Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Fastest man alive (the 100 meters race)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1,150 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

Gay vs. Powell vs. Bolt

Bolt just advanced easily to the finals with a smooth 9.85. Powell and Gay are about to run.

Didn't see a thread on this...finals coming up in 2 hours.

#2 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1,150 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

Wow. Gay misses the finals, finishes 5th right after Patton. There goes the three-way battle.

Edited by RedSoxinIsrael, 16 August 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#3 El Tiante

• 1,800 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

No surprise there.

#4 PayrodsFirstClutchHit

• 3,398 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

They just showed the race on the Canadian broadcast.

Bolt wins and breaks the WR while hot dogging and coasting the last 20M. 9.69

Edited by PayrodsFirstClutchHit, 16 August 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#5 cjdmadcow

• 1,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

I don't think I need to highlight any potential spoilers by saying that was one of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen in sport!

Simply unbelievable.

#6 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1,150 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

That was AMAZING. Not even close.

#7 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,922 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

I thought the 200 winner was the fastest man alive in years the 100 winner wasn't American? I think it is called the Costas rule.

It is good to see Jamaicans winning for Jamaica.

#8 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6,628 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

I thought the 200 winner was the fastest man alive in years the 100 winner wasn't American? I think it is called the Costas rule.

It is good to see Jamaicans winning for Jamaica.

He had plenty left in the tank too so the world record will fall again, when he decides to race for 100M.

I think the USA ought to do what they do best and have him rubbed out. Or hobbled. Cos he's going to be around for a while.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Man, Bolt is one cool mofo.

And has maybe the best name ever.

#10 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Whoa. What could he run going full out? Good lord that was incredible.

#11 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,416 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

He could have broken 9.6 if he wanted to.

#12 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 15,308 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

He could have broken 9.6 if he wanted to.

A real shame he didn't keep the hammer down. Next Olympics is 4 years away, and he could blow a hammy or two before then.

#13 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,750 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

unbelievable

#14 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

I wish I was Jamaican.

#15 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

Wow. Knowing Bolt won, even in world record fashion, since last night, I wasn't expecting to be all that impressed by the video, but damn that was something else. At about 60 meters, everyone was at max speed next and Bolt just surged ahead like it was nothing.

Easily the most impressive thing I've seen during these games.

#16 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,386 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:38 AM

A real shame he didn't keep the hammer down. Next Olympics is 4 years away, and he could blow a hammy or two before then.

He can still break the record in other races.

But I do understand your point that it is more special to set a WR at the Olympics than another meet. Assuming that is your point.

#17 fletcherpost

• 6,628 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:30 AM

He said in an interview that once he realized he had won the race, like when he looked round and no one was living with him he just lost it and felt elated and stuff.

But he'll get more money for breaking it during the Grand Prix Season.

#18 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 15,682 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

Anyone have a link to the video? I can't find it.

#19 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Anyone have a link to the video? I can't find it.

Right at the top in the Highlights sections here: http://www.nbcolympi...ideo/index.html

#20 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 15,682 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for that.

And oh yeah, holy shit. I think he legitimately has a sub 9.50 run in him.

#21 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

Someone said that time was like running the 40 in 3.54

Add in that he's 6'5---someone needs to see if he can catch a football..

#22 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,804 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

Someone said that time was like running the 40 in 3.54

Add in that he's 6'5---someone needs to see if he can catch a football..

I think the bulk of the excellence there wasn't in the first 40, though. He actually looked a little awkward and geeky at the start - it's his top-end that was awe inspiring.

#23 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 15,682 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

Is this guy running the 200 or the 400? He seems like he would be a shoe-in to take the 200, and if he has the stamina, the 400 could easily be his, just based on the headstart he could give himself. Just epic, once-in-a-lifetime type of speed.

#24 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,386 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

Is this guy running the 200 or the 400? He seems like he would be a shoe-in to take the 200, and if he has the stamina, the 400 could easily be his, just based on the headstart he could give himself. Just epic, once-in-a-lifetime type of speed.

I know they were saying he was originally a 200 guy and only started running the 100 over a year ago so I'm assuming he's still going to do the 200. I may not have the story correct but its something along those lines

#25 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Bolt still has the 200m, which he claims is his best event (yikes), and the 4x100m relay left to win.

And I think the 200m starts tomorrow morning. Not sure when NBC will show it, though. Probably three weeks from now.

#26 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Could Olympic sprinter Bolt to the NFL?

"I'm sure it's being talked about all over the league right now," said Sundquist, who was fired as the general manager of Denver in March. "The nature of the league is to be captivated by speed and size and this kid is blessed with both."

"If this kid said he wanted to tryout out for the NFL and he traveled to Miami for a workout, I guarantee at least half the teams would send somebody to check him out," Green said. "I'd go. I wouldn't want to be the team to miss out on a guy like this if he panned out."

"It has happened before," Green said. "But none of those guys were as fast or as tall as Bolt is. It's a legitimate thought."

"It wouldn't necessarily be easy," Sundquist said. "Sprinters don't always translate to the NFL. By nature, a lot of sprinters are ginger." Still, Sundquist went back to Bolt's size and speed. "Maybe there's a team that tells him, 'Don't worry about it. Just run go routes. Just run as fast as you can and we'll throw you a deep ball,' " Sundquist said. "If that's the case, he could be dangerous. You can't deny his gifts. That's first thing you think of when you see him."

Frankly this was one of the first thoughts in my mind. The guy even looks like he could be T.O.'s brother.

Edited by SoxScout, 18 August 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#27 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

Could Olympic sprinter Bolt to the NFL?
Frankly this was one of the first thoughts in my mind. The guy even looks like he could be T.O.'s brother.

You know, there's a little bit of cultural arrogance in this line of thought.

Just because the NFL is imporant to us in North America, we project that onto others. This guy's going to make himself a boatload of money as a track star, for many years to come, what does he stand to gain by playing football? The only reason, really, is the athletic challenge of it - which might intrigue a guy. Honestly, though, running a sub 9.6 100m > any number of Super Bowl rings.

#28 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,416 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

You know, there's a little bit of cultural arrogance in this line of thought.

Just because the NFL is imporant to us in North America, we project that onto others. This guy's going to make himself a boatload of money as a track star, for many years to come, what does he stand to gain by playing football? The only reason, really, is the athletic challenge of it - which might intrigue a guy. Honestly, though, running a sub 9.6 100m > any number of Super Bowl rings.

Agreed. Honestly he would make a lot less money the next 3-5 years as an NFL project at WR than he would as a world class sprinter, while taking a beating at a sport he may know nothing about. Of course if he becomes an elite WR and stays healthy, he would make a lot more money in years 4-10, but really what would be the odds of that happening (I'd say less than 5%)

He is going to make 7 figures the next few years running Sprints. Why would he give that off for a spot on an NFL practice squad, or at best a spot as the 53rd man on a roster making NFL minimum, and sitting on the inactive list on a weekly basis.

#29 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:56 AM

I agree, too, FnL. To throw away a potentially legendary sprinting career just to try some sport that the vast majority of the people on this planet find beyond stupid, because there is some sort of parochial sentiment for it, makes zero sense. I mean, he's the fastest man in the history of man. It doesn't get much better than that.

#30 fletcherpost

• 6,628 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:44 AM

Bolt is the top man of Athletics. He's the star of the show. He might have ten years at the top, he's only 21 now. Endorsements and prize money - he's going to coin it in. e'd be a totaly mug to go go into the NFL and be swallowed up by the show.

As it is, he's almost bigger than his sport...I don't think any Pro Footballer is bigger than the NFL. Plus i think he likes his lifestyle, being laid back, playing to the cameras...being the man and not having big guys with helmets on trying to knock him over.

#31 octoberaroma

• 323 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:26 AM

I watched him run in Round 1 today for the 200 meter. He easily qualified for Round 2 which will be tomorrow. The thing that amazed me today was that at about 100 meters he knew he was going to finish in the top three and just cruised the last 100 meters at about 3/4 speed.

#32 Joe Sixpack

• 2,025 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, there's really no reason to think he'd be interested in the NFL -- if he wasn't a sprinter, he has said would like to play cricket instead:

Growing up in Jamaica, Bolt was a handy fast bowler in his youth and he says cricket would be his profession of choice, outside athletics.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ics/7540279.stm

He also turned down scholarships from US universities saying he'd like to remain in Jamaica.

He was offered track scholarships by several U.S. colleges but declined. "This is where I'm comfortable," he says. "I can't live outside Jamaica."

http://sportsillustr...usain.bolt0728/

#33 JimD

• 4,793 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

The guy even looks like he could be T.O.'s brother.

He sure acted like T.O. after he won the race.

#34 Orel Miraculous

• 1,533 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image

Jesus. Christ. Guy did it with his shoes untied.

#35 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,750 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Bolt is the top man of Athletics. He's the star of the show. He might have ten years at the top, he's only 21 now. Endorsements and prize money - he's going to coin it in. e'd be a totaly mug to go go into the NFL and be swallowed up by the show.

As it is, he's almost bigger than his sport...I don't think any Pro Footballer is bigger than the NFL. Plus i think he likes his lifestyle, being laid back, playing to the cameras...being the man and not having big guys with helmets on trying to knock him over.

As Muhammed Ali said about his decision to box instead of play football, - and I paraphrase - in football, they can't see my face.

#36 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

Not sure if this is quite the right thread - but while some for a while considered Ben Johnson to be pretty fast, now he's announcing to the world that, in fact, he's a little "slow".

Johnson Sues Ex-Lawyer

Part of the filing;

psychiatric experts hired by the lawyer and paid for by Johnson concluded in February of 1989 that "there is overwhelming evidence that Mr. Johnson is intellectually retarded."

Is there a PR strategy here that makes is a GOOD thing to announce this to the world on the one day in four years people still talk about you? Maybe something along the lines of "Maybe Ben was just too dumb to know he was cheating"? I know this is Bolt's thread - but you can't ignore a juicy quote like that...

Edited by Fred not Lynn, 18 August 2008 - 10:42 AM.

#37 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,618 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Little late to the party but I especially enjoyed the comment by the NBC guy (I really don't know who he is) about Bolt's run being so incredible it was like the speed seen on video games.

#38 physcho20x9

• 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

I wanted to chime in - the Men's 100M final is the moment I'll remember long past anything else from these Olympics. I can't remember being wowed as much by anything in the past twenty years of the Olympics. To see him gliding into the finish as everyone else leaned in for second place was amazing. I'm excited for the 200M final!
Posted Image

#39 cjdmadcow

• 1,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Here in the UK we are fortunate to have Michael Johnson working for the BBC in Beijing as an analyst. Always eloquent, he had some interesting comments about Bolt after his 100m win (all very positive).

He accepts the fact that his 19.32 world 200m record will go to Bolt at some point soon but he's not convinced it will be in Beijing. He still thinks he has work to do on his stamina but seeing him stroll thru the 200m qualifiers it's hard to see him not breaking it...if he wants to.

I'm looking forward to the 200m final tomorrow (Wed). When you get a special talent like this working at the highest level of his sport, well it's something to be savoured and cherished because it doesn't happen often.

#40 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1,150 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

INSANE Bolt! WOW.

#41 cjdmadcow

• 1,276 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

Not to get to 'game-thready' here but... Oh My God!!!

Bolt wins the 200m in a new world record of 19.30

Discuss

#42 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

BOB BEAMON-ESQUE

#43 cheekydave

• 2,397 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

I got a live stream on sopcast channel 48857 the womens 400 meters final about to go off

#44 Kremlin Watcher

• 2,824 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Wouldn't it be something to watch 1996 Michael Johnson race 2008 Usain Bolt? Those guys could push one another to a sub-19.3.

#45 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,468 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

I wanted to chime in - the Men's 100M final is the moment I'll remember long past anything else from these Olympics. I can't remember being wowed as much by anything in the past twenty years of the Olympics. To see him gliding into the finish as everyone else leaned in for second place was amazing. I'm excited for the 200M final!
Posted Image

That and Phelps winning by 2 seconds in the 200M are the two biggies for me.

#46 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,804 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

BOB BEAMON-ESQUE

He broke the record by 2/100th of a second. If this speaks to anything, it speaks to the awesomeness of Johnson's record - having lasted 12 years, and still only being broken by 2/100th by a guy as phenomenal as Bolt, who this time DID appear to be going at 100%.

#47 LateRally

• 4,158 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Something I've always wondered about Michael Johnson. If you're going 19.3, that means your 100 splits have to be at least in the 9.6-9.7 range right? So why wasn't Johnson a better 100 runner? The only thing I can think of is that he was a slow starter and maybe his second 100 was just insane. But I've always wondered about this. Am I missing something?

#48 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,804 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Something I've always wondered about Michael Johnson. If you're going 19.3, that means your 100 splits have to be at least in the 9.6-9.7 range right? So why wasn't Johnson a better 100 runner? The only thing I can think of is that he was a slow starter and maybe his second 100 was just insane. But I've always wondered about this. Am I missing something?

Yes, the second 100m is signifigantly faster than 1/2 the total time because it's from a flying start. You can't say the 100 split is 9.6 or 9.7.

I'd love to see a few creative track events to spice things up;

1.) A flying "time trap" where a guy is allowed how ever much space he wants to gain speed and it either timed through a 25m "trap" or just has his speed measured by a radar gun.

2.) A combined sprint event where you do a 100m, 200m and a 400m (and maybe a fourth distance...either 300m, or 500m I guess) and the combined times are pro-rated and added up.

#49 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3,189 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yes, the second 100m is signifigantly faster than 1/2 the total time because it's from a flying start. You can't say the 100 split is 9.6 or 9.7.

I'd love to see a few creative track events to spice things up;

1.) A flying "time trap" where a guy is allowed how ever much space he wants to gain speed and it either timed through a 25m "trap" or just has his speed measured by a radar gun.

2.) A combined sprint event where you do a 100m, 200m and a 400m (and maybe a fourth distance...either 300m, or 500m I guess) and the combined times are pro-rated and added up.

I guess there aren't any stadiums big enough for it, but I'd like to see the 200m run on a straightaway, rather than around a turn. That would make it more a test of true, raw speed, rather than a test, at least partially, of technique in "running the turn."

I also like the idea of a "time trap," in which the runners are given a, say, 15m or 20m head start then timed on the 100m from there. The 100m run from the starting blocks is the equivalent of the standing long jump, which was elimaited from the Olympics, oh, about a hundred years ago. Let's see how fast these guys can really go.

#50 LahoudOrBillyC

• Indian name is Massages Ellsbury

• 3,937 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

An odd version of the "time trap" is the anchor leg of the relay. It is not a true running start, its more like a jogging start. The two most amazing anchors are said to be run by
== Bob Hayes in 1964 (he got the baton in 5th place, and won easily)
== Carl Lewis in 1992 (got it just ahead of Jamaica and finished with the Jamaican not on the TV screen)

I would suggest that the difference between Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt in their respect WR 200s can be accounted for by the track. Unlike swimming, where the technique and training make old records a joke, I believe if you tranformed the 1964 Bob Hayes onto the Beijing track he stays with Bolt.

Lewis's anchor leg was 8.85 by the way.