a new bat, leaning toward the S1, the Black Marucci, or the Nike Aero Fuse (lots of attention on that bat in the last few weeks). Still swinging the 5150 Velo, he likes that for now.

#43 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 11,183 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Two things, to correct an earlier post, my son has the Nike MC2 (not the CX2). It is still approved for Little League play. The Aero Fuse, on the other hand, was removed from the approved list last month. Here is a link to the most recent Little League approved bats

#44 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

There is a bat store upstate that has a demo cage, so we were able to test the Easton's and the Demarini's. Of the 5 he tried, he liked the Voodoo the best. He tested the 2012, and the 2013 is coming out. He's crushing his Velo right now, so no real urgency to get a new bat. Won't be playing any games for a month or so anyway, but he did like the Voodoo and the ball was jumping off his bat with that one compared to the Eastons.

He broke his Barnstable woodie in the cage yesterday. Cracked clean in two on an end shot. It was a a good bat though.

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 14 April 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#45 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Got a brand new 33/30 2012 DeMarini Voodoo for sale if anyone wants it. $100. Less than 50 swings. Bought it on ebay because the S1 broke and we didn't think they'd replace it since it was already a replacement bat. So we bought the Voodoo so he'd have something. The day we got the Voodoo, Easton emailed that they'd replace the S1 yet again. So we've got 3 33/30's right now. Surplus.

Literally brand new. Figured I'd post here before I put it on ebay.

#46 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just a tip for anyone who is interested in Marucci metal bats: during the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA decertified the Cat-5 and Cat-5 Black bats. If you are a parent of a high school kid, I'd get them out of that bat and into another company's bats.

#47 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 16,206 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Just a tip for anyone who is interested in Marucci metal bats: during the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA decertified the Cat-5 and Cat-5 Black bats. If you are a parent of a high school kid, I'd get them out of that bat and into another company's bats.

They decertified them _during_ the tournament? That seems iffy to me.

#48 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,252 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Here is the ruling, and here is a website on how to return the bat. I think Marrucci will replace the bat that is now banned with a complying bat.

VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL

MEMORANDUM

June 6, 2012

TO: Head Baseball Coaches, Conference Commissioners, Compliance Officers

and Coordinators of Umpires.

Baseball Rules Committee

SUBJECT: Decertification of Marucci CAT-52 and Black bats.

This memo serves as the NCAA’s official notice of the decertification of the

Marucci CAT-52 34-inch and Black 33-inch and 34-inch models. Effective

immediately, these bats will not be allowed for use in any NCAA baseball

competition.

For ease of reference, photos of the bats are below:

The NCAA originally notified Marucci of this decertification in April, at which time Marucci

filed suit against the NCAA. A temporary restraining order preventing the decertification

of the bats was issued immediately and the district court ordered the proceedings to be

kept under seal. On June 5, the district court unsealed the case and dissolved the

temporary restraining order against the NCAA, thus permitting the NCAA to proceed

with the decertifying of the bats.

This was the second time Marucci was notified of one of their bats being

decertified. In February, the Marucci Cat-52 33-inch model was found to be out of

compliance and was decertified at that time. Team representatives are asked to check

your team’s stock of bats and withhold these bats if your team is in possession of any.

Conference administrators are asked to share this information with your umpires as well.

If any of these bats are attempted to be used during competition, it should be considered an illegal bat and

subject to NCAA Baseball Rule 1-12-b, (see the penalty section for procedures).

In 2011, the NCAA implemented a baseball bat testing standard called the

Baseball Bat Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) measurement. The decision to

implement the standard was rooted in preserving the integrity of the game and

ensuring the safety of student-athletes – as some non-wood bats hit the ball

significantly faster and farther than wood bats, they can create a significant

competitive advantage and also put players at greater risk of injury. The NCAA

certfies only those non-wood bats that perform like their wood counterparts to be

eligible for competition for this reason. All bats are tested prior to and throughout

the baseball season to ensure they are within the BBCOR standards. If a group of

a specific model of bats (three or more bats tested) are found to fail the

compliance test, they are decertified and removed from use in NCAA

competition.

For any questions on this decision, please contact Ty Halpin (Playing Rules,

[email protected]) or Cameron Schuh (Public and Media Relations,

[email protected]) at the NCAA. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

JH:clm

cc: Mr. Gene McArtor

Baseball Rules Committee

Selected NCAA Staff Members

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 29 June 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#49 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,329 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

They decertified them _during_ the tournament? That seems iffy to me.

They can decertify a bat anytime they want to. During the CWS, they test all of your bats and if one doesn't pass inspection you can't use it.

#50 Just a bit outside

• 1,119 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

I live in Colorado and my 12 year old is looking for a wood bat that is about 30-31 inches. Any suggestions for a good wood bat that I can order online?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users