Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Report: Sox believed to have made offer to Teixeira

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
712 replies to this topic

#401 beta1296

• 81 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Youkilis played third base for Lowell and Augusta in 2001 according to The Sporting News Baseball Guide, 2002.

I know but, that had that listed on Wiki so I had to throw it out there.

http://en.wikipedia..../Kevin_Youkilis

#402 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

I know but, that had that listed on Wiki so I had to throw it out there.

http://en.wikipedia..../Kevin_Youkilis

Well, either the Guide is wrong or the Wiki entry is wrong.

#403 pdaj

• 2,526 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

In 2001, Youkilis made his professional debut as a catcher with the Lowell Spinners....

I don't know about Lowrie, but Pedroia did, apparently, catch in high school. It wasn't mentioned on his Wiki page, however.

Hartford Courant.

Anyway, back to Teixeira. I keep hearing/reading that Tex remains the Yankees' "fallback option". But if Sabathia remains the Yankees' primary target, how much longer will it be before they alter their plan? Who else can/will match their 6 year, $140 million dollar offer? Considering CC is still looking into possible offers from West Coast teams, I'd have to think the message is pretty clear. New York isn't his preference.

#404 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

Well, either the Guide is wrong or the Wiki entry is wrong.

The Baseball Cube shows that Kevin never played Catcher in his professional career.

#405 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

I don't know about Lowrie, but Pedroia did, apparently, catch in high school. It wasn't mentioned on his Wiki page, however.

Hartford Courant.

Anyway, back to Teixeira. I keep hearing/reading that Tex remains the Yankees' "fallback option". But if Sabathia remains the Yankees' primary target, how much longer will it be before they alter their plan? Who else can/will match their 6 year, $140 million dollar offer? Considering CC is still looking into possible offers from West Coast teams, I'd have to think the message is pretty clear. New York isn't his preference.

My guess would be that CC has said enough to them to keep their hopes alive. Even if he does have his heart set on playing in southern Cal, it doesn't do him any good to have the Yankees bow out of the Sabathia sweepstakes before he's gotten the west coast teams' best offers.

#406 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

Meanwhile, the Sox’ interest in Teixeira is so sincere and strong that the impression is they will wait longer than anyone else before making a huge offer that likely would include a deadline.

The Angels gave Hunter a 48-hour window when they signed him early last offseason, and it is their MO to swoop in and make a take-it-or-leave-it offer. According to a baseball source familiar with the Angels’ thinking, they are readying just such of an offer for Teixeira and Sabathia - and if those fail, for Ramirez as well.

Source: http://www.bostonher...l...&position=3

#407 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

According to a major-league source, Red Sox officials Tuesday night met with agent Scott Boras — presumably their first face-to-face talks on free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira, whom Boston sees as a very good fit. Discussions with Boras could also include pitcher Derek Lowe.

Rosenthal

#408 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

Now that CC has signed, how long does it take Teixeira and Boras?

#409 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,902 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

I'm guessing not terribly long. His only other suitor is LAAAAA and Moreno has a history of of not letting negotiations draw out. He also doesn't seem like he wants to outspend the Sox...

The one thing that wouldn't surprise me is if this negotiation went all JD Drew, and we knew that Tex was going to sign with the Sox, but the details took another month and a half to finalize and announce.

#410 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,998 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

The one thing that wouldn't surprise me is if this negotiation went all JD Drew, and we knew that Tex was going to sign with the Sox, but the details took another month and a half to finalize and announce.

I get your point, but Drew opted out specifically to come to Boston, so letting it drag out was no big deal since there was a pre-determined outcome.

Teixeira is completely free game, so it's still very possible that another team reconsiders if this thing drags out too long.

#411 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,902 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

With CC's deal reported to be worth $160M over 7 years, I wonder if Boras is going to demand that Teixeira top that. $23M per for 7 years?

#412 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Olney: "Nationals concept is 8 years, $20 mil.... Sox are not to that level yet, but the could end up there. This is coming down to a Red Sox/Angels bidding war."

#413 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,428 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

With CC's deal reported to be worth $160M over 7 years, I wonder if Boras is going to demand that Teixeira top that. $23M per for 7 years?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Teixeira sign for 8 Years and between 180-200MM. Especially if/when Boras uses the AAV of CC as the baseline.

#414 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,451 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

He should. Teixeira is 1B not a pitcher. He is far more likely to last all seven years than Sabathia.

#415 Quintanariffic

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

Olney: "Nationals concept is 8 years, $20 mil.... Sox are not to that level yet, but the could end up there. This is coming down to a Red Sox/Angels bidding war."

Oy. So the Nats are prepared to go to 8/$160MM and yet it's going to be a Sox/Angels bidding war? Hello $200MM. No thanks.

#416 jtn46

• SoSH Member

• 6,889 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

Shouldn't the biggest spenders taking themselves out of the Teixeira chase bring down the value of that contract?

Seems like the $$ will be 1. Nats 2. Sox 3. Angels, so it's up to Teixeira to figure out if he'd rather take the highest offer, or be on a competitive team. I doubt the Sox and Angels budget from what they've been offering based too much on the Nats offer or on the CC signing.

#417 MannysDestination

• is not a republican

• 11,062 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Oy. So the Nats are prepared to go to 8/$160MM and yet it's going to be a Sox/Angels bidding war? Hello $200MM. No thanks.

Tex seems to be one of those rare talents that a team can feel relatively comfortable overpaying for. Is $2M/year extra truly a dealbreaker to you? $3M/year? That's all it takes to go from 8/$160 to 8/$180 or 8/$200 (roughly).

#418 Quintanariffic

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Tex seems to be one of those rare talents that a team can feel relatively comfortable overpaying for. Is $2M/year extra truly a dealbreaker to you? $3M/year? That's all it takes to go from 8/$160 to 8/$180 or 8/$200 (roughly).

Well, from $160 to $200, the difference is $5MM a year, so that's pretty substantial. And I don't like 8 year contracts even for position players. Too much can happen during that time span, and you get left with an albatross.

I understand that by definition you're going to overpay if you "win" the bidding for an elite FA. But that doesn't justify overpaying by any amount.

#419 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

The Boston Red Sox have emerged as front-runners, and the Washington Nationals, who appear willing to offer eight years and $160 million, could make the most lucrative bid.

The Baltimore Orioles are in hot pursuit, the Yankees are lurking, and the Angels are growing more concerned that Teixeira might be slipping away, primarily because they'd like to sign him for six or seven years, not the eight or nine it might take.
"At the appropriate time, we will make an offer," Reagins said. "We're prepared to be responsible and reasonable."

Would he consider a 10-year deal responsible and reasonable?

"Right now," Reagins said, "I don't have a clear expectation of what the deal will be."

L.A. Times

What would it take to get him if the Nationals offer 8/160? The Nationals offer him a place to go that is close to home but isn't a winner. The Red Sox offer him just as much money and a chance to win every year. Just like CC, we will see what Teixeira really values. In the end, it is always about money. I just hope the time spent on Teixeira doesn't take away from other options to improve the club at different positions. Knowing Theo, it won't.

#420 paulie102704

• 71 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

I am still not convinced that the 8/$160M from the Nats is non-fiction. Seems to me that it is as bit too convenient that his "hometown" team is willing to go so high when they are years away from competing and have never made a splash like this. I think it is agent leakage to get the Sox/Angels up to the $20M per. I will believe it when I hear something from the Nats.

#421 Bleedred

• 4,067 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone know if clubs actually insure large contracts (I've heard this before, but have never read anything of substance about it)? If they do, how does it work, what are the annual premiums on an 8 year $200 MM contract and what type of return would the club receive if Texiara's leg falls off in year 2?

#422 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,268 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

Except that the Nats dearly need a big boost -- on the field and everywhere else.

And frankly I wouldn't put it past Bowden and Kasten to push the envelope a bit, confident in the knowledge that when the RS develop a woodie for a guy, their sharp pencils get shelved. Would the Nats make a ridiculous offer, no. Would they bump their number to shore up the PR front if and when Tex goes elsewhere -- I wouldn't put it past them. Things are ugly here. Boras almost certainly spots this hole and will run right through it.

#423 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Except that the Nats dearly need a big boost -- on the field and everywhere else.

And frankly I wouldn't put it past Bowden and Kasten to push the envelope a bit, confident in the knowledge that when the RS develop a woodie for a guy, their sharp pencils get shelved. Would the Nats make a ridiculous offer, no. Would they bump their number to shore up the PR front if and when Tex goes elsewhere -- I wouldn't put it past them. Things are ugly here.

I would agree that Bowden and Kasten would love Teixeira, but do you really think that the Lerner family would pony up this kind of money? I don't. As you know the club is short on money, has attendance problems, has lousy players and no chance of righting the ship in the short term. IMO, Teixeira would be a great addition to a club poised to turn the corner, but not for a club that sucks as bad as the Nats. It would be my guess that Ted Lerner will laugh in Kasten's face if this ever gets that high in the organization. Everything I have read about the Lerners is that they are a "bit" dysfunctional.

#424 Ananti

• little debbie downer

• 2,076 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

On the other hand, it would take a very dysfunctional ownership to greenlight such a deal.

#425 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,268 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

The Nats certainly could do worse. They've had some success developing young pitching. They need a bat and someone along with Zimmerman to anchor the franchise.

I don't know how badly the Lerners are feeling the economic pinch. I do know that Kasten and Bowden and the family are fully wedded to the Braves' short-term-pain/long-term-gain development model, which requires patience.

But they are learning that although DC is insane for the Redskins (as in battered spouse insanity, given Danny Snyder's ineptitude and abuse), it's not that great a sports town for everyone else. And, of course, this place is littered with "front-runners" generally -- e.g., the tasseled loafer set that used to show up in Camden, until the Os began to lose.

So something has to give, and I believe that the Nats ownership and executives are smart enough to adjust on the fly.

#426 exGloucester

• 1,185 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

There's nothing I can discern in the history of the Nats, Lerners and Kasten to make it plausible they would pay $20m a year to anyone on an 8-year deal.

I think the Nats will be very content to have their name mentioned in all of this, but that's it.

#427 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

There's nothing I can discern in the history of the Nats, Lerners and Kasten to make it plausible they would pay $20m a year to anyone on an 8-year deal.

I think the Nats will be very content to have their name mentioned in all of this, but that's it.

The bloom is off the rose. Washington finally got its club back in 2005 and drew fairly well. In spite of playing .500 ball their first season, attendance dropped by more than 7,000 per game in 2006 and it continued down. The new stadium was supposed to spark interest but the attendance in its first season (2008) was 4,721 fewer fans than they drew in the club's first season and worse than 12 teams in the league.

Mark Teixeira is from Severna Park, Maryland, which is south of Baltimore and about 25 miles, as the crow flies, from Nationals Park. Maybe the feeling of the Nationals' owners is that adding Teixeira, they will pull more fans from adjacent portions of Maryland and will improve the club's competiveness, drawing back fans who left. Restoring those 4,721 fans per game for 81 games at an average ticket price of $25 per game will add almost 10 million dollars to the gross ticket revenue, plus whatever the club's take from concessions would be. This would pay the yearly salary speculation has them budgeting for Teixeira.

#428 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

According to a source from a team that is involved in negotiations, the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles "are coming in hot" on Teixeira, with the Nationals apparently willing to offer the slugger a 10-year deal for more than $20 million a year and the Orioles willing to go nine years for at least $20 million a year.

Source: http://latimesblogs....ira-negoti.html

#429 exGloucester

• 1,185 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

The bloom is off the rose. Washington finally got its club back in 2005 and drew fairly well. In spite of playing .500 ball their first season, attendance dropped by more than 7,000 per game in 2006 and it continued down. The new stadium was supposed to spark interest but the attendance in its first season (2008) was 4,721 fewer fans than they drew in the club's first season and worse than 12 teams in the league.

Mark Teixeira is from Severna Park, Maryland, which is south of Baltimore and about 25 miles, as the crow flies, from Nationals Park. Maybe the feeling of the Nationals' owners is that adding Teixeira, they will pull more fans from adjacent portions of Maryland and will improve the club's competiveness, drawing back fans who left. Restoring those 4,721 fans per game for 81 games at an average ticket price of $25 per game will add almost 10 million dollars to the gross ticket revenue, plus whatever the club's take from concessions would be. This would pay the yearly salary speculation has them budgeting for Teixeira.

Could be Otto, but I'll shit in my curly W hat if it happens.

With what the Nats have on hand in the way of player personnel, I don't think the addition of Tex at $20M per year is going to make them into a winning team in the foreseeable future, which is what would fill up more seats. If the Nats end up spending to upgrade talent, I think they will spread it around on more than one player, and hope that injuries and nonperformers that killed them last year don't repeat. There's nothing I've heard out of the Nats ownership that would make me believe they will big-spend their way into contention.

#430 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image

LAS VEGAS – The Washington Nationals have stepped boldly into the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, making an offer to the free agent first baseman for what is believed to be at least seven years and $150 million, a highly placed baseball source said Wednesday morning.

Source: http://sports.yahoo....m...o&type=lgns

Edited by Corsi Combover, 10 December 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#431 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Is that the TBS color guy that is unable to be understood? I think he works with the LAAA, maybe he has good info... who knows.

Edited by SoxScout, 10 December 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#432 Jack Sox

• 3,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Is that the TBS color guy that is unable to be understood?

Indeed. Jose Mota, it even reads like a robot.

#433 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,268 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Never say never, cause there is always a first time. Doesn't mean the Nats are going to get him, but there are compelling reasons for a move of this magnitude, and this guy is probably one of the safer candidates for the kind of dollars they're talking about.

Edited by dcmissle, 10 December 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#434 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Sounds like a number that will generate local fan interest, convince people that ownership is "committed" and most importantly it sounds like a number that is comfortably below what the market demands. PR offer by the locals.

#435 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,428 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Sounds like a number that will generate local fan interest, convince people that ownership is "committed" and most importantly it sounds like a number that is comfortably below what the market demands. PR offer by the locals.

That's my take on the offer.

There is no way 150M gets it done after Sabathia just got 160M, none, this is just a move to try and show the fans that are willing to make a big splash.

#436 Kid T

• 501 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

per Ken Rosenthal

The Angels continue to face an uphill fight in their quest to retain free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Teixeira, according to two major-league sources, would prefer to be on the east coast for family reasons.

Unless the Yankees are still in it, Boston may be the only legitimate contender still in it that would be willing to meet his price tag.

#437 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Two sources, within 15 minutes of each other, and one says the Nats have offered 7/$150 and the other says 10/$200? Do I have that right?

Not sure why we hang on each blog update.

#438 CarboCopy

• Wordy McNoprofit

• 5,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Two sources, within 15 minutes of each other, and one says the Nats have offered 7/$150 and the other says 10/$200? Do I have that right?

Not sure why we hang on each blog update.

We're starved for news. We're junkies, and this is our fix.

#439 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,337 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

Mark Teixeira negotiations heating up
11:46 AM, December 10, 2008

LAS VEGAS -- The Yankees' imminent signing of free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia to a seven-year, $160-million deal would seem to take them out of the running for Mark Teixeira, but that will hardly ease the competition the Angels face in retaining the free-agent first baseman.

According to a source from a team who is involved in negotiations, the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles "are coming in hot" on Teixeira, with the Nationals apparently willing to offer the slugger a 10-year deal for more than $20 million a year and the Orioles willing to go nine years for at least $20 million a year.

The Boston Red Sox are also aggressively pursuing Teixeira. For more details, go to

http://latimesblogs....ira-negoti.html

#440 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• PipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

The money being thrown out here is getting out of hand.

At one point do you say: next?

#441 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,962 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

At one point do you say: next?

No. You make your best offer and tell him he can play for *slightly* more and lose most of the time or play for the Sox.

#442 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 10,143 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

What money thrown where?

Wanna bet that Scott Boras is the source of those rumors.

If Teixeira had 10 years and 200 million on the table he'd be getting measured for an Orioles or Nats jersey as I write this.

#443 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• PipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

What money thrown where?

If Teixeira had 10 years and 200 million on the table he'd be getting measured for an Orioles or Nats jersey as I write this.

I take these rumors too literally, but are these figures that far off?

Even $190 million for 10 years doesn't sound all that great...

#444 MannysDestination

• is not a republican

• 11,062 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

If you're Teixeira, do you take higher AAV (say, 22M or 23M) for 7 years with the Sox, or do you take 10 years at $20 per with the Nats/O's? If he's at all thinking about the Hall, it would be Sox in a heartbeat since his counting stats would likely be better here. If he's all about the $$$, I'd imagine he's heading to the Beltway region.

He'd also have a better chance of signing another contract in 7 years rather than 10, but its probably unlikely he'd exceed $20M/year at that stage.

#445 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,336 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

Even $190 million for 10 years doesn't sound all that great...

$19M AAV? By the tenth year, $19M could be the league average for all we know. Tex would still only be 38. As the fan of a large-market team, that figure doesn't scare me at all. It's not like Teixeira is a CF or SS, he already plays the position most have to make the switch to in order prolong their careers.

Edited by The Allented Mr Ripley, 10 December 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#446 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,451 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

What money thrown where?

No he would be taking that offer to the Red Sox to see if they could match or better it.

#447 Everybody Loves Rey Quinones

• 324 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

It would not surprise me to see the Yankees jump in at the end on Teix and trump Theo's trump with a 10 year $250 million contract. The Yankees dropped $82 million from payroll and could land CC, Teix, Lowe and Burnett by adding $82million back in.

CC $23 AAV - 7 years
Teix $25 AAV -10 years
Lowe $17 AAV -4 years
Burnett $17 AAV -5 years

#448 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,603 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

It would not surprise me to see the Yankees jump in at the end on Teix and trump Theo's trump with a 10 year $250 million contract. The Yankees dropped $82 million from payroll and could land CC, Teix, Lowe and Burnett by adding $82million back in.

CC $23 AAV - 7 years
Teix $25 AAV -10 years
Lowe $17 AAV -4 years
Burnett $17 AAV -5 years

That, of course, assumes that the Yankees actually want to add another $82M in long-term contracts. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, even if the Yankees have basically been printing money for the last decade or so, that'd probably be an overextension for them financially.

I really do think that the Teixeira sweepstakes is down to Baltimore, Washington, Boston, and LAAoA. And unless Teixeira really loves being in Maryland or playing for last-place teams, it'll come down to the Angels and Red Sox.

#449 Bongorific

• 4,886 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

CC $23 AAV - 7 years
Teix $25 AAV -10 years
Lowe $17 AAV -4 years
Burnett $17 AAV -5 years

True, but the Yanks shed payroll that was crippling their financial flexibility (yes, even they need that too). I would think they learned the contracts of Giambi, Brown, Pavano, etc. were killing them and they might try a different approach to FA this time around than signing 3 overpaid pitchers and a 10-year position player.

#450 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,161 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

From the RotoWorld News Feed:

MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that the Nationals have offered Mark Teixeira an eight-year, $180 million contract.
It's possible. The Yahoo! report from earlier today said the Nats had made an offer believed to be at least $150 million for seven year, but didn't have the real details. Ladson covers the Nats for MLB.com, so he should have some reliable sources.

From the LA Times:

The Angels, bracing themselves for the loss of Mark Teixeira, are believed to be considering a two-year offer to Manny Ramirez.

EDIT TO ADD: MLB.com link for the 8 year deal

Edited by sachmoney, 10 December 2008 - 06:40 PM.