Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

All Purpose Scrapheap Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10975 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:35 PM

This thread is to keep track of all the players released by other teams that can possibly play for the Pats.

Dopes, please put *this* in the scrapheap if it's better served by individual threads.

#2 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10975 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Just released by the Dolphins:

Derrick Pope, who we've seen in the past few years as a Phin. Only had a handful of starts until last year, when he started a career-best 9 games and finished with 64 tackles.

Also a decent special teams player, and was expected to be the first off the bench for the Vikings until cut today:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3552578

#3 dividius

• 802 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

I doubt the Pats will shell out the kind of contract he's looking for, but Willie Anderson just got cut by the Bengals. He's coming off of an injury plagued season and he's 33 years old, but he would still be a huge upgrade over OC-Turnstile.

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

I'd rather just play KOC if it comes to it, but Simms was cut today.

#5 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

Harrington, Deltha OíNeal

#6 JulE6

• the crying game

• PipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Harrington, Deltha OíNeal

get on the phone with both their agents

#7 ekim colorwaterpit

• 991 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Rudi Johnson
link

#8 Sille Skrub

• 3933 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

From that link about Rudi...

"Johnson came to minicamp in incredible shape. He added muscle and lost body fat."

I wonder where he will land.

#9 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11301 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

"Johnson came to minicamp in incredible shape. He added muscle and lost body fat."

I think he still can play. I had the (mis)fortune of having him on my fantasy team the last four years and although he's injury prone, and was overpaid because of it, he still has some left. Methinks this is a situation of a player getting full of himself, and a cut like this just might snap him back into shape. I hope a division rival doesn't pick him up cause I think he could make a difference this season.

#10 dividius

• 802 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

I think he still can play. I had the (mis)fortune of having him on my fantasy team the last four years and although he's injury prone, and was overpaid because of it, he still has some left.

Minor hijack, but he was a fantasy machine until last season.

From 2004-06, he averaged 12 TD's and 1407 rushing yards a season. He only missed 3 games during those 3 years. That's pretty beastly. Averaging 346 carries a year over those seasons probably spelled his doom, hence his terrible, injury plagued 2007.

He can still be a decent committee back, but his days as a #1 stud are over.

#11 pdaj

• 2343 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

I think he still can play. I had the (mis)fortune of having him on my fantasy team the last four years and although he's injury prone, and was overpaid because of it, he still has some left. Methinks this is a situation of a player getting full of himself, and a cut like this just might snap him back into shape. I hope a division rival doesn't pick him up cause I think he could make a difference this season.

Where in the East would he be guaranteed to play?

He's not goin' to sit behind Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown in Miami. The Jets are pretty set with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. He's better than Dominic Rhodes and Kenton Keith, but I doubt Indy would bring him in.

In truth, New England would have been a good fit. He's better and less injury-prone than LaMont Jordan, IMO. Very effective inside the 5 yard-line. But the Pats are set with Maroney, Faulk, Jordan, and Morris.

Edit: What about Green Bay? Grant's battling injuries. Brandon Jackson was a huge disappointment last year. And he'd be an upgrade over Verand Morency.

I hope he finds a good spot. I think he's got gas left, too.

Edited by pdaj, 30 August 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#12 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

Detroit only has Smith and Bell on their roster, right? Add Johnson and that would be a nice setup.

#13 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10975 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

Old re-re-retreads ahoy: Jets release Hank Poteat and Matt Chatham:

The most significant veterans dropped were eighth-year CB Hank Poteat and ninth-year LB and special-teamer Matt Chatham. Poteat was beaten out by fourth-round draft pick Dwight Lowery. Marques Murrell showed the Jets enough to bump Chatham.

#14 bunchabums

• 220 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

I think he's a good fit in Houston. Ahman is toast and gimpy. The new kid Slaton has turf toe. Chris Brown in on IR. Rudi would make an already good offense much better.

#15 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

Better than scrapheap, but whatever.

The Broncos have told Domonique Foxworth to go home and wait because he is going to be traded soon. ESPN mentions the Patriots, Redskins, Saints, Rams and Browns that could be interested in the nickleback.

Apparently he had a terrible game against the Cards on Friday night. He is still only 25 and is 5-11 180.

#16 Dollar

• 3177 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

The Broncos have told Domonique Foxworth to go home and wait because he is going to be traded soon. ESPN mentions the Patriots, Redskins, Saints, Rams and Browns that could be interested in the nickleback.

Apparently he had a terrible game against the Cards on Friday night. He is still only 25 and is 5-11 180.

I've been a big fan of Foxworth since his Maryland days, and he has always impressed me when I've seen the Broncos. Obviously something must have changed if Shanahan is telling him to go home, but he would definitely be worth a look, and probably a 5th round pick? I'm not sure what his value would be at this point.

Edited by Dollar, 01 September 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#17 Cinco Ocho

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Im a huge Foxworth fan. The whole "go stay at home we will call you" shennaigans is what this weekend is all about. I would be super happy to have this guy.

#18 Seagull

• 366 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

The Patriots hosted three players on tryouts at Gillette Stadium today:

Punter Adam Crossett
Guard Evan Mathis
Punter Waylon Prather
Crossett, a rookie who punted at Missouri, spent time with the Colts this preseason. He has experience punting and placekicking.

Mathis, a third-round draft choice out of Alabama in 2005, spent the first three years of his career with the Panthers (25 games, 15 starts).

Prather, a rookie who punted at San Jose State, spent time with the Saints this preseason.

http://www.boston.co..._host_3_on.html

Interesting that they're bringing in punters. Don't know anything about Mathis, but at least he'd be young and experienced stop-gap depth at RG.

Edited by Seagull, 01 September 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#19 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Detroit only has Smith and Bell on their roster, right? Add Johnson and that would be a nice setup.

And....

The Detroit Lions have confirmed that free agent running back Rudi Johnson has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the team. Because the deal was struck after 4 p.m., after the league offices closed, the signing won't be official until Tuesday morning.

Johnson, who rushed for 1,000 yards in three straight seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (2004-06), is expected to replace Tatum Bell as the No. 2 running back behind starter Kevin Smith.

http://www.mlive.com...with_lions.html

#20 pdaj

• 2343 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Good call, 'Scout.

#21 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10042 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Foxworth was traded to the Falcons of all teams.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3565075

#22 Commander Shears

• 802 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

The Bears waived rookie cornerback Zack Bowman (5th round, 6'1" 193 lb). There were post-draft claims that the Patriots had been interested in him.

EDIT: Patsfans.com has a link to Reiss' comments on Bowman after the draft:

In the fifth round, the Patriots were keeping a close eye on Nebraska defensive back Zackary Bowman and began working the phone lines in hopes of striking a deal to select him. A tentative deal was in place with the Jaguars at No. 143 if Bowman was available. It appeared as if things would work out, but the Bears snared Bowman at No. 142 and the deal was off.

Edited by Commander Shears, 02 September 2008 - 05:21 PM.

#23 nazz45

• 2465 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

The Bears waived rookie cornerback Zack Bowman (5th round, 6'1" 193 lb). There were post-draft claims that the Patriots had been interested in him.

EDIT: Patsfans.com has a link to Reiss' comments on Bowman after the draft:

Serious injuries to both knees derailed him in college, costing him a higher draft status, but if he's healthy -- and remains so -- he's an interesting low-risk gamble. By all accounts he had a strong camp and preseason, but the Bears have a lot of depth at CB and need help on the offensive line.

#24 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as weíre told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millenís office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the teamís in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

http://www.profootba...day-in-detroit/

unreal

#25 JulE6

• the crying game

• PipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

http://www.profootba...day-in-detroit/

unreal

did he legit steal his stuff out of anger? was it a prank? accident? i really hope he stole it out of anger