Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Beach Volleyball (May/Walsh and a bunch of guys)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

#101 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2,397 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

Dalhausser is a manimal.

This Fabio guy makes for great TV. He's the perfect foreign foil in a gold medal Olympic match.

#102 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Sweep!

#103 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,863 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

That was absolutely brilliant. This has inspired me to become a beach volleyball player.

#104 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,879 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Rogers' girl looked like something nice.

#105 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2,397 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

That was absolutely brilliant. This has inspired me to become a beach volleyball player.

I totally agree. You need a playing partner? I'm 5'11", sunburn easily and you could barely fit a thick piece of toast under my feet when I jump. However, I have a ton of grit and a desire to win gold medals.

#106 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

By the way, I think it's very odd that, with the exception of the Olympics, I watch zero beach volleyball. Yet, for some reason, I know exactly who Karch Kiraly and Sinjin Smith are and think of their names anytime beach volleyball is mentioned.

I always think of Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos. I used to catch a match occasionally on some odd channel, but our cable stopped showing them just before Karch returned to the beach. When I watched, Smith and Stoklos were on a 3-year rampage of basically winning every tournament.

Unrelated note: Side-out scoring made for much more dramatic momentum swings. Tennis has always been a huge momentum game (from a spectator's view) to me, and sideout volleyball felt that way. Rally scoring is a lot less entertaining to watch, to me.

#107 CWiggum

• 1,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

Unrelated note: Side-out scoring made for much more dramatic momentum swings. Tennis has always been a huge momentum game (from a spectator's view) to me, and sideout volleyball felt that way. Rally scoring is a lot less entertaining to watch, to me.

I agree with this completely. I used to play a ton of volleyball back in the day, but haven't played or watched anything for years. I was shocked to see them doing rally scoring. They completely changed the sport to make the matches shorter and thus more able to be fit into 1 hour prime time TV slots. It sucks.

#108 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

While I agree that the sideout system is far more entertaining than rally format, I have to wonder how fatigued these guys would be if they were playing sideout.

Seemed to me that, even with the rally system, these guys were pretty damn tired at the end. Especially the big guys. I would have to think Sideout would add at least another 30-40 minutes to the game. Wouldn't they be absolutely wiped out by the end?

#109 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

While I agree that the sideout system is far more entertaining than rally format, I have to wonder how fatigued these guys would be if they were playing sideout.

Seemed to me that, even with the rally system, these guys were pretty damn tired at the end. Especially the big guys. I would have to think Sideout would add at least another 30-40 minutes to the game. Wouldn't they be absolutely wiped out by the end?

Maybe. Sideout sets were to 15 instead of 21, so that helps a bit. Presumably if they played them regularly, they'd be used to the longer matches.

#110 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

Not a volleyball veteran...but swear I remembered the sport being such that you only won the point when you are serving...is this something that used to be the norm, and is this what you guys are referring to as "sideout" vs "rally" scoring?

#111 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,032 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Not a volleyball veteran...but swear I remembered the sport being such that you only won the point when you are serving...is this something that used to be the norm, and is this what you guys are referring to as "sideout" vs "rally" scoring?

Yes, sideout scoring is when you only score if you won the point while serving.
Rally scoring is every point is counted.

In both systems, if you win the point you get the serve (which is usually an advantage in sideout and a disadvantage in rally).

Beach volleyball made the switch in 2000. I'm not sure when indoor volleyball changed, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 5 years earlier, maybe 10.

It's trading off more exciting matches for more time-certainty; sideout matches are like baseball/tennis and can go for a long time. Rally scoring matches rarely go much over an hour, so they're more TV-friendly.

Edited by SumnerH, 23 August 2008 - 02:10 PM.