Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

MFY: 9 in a row, Mystique/Aura, blah blah blah...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
971 replies to this topic

#951 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3,682 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

A couple of really good prospects do not a good farm system make.

I'd argue that that is the better farm system than a bunch of decent prospects. I'd take a farm system that produces nothing but a Robinson Cano or Philip Hughes every 5 years, and I'll fill in the rest with replacement players. Better than getting a decent player every year but nothing significantly above replacement level (ahem, Youkilis, Pedroia). Sure it's nice to have diversification of the portfolio, but for a team like the Yanks, developing a superstar is more important than the issue of developing an average 2B who you have to pay minimum $300,000 rather than buying an average free agent 2B for $1 mill.

A recent column on the SI web site is meant to be humorous, but the writer makes some good points, including this:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps humorous, but wrong. Cano and Melky were International Free agents, but hardly big bonus guys. Anyone could have had them for a few thousand dollars. Wang is the only guy for whom the Yanks' coffers were an issue.

#952 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,079 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

Randy Johnson to miss his last regular season start with "lower back spasms."

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Yankees' postseason rotation was shaken up on Monday night, as Joe Torre revealed that Randy Johnson would not make his final regular-season start.
Johnson has been dealing with spasms in his lower back, so he, Torre and pitching coach Ron Guidry decided to skip his Thursday start, allowing him to rest for the postseason.

"If there was no postseason, I'd be out there pitching," Johnson said. "I chose to make a wise decision and not make my next regular-season start so I could hopefully be a little healthier for my postseason start."

Edited by JohntheBaptist, 26 September 2006 - 12:29 PM.

#953 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,795 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

Having a $200+ million dollar payroll certainly allows the MFY to mitigate risk by constructing a deep team. However, I think there is a possibility that some year, they won't be able to aquire the talent necessary to correct mistakes.

Some year already happened. It was 2005, except poor play by the Indians and the Red Sox allowed the Yanks into the playoffs yet again. As Big Mike and others point out, it looks like the Yanks have navigated through their system's talent trough. With Gene Michael and fellow thinkers holding sway in the Yanks FO, it will likely be quite a long time before they are stuck at the trade deadline again.

#954 cannonball 1729

• 1,984 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

Better than getting a decent player every year but nothing significantly above replacement level (ahem, Youkilis, Pedroia).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what this comment is supposed to mean, nor am I sure how a third baseman who posts 5-6 wins above replacement level in his first full season (playing out of position) is himself replacement level. Also, it might be a little early to be proclaiming Hughes to be on Cano's level (or at least above Youkilis') while he's still buried in the minors. Plus, I'd certainly call Papelbon's 2006 campaign "significantly above replacement level".

Sure it's nice to have diversification of the portfolio, but for a team like the Yanks, developing a superstar is more important than the issue of developing an average 2B who you have to pay minimum $300,000 rather than buying an average free agent 2B for $1 mill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is certainly true if we're talking about developing players to produce for the big league team, but for teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, the minor leagues also have value as trade bait, and in such cases quantity is very important. The Yankees have gotten around this by taking salary dumps, but the Sox don't quite have that luxury.

Edited by cannonball 1729, 26 September 2006 - 04:03 PM.

#955 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

The Associated Press is reporting that Wang will start the first playoff game for the Yanks:

Chien-Ming Wang will start the New York Yankees’ playoff opener on Tuesday and be followed by Mike Mussina in Game 2.
Randy Johnson, bothered by a bad back, will pitch Game 3 on the road, Yankees manager Joe Torre said Wednesday. Torre didn’t say whether Jaret Wright or Cory Lidle would start Game 4, if it’s needed.

#956 staz

• Intangible

• 4,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

If they average just 22 runs per game from here on out, they will have scored exactly 1000 runs this season.

Godspeed, MFY.

#957 Crazy Puppy

• 1,780 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

The Big Eunuch has a herniated disc in his back.

NEW YORK -- New York Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson has a herniated disc in his lower back, but he still may start Game 3 of the American League Division Series next week.

Yankees manager Joe Torre announced Friday that an MRI revealed that Johnson has a herniated disc. At first, it was thought Johnson was experiencing back spasms when the Yankees scratched him from his last regular-season start Thursday.

Johnson, 43, was given an epidural to alleviate the pain and Torre is "hopeful" the left-hander will be able to start Game 3 of the ALDS against either Detroit or Minnesota.

"Hopefully, that [the epidural] will ease the discomfort," Torre said. "If it doesn't ease the discomfort, then I'm not sure he's going to be able to pitch. But we don't expect that to be the case."

ESPN.com

#958 HillysLastWalk

• 3,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:28 PM

With some of the best pitchers going down (Liriano, Pedro), the Sox shitting the bed (and allowing the Yanks to treat September like Spring Training), this Big Unit news probably ends up helping them (everything else seems to be going right)!

Instead of an ancient Big Unit getting blown out in his start, Lidle steps in and turns into D.Lowe'04.

Sigh. I really don't want to see the Yankees win it.

#959 NJ Fan

• 2,877 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

“Anything is possible,” Cashman said. “It’s possible he goes the whole way. It’s possible he doesn’t go at all. It’s possible he goes partial. Between Randy Johnson and the New York Yankee medical staff, we will collectively do what is right for all involved given the circumstances."

Although Johnson apparently chose not to reveal the full extent of his back problems to Yankees management, Cashman said Johnson did not breach any trust. Cashman said it was not clear whether Johnson’s back problem would eventually require surgery.

If Johnson is unable to start next Friday, Jaret Wright will probably take his place, leaving Cory Lidle to start a potential Game 4.

Not disagreeing with your theory Hilly, but here's what the Times reporter wrote:

Johnson, who went 17-11 with a 5.00 earned run average in 33 starts this season, has not performed to expectations, but the Yankees can ill afford to lose him for the postseason. He is an experienced postseason pitcher and Lidle, his likely replacement, does not have anywhere near the résumé Johnson does. Johnson has made 15 postseason starts, Lidle only one.

Link (reg. req.)

#960 BGrif21125

• 4,605 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

It should also be noted that in Lidle's one postseason start, he gave up 6 runs (4 earned) in 3 1/3 innings.

#961 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7,450 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

A useless reminder, originally said by Jayson Stark (can't find the original link), for those who don't know or who forgot.

The Yankees haven't won a World Series while a Republican was in the White House since 1958.

#962 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

One more year without winning.

I think that's a cool $1 billion spent on payroll in 6 years with no rings to show for it.

#963 941827

• 3,336 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

I think that's a cool $1 billion spent on payroll in 6 years with no rings to show for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly the note I'm planning on leaving on the door of the office of the MFY fan who left a picture of a broom on my door after the sweep.

I expect the MFY to do whatever it takes to win next year before SIAT dies.

To wit, they will try to bring in good players by eating contracts during the off-season. For example, they could do a deal with Seattle and Florida wherein the MFY get Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre and any other bad contracts Seattle has, Seattle gets ARod, Pavano + cash and the Marlins get prospects from Seattle and the MFY and cash.

Find the worst contracts in baseball (Clement's excepted) and you can assume the MFY will be looking for ways to take on those deals in exchange for players.

Edit: Unless Seattle considers Washburn's contract a bad one, the deal I reviewed above doesn't really work, as they don't have enough bad contracts to unload on the MFY. But you get the point.

Edited by 941827, 07 October 2006 - 09:08 PM.

#964 George from Maine

• 1,627 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

Would A-Rod and Pavano for Sexton, Beltre, and Washburn work?

#965 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:40 AM

The cover of the Daily News for Sunday is reporting that Steingrabber is going to fire Torre and replace him with PinIella. Can't say that I'm surprised - can't get rid of the ENTIRE 200 million dollar roster, so someone has to take the fall.

The PinIella- A-Rod interaction should be fun to watch. Can't imagine that PinIella is going to coddle the sensitive little purple-lipped choke artist.

#966 Pandemonium67

• 3,236 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:27 AM

That's a blatant exaggeration. According to Fox today, it was only $978,000,000.

#967 Goosewptc

• holds the mayo

• 4,118 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:20 AM

I was hoping the MFY would advance to game 7 of the WS. Only to lose again ('01 D'backs). Perpetual hate is just that....it gets better as time goes on.

I've hated the Yankees since the night my daddy put me in my mama's belly.

This former zygote believes that a MFY loss = a Red Sox win. Yesterday, when the Tigers beat the shit out of the Yanks, it felt like a Sox win, right? Right???

Fuckin'-A it did.

#968 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,851 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

To wit, they will try to bring in good players by eating contracts during the off-season.  For example, they could do a deal with Seattle and Florida wherein the MFY get Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre and any other bad contracts Seattle has, Seattle gets ARod, Pavano + cash and the Marlins get prospects from Seattle and the MFY and cash. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bug in the ass of any ARod deal is his NTC. I find it hard to believe that ARod would accept a trade out of NY to a small market team. I could maybe see him going to another large market baseball hothouse like Boston or Chicago, but even then I'm more inclined to believe that he would see that as being scapegoated for his teams failure and block a deal so as not to be run out of town on a rail.

I'm also sure Scott Boras would exact a hefty chunk of flesh if he would accept a deal. Also, if there's any truth to the rumor that Pinnella is going to replace Torre, it would lead to ARod staying; Pinnella managed ARod in Seattle and "helped him with his swing" earlier in the year. They like each other, and bringing in Pinnella would increase ARod's comfort level.

#969 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,570 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

That's a blatant exaggeration. According to Fox today, it was only $978,000,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Add in luxury tax and revenue sharing, it's over $1.1 billion, I think

#970 Doza

• 1,135 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

And George Steinbrenner ought to do everything he can to try and move Alex Rodriguez, who came here three seasons ago for easy World Series rings and hasn't even played a World Series. He was 2-for-15 against the Angels last season. He was 1-for-14 against the Tigers this time. If somebody will take him and give the Yankees young arms like the Tigers have in return, he goes. You know why Torre batted him eighth yesterday? Because he wasn't allowed to bat him 10th.

Lupica :lol:

Edited by Doza, 08 October 2006 - 09:21 AM.

#971 ilikedonuts

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

I'm also sure Scott Boras would exact a hefty chunk of flesh if he would accept a deal.  Also, if there's any truth to the rumor that Pinnella is going to replace Torre, it would lead to ARod staying;  Pinnella managed ARod in Seattle and "helped him with his swing" earlier in the year.  They like each other, and bringing in Pinnella would increase ARod's comfort level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which might further alienate ARod from his teammates- win/win in my book

ARod can't win this one- if he refuses to leave he makes life a living hell for himself in NY. If he leaves, he was run out of town and would be the posterboy of BSG's Ewing Theory

#972 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,604 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's all folks!

offseason thread