Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Miscellaneous Olympic observations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#1 Jinhocho

• SoSH Member

• 8,785 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

WTF is up with Bob Costas giving Bush a grilling on foreign policy - seems totally unappropriate given the Olympics and the nature of the interview.

#2 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,507 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

Since no one cares about George Bush, I will put this here. He seems pretty smart during this interview. May be because Bob Costas is sitting opposite him. However, seems pretty insightful about religion and about our need to stay tight with the Chinese.

Okay...rant over. Go USA. Back to sporting discussion.

#3 Sille Skrub

• 3,957 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Merging these two into their own thread for miscellaneous rants and the like.

#4 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42,671 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

WTF is up with Bob Costas giving Bush a grilling on foreign policy - seems totally unappropriate given the Olympics and the nature of the interview.

I was going to post the same thing but I didn't really no where to put it. I don't agree with Bush's politics, but he does seem like a genuinely good guy and he was there to enjoy the olympics. Let him be, Bob.

#5 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2,397 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

The way I viewed it, how many chances is Bob Costas going to have to do a 1-on-1 with Dubya. I thought he should have maybe included a one or two more softball olympic questions in there to lighten the mood but, overall, I thought it was pretty good and even though Bush came out of it looking pretty good in the end.

Probably could have left out the question our Darfur and replaced that with something else. I thought it was funny how Costas asked a pretty long involved question regarding PEDs and Marion Jones' clemency requestion and Bush completely ducked it and talked about the history of baseball.

#6 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,371 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

I'm finding it very interesting watching the Olympics this year. In years past, it always seemed as if the Olympics served as a distraction...a bridge if you will, between baseball and football. Round 'bout this time of year it always seemed as if the Red Sox were losing and I couldn't take it anymore. The Olympics would offer that respite from the depression of yet another season lost and I would immerse myself in this athletic competition. Of course, things worked out differently in 2004 than I'd expected during August. And because of that, I'm finding it somewhat different this year.

#7 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

Spitz is kind of douchey.

Spitz, once the star, upset over Beijing snub

18 hours ago

HONG KONG (AFP) US swim legend Mark Spitz won't be on hand in Beijing if Michael Phelps breaks his record of seven gold medals at a single Olympics -- because, he says, no one bothered to invite him.

Spitz said the International Olympic Committee, a US television network or FINA -- the international body that governs world swimming -- should have brought him to the Games this year, with Phelps making a go at his record.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am," Spitz told AFP in Hong Kong.

"I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost -- it is."

http://afp.google.co...HodVSMCWbP2WBdQ

#8 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

HONG KONG (AFP) US swim legend Mark Spitz won't be on hand in Beijing if Michael Phelps breaks his record of seven gold medals at a single Olympics -- because, he says, no one bothered to invite him.

I'm surprised he didn't spin it out to be that no one invited him to see Phelps break his mark because Phelps won't be breaking his mark. Who does he think he is, the '72 Dolphins?

Come to think of it, who "invites" THEM to every game of the last undefeated team left?

#9 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Here's a miscellaneous trivia question...you can figure this out in about 5 seconds by googling, so honor system...17 of 18 American medals thus far are from swimming or fencing. Can anyone guess what the other medal is from?

#10 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

EDIT

Shooting. I didn't see you list fencing so that's what I listed first.

Edited by DJnVa, 11 August 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#11 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Here's a miscellaneous trivia question...you can figure this out in about 5 seconds by googling, so honor system...17 of 18 American medals thus far are from swimming or fencing. Can anyone guess what the other medal is from?

Probably shooting or archery - those sports always seem to start early in the Games, and there are lots events in them.

#12 Guinevere

• 508 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

A bronze in women's trap shooting. Just watched the vid on-line before the swimming started.

#13 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Shit. I know this!
Hmmm, let's see. Fencing.

No shit, trap shooting?

edit again-I didn't see Fencing in the list the first time I read it either.

Edited by favreauk, 11 August 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#14 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

The answer IS

Shooting - Women's Trap

Sounds painful.

#15 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,362 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

A pet peeve of mine.

Medal count is done according to gold medals won, not overall medals. After all, a bronze is not as important as gold is it?

#16 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17,290 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

A pet peeve of mine.

Medal count is done according to gold medals won, not overall medals. After all, a bronze is not as important as gold is it?

I noticed that as well.

China leads in wins.

#17 Nick Kaufman

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

An Indian guy won the first gold medal for his country's olympic history in shooting.

Next mission? Have sex with half of the Indian female population. The good half.

#18 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

A pet peeve of mine.

A pet peeve of MINE; People and media get all wrapped up in "medal count" at all. This isn't a high school track meet where the team with the most points wins. Each event stands alone in the eyes of the IOC - which quite specifically didn't make it a overall team points deal...

#19 cutman1000

• 2,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:15 AM

A pet peeve of MINE; People and media get all wrapped up in "medal count" at all. This isn't a high school track meet where the team with the most points wins. Each event stands alone in the eyes of the IOC - which quite specifically didn't make it a overall team points deal...

Give me a break. If you lived in a country that won medals in the summer olympics you would feel differently. You can bet your ass that China and the U.S. are fighting hard to finish with the most gold medals.

#20 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:24 AM

I think it should be according to total medals....team A has 5 golds, and nothing else, team be has 4 golds, 6 silver, and 7 bronze...who had the better Olympics?

#21 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,633 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

It's pretty simple really.
Gold = 5
Silver = 3
Bronze = 1
Add 'em up and there's your "winner".

Edited by The Napkin, 12 August 2008 - 10:45 AM.

#22 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,616 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

I don't agree with Bush's politics, but he does seem like a genuinely good guy

Nicest waterboarding torturer ever.

#23 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Give me a break. If you lived in a country that won medals in the summer olympics you would feel differently. You can bet your ass that China and the U.S. are fighting hard to finish with the most gold medals.

It's got nothing to do with where I live. I am an American living in Canada - and frankly, nationality isn't that important to me when choosing which athletes I like. I'm just sharing the fact that the "medal count" is 100% a creation of the media, and isn't, in fact a REAL category in the Games. I can also assure you that the athletes on each respective team are not really worked up about the medal count. They're extremely self-focused on their own events.

You may hear a sound bite here and there about the honor of representing one's country (usually from a pro in a team sport where this sort of thing is a novelty) - but don't be misled, those individual athletes are there representing themselves first and foremost.

#24 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,507 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Merging these two into their own thread for miscellaneous rants and the like.

Thanks Skrub...now I don't feel like such a moron :c070:

#25 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,649 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

It's pretty simple really.
Gold = 5
Silver = 3
Bronze = 1
Add 'em up and there's your "winner".

The Napkins brings us the right answer.

In bsj's example, Team B wins that battle. But when the total medal count is going to be close, like it is with the US and China, the most golds is a good tiebreaker overall.

#26 Nick Kaufman

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

Look, it's not a big deal to me either, but I saw NBC do it last night -and it's been doing it for years. It's wrong. This is not how the IOC does it:

http://www.olympic.o...e...1&OLGY=2004

The medal tables by country are based on the number of medals won, with gold medals taking priority over silver and bronze. A team victory counts as one medal.

Edited by Nick Kaufman, 12 August 2008 - 12:00 PM.

#27 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

The Napkins brings us the right answer.

In bsj's example, Team B wins that battle. But when the total medal count is going to be close, like it is with the US and China, the most golds is a good tiebreaker overall.

I read somewhere yesterday that the "official" winner is the team with the most golds.

#28 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,633 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

I read somewhere yesterday that the "official" winner is the team with the most golds.

Which is why China launched Project 119.

#29 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:24 PM

There is no OFFICIAL winner. Individual countries' Olympic Committes, media, fans etc.. can make up whatever system that best suits their needs, but the IOC does not track or award this thing that way. Bear this in mind - not only is the whole thing contrary to the IOC philosophy on Olympism (which IOC themselves constantly contradicts in other ways, but that's a different post for a different day), there's no real way to weigh medals won in sports where there are tons of events (i.e. swimming) versus medals won in sports with one or two events (i.e. soccer). No matter how you slice it, it would be an arbitrary ranking.

On the subject of Olympic Committees in certain countries and the medal count - there are lots of liberties taken to spin this. I've heard of nations that "count" each team member's medal (in sports like soccer or baseball) as a medal if that helped them meet certain quotas with their government, for instance. The GDR was particularly driven by medal counting, specifically focusing on less participated in sports and avoiding team sports.

Some nations count down to 8th place, or 10th place when reporting back to their governments...and the IOC actually awards a diploma to the top 8 in each event - which I'm sure is going to get belittled in this forum, but I know if I had a 7th place Olympic diploma hanging on my wall, I'd think that was pretty cool.

#30 Nick Kaufman

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

Some nations count down to 8th place, or 10th place when reporting back to their governments...and the IOC actually awards a diploma to the top 8 in each event - which I'm sure is going to get belittled in this forum, but I know if I had a 7th place Olympic diploma hanging on my wall, I'd think that was pretty cool.

I thought it was up to 6th, but yeah. If you finish top 8 or top 6 re called an olympic victor or winner something like that.

#31 Guinevere

• 508 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

Let's read the full quote from the IOC please, to get the complete contex:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognise global ranking per country; the medal tables are displayed for information only.

Furthermore, the results that we publish are official and are taken from the "Official Report" - a document published for each Olympic Games by the Organising Committee. However, for the first Olympic Games (until Antwerp in 1920), it is difficult to give the exact number of medals awarded to some countries, due to the fact that teams were composed of athletes from different countries.

The medal tables by country are based on the number of medals won, with gold medals taking priority over silver and bronze. A team victory counts as one medal.

Which means total number of medals counts in the "unofficial yet official list," each medal is counted equally, and when there is a tie in total number of medals the country which has more golds is listed in a higher position.

#32 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

There is no OFFICIAL winner.

Which is why I put it in quotation marks. But among whatever top-level Chinese care about this stuff, they would prefer more golds to more total medals.

The IOC can hand out as many "Participant" ribbons as they like, and yes, finishing even 10th in the world is amazing, but some people do keep score, whether the IOC says they are official or not, and to those people, it's gold medals that count, because that is the one true "winner".

Here's the all-time medal count, winter and summer: http://en.wikipedia....mes_medal_count

Edited by DJnVa, 12 August 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#33 Nick Kaufman

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Which means total number of medals counts in the "unofficial yet official list," each medal is counted equally, and when there is a tie in total number of medals the country which has more golds is listed in a higher position

How do you deduce that? IOC doesn't recognize a national winner, but the guideline for official lists is to count according to gold medals.

I don't think that

can get any more explicit.

And look at how their actual table is arranged. Is it according to total medals or gold medals?

#34 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Well, here's the OFFICIAL site of the Beijing Olympics.

Note how the medal count is ordered:
http://results.beiji...GL0000000.shtml

China listed first due to more golds than the US, despite 2 fewer overall medals. Germany is ranked ahead of Italy as well. Heck, France is listed below Thailand, despite the fact that they have 9x as many total medals.

And yes, the official site says "RANK"

Edited by DJnVa, 12 August 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#35 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Well, here's the OFFICIAL site of the Beijing Olympics.

Note how the medal count is ordered:
http://results.beiji...GL0000000.shtml
China listed first due to more golds than the US, despite 2 fewer overall medals. Germany is ranked ahead of Italy as well. Heck, France is listed below Thailand, despite the fact that they have 9x as many total medals.

And yes, the official site says "RANK"

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

#36 Mr Weebles

• swabbie bastard

• 15,603 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

I know if I had a 7th place Olympic diploma hanging on my wall, I'd think that was pretty cool.

I've read your posts.

You'd probably be happy with a GED with your name on it hanging on your wall.

#37 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

That is still the official site of the Olympic Games. You get there by going to the IOC's website--that's where it links you.

#38 Guinevere

• 508 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

How do you deduce that? IOC doesn't recognize a national winner, but the guideline for official lists is to count according to gold medals.

I don't think that

can get any more explicit.

And look at how their actual table is arranged. Is it according to total medals or gold medals?

Ok, ok, my fuzzy vacation-deprived brain sees it now. Based on the Beijing "count" linked above, Czech Republic has 2 golds, but are "ranked" ahead of PRKorea, which has 7 total medals but only 1 gold.

#39 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,507 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

Steeve Guenot (no typo, two e's in "Steeve"), of France just won gold in the 66 kilo weight class for Greco-Roman wrestling. This was France's first gold in G-R Wrestling since 1924, and their second Gold in Wrestling since 1936.
I thoroughly hate the French, despite being French Canadian, and I also hate irony. However, I think it was pretty cool for this guy to end that drought.

#40 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

The French beat someone in a fight?

Stop.

#41 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

The French beat someone in a fight?

Stop.

Nice.

Georgia beats Russia in the judo semi; Georgia goes on to win gold.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3532767

#42 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Nice.

Georgia beats Russia in the judo semi; Georgia goes on to win gold.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3532767

That must have felt SO fucking good...

#43 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

It would have been awesome if the dude from Georgia had family die in the Russian invasion and then just fucking KILLED his Russian opponent.

"My God!!! What is he doing? He's...he's....he's...he's pulled out the Russian's heart!!!! And he's EATING it!!!!"

#44 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,700 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

It would have been awesome if the dude from Georgia had family die in the Russian invasion and then just fucking KILLED his Russian opponent.

"My God!!! What is he doing? He's...he's....he's...he's pulled out the Russian's heart!!!! And he's EATING it!!!!"

Not quite as much intensity at the Russia v. Georgia ladies beach volleyball - seems the "Georgian" women are Brazillian, and have been in Georgia twice, probably once to apply for citizenship and again to pick up their passports, funding and Olympic bikinis.

#45 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Take Your Bronze Medal And Shove It

#46 jkempa

• 4,955 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

Take Your Bronze Medal And Shove It

Did anyone see what actually happened here? I've read it was a controversial decision, but I have no idea why it was.

#47 Nick Kaufman

• 8,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Either a supreme asshole or he was robbed beyond belief. Either way gutsy move.

#48 LahoudOrBillyC

• Indian name is Massages Ellsbury

• 3,855 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

The Americans also never accepted their silver medals in 1972 basketball. They are apparently still sitting in some vault somewhere.

#49 favreauk

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

BEIJING -- The Sydney Olympics ran out. Athens doubled the number. So organisers of the Beijing Games are hoping 100,000 condoms will satisfy the needs of Olympic athletes.

While sex is not an Olympic sport it is expected to be an activity in the Beijing village housing 10,500 athletes, all of whom are in great shape and with plenty of free time on their hands once knocked out of the Games.

Athletes have received free condoms at every Olympics since Barcelona in 1992 to help raise awareness of AIDS, and Beijing is no exception.

"There are many young, strong, single people in the athletes' village and, like everywhere, some will fall in love or other things so we need to make condoms available,'' Ole Hansen, spokesman for UNAIDS China, told Reuters.

http://www.canada.co...e3-04dd854e5bcd

#50 baghdadjamie

• resident manwhore

• 3,696 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

I don't know where Kristine got this but she sent it to my email.

Check out Phelp's diet.

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless over eater rather than an Olympian.
Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.
At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.
He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

He breaks a lot of toilets.