Point is, I don't thiink any position, bar catcher, is desperately in need of an upgrade. If I had to rank the need for an upgrade in order of need, it would be:
3) Bullpen (if Masterson is starting)
4) Corner IF
I dont disagree with this, but how would you allocate $50-60M over these 4?
1) There are no Mike Piazza or IRod's in their prime available. I would love to sign a stud catcher, but the truth is that unless we resign Tek, which IMO would be a huge waste of money, filling the catcher is going to cost around 300K in cash and something more significant in prospects.
2) Sabathia will cost 20M+, but anything short of Sabathia will cost less. I think its safe to say that signing 1 pitcher will cost roughly 15M (whether it be Burnett, Sheets, Lowe, etc) and signing 2 pitchers will cost roughly 28-30M.
3) We already have Paps, Oki, and MDC, and I think everyone agrees we arent signing KRod or Fuentes, so even if we sign 2-3 arms, this isnt going to cost us more than 10M, tops.
4) That leaves corner IF. Lets say the Sox spend:
Catcher: 4M. Sign a vet for 3.5M (Barajas, Zaun), acquire a young stud for 500K (Salty, Clement, Martin).
Rotation: 15M. Sign a vet for 15M not named Sabathia. Try to sign a second but the terms just arent favorable enough to pull the trigger.
Bullpen: 8M. Sign a decent arm for 4M and two wildcards for 2M each.
Thats 27M, and leaves the team ~23M to play with. Wouldnt signing Sabathia or Teixeira be a great use of this money? Sure, they can sign Tek for 8M and a second SP for 15M, but when you boil it down, wouldnt you rather have Sabathia or Teix over Tek and a 2nd SP?