Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Swimming: 4x100 Meter Freestyle Relay - Hooray USA!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#101 DegenerateSoxFan

• 735 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

"A fingertip did the victory,"

That, and a 46.06 final split.

Their vaginas really are sore.

#102 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,574 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

I don't know, it seems like Jones did OK. He lost about a body length to the French guy in 100 meters, but the French dude is one of the world's best sprinters. It looked to me like Jones was the second best swimmer in the pool during the 3rd leg.

He was incredibly tired. It was odd to watch the three of them (when he finally made it over there) screaming and yelling and he is doubled over in pain. He's got a Gold, and he deserves it.

Yeah, I think Jones did as well as or better than the U.S. expected/needed. He was just about even at the 50 and a half-body length behind at the 100. Lezak made up about half of that on the start, but Bernard pulled away pretty quickly. He's just fucking fast. That Lezak was able to come from that far behind to beat him is stunning. The team knew going in that whomever they pulled from the B team would almost certainly end up being the slowest leg. I guess the strategy of throwing Jones out there on the third leg to try to hold the line and give Lezak a chance to win it was a good one.

Jones apparently had a 47.61 split in the prelims, but I don't know if that's what he swam during the finals. Still, from the International Herald Tribune:

At the U.S. Olympic trials in July, Lezak, Weber-Gale and Phelps posted sub-48 second swims, which until the Games had been matched this year by only two others: Bernard and Sullivan.

http://www.iht.com/a...s/OLYPHELPS.php

Jones doesn't have an individual race (he was third at trials, I think, in both the 50 free and 100 free), so this was his Olympics. He's trying to promote swimming in African-American/Black communities and he got just about the highest profile spot he could possibly get. It's unfortunate he was so wrecked he couldn't get back to cheer/celebrate/get in the picture with Phelps and Weber-Gale. I think the swimmers are supposed to get out at the ladder, I don't think he was slinking over there in shame.