Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Olympic Tennis Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,915 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

Shocking result....
James Blake Beat Roger Federer today!!!

#2 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,915 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Serena lost as well.

#3 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1,150 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

Blake loses 3 match points vs. Gonzalez and it's 6-6 in the 3rd set.

#4 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6,555 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

Oh Dear. James Blake reckons Gonzalez maybe have been a little unsporting near the end of their match. Blake hits a shot that was going out, but thinks it clipped his opponent's racket. Umpire didn't see it, but the replay shows that it might well have nicked the racket.

Blake wasn't the same after that, didn't win another game.

Not sure of this clip from the BBC website will work for non UK users but here's hoping clip of incident

Edited by fletcherpost, 15 August 2008 - 09:15 AM.

#5 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,915 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

I saw the Blake match and it's a joke that 1. The chair umpire missed such an obvious call. 2. That Gonzalez didn't come forward and admit the mistake. 3. The USA tv crew did everything but blame the entire match on that one point.

It was an unfortunate call against Blake, but he needed to get over it and he clearly couldn't recover mentally. Great players have an ability to move on and Blake clearly isn't one of those.

#6 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,915 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Nadal v. Jokie on MSNBC right now and it's a fantastic match.

#7 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,915 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

After the match Blake said "if I had done (what Gonzalez) had done, my father would have pulled me off the court."

Jokie/Nadal was great tennis. Nadal/Gonz final won't be close. Bronze medal match of Blake/Jokie could be fun.

#8 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

I saw the Blake match and it's a joke that 1. The chair umpire missed such an obvious call. 2. That Gonzalez didn't come forward and admit the mistake. 3. The USA tv crew did everything but blame the entire match on that one point.

It was an unfortunate call against Blake, but he needed to get over it and he clearly couldn't recover mentally. Great players have an ability to move on and Blake clearly isn't one of those.

I think you're being a bit harsh in phrasing, but the point is essentially correct. Blake has a hard time letting go of things. This would not be the first time that he's become so upset over something like that that he loses focus and, subsequently, the match. Blake apparently had plenty of chances to win earlier in the set (I didn't see the match) and it's not like this came on match point. Regardless, that's a real asshole move by Gonzalez and I hope he gets absolutely destroyed in the finals (and that Nadal rips a forehand at his head).

I think Blake's anger is a mixture of it being an asshole move, that Gonzalez seems like an asshole in general and mostly because he shit away the chance at gold/a guaranteed silver. Still, he's in a position to win a medal, a position that looked very unlikely at the beginning of the tournament.