Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Red Sox "fully engaged" with Burnett

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#51 Hairps

• 1732 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

BP's John Perrotto:

The Red Sox also have interest in right-hander A.J. Burnett on the free-agent market, though it is described as "mild" by a person familiar with the situation, and many believe he will return to the Blue Jays if they offer a five-year contract, though the Braves, Orioles, and Phillies also have varying degrees of interest. ...

http://www.baseballp...?articleid=8326

#52 sox junky

• 946 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

There's been very little about Ben Sheets. I wonder if this is the kind of undervalued signing the Red Sox prefer? Rotoworld has speculated that his injury scares could force him to accept a 1 year deal (at most 2). Would you rather sign Sheets for 2 years at 28 million (for instance) or Burnett for 5 years at 80 million? I think the Sox could make a 2 year Sheets deal work considering their pitching depth and flexibility (Masterson, Bowden, Buchholz) and financial muscle. It is high reward and lower risk for the Sox since they can plug in multiple pitchers in his place and can afford his salary if he's injured at some point(s).

#53 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

Would you rather sign Sheets for 2 years at 28 million (for instance) or Burnett for 5 years at 80 million?

Absolutely. Although I love Burnett's stuff (especially the 231 SO in '08), he's still one pitch away from becoming a Clement or Pavano like contract. Sheets is equally concerning, but for two years, the upside is worth the risk. That being said, if Ben was available for 2/28, why wouldn't Milwaukee make that happen? Not sure the Brewers want to lose both Sheets and Sabathia in the same off-season without a fight.

#54 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23293 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Absolutely. Although I love Burnett's stuff (especially the 231 SO in '08), he's still one pitch away from becoming a Clement or Pavano like contract. Sheets is equally concerning, but for two years, the upside is worth the risk. That being said, if Ben was available for 2/28, why wouldn't Milwaukee make that happen? Not sure the Brewers want to lose both Sheets and Sabathia in the same off-season without a fight.

I believe Sheets is a Type A FA, at this point, the Brewers might just want to cash in on some draft picks and avoid giving an often injured pitcher a multi year deal in the 12-14M range. I don't think there's any shot he would accept arb since some teams have expressed interest, the Astros and the Rangers are 2 of the obvious teams that will be in play for him. Eventually, I think Maddox (his former pitching coach) will make a big push with Ranger management to go after him.

#55 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

General manager Frank Wren confirmed Thursday that the Braves have made a contract offer to A.J. Burnett.

Previous reports suggested that the Braves had made Burnett a five-year offer, but Wren said that the proposal does not include a guaranteed fifth season. The Atlanta Journal Constitution speculates that the Braves' offer is a four-year deal worth around $60 million, with a fifth-year team option.

http://www.rotoworld...t/home_MLB.aspx

#56 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

As for Burnett, the Braves started with a four-year, $60 million deal that included a vesting option for a fifth year but now are willing to guarantee the fifth season.

http://www.nypost.co...ents_142659.htm

#57 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16287 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

The Sox were described by another source as "warming up in the bullpen" for free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, but the team remains focused on signing free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira and opposed to awarding lengthy contracts to starting pitchers.

Link

#58 diehard24

• 535 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Braunecker says that, via Crasnick, the Sox are, of course, right in the middle of it.

Edited by diehard24, 08 December 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#59 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

LAS VEGAS -- Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said Monday night he wasn't optimistic he would be able to get anything done during the winter meetings this week at the Bellagio Hotel.

That might change.

The Red Sox and free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett have had significant dialogue, and there could be more on this development later today.

Epstein, manager Terry Francona and pitching coach John Farrell reportedly met with CC Sabathia on Monday, but it's Burnett who appears to be Boston's main free-agent pitching target.

Source: http://www.projo.com..._.47bb84e6.html

#60 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Though the Red Sox have generally said that they are hesitant to extend long-term contracts to free agent pitchers, A.J. Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, said this morning that the Red Sox had "significant dialogue" concerning Burnett yesterday. "Certainly more substantive than our last communication."

Source: http://www.boston.co...ave_signif.html

#61 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

I can't imagine Theo is happy about this agent having a big mouth........

Probably means it is not real.

#62 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

"People familiar with the discussions indicate that Burnett likely will end up with a five-year deal wherever he goes."
http://sports.espn.g...r_meetings_2008

Burnett turns 32 in January. His agent has been working hard to get a 5-year deal. Seems like a long commitment coming the Sox.

EDIT: Given the recent news one would have to guess that someone will ink Burnett to a 5-year deal in the next couple of days. The agent certainly makes it sound like teams are now on his wave-length; namely five years. Once that bridge is crossed it should happen fairly quickly.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 09 December 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#63 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14260 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

I can't imagine Theo is happy about this agent having a big mouth........

Probably means it is not real.

I don't think the agent gave away anything here, really...

Though the Red Sox have generally said that they are hesitant to extend long-term contracts to free agent pitchers, A.J. Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, said this morning that the Red Sox had "significant dialogue" concerning Burnett yesterday. "Certainly more substantive than our last communication."

Seems to me that the Red Sox interests aren't harmed at all by what was said. If they are really involved, they know he's going to go back to other teams overnight anyway and thus, this doesn't change anything; if they aren't really involved, then all this does is drive up the price for those who are which is good for them (if only slightly).

#64 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

All the agent needed to do was say that he now has multiple 5-year offers to accomplish what he wanted. Saying he has had significant talk with the Red Sox just seems out of place with how the Red Sox, other teams and agents operate when they have something brewing.

#65 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

All the agent needed to do was say that he now has multiple 5-year offers to accomplish what he wanted. Saying he has had significant talk with the Red Sox just seems out of place with how the Red Sox, other teams and agents operate when they have something brewing.

I read the quote as signifying that Braunecker is now talking turkey on a 5-year arrangement for Burnett and not that he has 5-year offers on the table. My sense is that he has succeeded in getting teams to the table on a 5-year deal, but doesn't have concrete deals in his hand at this time.

#66 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14260 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

I just don't think this is really how any of this works.

First, we have no idea (and his quote does not suggest) that he has multiple five year offers in place so saying what you suggest may be making things up, and may well lack credibility (think about the scorn for 'mystery team' suggestions by agents). You might be conflating Benjamin's speculation on the length with what the agent actually said. Second, seems to me that he would be doing FAR more to harm his relationship with a specific team to say what the specifics of an offer are (e.g. number of years or dollars) before the very end than he does by saying that he's had 'substantive discussion' with them. Third, most teams and most agents do EXACTLY what he did here...state a level of interest and existence of contact with little additional detail.

Finally, and most importantly, you are assuming that the Red Sox didn't give him the ok to say this, which we have no idea about. As noted above, there are many reasons the Red Sox would want him to say precisely what he did. They might be trying to send a signal to other FAs they have talked to that it's time to get serious, they might be trying to make other teams bid more for Burnett, etc. It is very common in significant negotiations for the sides to agree on how they'll describe their meetings (if at all) publically. It certainly might be that didn't occur here, but it also very well may have.

As usual on this stuff, I think the degree to which we know a lot of actual facts (instead of speculation by writers) is very much overestimated.

#67 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20967 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

It seems to me that a mutually beneficial signalling effect is a plausible interpretation of this shadow dance.

Red Sox: we're more serious about Burnett than we let on earlier, so all you other top-tier free agents who want to play for a World Series contender had better get serious and come to terms before we give away our one big contract for this year.

Burnett's agent: the Red Sox are serious about my guy, and they've got a better chance of winning than the rest of you other teams, so you'll have to outbid them... by giving my guy the 5 years he wants.

#68 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

As for starting pitching, we believe the Red Sox have talked to A.J. Burnett’s representatives about a deal but we also believe the talks have as much chance of developing into a deal as their meeting with C.C. Sabathia did yesterday.

Source: http://news.bostonhe...p;position=also

#69 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

LAS VEGAS -- Just back from a hallway conversation with A.J. Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker...

Braunecker said that it was unlikely that Burnett would sign anywhere during the winter meetings, but he also said, "It's a possibility. I don't anticipate it at this point. It may be a phone call away."

So, while the Sox are within the top six in interest level for Burnett, according to Braunecker, it still remains unlikely that they would prevail for the right hander's services. Not to be repetitive, but the Sox do not make a practice of handing out large deals for free agent pitchers (especially ones going on 32 years old). They also don't have a real need for a front-line starting pitcher, or at least an expensive one.

"I've maintained for the last two years, if he wants five years, he's getting five years," Braunecker said.

Braunecker didn't have another meeting with the Sox scheduled, but he did say he anticipated speaking with the club at some point today. He declined to comment on how many teams had made actual offers to Burnett at this point.

The biggest of the criteria Burnett wants in his next team: "Winning," Braunecker said.

Source: http://www.boston.co...on_burnett.html

#70 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

The Yankees appear to be considering a five-year proposal for Burnett, who has received strong interest from about a half-dozen teams, including the Braves, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles.

Darek Braunecker, Burnett's agent, met with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman late Monday night.

http://www.fannation...ove/posts/30781

#71 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

A source told Gerry Fraley that the Braves increased their offer to A.J. Burnett to $80 million over five years.

Not only are they going the extra year, but they're apparently matching the Yankees' offer of a $16 million salary.

http://www.rotoworld...s...B&hl=252918

Ya think that the Sox are done kicking those tires?

#72 The Boomer

• 2043 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

http://www.rotoworld...s...B&hl=252918

Ya think that the Sox are done kicking those tires?

Free agent pitchers who end up worth the money for most of the length of contracts in excess of 3 years or so are the exception rather than the rule. Sabathia for 4 years with a couple of options I can see. Sabathia for 7 or 8 years will be a disaster later (if not sooner). The 3 year opt out seems to benefit him more than the Yankees. As predicted, Pedro was almost worthless to the Mets for the last 2 out of his 4 years there. Wayne Garland, Kevin Brown, Mike Hampton, Barry Zito and others like them are not do overs. You have 4 or 5 of those free agent pitching disasters for every one arguably good long term investment (possibly such as Johann Santana). Burnett and Lowe are too risky to justify what the market might give them. Frankly, the Sox will probably debate for how long and how much to extend Beckett as his deal expires. While pitching can take a while to develop, younger aces (Lester and maybe Buchholz) are more than worth their weight in gold. Unless you can deal for a Matt Cain or Jake Peavy type pitcher, just say no to the available free agent pitching options.

#73 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5898 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Source: Yanks offer Burnett guaranteed 5-year deal

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3761008

#74 Redkluzu

• tortures mice

• 1625 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Source: Yanks offer Burnett guaranteed 5-year deal

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3761008

MLB says:

The report did not state the total amount of the offer, but agent Darek Braunecker is believed to be seeking something around...$91.5 million

#75 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

The Yankees are now at $91 million in their proposal to A.J. Burnett, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

There were reports that Burnett was holding out for a deal equal in value to the extension signed by Carlos Zambrano. If that was true, he'd seem to have it now. It's still a five-year proposal, apparently, so it looks like the Yankees are pretty dramatically overpaying here. Fortunately, they can afford to. There's very little chance of the Braves going that high, and the Red Sox seem to be out of the mix now.

http://www.rotoworld...s...52918&rwr=1

#76 MannysDestination

• is not a republican

• 11062 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Olney says the offer on the table is five years for $80 million.

The Yankees are feeling good about their position in the A.J. Burnett bidding. It is not likely that they will make an offer that is comparable to the $91.5 million deal signed by Carlos Zambrano in August 2007, as has been speculated, but the Yankees are confident that they will have the largest offer on the table -- five years and $80 million -- when the bidding is over.

Whether Burnett takes less with the Braves or some other team is another question entirely. FoxSports.com is reporting that the Braves' offer to Burnett is for four years, not five.

http://sports.espn.g...r_meetings_2008

#77 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2149 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Yanks-Burnett reach 5-year, $82.5 milion deal

So say Ken Rosenthal and Jerry Crasnick.

#78 Remagellan

• 4191 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

So I guess the engagement is off...

I'm hoping that these moves backfire on the MFYs at some point, but watching them flex their financial muscles this way is making me nervous.

The best tonic for those nerves would be the Sox signing Teixeira.

Edited by Remagellan, 12 December 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#79 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9961 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

Olney too.

#80 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3148 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

CC
burnett
Wangsta
Joba
hughes/kennedy

If they get another signed, thats a hella good lineup.

#81 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3541 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

Looks like the August tampering paid off for them. And for Burnett.

Burnett is expected utilize his opt-out window following this season to again test free agency. If he elects to stay with the Jays, his contract would extend two more seasons (2009 and 2010) for $24 million.

Of course, Steinbrenner's comments should be a pretty good indication to Burnett that he can probably make a whole lot more than $24 million with the Yankees over the next several years.

Makes you wonder exactly what the Yankees' Loose Cannon, er, General Partner, would have to say before he actually was slapped with a tampering fine.

CBS Sportsline Blog 8/29

#82 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

That's a lot of money and a lot of years for a 32 year-old with health concerns. But there's no question the Yankee staff will be much-improved this upcoming season. Man, the Beckett signing just looks better and better every year.

#83 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3148 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Who have we signed again? Wes Littleton.

#84 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42449 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

CC
burnett
Wangsta
Joba
hughes/kennedy

I'd say it's as good as Boston's now and Boston's is already "hella good." If they get another signed that would improve it, it would probably be "hella best in baseball." Of course, this is all dependent on injury issues, which could be a legitimate concern with CC and especially Burnett. And they're raking out money like Ted Debiase, but that's their gimmick and they're pretty darn good at it. The fact of the matter is that we always used to chide the Yankees for spending zillions on non-pitching studs, but it seems like they've finally at least figured out that element. They've signed two guys who could, if healthy, be top 10 pitchers in the game.

plus, it will be nice to have some competition from the Yankees again.

#85 someoneanywhere

• 3167 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

So I guess the engagement is off...

I'm hoping that these moves backfire on the MFYs at some point, but watching them flex their financial muscles this way is making me nervous.

The best tonic for those nerves would be the Sox signing Teixeira.

They are simply doing what they do best: not only overpaying, but literally paying for mistakes. I don't mean that signing CC or Burnett is a mistake; I mean that if either misses some time, or even significant time in the next few years, they still have guys in Kennedy or Hughes or even others who can step in and give them those innings. (I find this easier to swallow than, say, watching retreads like Chacon or Aaron Small, doing it.) Where they will truly make a mistake, I think, is if they trade off some of this redundant inventory for aging guys who can't help them over the hump (a la Abreu). If Cashman makes these signings, bearing in mind that he is not going to get "value" or even close to it on either contract, but holds on to some pitching depth, then he's played this right. If he flips some of this pitching depth for true, athletic young talent, he's played it even better.

And yet even with rebuilt rotation, I'll still take my chances with the Sox. They've done nothing, thus far, and still can stand toe to toe with the Bronx.

#86 curly2

• 2703 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

CC
burnett
Wangsta
Joba
hughes/kennedy

They've been talking to Pettitte about coming back for a year, and I think that's the path they'll take, with Hughes and Kennedy waiting in Triple-A.

That's a pretty scary rotation. Although I would rather have Smoltz for a year than Burnett for five. I'm really hoping they can get Smoltz in the fold.

#87 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

Who have we signed again? Wes Littleton.

Well, he was traded for, actually.

But be patient. I'm sure the 'Sox will answer back with a Brad Ausmus signing shortly.

#88 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5207 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Sportsnet in Canada is reporting the Yankees have offered Pettitte a $10 million 1 yr deal.

#89 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12873 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

This signing really doesn't bother me. He has enough history to make me confident that he'll break down plenty.

He's thrown 200+ innings three times in his career. His 204 innings in 2002 were followed by 23 innings in 2003. His 209 innings in 2005(contract year) were followed by 135 in 2006. In 2008(contract year) he threw a career high 221 innings. And he's 32 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carl Pavano redux.

#90 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10469 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

That's a lot of money and a lot of years for a 32 year-old with health concerns. But there's no question the Yankee staff will be much-improved this upcoming season. Man, the Beckett signing just looks better and better every year.

To me, and I am not so pleased with the signing, the silver lining is that they didn't commit 4 or 5 years for close to the same money for Derek Lowe.