Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Track & Field

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#51 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:37 PM

It must be so tempting to start running when you fall behind and are unable to catch up because you have to effing walk.

To me this race comes down to which one can cheat the most without getting caught.

#52 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6455 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

Oh My Goodness. the USA mens 4 X 100M relay team in the Semi Final.

Oh My.

EDIT: Oh my - the Brits as well.

Edited by fletcherpost, 21 August 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#53 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

Wow.

#54 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

what happened?

#55 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

AGAIN?!

#56 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6455 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Oh dear.

#57 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

Oh dear.

details ladies.

#58 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Story is here

http://www.nbcolympi...on 4x100m relay

Good grief, if they let Bolt run the finish leg for Jamaica in the finals he might run it backwards

#59 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

details ladies.

Sorry I wasn't sure how to make a spoiler box or if I needed to...

U.S. Men's 4X100 drops the stick thing and fails to qualify for the finals.

U.S. Women 4X100 team does the same thing on the last transfer and is out as well.

Brutal.

#60 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

Do Merritt and Wariner not like each other? Neither seemed very supportive of each other by their words (Merritt) and actions (Wariner) during the semis of the 400m.

RE: 400 meters finals

Merritt wins it with 43.76, Wariner didn't look very good. All 3 medals to the US as the bronze medal winner (not sure of his name) fell into 3rd place at the last second.

#61 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10024 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

USA Track has been an utter disaster this entire Olympics. 4 years from now once the US Men's Basketball teams takes the gold this year the title of Redeem Team needs to go to them. Major Bust as this olympics.

#62 JimRiceHOFer

• 587 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

The next big test for Jamaica will be to see if they can break the 4x100 m relay world record, curently held by the USA team of (Michael Marsh, Leroy Burrell, Dennis Mitchell, Carl Lewis) 37.40 WR, set in the Olympics in Barcelona in 1992.

With Asafa Powell and Usain Bolt, they should have a good shot at it, if they can make smooth baton passes. Asafa Powell already holds the fastest anchor leg in history of 8.84.

This is the last world record that Carl Lewis still holds (other than the rarely run 4x200 m relay race).

#63 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Tonight is MUST SEE TV! [/NBC]

#64 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

USA Track has been an utter disaster this entire Olympics. (...) Major Bust as this olympics.

You should read what the coaches of other nations have to say about why the US is having such a disappointing Olympic track and field experience.

Hint: it does include 'busts'

#65 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3612 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

You should read what the coaches of other nations have to say about why the US is having such a disappointing Olympic track and field experience.

Hint: it does include 'busts'

This is either about breasts or doping...that said, a lot of the US misfortune is executional error like baton dropping, linsstepping or hurdletripping, which might be karmic and is definitely a failure of athletic skill, but it isn't about doping in one way or another.

So guess it is about breasts.

Sadly, the one of the greatest side-effects of doping is that it tarnishes all greatness. No matter the sport, if you're too good, there will be talk. No matter the sport, the coaches/athletes/TV guys/fans of the rank-and-file will speak sometimes in hushed tones, sometimes out loud wondering just HOW the top dogs got so good.

I might add for Tony's pleasure, that there's a particularly strong Dutch team in a particular winter sport that perennially inspires the vintining of a few cases of the same sour grape whine behind the scenes too...that's just how it goes. If you dare kick ass, you just have to be prepared for those whispers.

Edited by Fred not Lynn, 21 August 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#66 Warning Track Speed

• 465 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I might add for Tony's pleasure, that there's a particularly strong Dutch team in a particular winter sport that perennially inspires the vintining of a few cases of the same sour grape whine behind the scenes too...that's just how it goes. If you dare kick ass, you just have to be prepared for those whispers.

You don't hear those whispers about the Jamaican bobsledders, though.

#67 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

Purple skunk is not performance enhancing.

#68 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3612 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

You don't hear those whispers about the Jamaican bobsledders, though.

Funny thing about media hype; Everyone wanted to cover the Jamaican bobsled team when they were loveable losers, crashing and coming in last in 1988. No one really cared when they were legitimate middle-of-the-pack world class competitors by 1994 placing 14th in Lillehammer.

#69 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

You are familiar with Sprint Capitol USA, right?

It's quite accurate to say that the track and field landscape in the US over the last dozen years orso was built around Spint Capitol USA. How many Olympic medals were stripped from US athletes the last few years? How many records were thrown out?

What everybody else is saying, is that over the last few Olympics US track and field has been a pipe-dream (or a vial-dream) and what you see now is a more accurate reflection of how things are. The US is still a power house in international track and field, it just doesn't dominates as it did when all those North Carolina based runners were using human growth hormones (for strength) and EPO (to increase endurance).

Doesn't have much to do with sour grapes. Or with whispers.

Edited by Tony the Pony, 21 August 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#70 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3612 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

It's quite accurate to say that the track and field landscape in the US over the last dozen years orso was built around Spint Capitol USA. How many Olympic medals were stripped from US athletes the last few years? How many records were thrown out?

What everybody else is saying, is that over the last few Olympics US track and field has been a pipe-dream (or a vial-dream) and what you see now is a more accurate reflection of how things are. The US is still a power house in international track and field, it just doesn't dominates as it did when all those North Carolina based runners were using human growth hormones (for strength) and EPO (to increase endurance).

Doesn't have much to do with sour grapes. Or with whispers.

I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just saying it is tragic that it comes to this...

#71 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Are you f'ing kidding me? They are being embarrassed at the sprints. Wow!

Edit: I need to start watching this live online.

Edit 2: This isn't that hard, it really isn't. Place the baton in the next hand and hold on until they have the grip.

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 21 August 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#72 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

The way I feel about Usain Bolt is the way I feel about Phelps - I want him to run every single race they have.

#73 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Did the announcer just say the bad "luck" of the US track team continues? Luck doesn't have shit to do with this.

Edited by njingles3, 21 August 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#74 jkempa

• 4869 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

Bob Neumeier has the biggest dickhead job in the Olympics.

#75 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

neither does "voodoo"--tough that it happened two Olympics in a row for the women

#76 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

Did the announcer just say the bad "luck" of the US track team continues? Luck doesn't have shit to do with this.

The worst part for me is they keep hitting on how this happened in 2004 and now it happened and how the US would have won in 2004.

Sure that's true, but even if the US had won in 2004 all that would have meant is another stain on US track, because it is anothe medal that would have been vacated because of Marion Jones participation.

Do they always run track in the rain? For some reason I thought they didn't. I could have sworn one night got rained out in 96

#77 gingerbreadmann

• 271 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

I imagine he's referring to the injuries of Tyson Gay, Sanya Richards in the last 100 meters, and just losing in general, etc. But you're right, this shit isn't luck, it's just being stupid.

#78 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 14655 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Are you f'ing kidding me? They are being embarrassed at the sprints. Wow!

Edit: I need to start watching this live online.

Edit 2: This isn't that hard, it really isn't. Place the baton in the next hand and hold on until they have the grip.

The worst part of all this is they are dropping the damn thing in the semifinals. I don't care if the US runners come to a complete stop when passing the baton, they would have made it to the Finals easily. At least you can excuse it in the Finals as going all out, but there is no fucking reason to be dropping it in the semis. Embarrassing is the perfect description.

Someone really ought to take a good look at the blood of the folks coming from Sprint Capitol Jamaica. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest follower of track & field, but the fact that a tiny country that size is dominating these events is a wee bit, strange.

And that's the real problem with steroids, nobody is ever going to be above suspicion again.

Edited by Deathofthebambino, 21 August 2008 - 08:27 PM.

#79 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9658 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

USA Track has been an utter disaster this entire Olympics.

The Track team is racking up the medals. Just not winning much aside from Men's 400m and 400m hurdles.

The 4x100m relays were an utter disaster, I concede.

#80 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

I always thought the 110 hurdles Gold was in the bag like Women's Basketball. Guess not. Then again, I thought the same thing about Softball. :rolling:

#81 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2397 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

If I understand correctly, during sprints, the entire field is allowed one false start. After that first false start, any subsequent jumps would disqualify the person who committed it, even if it's their first false start.

I'm watching the hurdles final and they mention that Oliver from the US is not a great starter but finishes strong. Wouldn't it just be good strategy on Oliver's part to automatically false start every race he's in? By doing so, he forces everyone else in his heat to be a bit slower and more methodical coming out of the blocks out of fear of being DQd, thus, leveling the playing field and giving him a better chance of winning?

If I'm misinterpreting the rule in some way, I apologize. I just couldn't help thinking that as I watched this race. The Cuban hurdling juggernaut, Robles, was pretty much being given the gold by the commentators before the race even started. As Oliver, why not walk up the blocks knowing full well you're going to commit a false start and reset in the blocks for the real race?

#82 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

The Track team is racking up the medals. Just not winning much aside from Men's 400m and 400m hurdles.

Jamaica has more Golds than the US 5-4,correct? I'm sorry, in track, the US is expected to win.

racking up? compared to what? Thank goodness for the 400's, but the US has historically excelled at the long jump and 200.

#83 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

Bob Neumeier has the biggest dickhead job in the Olympics.

You're not kidding. Gay's biggest relief with being done with the Olympics has gotta be that he doesn't have to stand in front of that SOB anymore.

"This has just been symbolic of your year hasn't it?" "You had a chance to medal in the 100, 200, and the 4x100"

#84 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

Women's 4X100 relay final:

Jamaica drops the baton on the next to last transfer. Russia takes the gold, Belgium (first medal in Beijing I believe) with the silver and Nigeria with the bronze. Great Britain also disqualified.

#85 WoburnDiaspora

• 2660 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

Bryan Clay is really, really close to winning the decathlon.

He needs to run the 1,5000 meter race in less then 4:28.04 to break the world record. He is in the lead after 9 events and looks to be a lock for gold.

#86 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

4X100 Men's relay finals

Jamaica wins by a HUGE margain with a new WR of 37.10. Bolt was great again and Powell too. Trinidad with the silver (a full second behind Jamaica) and Japan with the bronze.

#87 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

That has pretty much always been the case. American audiences just have never really warmed up to field events. At least now you can actually watch these events online

Al Oerter, Bob Beamon, Carl Lewis, and NBC's advertising budget in 1992 all say hi. Seriously though, they do show the field events in Decathlon and Heptathlon (which are made up 60% of the competition, and with America's history, shouldn't be a surprise).

The decisions in this morning's overnight USA show were quite remarkable. They show 3 hours and 45 minutes of the 50K racewalk (has America warmed up to this event? I don't know anyone who has), but show 2 minutes of the Women's Javelin and only 2 competitors - don't even show the bronze medalist - and show 2 minutes and 3 competitors in the Men's Triple Jump (an event with some past American success and IMHO much more entertaining that watching human penguins dump water on their head).

Thank goodness for the FF4 function on the DVR receiver . . .

(if anyone made a similar comment above, I apologize, I am not yet caught up with the results)

#88 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Al Oerter, Bob Beamon, Carl Lewis, and NBC's advertising budget in 1992 all say hi. Seriously though, they do show the field events in Decathlon and Heptathlon (which are made up 60% of the competition, and with America's history, shouldn't be a surprise).

The decisions in this morning's overnight USA show were quite remarkable. They show 3 hours and 45 minutes of the 50K racewalk (has America warmed up to this event? I don't know anyone who has), but show 2 minutes of the Women's Javelin and only 2 competitors - don't even show the bronze medalist - and show 2 minutes and 3 competitors in the Men's Triple Jump (an event with some past American success and IMHO much more entertaining that watching human penguins dump water on their head).

You are just reinforcing the point that was made. The quote you took was responding to someone who said, NBC only shows field event where Americans medal. They will always cover events where the face of the event is an American, even if the American doesn't end up medaling. Americans haven'
t warmed up to field events. Yes they have sometimes warmed up to field athletes (Bruce Jenner), but as soon as that American star is gone, their interest in the event is also gone

Good grief, last Olympics we saw a bunch of Curling, because there was a telegenic blond female on the US team.

If The US had a telegenic blond female who was reasonably competitive in ping pong, we'd see ping pong matches on NBC during prime time.

Had their been an American in that triple jump this year who had a chance to win, then you absolutely would have seen more of the Triple jump.

Some events will get prime time coverage even when there is no American element. There have been years where the US gymnastics team was down and still gymnastics were shown, because NBC knows people will tune in to see it. (but with no US presence they will scale back coverage some). Events like the 100M will always be covered even if the US isn't in it.

#89 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

What's your theory on showing the racewalk in its entirety? Was there an American medal hopeful there? (I don't know, I FF4'ed it)

(I don't think I ever disputed the points about American presence or telegeneity. Very true there. I am saying that it doesn't make sense that American are more warmed to watching a 50K race walk for 3.75 hours, with no American hopefuls, than to a 15-20? minute Field competition with no American hopefuls).

IMHO, it would have made sense, at the very least, to cut away from portions of the 3.75 hour race walk to show some coverage of events that were otherwise not televised or to televise them more fully.

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 22 August 2008 - 01:27 PM.

#90 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

What's your theory on showing the racewalk in its entirety? Was there an American medal hopeful there? (I don't know, I FF4'ed it)

Now that I have no clue on.

Sometimes things like that pop up that are unexplained. My guess is that the contract NBC has given these sister networks is pretty stiff about what they are and are not allowed to show during the overnight program. Maybe NBC didn't want to waste anything else on that broadcast, in case they decided to show it at some other time

#91 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

I just looked up how the US Men did in T&F 40 years ago (somewhat of a home-field advantage). It would be nice to bring back that dominance (if only to be able to see the events on TV).

#92 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14589 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Good grief, last Olympics we saw a bunch of Curling, because there was a telegenic blond female on the US team.

If The US had a telegenic blond female who was reasonably competitive in ping pong, we'd see ping pong matches on NBC during prime time.

The US men's team led by Pete Fenson got the most coverage at the last Olympics (and they wound up pulling down a bronze).

Fenson became enough of a minor celebrity that NBC and others have aired a few other curling events since then. I'm not kidding, there's been non-Olympic curling on network TV several times in the past couple years. There was some outdoor curling event with Fenson's team vs. a Canadian team in Rockefeller Plaza on TV this past winter.

EDIT: Here's a link. I couldn't believe it when I caught it while channel-flipping.
http://curlnews.blog...er-curling.html

"Yep, the Korbel Elite Curling Challenge is back, and filming goes this Friday, for any interested passers-by. The USA Curling affair will be filmed and run as a 90-minute TV special on NBC on December 23.
This Saturday, Fenson talkes on charismatic Swedish champion Peja Lindholm in the outdoor match, which is sure to cause more than a few double-takes. Both teams are stopping in New Yawk en route to an AWCT stop in Brooks, Alberta.

Meanwhile, Team Fenson is scheduled as guests on NBC’s Today Show this Friday morning (exact time not set)."

Edited by SumnerH, 22 August 2008 - 04:32 PM.

#93 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Really sucks that the Jamaican women fumbling around with the baton crossed lanes and interfered with the British relay team in the 4X100.

That must really suck to get knocked out because someone interfered with you

#94 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

I really hope Jamaica decides to throw Bolt out there in the 4X400

The man is worth the price of admission

#95 Rdsxmbnt

• 283 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

I avoid ESPN and anything Olympics related for the entire day so I can watch the 4X100 without knowing the results...and NESN flashes the result during the Sox game. Still a great race, Bolt extremely impressive again.

#96 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3612 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

I avoid ESPN and anything Olympics related for the entire day so I can watch the 4X100 without knowing the results...and NESN flashes the result during the Sox game. Still a great race, Bolt extremely impressive again.

If you were really interested you would have gotten up and watched it live...

#97 Rdsxmbnt

• 283 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

If you were really interested you would have gotten up and watched it live...

That's not really necessary when it's going to be shown in prime-time later that night. My point is it would have been better for NESN to say "Bolt goes for his third gold on sportsdesk" rather than "Bolt wins his third gold"

#98 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3612 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

That's not really necessary when it's going to be shown in prime-time later that night. My point is it would have been better for NESN to say "Bolt goes for his third gold on sportsdesk" rather than "Bolt wins his third gold"

So you're saying you want the whole world to not discuss an event that occured hours ago so you can make believe it's happening later? If you wan't to experience the thrill of seeing sport live, you need to make the effort to see it live - not expect everyone ELSE to act like it didn't already happen.

#99 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

These songs of freedom? -
cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs

#100 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hello Blanka Vlasic. 6'4" is a bit tall for me (like maybe a foot), but wow what a babe