Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Random sports nobody cares about game thread - Now Date Free!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 javaisfun

• took the wrong girl to the prom

• 560 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Cycling - I'm looking forward to this race, I love cycling. Do Zabriskie, Leipheimer or Hincapie have a chance?

Fencing - Least impressive sport ever, but we won at it. Why did the girls scream, you're in a freaking steel beekeeper suit!

Rowing - Why does the US suck at this? That a was pitiful performance from the 2 man team.

And more, coming up on NBC!

Edit: Is anybody going to watch field hockey or team handball today on MSNBC?

Edited by javaisfun, 11 August 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#2 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17253 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

How you doin'?

Posted Image

#3 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5920 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

I can't believe some of these olympic events are actually olympic events. The slogan for beach volleyball should be: "Beach volleyball ... it's something to do." Or, for the male viewer: "Beach volleyball ... it's something to jerk off to."

#4 javaisfun

• 560 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

OK, really, Rogers and Dalhouser don't look good. They suck, they're being beaten by Latvians who barely qualified.

#5 javaisfun

• 560 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

The Latvians are entertaining, though. One guy dropped to his knees and bowed to his teammate.

#6 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

"Hi, I'm Sada Jasobson. I went to Yale for undergrad, and I'm a two-time Olympic medalist in Fencing, and received a handkerchief from a former President."

Law school is intimidating enough, but having her as a classmate as well . . .

tims4wins: any gossip you can provide in September would be great!

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 09 August 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#7 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3626 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:49 PM

"Hi, I'm Sada Jasobson. I went to Yale for undergrad, and I'm a two-time Olympic medalist in Fencing, and received a handkerchief from a former President."

If they called fencing "sword fighting" it would be more intersting.

That said, there's no such thing as a "sport nobody cares about". Badminton? Sure, it's lawn entertainment to us in North America - but HUGE in other places. same for things like Team Handball, or Archery. I can say one thing, ANYONE who wins an Olympic Gold Medal at ANYTHING, is a total bad-ass in my book!

#8 Archer1979

• shazowies

• 3090 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm not sure if anyone is watching the Women's bicycling, but one of the South Koreans just got tripped up into the gutter about a mile or two before the Great Wall. I didn't realize it but China's gutters are about two/three feet lower than the rest of the street.

She didn't get back up too quick.

#9 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

Beach volleyball in a downpour?

#10 ilya678

• 125 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

With a side of lightning strikes

#11 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17253 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

The President is a fan:

Posted Image

Edited by DJnVa, 10 August 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#12 mascho

• SoSH Member

• 14083 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

I watched some shooting today. Men's trap final.

Quite possibly the first time I've ever watched that....some guy from Croatia won. Kudos to him...

#13 mic99

• 415 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

anyone watching the badminton? Think that is how you spell it.

crowd is going nuts

#14 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41826 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Damn, the girl from Winchester messed up on the floor. No inidividual medal for her. One of the other team members also got injured, so the US is in trouble.

#15 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18127 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

That was one thing that amazed me back in 96. They would play Beach Volleyball in the rain, but at the same time would stop Water Polo matches at the slightest drizzle.

Made no sense to me

#16 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13447 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

is anyone watching anything on nbcolympics.com? This is awesome. I just finished watching a bunch of epee and am now watching Italy-Malaysia archery. Good stuff.

#17 Crespo Augustus

• 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

is anyone watching anything on nbcolympics.com? This is awesome. I just finished watching a bunch of epee and am now watching Italy-Malaysia archery. Good stuff.

I've been getting up at 2am to watch the rowing live. NBC has done a great job providing coverage of all events.

#18 cannonball 1729

• 1936 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:40 PM

Amen to that. Especially with the USA and CNBC networks dominated by basketball, soccer, volleyball, and boxing (all of which I can watch anytime), the online thing is awesome; you can watch the real, original olympic sports like weightlifting, fencing, and archery that they never actually show on TV.

Edit: Incidentally, this Russia-China archery match has a chance to be a huge upset. China just caught fire....

Edited by cannonball 1729, 10 August 2008 - 11:45 PM.

#19 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11301 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

I watched a bit of this fucking girls fencing. Such a stupid sport. They run at each other and jab the "knife" hoping for a hit. Its impossible to understand whats happening in real time. THIS is what I was expecting:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#20 Stuart Scott's Lazy Eye

• Sad Sack

• 1655 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:29 AM

love it. love watching it without commentary too. It's different and it's great to just take in the sounds of the event sometimes.

Great job by NBC on this.

#21 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

I caught the Womens Team Archery final last night - S. Korea beat China. It was pretty cool. There was a bit of commentary from the PA guy and I learned that the Korean women have won every single gold medal in the team event since it's inception in 1984 (I think that's the correct year). Anyway, lots of Koreans in the stands going back and forth with the Chinese supporters. Seemed like a pretty intense atmosphere. Some Chinese person get blowing a whistle right as each Korean woman was about to let an arrow go, but they weren't phased in the slightest.

Edited by Ahriman, 11 August 2008 - 02:15 AM.

#22 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

I bet they won to honor their villages that burned down.

#23 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37938 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

Men's field hockey is on USA right now. Pakistan vs Great Britain.

A lot of banging and some heavy contact, but there's something about grown men bending over while flailing with those little J-shaped sticks that makes them look like pussies.

#24 Catcher Block

• 1114 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

Men's field hockey is on USA right now. Pakistan vs Great Britain.

A lot of banging and some heavy contact, but there's something about grown men bending over while flailing with those little J-shaped sticks that makes them look like pussies.

Except for the part where one of the Great Britain defenders gave a Pakistani attacker a stick across the back, and almost guided his head into a slap shot.

Compared to the high school field hockey where it's slow, tentative, and there's a whistle every 5 seconds, I'm enjoying watching these guys throw checks and get the ball off the ground for more than a foot at a time.

#25 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16336 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

Except for the part where one of the Great Britain defenders gave a Pakistani attacker a stick across the back, and almost guided his head into a slap shot.

Compared to the high school field hockey where it's slow, tentative, and there's a whistle every 5 seconds, I'm enjoying watching these guys throw checks and get the ball off the ground for more than a foot at a time.

Yeah, I watched it while at work and I enjoyed it. And it's all that check throwing and ball off the ground stuff, but it's field hockey and it's being played by men. Verdict: pussies

#26 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

If you get a chance to watch the Australian womens field hockey team, please do so. You won't be disappointed.

#27 Tokyo Sox

• Baka Gaijin

• 2617 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

It's a sport people care about but I don't think anyone is watching the game...China beating Spain by 9 at the half in men's hoops action, 46-37! China seems to be moving the ball well, leading to some easy dunks and some open shots.

Rare that I'll be rooting for China in anything, but I'd love to see them hang on in this one...