Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

01/01 - Bruins vs. Penguins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
295 replies to this topic

#251 Arroyo Con Frijoles

• 364 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

let's break down the key plays, kathryn

#252 redsoxedmunds24

• 799 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

I would fuck Tappen.

Get in line.

#253 terrorshark

• 258 posts

I would fuck Tappen.

#254 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Hard-fought win tonight.

Have to disagree, thought they were outplayed for a good portion of this game. They pretty much laid down in the 3rd period and I hope Claude reminds them of that in practice.

This is getting pretty ridiculous nonetheless. The team is amazing.

#255 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,691 posts

I would fuck Tappen.

Well DUH

#256 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

LOL: http://sports.espn.g...dType=standings

#257 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

LOL: http://sports.espn.g...dType=standings

This tickles me

#258 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,683 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Holy crap, San Jose is undefeated at home?

#259 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Holy crap, San Jose is undefeated at home?

Amazing huh?

Nobody is really making a big deal over SJ this season at all which really isn't that shocking considering they have so many troubles in the playoffs.

#260 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

L10: 10-0-0

Love that shit

Edited by SoxScout, 01 January 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#261 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,691 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

NESN didn't even mention the Hewitt injury. WTF?

#262 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

L10: 10-0-0

Love that shit

Goal differential:
1.)Boston +57
2.)San Jose +41

Lovin' that shit!

#263 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,691 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

Manny saying he had his worst game tonight, LOL.

#264 Lupe Whalewatch

• 1,290 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Assuming the lines remain the way they are for the forseeable future, do I swallow my pride and pick up Axelsson for my fantasy team?? Over a point per game since he's been moved up.

Manny in his post game interview saying it was his worst game of the season. I can't fault him for the second goal, but that would lead me to believe the first was neither a tip, or a screen.

Edited by Lupe Whalewatch, 01 January 2009 - 10:05 PM.

#265 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Manny saying he had his worst game tonight, LOL.

I don't think I'd disagree if you don't count the first couple weeks of the season. Thought both goals were pretty soft and his rebound control was uncharacteristic.

#266 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,691 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

That's the difference between Manny and Thomas. Manny played very well tonight and still says he didn't play well. Thomas gave up 5 horrible goal on Bash night and whined afterwards about screens and tips.

Manny is my guy for the playoffs, without question.

#267 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

No doubt in my mind that if Timmy were in goal tonight, we get the shut out. Not a single doubt.

I blasted Lucic about two minutes before his goal. Ouch.

#268 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

As of right now, I don't know how it could be any other way. The only reason Thomas is getting the bulk load right now (and even that is becoming debatable) is that I think they're trying to keep Manny healthy. They'd be dumb not to realize that he's the ticket to the playoffs and with such a hot start and Thomas playing well, they can afford to sit him and keep him healthy.

Now let's wait for the "Thomas doesn't get any respect around here" crowd.

#269 terrorshark

• 258 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Shock and horror!

Seriously, though, I think he's everyone's guy at this point.

#270 terrorshark

• 258 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

Now let's wait for the "Thomas doesn't get any respect around here" crowd.

Well, I mean, he doesn't. Doesn't change the fact that Manny is flat-out better right now.

#271 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Well, I mean, he doesn't. Doesn't change the fact that Manny is flat-out better right now.

He does though, that's the thing. When he's playing well there are a number of us (including myself) that jump at the chance to praise him and say he had a great game, but we are also realistic in the fact that we know his weaknesses. I understand he's a great story and a great guy, I mean I like the guy I really do, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking we're winning a Stanley Cup with Thomas in net. He's a good goalie, but he's not great which is what some people want to make him out to be.

#272 Lupe Whalewatch

• 1,290 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

As of right now, I don't know how it could be any other way. The only reason Thomas is getting the bulk load right now (and even that is becoming debatable) is that I think they're trying to keep Manny healthy. They'd be dumb not to realize that he's the ticket to the playoffs and with such a hot start and Thomas playing well, they can afford to sit him and keep him healthy.

I agree with all of this 100%

But Thomas doesn't get much respect here either.

#273 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

But Thomas doesn't get much respect here either.

;)

I don't know why so many people want to take it so personal when some of us point out the realities of having Tim Thomas as your goalie, I really don't.

Edited by FL4WL3SS, 01 January 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#274 terrorshark

• 258 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'm sure you can find a bunch of posts about waiting for Thomas to go on a cold streak as recently as two weeks ago. It just seems like everyone assumes Manny is going to get better while Thomas gets worse, instead of just assuming we have two awesome goaltenders. This could all be perception, though. Maybe I'm Thomas-neurotic.

#275 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

I'm sure you can find a bunch of posts about waiting for Thomas to go on a cold streak as recently as two weeks ago. It just seems like everyone assumes Manny is going to get better while Thomas gets worse, instead of just assuming we have two awesome goaltenders. This could all be perception, though. Maybe I'm Thomas-neurotic.

Because that's basically what has happened. Thomas has come back to earth a bit after being the best goalie in the league for the first month or so and Fernandez has gotten consistently better. Thomas has been amazing this year and I think we're all pleasantly surprised that he's maintained his consistent play for the first half of the season, but if anybody says that they expected him to stay hot for the whole first half without having at least a semblance of a cold streak in there somewhere, they'd be lying to you.

#276 terrorshark

• 258 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

That's all very true, except for "pleasantly surprised". There's like this overhanging stigma of dread about Thomas playing well that entails him going on a month-long shitslide. Meanwhile, everyone can't wait for Manny to get back in net because he's hot. Like I said, maybe this is all perception.

#277 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Imgran, is that you?

Honestly, I could careless who is in net as long as we're winning. Sure I like some players more than others, but the bottomline is that I want the team to win. I lightheartedly rip on players and lightheartedly heap praise on them (beyond Kessel, Krejci, Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Wideman, and Chara). I just care about the wins, and I don't know why more people aren't the same (I mean in the sense that they nitpick or how irrational hatred towards players).

Hell, may be Thomas will be spitting hot fire and Manny will be as cold as ice, who will you be willing to sacrifice then? I know people find Thomas frustrating, but if he is the better goalie come the playoffs, I have no fears putting him out there nor do I have any with Manny. To me, I'm more concerned about keeping this consistent level of play from the other guys on the ice.

We've seen Hunwick and Kobasew regress already. What's next? The team's winning, but we can't afford to see more people sucking (although I will defend Kobasew because he's not playing with much).

Anyway, my number one star tonight is Anders Per-Johan Axelsson, aka "The Loveable Swede Stud."

Cheers.

Edited by sachmoney, 01 January 2009 - 10:40 PM.

#278 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

That's all very true, except for "pleasantly surprised". There's like this overhanging stigma of dread about Thomas playing well that entails him going on a month-long shitslide. Meanwhile, everyone can't wait for Manny to get back in net because he's hot. Like I said, maybe this is all perception.

Cold Streak 1:
Dec 20th - 4 GA
Dec 22nd - 4 GA
Dec 28th - 4 GA
Cold Streak 2:
Feb 2nd - 3 GA
Feb 5th - 4 GA
Feb 9th - 6 GA
Cold Streak 3:
Mar 3rd - 7 GA
Mar 6th - 5 GA

Cold Streak 1:
Nov 2nd - 4 GA
Nov 6th - 5 GA
Nov 11th - 3 GA
Cold Streak 2:
Dec 2nd - 5 GA
Dec 4th - 5 GA
Dec 9th - 5 GA
Dec 14th - 3 GA
Dec 16th - 5 GA
Cold Streak 3:
The rest of that miserable season

Do you see a pattern here? It happens every year. He plays a string of games where he lets up a goal or gets a shutout, then he gets cold for 3-4 games where he looks terrible and gives up 3-5 goals a game. We don't make this stuff up and we don't bash him just for the hell of it, we're all just very realistic and we can only go off of what he's done in the past. So yes, it has been a very pleasant surprise.

#279 Mad Johnny

• 203 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Just got back from the Garden. It was pretty packed and the Bs were well represented. Good times. ;)

#280 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Just got back from the Garden. It was pretty packed and the Bs were well represented. Good times. ;)

Too bad the Garden isn't a retro arena.

How was the atmosphere?

#281 Mad Johnny

• 203 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Too bad the Garden isn't a retro arena.

How was the atmosphere?

I thought the crowd was pretty good. They weren't one of those groups where they just sit around and only make noise when a goal is scored or the jumbotron tells them to. Not Game 6 vs. Montreal but I've seen worse games.

Also drunk guys heckling Hal Gill greatly amuses me for some reason.

#282 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,691 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

BTW, ESPN says Heward was unconscious for about 90 seconds and has movement in his extremities. First word out of the hospital is a concussion, and they're holding him overnight for observation.

#283 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

BTW, ESPN says Heward was unconscious for about 90 seconds and has movement in his extremities. First word out of the hospital is a concussion, and they're holding him overnight for observation.

That's good news SJH.

Hopefully, it's nothing like the nightmare Patrice went through last year, and he's back in a couple weeks.

I just sold my ALOV stock on oneseason.com right before the bell. I think the backlash of this hit might make the stock hit rock bottom. I'm buying him again tomorrow morning. I hope the SEC doesn't investigate me.

Edited by sachmoney, 02 January 2009 - 12:05 AM.

#284 Scoops Bolling

• 2,890 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

I thought the crowd was pretty good. They weren't one of those groups where they just sit around and only make noise when a goal is scored or the jumbotron tells them to. Not Game 6 vs. Montreal but I've seen worse games.

Also drunk guys heckling Hal Gill greatly amuses me for some reason.

A guy not too far behind me kept heckling the Penguins goalie (who's name eludes me). It was hilarious.

#285 NomarRS05

• 3,302 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Dear Bruins,

You have a very good fucking team. Please stop winning so much. I'm starting to think you are never, ever going to lose and am wondering if there's any possibility at all that the Caps can even compete for the #1 seed. We've won 10 of our last 11 and still aren't even within shouting distance of you. The top four plus/minus leaders in hockey play for you, and both of your goalies are in the top five in save percentage and GAA. It's becoming absurd how dominant you are.

Thanks for your consideration.

Signed,
The Rest of Us

#286 GLOSS

• 172 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

I must say this was a highly enjoyable game to attend. From the guy yelling random facts about Hal Gill (HAL GILL HAS HERPES, HAL GILL RAPES CHILDREN, HAL GILL KILLS ENDANGERED SPECIES) to the drunk guy in front of me yelling at Mike Milbury about Axe being on the 1st line (apparently he thought Milbury was still coach or something) to the Bruins pulling out the win, it was good times all around...

#287 terrorshark

• 258 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

Do you see a pattern here? It happens every year. He plays a string of games where he lets up a goal or gets a shutout, then he gets cold for 3-4 games where he looks terrible and gives up 3-5 goals a game. We don't make this stuff up and we don't bash him just for the hell of it, we're all just very realistic and we can only go off of what he's done in the past. So yes, it has been a very pleasant surprise.

First of all, I'd like to never speak of 2006 ever again, and I don't know if you can pin those losses on Thomas. Remember, that team was a collective -4000 or something. I can concede that year, though, and still have fun with this.

FUN WITH NUMBERS

Manny Fernandez, '06-'07 (last relatively healthy season). He played in only 44 games, started 42 of those. That's about 10 fewer games than Thomas in '07-'08, I believe, and the basis for this comparison.

Cold Streak 1:
Oct. 29: 4 GA, .889 SV%
Nov. 2: 2 GA (20 minutes), .818
Nov. 4: 4 GA, .810
Nov. 7: 3 GA, .900
Nov. 11: 2 GA, .938 (Okay, this one is pretty good... but then...)
Nov. 14: 4 GA, .882
Nov. 16: 5 GA (34 minutes), .750
Nov. 20: 5 GA, .848
Nov. 25: 3 GA (40 minutes), .870

note: The only game he did not start was the Nov. 25th game. That's 8 bad games out of 9; 7 of 8 starts.

Cold Streak 2:

Dec. 9: 4 GA, .846 SV%
Dec. 12: 4 GA (24 minutes), .692
Dec. 14: 3 GA, .880

Yahoo! Game log

He also had another stretch where he gave up 4, 3 and 3 goals later on, but the SV% was decent.

So technically, we should be more worried about Manny, because a higher perrcentage of his games sucked the last time he was healthy.

See what I'm getting at with the stigma thing? People think that no other goalie ever gets cold except Thomas, just because he makes himself look like an ass while he does it. Now, do I honestly think Thomas is streakier than Manny? Yes. Does it warrant mentioning every time someone brings up goaltending? No. That's my only beef with what gets said here sometimes.

#288 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Dear Bruins,

You have a very good fucking team. Please stop winning so much. I'm starting to think you are never, ever going to lose and am wondering if there's any possibility at all that the Caps can even compete for the #1 seed. We've won 10 of our last 11 and still aren't even within shouting distance of you. The top four plus/minus leaders in hockey play for you, and both of your goalies are in the top five in save percentage and GAA. It's becoming absurd how dominant you are.

Thanks for your consideration.

Signed,
The Rest of Us

Dear, NomarRS05

No.

Signed,
The Big Bad Bruins

#289 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

First of all, I'd like to never speak of 2006 ever again, and I don't know if you can pin those losses on Thomas. Remember, that team was a collective -4000 or something. I can concede that year, though, and still have fun with this.

FUN WITH NUMBERS

Manny Fernandez, '06-'07 (last relatively healthy season). He played in only 44 games, started 42 of those. That's about 10 fewer games than Thomas in '07-'08, I believe, and the basis for this comparison.

Cold Streak 1:
Oct. 29: 4 GA, .889 SV%
Nov. 2: 2 GA (20 minutes), .818
Nov. 4: 4 GA, .810
Nov. 7: 3 GA, .900
Nov. 11: 2 GA, .938 (Okay, this one is pretty good... but then...)
Nov. 14: 4 GA, .882
Nov. 16: 5 GA (34 minutes), .750
Nov. 20: 5 GA, .848
Nov. 25: 3 GA (40 minutes), .870

note: The only game he did not start was the Nov. 25th game. That's 8 bad games out of 9; 7 of 8 starts.

Cold Streak 2:

Dec. 9: 4 GA, .846 SV%
Dec. 12: 4 GA (24 minutes), .692
Dec. 14: 3 GA, .880

Yahoo! Game log

He also had another stretch where he gave up 4, 3 and 3 goals later on, but the SV% was decent.

So technically, we should be more worried about Manny, because a higher perrcentage of his games sucked the last time he was healthy.

See what I'm getting at with the stigma thing? People think that no other goalie ever gets cold except Thomas, just because he makes himself look like an ass while he does it. Now, do I honestly think Thomas is streakier than Manny? Yes. Does it warrant mentioning every time someone brings up goaltending? No. That's my only beef with what gets said here sometimes.

Fair enough.

I'm just pretty tired of the "Thomas doesn't get any respect" crowd around here. He gets plenty of respect, it's just that some of us don't take it one step further and blow him in the process.

#290 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Dear, NomarRS05

No.

Signed,
The Big Bad Bruins

Dear Sach,

Please inform NomarRS05 that we appreciate his offer, but respectfully decline. Also, according to our resident whiny Penguins fan Greg29Fan Ovechkin plays dirty and kills little puppies. Therefore we can not allow his Capitals to catch us. We will resume our world domination.

Sincerely,
The N.H.O (New Hockey Order)

#291 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,988 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

DEAR SOSH,

IF YOU LIKE MEGADETH PRESS 111MEGADETH

SIGNED
JI
JIM

#292 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9,640 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Fuck ESPN. Did anyone see their highlight package for this game on SportsCenter? It was entirely focused on Crosby and Malkin... who didn't do shit. They managed to show Lucic's goal, and then in passing at the end mention how the Bruins are the best team in hockey. The NHL sucks at marketing, but ESPN doesn't help.

#293 JulE6

• the crying game

• PipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

DEAR SOSH,

IF YOU LIKE MEGADETH PRESS 111MEGADETH

SIGNED
JI
JIM

OLD JIM LOVES THE MEGADETH. SOMETIMES WHEN WE DON'T HAVE A BASEDBALL GAME THIS OLD LUG LIKES TO LOOK UP THEIR VIDEOS ON THE LINE.

GO BRUI

BRUINS

#294 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Fair enough.

I'm just pretty tired of the "Thomas doesn't get any respect" crowd around here. He gets plenty of respect, it's just that some of us don't take it one step further and blow him in the process.

I don't know that anyone wants to blow him. I know when I post something it's in response to someone saying how much he sucks and pointing out how those same people are never around when he's winning 6 games in a row or putting up back to back shutouts on the west coast. And that when a tipped goal gets past him it's because he's a flopper but when a tipped goal gets past Manny there's nothing you can do about it. That's what I get tired of. This part of the Thomas doesn't get any respect crowd was a direct response to amount of bitching he gets in relation to the amount of credit he gets. Nothing more.
In any event, there's a thread on the main board that already covers most of this, maybe I should move these posts there. But I'm pretty lazy.

#295 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

I don't know that anyone wants to blow him. I know when I post something it's in response to someone saying how much he sucks and pointing out how those same people are never around when he's winning 6 games in a row or putting up back to back shutouts on the west coast. And that when a tipped goal gets past him it's because he's a flopper but when a tipped goal gets past Manny there's nothing you can do about it. That's what I get tired of. This part of the Thomas doesn't get any respect crowd was a direct response to amount of bitching he gets in relation to the amount of credit he gets. Nothing more.
In any event, there's a thread on the main board that already covers most of this, maybe I should move these posts there. But I'm pretty lazy.

I just get especially agitated when I get the "Thomas doesn't get any respect" card thrown at me when I'm far from subjective on the issue. I hand out praise when it is due and I hand out criticism when it is due. I had no problem saying that Manny had a mediocre game last night by letting in a couple softies and I have no problem praising Thomas when he's playing out of his mind. I just wish the Thomas fan club wouldn't lump everybody else in the same group. Some of us do give him respect and we're allowed to criticize him when it is deserved without getting 10 people telling us that we don't give him any respect.

No need to move this elsewhere, I'm sure everyone is pretty tired of talking about it.

#296 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

I just get especially agitated when I get the "Thomas doesn't get any respect" card thrown at me when I'm far from subjective on the issue. I hand out praise when it is due and I hand out criticism when it is due. I had no problem saying that Manny had a mediocre game last night by letting in a couple softies and I have no problem praising Thomas when he's playing out of his mind. I just wish the Thomas fan club wouldn't lump everybody else in the same group. Some of us do give him respect and we're allowed to criticize him when it is deserved without getting 10 people telling us that we don't give him any respect.

No need to move this elsewhere, I'm sure everyone is pretty tired of talking about it.

I know I have been one of the biggest Thomas fanboys out there so I know a lot of those comments are directed at me. Its not that Thomas doesnt deserve criticism at times because he does. But a lot of the people that bash him, all they do is talk about it always even when he is on one of his hot streaks. Like I have said before when he deserves criticism I will be right here ready to bash him. My only point about this is I feel like people look for a reason to bash him. Not you personally Flawless but I have seen others doing it. Like the other night the goal by Dupuis, as soon as he scored it people jumped all over him right away, when Im pretty sure with that shot that no one would have stopped that thing. People just seem to always be looking for a reason to jump on Thomas when half the time it isnt deserved.