Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Best name in the Olympics (Volleyball thread)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 tonyandpals

• 3380 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

My wife played in HS and college so she's glued to women's volleyball action. The US team is pretty easy to look at too.

Best name by far, Yoshie Takeshita from Japan

Posted Image
http://en.wikipedia....oshie_Takeshita

#2 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

I guess this is volleyball related as much as anything else, but the father-in-law of the men's volleyball coach (and father of a girl on the '04 team) was stabbed to death yesterday. Appears to be a random attack. The attacker jumped to his death immediately after. This guy could be Jim Boeheim's long-lost brother.

Link

Todd and Barbara Bachman of Lakeville, Minn.—parents of 2004 volleyball Olympian Elisabeth “Wiz” Bachman and in-laws of U.S. men’s volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon—were attacked by a Chinese man while visiting the 13th-century Drum Tower on Saturday. The assault came hours after the games’ spectacular opening ceremony.

The U.S. Olympic Committee confirmed Bachman died from knife wounds and Barbara Bachman suffered life-threatening injuries. She and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured in the attack, were being treated in a Beijing hospital.

The committee said Sunday that Mrs. Bachman suffered multiple lacerations and stab wounds. She underwent eight hours of surgery and was in critical but stable condition.

#3 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6057 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

This Cuban team is fucking scary. They're so efficient and can absolutely crush the ball. Those girls are braver than me to stand in there.

#4 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18154 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

This Cuban team is fucking scary. They're so efficient and can absolutely crush the ball. Those girls are braver than me to stand in there.

Pretty shocking results for far getting deep into the second set here against Cuba, won the first set, and are dominating the second

#5 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6057 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

I have no idea what happened to Cuba. The US girls could barely compete the first time they met.

#6 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6057 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

Wow, huge upset. Cuba had only lost 3 sets total the whole tournament. That match point was ridiculous. US going for the gold!

#7 Ananti

• little debbie downer

• 2075 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

Unfricking believable, based on what happened in the first match I didn't think they had a chance to win this one, and they completely dominated.

#8 Ananti

• little debbie downer

• 2075 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:20 AM

Tremendous match in the men's semi-finals between USA and Russia, USA took the first 2 sets and Russians stormed back winning the next 2, USA wins the 5th set 15-13.

#9 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

Thanks, NBC, for skipping the entire 1st set, 3/4 of the 2nd set, and 1/2 of the 3rd set of the Gold Medal match. :)

#10 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9755 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'm thrilled NBC gives us many more hours of coverage on MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Oxygen and Telemundo. However, their coverage has a lot of room for improvement. It's a shame to shred up the Gold medal game like this. I think they showed 90 to 95% of the Water Polo gold medal game in the afternoon.

#11 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

I think they showed 90 to 95% of the Water Polo gold medal game in the afternoon.

Well that's because water polo >>>>>> volleyball. That's a man's sport. :)

#12 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'm thrilled NBC gives us many more hours of coverage on MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Oxygen and Telemundo. However, their coverage has a lot of room for improvement. It's a shame to shred up the Gold medal game like this. I think they showed 90 to 95% of the Water Polo gold medal game in the afternoon.

They showed all (or virtually all) of the Russia-Italy bronze medal match that was so interesting that the Italian coach barely showed up for . . .

Yeah, I'm thrilled that they showed Handball, Water Polo, and Field Hockey this year, like nowhere close to before, but there's indeed room for important.

Great result for the McCutcheon family, I really like this team, very easy to root for, even if you don't include the tragedy.

#13 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

Thanks, NBC, for skipping the entire 1st set, 3/4 of the 2nd set, and 1/2 of the 3rd set of the Gold Medal match. :)

Even the online "encore" is missing the first 40 points of the 1st set.