Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Miscellaneous Olympic observations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#101 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

If you're a trained, world class Taekwondo athlete and you can't drop an untrained, unprepared, unprotected referee with one kick, you weren't going to win an Olympic Medal anyway. I like how it looks like the referee took the blow pretty well, and came back with his hands up, ready to fight.

Well, except that world class Taekwondo athlete already has a gold from 2000.

#102 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Whoops, the volleyball hasn't happened yet. Too many late nights - that njingles3 is an idiot.

Apparently, the wrestler who was stripped of his medal had a right to be upset...

link

edit: It doesn't look like anything specific with the match was illegitimate but rather the lack of any kind of appeals process.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 23 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#103 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

C'mon, Jacques, get to the important stuff like ripping Usain Bolt... What a fraud this guy is.

#104 LateRally

• 4,158 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

I would very much like to see China NOT crack 50 golds...

49 right now...i dont know if they have any events left they are expected to win in...

US is at 34...assuming hoops wins, they'll get 35...I called 36 golds before the start of the games...is there 1 more out there? Men's volleyball?

Come on man, how could you forget water polo? Sheesh.

#105 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,824 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Well, except that world class Taekwondo athlete already has a gold from 2000.

Yup - Matos is (was) a world-class TKD athlete. I gotta say as completely idiotic as it was, I thought he pulled his kick back. A guy that size, and at that level of TKD can pretty much knock a linebacker out with a well-placed roundhouse to the head, nevermind a referee.

#106 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,785 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

Yup - Matos is (was) a world-class TKD athlete. I gotta say as completely idiotic as it was, I thought he pulled his kick back.

That'll make for a great defense when he applies for reinstatement...