Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Is it 7:10 yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

02/23/2009 8:38 PM ET
Boston Red Sox 2009 regular season game times to move from 7:05 p.m. to 7:10 p.m.

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox today announced that start times for 2009 regular season games played at Fenway Park previously scheduled for 7:05 p.m. will be moved to 7:10 p.m. This time change will not affect games scheduled for other start times, including Sunday match-ups as well as weekday and Saturday matinees.

"During the week approximately 60 percent of our fans enter the ballpark after 6:30 p.m. Moving the starts by even a few minutes will give them a little more time to make it to Fenway Park from work or home, take advantage of pregame festivities and ballpark amenities, and reach their seats before the first pitch. And if fans are enjoying the game broadcast, they will have more opportunity to listen to the expanded pregame show on WRKO/WEEI or catch the first pitch on NESN," said Larry Lucchino, Red Sox President/CEO.

Saturday night game start times were also moved from 7:05 to 7:10 to maintain scheduling consistency.

The time adjustment will not require any alteration in batting practice or broadcast schedules for the Red Sox and opposing teams. The change should not affect the timing of pregame activities, Fenway Park-related operations or length of game. Gates will continue to open two hours prior to first pitch.

Additionally, the August 16 game against the Texas Rangers has been moved to 2:05 p.m. from its original start time of 8:05 p.m.

http://boston.redsox...e...sp&c_id=bos

#2 IpswichSox

• 1717 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

http://boston.redsox...e...sp&c_id=bos

And in addition to accommodating tardy fans, the time switch also conveniently allows NESN sell a new block of ads right before the first pitch.

Not to be cynical or anything.

#3 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

And in addition to accommodating tardy fans, the time switch also conveniently allows NESN sell a new block of ads right before the first pitch.

Not to be cynical or anything.

Bingo.
What's five minutes more time when you're getting to the park? Fluctuations in traffic can make your travel time vary more than that much easily.

#4 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 34375 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

This is either a sign that ad sales are very strong, with more time blocks needed to be created, or very weak, prompting more prime ad blocks as a carrot for skittish corporations who want a greater assurance of return on their marketing investment.

I'm leaning toward the latter.

#5 Bongorific

• 4568 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

This is either a sign that ad sales are very strong, with more time blocks needed to be created, or very weak, prompting more prime ad blocks as a carrot for skittish corporations who want a greater assurance of return on their marketing investment.

Either way, it's just another way to fit in more ads and make more money. 7:05 had a nicer ring to it, but if the Sox need to make minor tweaks like this to remain one of the most profitable MLB teams during a recession then I'm ok with it. I'm sure we'll see even more creative and/or drastic moves across MLB this season.

#6 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5246 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

Another explanation on the very weak side of the question - NESN not getting the rates they used to and needing to create more volume to compensate.

#7 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5149 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

The change probably also helps with concession sales -- more time to get that beer and hot dog before first pitch.

#8 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 8713 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

If they just pushed it back one more minute I bet they could get another endorsement.

#9 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7744 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

Last year they never actually started at 7:05pm - Now they won't start until 7:15pm. Very Lame. I already get home at 12:30 am or 1:00 am. The Red Sox constant desire for more and more money is getting to be rather annoying.

#10 Dan Murfman

• 2297 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

If they just pushed it back one more minute I bet they could get another endorsement.

They already sponsor the White Sox starting time.

#11 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2867 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

The change probably also helps with concession sales -- more time to get that beer and hot dog before first pitch.

Fans won't be in the park any earlier.

Gates will continue to open two hours prior to first pitch.

redsox.com

#12 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9441 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

I know that cynicism is fun, but there's no way that this change has anything to do with NESN ad sales.

This is the worst market for ad sales in the history of modern media. Companies are responding by either slashing inventory to prop up the demand side or by running "make good" or free spots to create the illusion of demand. Nobody is creating inventory .... it would be suicidal.

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but in this case the most likely explanation is the most obvious - given the traffic patterns and parking situation around Fenway, this really is about getting more people in the stands for the first pitch. And if that means more time for concessions, then fine. Hell, nobody forces people to buy beer.

#13 someoneanywhere

• 3057 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

I know that cynicism is fun, but there's no way that this change has anything to do with NESN ad sales.

It seems to me that LL pretty much covered just about every reason, and every benefit, for the change, that has been mentioned upthread: "During the week approximately 60 percent of our fans enter the ballpark after 6:30 p.m. Moving the starts by even a few minutes will give them a little more time to make it to Fenway Park from work or home, take advantage of pregame festivities and ballpark amenities [concessions], and reach their seats before the first pitch. And if fans are enjoying the game broadcast, they will have more opportunity to listen to the expanded pregame show [ads] on WRKO/WEEI or catch the first pitch on NESN," said Larry Lucchino, Red Sox President/CEO.

But I'm still with you. I don't know that anyone needs cynicism when they guy pretty much tells you why they're doing it. What I would be cynical about, were I so inclined, is the attempt to tie data to convenience, and sell the result as fan-oriented. When they make the change and count again, they are going to find that approximately 60% of fans enter the ballpark after 6:45 p.m. People would get there earlier, traffic or no, if they wanted to get there earlier.

#14 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

This is the worst market for ad sales in the history of modern media. Companies are responding by either slashing inventory to prop up the demand side or by running "make good" or free spots to create the illusion of demand. Nobody is creating inventory .... it would be suicidal.

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but in this case the most likely explanation is the most obvious - given the traffic patterns and parking situation around Fenway, this really is about getting more people in the stands for the first pitch. And if that means more time for concessions, then fine. Hell, nobody forces people to buy beer.

Are you you saying that they're not selling existing time slots so there wouldn't be a need to create new time slots?

Without knowing other factors, like if any change has been made to the price of ad slots (in an attempt to lure potential companies), it would be very hard to make a statement like that. The Red Sox brand is very strong and probably one of the more desirable times, locally, for placing ads is during a Red Sox game. I don't see how this is anything other than attempting to create new ad revenue. Most people don't operate in 5 minute intervals and the majority of fans won't even realize the change in time and it will have no affect on their plans to get to the park and see the first pitch. It's a nice line that Lucchino is feeding us and will probably endear some fans, but the truth is 5 minutes won't make a bit of difference.

As BoSoxLady pointed out, the gates won't open any sooner, so they're still getting the same 2 hour window to buy concessions. And as biollante pointed out, games never start on time anyway. Personally, I've never take event start times seriously because there's always a 5-10 minute margin of error.

Edited by FL4WL3SS, 24 February 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#15 Leon Trotsky

• 1506 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I welcome the change - coming from Providence, and going to alot of games, I am almost always in my seat RIGHT at the first pitch or just missing it. The extra five minutes actually will make a difference for me.

Now if they could work on speeding up the games by five minutes, it would be a perfect.

#16 TheYaz67

• 3289 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

The time adjustment will not require any alteration in batting practice or broadcast schedules for the Red Sox and opposing teams. The change should not affect the timing of pregame activities, Fenway Park-related operations or length of game. Gates will continue to open two hours prior to first pitch.

Interesting symantic argument here - yes, the length of the game will stay the same, but the games will end later....

#17 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

redsox.com

And half the concession stands still won't be ready to do business when the gates open.

#18 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4307 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

redsox.com

If LL is to be believed and 60% of fans do arrive after 6:30... the scenario he's envisioning is that many folks, instead of getting there and rushing to their seats, will now have 5 extra minutes to get food/beer.

Additionally, people that are already at the park also have five more minutes to get some more food/beer.

The question is will this eventually change behavior i.e. cause people to move their schedule for getting to the park forward by 5 minutes, thus eliminating any extra revenue benefits accrued from adding the extra time.

That same question applies on the advertising side - will the extra block of ads just cause more people to tune in later eventually, thus marginally devaluing ads aired before that final 5 minute block?

Edited by TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle, 24 February 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#19 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

I welcome the change - coming from Providence, and going to alot of games, I am almost always in my seat RIGHT at the first pitch or just missing it. The extra five minutes actually will make a difference for me.

Now if they could work on speeding up the games by five minutes, it would be a perfect.

So leave for the park earlier.

#20 Leon Trotsky

• 1506 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

So leave for the park earlier.

Would love to, but work prevents that. Believe me, I go to at least 20-25 games a season, and I have it down to a science with all the variables considered. The short of it is the extra five minutes will make it easier for me to see the first pitch.

#21 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3445 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

The question is will this eventually change behavior i.e. cause people to move their schedule for getting to the park forward by 5 minutes, thus eliminating any extra revenue benefits accrued from adding the extra time.

What time people leave for the park is the one thing that driven by variables that won't change. People get off work when people get off work, kids get of school when kids get of school and rush hour is when rush hour is.

Unless the employers of Boston decide to add an extra five miuntes to the work day in honor of the Red Sox changing their start time, I would presume that this change makes life five minutes easier for everyone...except those few (I think) who are bothered by leaving the park post-game five minutes later.

#22 Guapos Toenails

• 1830 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

And half the concession stands still won't be ready to do business when the gates open.

Say what you want about the concessions being unsanitary and stand workers being low functioning (both true), but saying half the concession stands arent ready when the gates open is just foolish. In fact, concessions are manned and ready to go about an hour before the gates open.

#23 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

Say what you want about the concessions being unsanitary and stand workers being low functioning (both true), but saying half the concession stands arent ready when the gates open is just foolish. In fact, concessions are manned and ready to go about an hour before the gates open.

That's simply not true. Not. True.

I usually go in right when the gates open. Gates open. Bam. I'm inside. Half the beer vendors aren't ready. The Hill Top Steak House stand behind section 11, that I often go to, is NEVER ready. Ever.

Maybe we just see different parts of the park but it's a running joke with my buddies and me. When the gates open, yes, there may be a person standing behind the counter. But they haven't flushed the beer taps. Or they haven't cooked any steak or burgers or whatever yet.

I completely stand by my statement. When the gates open, half the concession stands aren't ready.

#24 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4307 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

What time people leave for the park is the one thing that driven by variables that won't change. People get off work when people get off work, kids get of school when kids get of school and rush hour is when rush hour is.

Unless the employers of Boston decide to add an extra five miuntes to the work day in honor of the Red Sox changing their start time, I would presume that this change makes life five minutes easier for everyone...except those few (I think) who are bothered by leaving the park post-game five minutes later.

True, I suppose that should be amended to count just for those of us who live in or very near the city and who have a more leisurely commute to Fenway. I think the bit about the TV ads still stands though.

#25 RedSoxFan

• 3648 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Does moving the games to 7:10 mean that the first pitch is actually going to be precisely at 7:10? When the games "started" at 7:05 the first pitch usually wasn't until 7:07 or 7:08.

#26 Guapos Toenails

• 1830 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

That's simply not true. Not. True.

I usually go in right when the gates open. Gates open. Bam. I'm inside. Half the beer vendors aren't ready. The Hill Top Steak House stand behind section 11, that I often go to, is NEVER ready. Ever.

Maybe we just see different parts of the park but it's a running joke with my buddies and me. When the gates open, yes, there may be a person standing behind the counter. But they haven't flushed the beer taps. Or they haven't cooked any steak or burgers or whatever yet.

I completely stand by my statement. When the gates open, half the concession stands aren't ready.

I worked 57 games last year. I get there at least three hours before each game. I usually walk the ENTIRE ballpark before the gates open, and stroll past the Hilltop stand because I like the smell of the sizzling steak tips. Is every stand always ready exactly when the gates open and Rough and his buddies come running into the park? Nope. But everyone likes to rip Aramark, so that makes it ok to exagerate because you have had some bad experiences. I'm clearly in the minority here when it comes to how Aramark is percieved, so I will be quiet now.

#27 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5889 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

Nor should they be, because there are very few people in the park in the first hour, and most of them are trying to get batting practice baseballs or autographs.

#28 FenwayWhalers

• This douche is not worth 2 clicks

• 2442 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Just push it back to 7:30 like it used to be.

Trying to beat work traffic to get to a 7pm game no matter where in the U.S. you are is a huge pain.

#29 LahoudOrBillyC

• Indian name is Massages Ellsbury

• 3810 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

All games started at 8:00 until about 1980. The Yankees were the last holdout in switching to 7:30 because their TV station (WPIX) did not want to preempt their programming. Games are probably 10 minutes longer today than they were 30 years ago, so the game is ending 50 minutes earlier than the days I was attending as a 10 year old.

#30 FenwayWhalers

• This douche is not worth 2 clicks

• 2442 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

8pm would be heaven.

In order to go to a 7pm Angels game- you have to leave LA by about 4:30 because of traffic.
8pm would mean you would not have to sneak out of work to see a game.

#31 YTF

• 3404 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

As BoSoxLady pointed out, the gates won't open any sooner, so they're still getting the same 2 hour window to buy concessions. And as biollante pointed out, games never start on time anyway. Personally, I've never take event start times seriously because there's always a 5-10 minute margin of error.

Agreed, but that is only assuming everyone gets there when the gate opens. I have no data to back me up, but assume a high percentage of higher cost concession food is sold pregame. Burgers, pizzas, sausages, chowder, combo plates, etc..... I'm also assuming that the majority of folks would rather wait in line pre-game vs during the game. That extra five minutes between 7:05 and 7:10 for those getting into the park between (lets say for argument's sake) 6:45 and game time might find some folks more inclined to stand in line for some of the more expensive grub if they think they have a chance to be in their seat by first pitch or the Sox first at bat.

Multiply however many concessions there are times 81 home dates and it does add up. A $10 burger and fry combo vs a $4 dollar dog is a nice chunk of change when multiplied and that doesn't address what might be spent at souvenir stands. I see it as a way to try to recover some of the lost concessions that will surely happen due to the economy. Will it work? I'm guessing yes, but we'll never truly know to what degree. There will be no way to measure potential loss vs recovery when both occur during the same season. Bottom line is, the move is the perfect low risk/high reward (or in this case no risk/all reward) scenario that the Sox are becoming known for.

#32 YTF

• 3404 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

8pm would be heaven.

In order to go to a 7pm Angels game- you have to leave LA by about 4:30 because of traffic.
8pm would mean you would not have to sneak out of work to see a game.

Yeah and in order for me to take in a 7:05 Sox game I have to leave home by 2:30 because of distance and parking. But I'm good with that as I don't want to get home at 3am. Either way, I have to take a day off. Not feeling your pain. :whistling:

#33 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7744 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

I always have to leave work early to make it for a week day night game. The traffic is never predictable.
I would like it if the games ended earlier so I could make it home earlier. The length of games is a big problem for me perhaps more so then the add on in the beginning of 5min.
Coming from the middle of Conn. doesn't make it an easy ride home. I would really like more day games on the weekends.

#34 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1470 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

I worked 57 games last year. I get there at least three hours before each game. I usually walk the ENTIRE ballpark before the gates open, and stroll past the Hilltop stand because I like the smell of the sizzling steak tips. Is every stand always ready exactly when the gates open and Rough and his buddies come running into the park? Nope. But everyone likes to rip Aramark, so that makes it ok to exagerate because you have had some bad experiences. I'm clearly in the minority here when it comes to how Aramark is percieved, so I will be quiet now.

Too late. Possible response from the boss: :banana: "Maybe if there a little less strolling and sniffing and more working, every stand would be ready when the gates opened. Lost sales in this economy can not be tolerated. When the gates open, so are we."

Something like that. :banana:

But I doubt the change in time has much to do with concessions, as someone commented earlier, increasing ad volume due to unit price reductions demanded by sponsors with declining budgets is more likely.

#35 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5350 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

8pm would be heaven.

It would also be good in alienating even more young fans. The games already run until 10-10:30, now they're going to run 11-11:30? Also in Boston, the commuter rail shuts down at 12:10, or earlier depending on the line, if you have to get to North Station it means leaving many games early.

#36 YTF

• 3404 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

It would also be good in alienating even more young fans. The games already run until 10-10:30, now they're going to run 11-11:30? Also in Boston, the commuter rail shuts down at 12:10, or earlier depending on the line, if you have to get to North Station it means leaving many games early.

This is a great point and has me wondering. Is that extended for 8:00 ESPN Sunday night games? It's not uncommon for Sox-Yanks to go 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Mix in a late starting time and I have to wonder if if the T runs later to accommodate fans that park and ride. I have an interest in this as I have tix for Sox-Yanks on Sunday April 26th and ride in from the Riverside Station on the Green Line. Anybody out there familiar with the policy for these later Sunday night starts?

#37 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5350 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

Anybody out there familiar with the policy for these later Sunday night starts?

Get the last train out or find another way home. There's usually a few games a year when they will announce at Fenway Park that the last T will leave at say 11:50 from Kenmore Square. There's been multiple games I've had to leave before the game is over due to the MBTA. If it's a late start, I now always drive in and park due to this issue.

#38 Guapos Toenails

• 1830 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Too late. Possible response from the boss: :banana: "Maybe if there a little less strolling and sniffing and more working, every stand would be ready when the gates opened. Lost sales in this economy can not be tolerated. When the gates open, so are we."

Something like that. :banana:

But I doubt the change in time has much to do with concessions, as someone commented earlier, increasing ad volume due to unit price reductions demanded by sponsors with declining budgets is more likely.

I appreciate the good-natured spirit of your post, and my response is in the same vein (and I know that it's not a big deal)...I work as a yellow-shirt vendor and we don't go out to sell until 1/2 hour before the game starts...

I do think that the comment made upthread about extra time to sell 'premium' concessions is spot on.