Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Diving

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Can't believe there's a 14 year old - how young can these athletes be?

#2 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

Can't believe there's a 14 year old - how young can these athletes be?

For gymnastics you have to be 16, apparently that isn't the standard though.

#3 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

Synchro diving is pretty cool. I know nothing about it, though, because when I think a team's done well they get trashed, and when I think it's sloppy, they get a tongue bath.

#4 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

For gymnastics you have to be 16, apparently that isn't the standard though.

I wonder why they impose an age rule in one sport but not others.

Anyway, these guys need to eat something - they're all so skinny! Guess that makes them more efficient going in the water, but jeez...give 'em a sandwich or something...

#5 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

I think the governing body of each sport gets to determine whether or not to have any age restrictions.

The Chinese always clean house in these diving events - both men and women.

#6 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

I wonder why they impose an age rule in one sport but not others.

Anyway, these guys need to eat something - they're all so skinny! Guess that makes them more efficient going in the water, but jeez...give 'em a sandwich or something...

I looked like that when I was 16. Well, not as buff, but just as skinny.

#7 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

I don't know a whole about synchro diving either, but enough to watch it and guess the scores. I watch for the men though, and will totally admit this is to females what beach volleyball is to men.

Although, the men's beach volleyball is pretty eye-candy heavy too. Sigh

I love the Olympics

#8 Mr. Baseball

• 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Not sure if anyone else caught this but about 20 mins. ago, they fielded a 'question from the crowd' so to speak, which asked, "Why do the divers shower so quickly after diving?". The announcer responded: to warm up a little after getting out of the cold pool water, to relax/talk for a second...........and have to "have a little fun". :)

edit: typo

Edited by Mr. Baseball, 11 August 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#9 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

This has nothing on gymnastics, though.

I will confess to loving to watching Misty May-Treanor and Kellie Walsh just demolish their competition, though.

#10 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

These Neumy drop-ins are pretty strange.

#11 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Men's gymnastics would be better if they didn't wear shirts.

#12 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

More Chinese Gold. Sheesh.

#13 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1,937 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

Blake Aldridge has put the blame on partner Tom Daley after the British pair finished in last place in the 10m synchronised diving at the Olympics.

Aldridge, 26, and 14-year-old prodigy Daley were not expected to win a medal but put in a below-par performance.

"I didn't blow anything, so I can go home happy," said Aldridge.

"Unfortunately it's a partnership, you both have to be on the top of your game. I wasn't on top of my game but Tom was nowhere near the top of his."

"There was a little incident but it is an Olympic Games, you are in a different world and people are going to do things differently," he said.

"He had a pop at me before the last dive. I saw my mum in the audience and I asked her to give me a call and Tom went to me 'Why are you on the phone? We're still in the competition and we've got another dive to do.'

"That's just Thomas - he's over-nervous. Thomas should not be worrying about what I'm doing but he was worrying about everyone and everything and that to me is really the sole reason why he didn't perform."

"I knew we were capable of a medal but I knew it would depend on how Tom performed," said Aldridge.

"I wasn't on the top of my game, but I out-dived Thomas and that's not something that normally happens.

"That to me is because he had a lot more pressure on him than I did.

"It was hard work for me today. Tom was very nervous, more so than ever before. I think he really struggled to get through the competition.

Daley admitted he had felt nervous, but said both he and Aldridge were to blame.

"We just had a bad day," he said. "We didn't dive very well, it was quite disappointing.

"There was a lot of pressure on me and I was very nervous. But it's an experience which will be good for 2012."

BBC: Aldridge blames Daley for failure

Which one of them is the 14-year-old, again?

#14 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,326 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Not sure if anyone else caught this but about 20 mins. ago, they fielded a 'question from the crowd' so to speak, which asked, "Why do the divers shower so quickly after diving?". The announcer responded: to warm up a little after getting out of the cold pool water, to relax/talk for a second...........and have to "have a little fun". :barf:

Oh I definately caught that. Kinda hard to miss. I recall remarking to my brother and our friend my hope that that spot finds its way onto youtube ASAP.

I believe the actual wording was, "To warm up, stay loose (slight pause as she considers her next words) and to have fun."

:c070:

#15 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

(Mean alert)

One of the Canadian divers in the platform synchro is shockingly fat.

#16 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Chinese got screwed on that dive. They did everything the same and only had a little extra splash.

#17 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

The Chinese team is amazing.

#18 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'd like to see Mexico medal

#19 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

Wow, this diving lady announcer is really a bitch. I still hate the swimming guy more, but geez, fall off a cliff already.

Edited by Ahriman, 12 August 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#20 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I'd like to see Mexico medal

Looks like they will...and good for them...

#21 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Wow, this diving lady announcer is really a bitch. I still hate the swimming guy more, but geez, fall off a cliff already.

Oh gee, you thought it was bitchy when the fat canadian diver hit the water and the announcer said "whoa, it's a tidal wave?"

Okay, I'm sure she didn't mean it that way, but still, bitch.

#22 Frito Tankona

• 240 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

Cynthia Potter (the diving announcer) is an ongoing joke in the diving community. For years she whined and whined that people were crow hopping (double bouncing on back and inward takeoffs) and not being penalized for it. Everyone crow hops (on purpose in most cases so they can jump higher). She seems to have finally gotten the message that the judges just don't care. She's also wrong at least as often as Joe Morgan and patronizes the audience like Tim McCarver. She says stuff like "that dive is going to receive low scores because it was not a vertical entry" after some poor diver totally eats shit on a dive. No shit, Cynthia, bad scores for landing on your face?

Anyway, her comparison of the body types of the Chinese and Canadian divers was pretty poor.

#23 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

These Chinese divers on the platform are rail thin.

#24 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

I'm generally surprised when divers from that height create no splash but with 70 pound girls it's a given as long as they're close to vertical. I imagine it's a lot easier for girls that small to maintain a tight tuck.

#25 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,062 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

They're like 15-16.

I'm generally surprised when divers from that height create no splash but with 70 pound girls it's a given as long as they're close to vertical. I imagine it's a lot easier for girls that small to maintain a tight tuck.

Hey, I miss when you had Rondo as your avatar...it always gave me a nice chuckle.

#26 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hey, I miss when you had Rondo as your avatar...it always gave me a nice chuckle.

I have my in-season favorites, you can bet he'll be back in some form come November.

#27 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,062 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

I have my in-season favorites, you can bet he'll be back in some form come November.

I look forward to that.

#28 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 6,054 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

"And here's the call: 'That's good enough.'"

A call for the ages.

#29 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 6,054 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

Ishimatsu's sobs are heartbreaking.

#30 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

Ishimatsu's sobs are heartbreaking.

She's going to be a heart-breaker alright . . .

#31 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,319 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

The Chinese girl last night throwing the dive of the competition up on the very last dive of the event and scoring over 1000 to break the heart of the Canadian was really impressive.

Watching the men's tonight. This is just dull (to me), and for all the talk about how great the fans of diving are in China, and how much they love the sport. This venue is half empty for this semi-final heart.

I'm not sure why I like gymnastics, but can't watch diving? Maybe it's just the TV coverage is nowhere close to as good as it was for gymnastics.

#32 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1,937 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

At this point, I'm watching to see how that 14-year-old British diver does (very impressive that he made it to the finals) and if one of the Americans can grab a medal (I doubt it). I must say, though, it gave me inexplicable joy when one of the Chinese divers made a fairly large splash on a couple of occasions. I have yet to see them actually blow a dive, and it's infuriating.

#33 Frito Tankona

• 240 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

The Chinese girl last night throwing the dive of the competition up on the very last dive of the event and scoring over 1000 to break the heart of the Canadian was really impressive.

Watching the men's tonight. This is just dull (to me), and for all the talk about how great the fans of diving are in China, and how much they love the sport. This venue is half empty for this semi-final heart.

I'm not sure why I like gymnastics, but can't watch diving? Maybe it's just the TV coverage is nowhere close to as good as it was for gymnastics.

I'm sure it has something to do with the epic fail that is Cynthia Potter (diving commentator). Additionally, Olympic diving -- especially the springboards -- just isn't interesting right now; the Chinese dominate. However, the US has the infrastructure in place to reclaim a dominant presence. Switching to a central training center will help a lot.

Edited by Frito Tankona, 23 August 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#34 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

NO 8/8 for China!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Oy Oy Oy!

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 23 August 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#35 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

The 100 pound Chinese men completely choke on their final dives? Didn't see that coming.

#36 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,465 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

This Mitchum kid just had the dive of the Olympics....needed an ungodly 107.1 to pass China's diver who was about to win...he scored a 112....including 4 10's...

FWIW, no one else scored above 95 on the night, and this denied China the chance to sweep gold in diving.

Heck of a dive.

Edited by bsj, 23 August 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#37 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,319 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

This Mitchum kid just had the dive of the Olympics....needed an ungodly 107.1 to pass China's diver who was about to win...he scored a 112....including 4 10's...

FWIW, no one else scored above 95 on the night, and this denied China the chance to sweep gold in diving.

Heck of a dive.

Yup made 3 days of being tortured by non stop diving coverage worthwhile. (for better or worse I missed all the diving before thursday)

the choke job Zhou, followed by the outstanding performance from Mitchum. Definitely one of the highlights of the Olympics

#38 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,465 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

I would very much like to see China NOT crack 50 golds...