Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2008 Team USA Football

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 ElUno20

• 1,467 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

Dutch up on a Babel rebound effort from his own shot. I would say the marking was terrible but that would imply there was any. So far Adu with a pretty good run but a two cent finish.

Update: Klejstan ties it up after a nice return touch from Freddy. We're back in business.

Edited by ElUno20, 10 August 2008 - 08:07 AM.

#2 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

The US men's team let a golden opportunity slip through their hands today. They had a 2-1 lead with about 2 minutes to play and committed a silly foul, allowing the dirty Dutch to score on a free kick. A win would have sent them through to the quarters with a game remaining in pool play. Now the US may need a good result against Nigeria and Freddy Adu and Michael Bradley are both out due to yellow cards. In Bradley's case, it came towards the end of the game in what the announcers said was likely deliberate---get a yellow now, sit out a meaningless game and be ready for the quarters. You'd think US Soccer would know by know not to count the result as a win until the final whistle.

As an aside, are the soccer announcers not actually at the game---I swear he said something about them coming to you from the NBC Broadcast Center in NY.

#3 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,376 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

The US men's team let a golden opportunity slip through their hands today. They had a 2-1 lead with about 2 minutes to play and committed a silly foul, allowing the dirty Dutch to score on a free kick. A win would have sent them through to the quarters with a game remaining in pool play. Now the US may need a good result against Nigeria and Freddy Adu and Michael Bradley are both out due to yellow cards. In Bradley's case, it came towards the end of the game in what the announcers said was likely deliberate---get a yellow now, sit out a meaningless game and be ready for the quarters. You'd think US Soccer would know by know not to count the result as a win until the final whistle.
As an aside, are the soccer announcers not actually at the game---I swear he said something about them coming to you from the NBC Broadcast Center in NY.

They are doing it remote, and after some criticism of ESPN for doing the same but implying they were at the actual venue, I suspect they are going out of their way to let viewers know they are remote.

The 10 events (out of 34) that NBC will cover remotely are archery, badminton, baseball, equestrian, fencing, handball, shooting, soccer, softball and tennis. Some basketball games also will be called off monitors in New York.

Walker said that NBC had done "a little bit" of remote event coverage for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin.

He said the network had not intended to announce its remote Beijing plan but also had not attempted to hide it from the public.

An official from a competing network called NBC's plan "stunning," although it is certainly not unprecedented.

Awful Announcing

#4 Main Ingredient

• 259 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

In Bradley's case, it came towards the end of the game in what the announcers said was likely deliberate---get a yellow now, sit out a meaningless game and be ready for the quarters. You'd think US Soccer would know by know not to count the result as a win until the final whistle.

As Balboa was talking about this I got a sick feeling in my stomach. That was asinine, and horribly frustrating. We played so well, could have even had more goals if not for some great efforts by Vermeer in net for the Dutch. Just a terrible job by Holden at the end there - the stupid challenge as well as blowing a breakaway chance. God almighty that was frustrating. It's tough to concentrate on the positives when thinking about how tough the next match will be w/o Freddy (best player on the pitch today) and M. Bradley. Shit.

Edited by Main Ingredient, 10 August 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#5 allaboutthesox

• 2,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

As Balboa was talking about this I got a sick feeling in my stomach. That was asinine, and horribly frustrating. We played so well, could have even had more goals if not for some great efforts by Vermeer in net for the Dutch. Just a terrible job by Holden at the end there - the stupid challenge as well as blowing a breakaway chance. God almighty that was frustrating. It's tough to concentrate on the positives when thinking about how tough the next match will be w/o Freddy (best player on the pitch today) and M. Bradley. Shit.

It will be interesting to see how the midfield shapes up with both Bradley and Adu out of Wednesdays game versus Nigeria. One thing I did notice in the Nigeria game versus Japan is that Nigeria has a tendency to give space and not pressure the ball too much. Which, should be of some benefit to the US as I am not sure there is another midfielder outside of Adu and Bradley that can handle much pressure on the ball.

A real stupid foul by Holden at the end there. Just terrible.

#6 mic99

• 415 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

They are showing a tape of Italy-Korea right now

Italy's first goal

Giuseppe Rossi

born and raised in NJ

#7 Main Ingredient

• 259 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

we need positive vibes... let's get to the QF baby...

w/ Adu and Bradley out, what adjustments will Nowak make?

Clearly more time for Benny is in order. Should mean more time for Jozy one way or another (although supposedly he is still a little bothered by the ankle injry).
Perhaps Mo Edu will be used a tad differently; maybe he slides up to his old D-mid position? Doubtful, but we will see.

I would really enjoy it if I didn't have to see any Robbie Rogers during this match (he has shown me NOTHING, gives up possession way too easily, not a fan), but thats wishful thinking. Step your fucking game up Robbie.

Brian McBride - show them how its done.

Stuart Holden, be smart please

#8 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8,325 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

I've been searching on NBC.com, but haven't been able to figure out when this is televised here in EST or what channel it's on.

Anyone have any idea when/where the USA-Nigeria game is on?

#9 mic99

• 415 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

http://ussoccer.com/...sp_8552449.html

#10 Main Ingredient

• 259 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

That was not what I woke up at 5 to see... damn

Orozco, terrible job picking up a red in the 3rd minute and forcing us to play with 10 men for the entire game... that on top of Adu and Bradley being out was just too much

that being said, I don't think you could ask for more from our boys considering the circumstances of this game... great effort with a few chances to equalize near the end (amazing free kick opp with Davies' header hitting the fucking crossbar, wow)

would have been nice if Japan pulled out a draw with the Dutch, but nobody really thought that would happen - still can't believe the way our game against the Dutch ended up going, my god

really wanted to see us reach the knockout stages, our group was tough, but it was ours for the taking

either way, the future is bright for US Soccer

edit: Titans told me it was Davies' header, not Benny's - was too upset to think about it... thanks for the correction

Edited by Main Ingredient, 13 August 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#11 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,102 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

That was not what I woke up at 5 to see... damn
Orozco, terrible job picking up a red in the 3rd minute and forcing us to play with 10 men for the entire game... that on top of Adu and Bradley being out was just too much

that being said, I don't think you could ask for more from our boys considering the circumstances of this game... great effort with a few chances to equalize near the end (amazing free kick opp with Benny's header hitting the fucking crossbar, wow)

would have been nice if Japan pulled out a draw with the Dutch, but nobody really thought that would happen - still can't believe the way our game against the Dutch ended up going, my god
really wanted to see us reach the knockout stages, our group was tough, but it was ours for the taking

either way, the future is bright for US Soccer

Agree, this really really really sucked, but it bodes well for the future.

It was (ex-BC Eagle) Charlie Davies' header, not Feilhaber's that hit the crossbar.

The international game is cruel. Luck and cruel fate have a hand in things and the US got 4 points when they were so, so close to 7 or 9. I am proud of our boys and I am looking forward to seeing many of these guys contribute to WCQ.

#12 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,329 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

They did play their guts out. Early red card just too much to over come. Very entertaining game as Nigeria (inexplicably) kept attacking despite the 2-0 lead.