Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Ryan Westmoreland

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#251 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21592 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

So everyone doesn't have to click through, the above is from 12/11/12

#252 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5723 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Headed to mil camp per Pete Abe

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/303639178212679680 mabrowndog is a dingus

#253 Dick Pole Upside

• 3202 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Westmoreland had a follow-up MRI the other day for his second op and it came back clean (per his own tweet). Great news for him.

#254 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13636 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

The MRI can come back clean, but the odds of him coming back from one of these malformations are extremely slim, especially in a sport in which hand eye coordination is so key. Anecdotal, sure, but my younger brother went through surgeries and radiation for a malformation at MGH, and while his MRIs are clean, he still has speech problems and issues with motor skills. He's facing some incredible odds, so the more power to him if he's able to overcome them.

#255 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 8580 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

They can't not let him go to camp after all that talk about it being his biggest drive for recovering. It is good of the Red Sox organization to still be taking care of him after he is essentially a non-prospect anymore. Realistically, the kid is never going to play professional baseball again. I'm glad the Red Sox have stood by him even knowing that likelihood. 

#256 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7010 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

The MRI can come back clean, but the odds of him coming back from one of these malformations are extremely slim, especially in a sport in which hand eye coordination is so key. Anecdotal, sure, but my younger brother went through surgeries and radiation for a malformation at MGH, and while his MRIs are clean, he still has speech problems and issues with motor skills. He's facing some incredible odds, so the more power to him if he's able to overcome them.

And just to clarify....the MRI "coming back clean" doesn't mean it is normal.  It just means its unchanged from the previous MRI and he hasn't had any new bleeding.  

All of the post operative changes and gliosis is still going to be there. I'll echo everyone else's comments that the odds of any meaningful professional career for the guy is unfortunately slim to none.

#257 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I think Baseball is at the very least secondary at this point... Hopefully he can get himself to where he has a normal quality of life, perhaps the Red Sox can offer him some sort of front office/scouting position when this is all over with. It wouldn't be just a token jesture either, this kid could be such an inspiration to minor leaguers and youngsters who take for granted the talent they have (like Felix Doubront for example).

Edited by Hugh G Rection, 19 February 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#258 StuckOnYouk

• 1779 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Great to see he's doing OK and hope it lasts that way.

I agree, can't see any chance he realistically plays again. Sure would have been great to see an OF in a year or two of Brentz/Bradley/Westmoreland..

#259 LogansDad

• 4863 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://www.sportsone...ticle/63382680/

Ryan Westmoreland: Beard wearing Red Sox fan. 

Sounds like he is doing as well as can be expected, and he is now working towards a degree.  Hopefully the rest of his life is long and happy.

#260 Rusty Gate

• 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sounds like he is doing as well as can be expected, and he is now working towards a degree.  Hopefully the rest of his life is long and happy.

Wonderful article. The Sox should have him throw out the first ball for game 6.

#261 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8065 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for this, great story.

#262 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1582 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

http://www.boston.co...ners_honor.html

Spinners to retire his number.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users