Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The 2008 Beijing Olympics: Swimming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
446 replies to this topic

#1 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

I think sport based threads make more sense than day based threads, personally....so here goes...

I'll let someone else start the gymnastics thread....swimming is by a long shot my favorite summer Olympics event. I gotta like Phelps chances at sweeping gold this time around....and can Dara Torres continue her amazing story? Here is the schedule for swimming:

http://results.beiji...hedule/SW.shtml

In a nutshell, the swimming events kick off on Saturday and run through Sunday, August 17t....with a couple of extra long distance events on August 20th.

Posted Image

Edited by bsj, 08 August 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#2 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Phelps cruised in the 400 IM prelims. He's a fucking animal.

#3 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21594 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, but the color guy is fucking annoying. "WHY DIDN'T PHELPS TAKE IT EASY. HE MIGHT GET TIRED."

Most of the time I wish the announcers would simply shut the fuck up.

#4 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, but the color guy is fucking annoying. "WHY DIDN'T PHELPS TAKE IT EASY. HE MIGHT GET TIRED."

Most of the time I wish the announcers would simply shut the fuck up.

Seriously. Phelps DID take it easy, at least for the last leg. He knew where he was at and wisely held some back for later. We're seeing some history with this guy, we may as well just tune out the TV folks. I know, easier said than done.

When he and Lochte go head to head in the finals, I think he goes a sub 4:05 for sure. Maybe they both do.

Edited by DegenerateSoxFan, 09 August 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#5 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Here are the events coming up:

10 Men's 400m Individual Medley -- Final

10 Women's 100m Butterfly -- Semifinals

10 Men's 400m Freestyle -- Final

10 Women's 400m Individual Medley -- Final

11 Men's 100m Breaststroke -- Semifinals

11 Women's 4x100m Freestyle Relay Finals

#6 cutman1000

• 2927 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

This is intense.

#7 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

Michael Phelps DESTROYS the WR for Gold #1. Wow, total domination.

#8 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16287 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

His mom is fucking annoying.

#9 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

His mom is fucking annoying.

It's a toss-up between her, the color commentator and Kramer. Where the heck is Neumy?

Edited by Ahriman, 09 August 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#10 ent5

• 1598 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

and of course NBC has yet to show the race in the mountain time zone

Fuck you NBC!

#11 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Phelps is only 23. If everything goes well, he could be looking at 15-20 Gold medals by the time he retires.

Edited by shawnrbu, 09 August 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#12 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

That was pretty awesome.

#13 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

4:03.84

Un-fucking-believable.

#14 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

What were they saying about swimming in 4 years, there is going to be less events?

#15 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

What were they saying about swimming in 4 years, there is going to be less events?

I thought the announcers said the schedule would be more condensed, thus making it far less practical for a swimmer like Phelps to swim in all these races.

#16 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Thanks China.

#17 UFSoxFan9

• 171 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

Horrendous job by the Chinese.

#18 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6059 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Like that wasn't intentional.

#19 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

That Hoff girl has shoulders like Ray Lewis.

Italian girl in Lane 3 has some beauty.

Edited by shawnrbu, 09 August 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#20 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8271 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

they were probably playing a pirated CD -- quality sometimes lacks.

#21 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17253 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Like that wasn't intentional.

Ehh? I wasn't able to watch. What happened?

#22 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Rice destroys the world record as well.

#23 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ehh? I wasn't able to watch. What happened?

The U.S. national anthem was cutoff towards the end with Phelps on the podium.

Are the announcers going to explain to the laymen why all these WR's are being set or are they going to act like they are amazed?

#24 CJChap

• 876 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

Are the announcers going to explain to the laymen why all these WR's are being set or are they going to act like they are amazed?

Why don't you go ahead and explain for us?

#25 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

I wouldn't kick that Aussie Rice out of bed. Stellar swim by her too.

Edited by DegenerateSoxFan, 09 August 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#26 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rice is perfect

Edited by SoxScout, 09 August 2008 - 10:03 PM.

#27 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Take a good-looking chick and have her train as a competitive swimmer...mmm, mmm mmm!

#28 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Why don't you go ahead and explain for us?

Speedo designed a new state-of-the-art suit (LZR) that has had amazing results. A high number of World Records have been broken since the suit was introduced in the last year. The suit is supposed to create less drag and has reduced swimmer's times. I've read comments by swimmers saying it feels like they are wearing nothing at all in the pool.

#29 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

I wouldn't kick that Aussie Rice out of bed. Stellar swim by her too.

She could bite through an apple with those choppers. She's still hot though.

#30 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Speedo designed a new state-of-the-art suit (LZR) that has had amazing results. A high number of World Records have been broken since the suit was introduced in the last year. The suit is supposed to create less drag and has reduced swimmer's times. I've read comments by swimmers saying it feels like they are wearing nothing at all in the pool.

That, and the fact that, like track & field, the olympics are the world series/super bowl for swimmers. These kids are leaving it all in the pool.

#31 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38323 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

The US takes the Silver in the 400-m freestyle relay. They were out of contention until Dara Torres pulled off a pretty kick-ass anchor leg.

#32 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

Except for Phelps, somewhat of a disappointing day at the pool for the Americans. Don't mind getting beat by the Australians (who have 21,000 miles of coastline), but getting beat by the Koreans, Zimbabweans, Chinese, Hungarians, and the Dutch (even if they may have been favored here) is a bit disappointing.

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 09 August 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#33 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Except for Phelps, somewhat of a disappointing day at the pool for the Americans. Don't mind getting beat by the Australians (the country whose greatest percentage of residents live within 20 miles of a body of water), but getting beat by the Koreans, Zimbabweans, Chinese, Hungarians, and the Dutch (even if they may have been favored here) is a bit disappointing.

Really, this is why Phelps' exploits are so much more impressive than Spitz's. The rest of the world has gotten a lot better since 1972.

#34 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

That first US swimmer in the relay was dominating and then fell apart her last 10 seconds in the water. What a letdown.

#35 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3696 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

Phelps is only 23. If everything goes well, he could be looking at 15-20 Gold medals by the time he retires.

Or he could win a pile now, and never race again. He's already a year older then Eric Heiden was when he stopped.

Edited by Fred not Lynn, 09 August 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#36 sox4ever

• 133 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

The man is the greatest swimmer of all time hands down. Coming from someone who used to swim and knows how tough it is to do what he is doing. I have all the confidence in the world he will win all 5 of his individual events and I bet you he will set world records in all 5 individual. Spits won 4 individual...just goes to show that Phelps will one up him in the individual column.

The guys is the greatest swimmer simply put especially in the big races and if today is any inclination of what his week and half will be then we will truly witness the greatest swimming spectacle and I believe with Rowdy Gaines that this will be the single greatest achievement in all of sports if it is accomplished.

Superman is in the water cube and we will all get to see his greatness truly dominate his sport. Forget Federer and even Tiger. No one dominates like Phelps....no one. The man has not lost the 200 butterfly in over 7 years. True dominance.

#37 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3696 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

The guys is the greatest swimmer simply put especially in the big races and if today is any inclination of what his week and half will be then we will truly witness the greatest swimming spectacle and I believe with Rowdy Gaines that this will be the single greatest achievement in all of sports if it is accomplished.

Unless the answer to the question, "How many Olympic gold medals did Phelps win in 2008" is "All of them", Heiden in 1980 > Phelps in 2008.

Really, this is why Phelps' exploits are so much more impressive than Spitz's. The rest of the world has gotten a lot better since 1972.

Do bear in mind that Spitz had to deal with multiple eastern bloc state-sponsored sports systems, which weren't shy about using doping and other sinister methods to show the world the greatness of their way of life.

Edited by Fred not Lynn, 10 August 2008 - 12:39 AM.

#38 shane88888

• 259 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

That first US swimmer in the relay was dominating and then fell apart her last 10 seconds in the water. What a letdown.

Please don't disparage Miss Coughlin, my personal favorite hot Olympian.

In seriousness, she did turn in a shitty split.

#39 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2782 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

A few other important points for us non-swimmers:

the material is water repellent, and the seams are sealed, which means it neither allows water in nor absorbs a single drop (read: near-zero drag);

the cut and placement of the elastic material contours a resting/tired body into the correct position for swimming;

the dasm thing is bouyant; that's right, it floats.

(Hope I got all those right, I read a piece of this suits in Sporting News a while back.)

EDIT: I believe it's TYR who also makes a version of the suit that's been very successful as well. Hilarity and law suits ensued.

Nike-sponsored swimmers are allowed to wear the LZR in competition (that's how badly Nike values its swimmers' WRs).

Many world class swimmers switch between the brands/suits, depending on the stroke. Cost is $500-800, and AFAIK they are not yet for sale to the general public.

As I understand it, the suits caused a huge freakin' broughhaha within the swimming community, as one might expect from a racing suit that FREAKIN' FLOATS......

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 10 August 2008 - 06:06 AM.

#40 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

USA just broke the world record in 4X100 freestyle without their 2 best swimmers.

#41 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Do bear in mind that Spitz had to deal with multiple eastern bloc state-sponsored sports systems, which weren't shy about using doping and other sinister methods to show the world the greatness of their way of life.

My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that the Soviet Bloc's doping program didn't really get going until the mid to late '70s. That's when we started to see some noticeable changes in the, um, women from some of the communist satellite countries.

In Spitz' day, there were only a handful of countries that really were players in the sport. Many more teams produce serious medal contenders now.

#42 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

Event: 4x100-meter freestyle relay

When: 11:33 p.m. ET

Possible spoilers: France, Australia, Italy, South Africa

Analysis: This race is the biggest obstacle for Michael Phelps in his quest for eight gold medals. The men's 4x100 freestyle relay has been a notoriously unpredicatable event over the past two Olympics, and this year should be no different. At least four teams have a realistic shot of winning gold in what should be the fastest relay race of all-time. The eight relay squads that qualified for the finals all set national records in the preliminary heats, despite some using their "B" lineups.

Three nations broke the previous world record in the prelims, with the U.S. narrowly edging out France and Australia for the top seed. Only one of the swimmers on that world record-setting team will swim in the finals for the United States. Cullen Jones earned that right by splitting the quickest time among the Americans. He will join Phelps, Jason Lezak and Garrett Weber-Gale in the finals.

http://sports.yahoo....4?urn=oly,99722

#43 LateRally

• 4158 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Re: Phelps vs. Spitz, IMO the competition is far deeper and more intense today than 30 years ago. Much more difficult to win gold in any given event these days. So if Phelps does pull off the 8 golds, or even just does it in his individual races, I say he edges Spitz comfortably as best swimmer ever (too difficult to compare athletes in other sports so I won't even try here). But he needs to go out and win the races first. And as we all know, at this kind of elite level in any sport, it's just as much mental as physical skill and preparation. I'm pulling for Phelps as much as anyone, but let's not annoint him anything just yet.

The most impressive thing about Spitz was breaking the WR in each of his races without the benefit of any significant step-change in technology at the time.

USA just broke the world record in 4X100 freestyle without their 2 best swimmers.

The French also broke the previous WR, also without their 2 best swimmers. The final is going to be a war. I say this event will be the biggest threat to Phelps' sweep attempt.

edit: yeah agree with the Yahoo analysis

Edited by LateRally, 10 August 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#44 shane88888

• 259 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

Re: Phelps vs. Spitz, IMO the competition is far deeper and more intense today than 30 years ago. Much more difficult to win gold in any given event these days. So if Phelps does pull off the 8 golds, or even just does it in his individual races, I say he edges Spitz comfortably as best swimmer ever (too difficult to compare athletes in other sports so I won't even try here).

It's Phelps' versatility that makes him more impressive. Swimming is a sport of specialization of both stroke and distance. Phelps holds the world record in the 200 free, 200 fly, 200 IM, and 400 IM. He used to hold the 100 fly record and is ranked #3 in the world in the 100 and 200 back. Nobody is that good across the board.

To me, it's Phelps' domination in the IM events and the 200 free (which, IMO, best measures the mix of speed and endurance) that really make him the most impressive ever.

I thought Lochte had him in the 400 IM; it was so close at the 200 and Lochte is better than Phelps in the breast. Then Phelps decides to remind everyone that he's the best ever and smokes the field in the breaststroke. Just incredible.

#45 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

I say this event will be the biggest threat to Phelps' sweep attempt.

Theoretically, Ian Crocker in the 100 fly should be the biggest threat. He holds the world record, which is about 4 tenths of a second better than Phelps' best. But Crocker has been known to falter in the big meets (Phelps caught him at the wall to win the gold in Athens) whereas Phelps is practically immune to pressure. If our guys smoke the frogs tonight, he's getting eight.

Edited by DegenerateSoxFan, 10 August 2008 - 06:47 PM.

#46 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9814 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

And also Crocker is the guy who called out Phelps saying he has no shot at 8 golds. NBC had a piece on Phelps last night detailing how Phelps has used that as his motivation for four years. If Phelps is in that same elite category like Tiger, Jordan, Gretzky, and Montana, then it will not be Crocker who denies him.

#47 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

And also Crocker is the guy who called out Phelps saying he has no shot at 8 golds. NBC had a piece on Phelps last night detailing how Phelps has used that as his motivation for four years. If Phelps is in that same elite category like Tiger, Jordan, Gretzky, and Montana, then it will not be Crocker who denies him.

Pretty sure it was Australia's Ian Thorpe who said Phelps had no chance at 8 golds, which is why Phelps delighted so much in destroying ALL of Thorpe's WRs at the World Championships.

Edited by Ahriman, 10 August 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#48 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

Pretty sure it was Australia's Ian Thorpe who said Phelps had no chance. at 8 golds, which is why he delighted so much in destroying ALL of Thorpe's WRs at the World Championships.

I think that's right. He didn't break all of Thorpe's records - the 400 free mark may stand for a bit and Phelps doesn't swim it. But the 200? People thought that Thorpe's mark, 1:44.06, was simply awesome. And then Phelps went 1:43.86 at the Worlds.

#49 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42455 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

It was Thorpe. I used to swim in the same pool as Crocker when I was a kid and went to high school and was in a band with him and he's absolutely the nicest, most humble person you will ever meet in your life. Most of the kids at our school didn't even know Ian swam. He'd never say something like that, especially with the respect I'm sure he has for Phelps.

Theoretically, Ian Crocker in the 100 fly should be the biggest threat. He holds the world record, which is about 4 tenths of a second better than Phelps' best. But Crocker has been known to falter in the big meets (Phelps caught him at the wall to win the gold in Athens) whereas Phelps is practically immune to pressure. If our guys smoke the frogs tonight, he's getting eight.

The issue Ian sometimes has is that he leaves early from the blocks, and some of those are questionable (like 2 thousandths of a second too fast). I wouldn't say he "falters" at most big meets, though. He's won his share of big meets. Phelps caught him in 2004 because it was just bad timing. Ian was starting to slow just a tad and Phelps was on the rise. Although Ian probably would have won more than 50% of the time, they were still very close. At this point, Ian has lost nearly a second off of his best time and will probably be fighting for silver, but you never know. Personally, I hope Ian does it, but I'm biased.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 10 August 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#50 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

I think that's right. He didn't break all of Thorpe's records - the 400 free mark may stand for a bit and Phelps doesn't swim it. But the 200? People thought that Thorpe's mark, 1:44.06, was simply awesome. And then Phelps went 1:43.86 at the Worlds.

Gotcha. But yeah, all the events in which they both compete(d), I think Phelps took him out of the books.

For what it's worth, I agree with Thorpe. It's just too much work. Combine that with the extra motivation the rest of the swimmers will have to squash Phelps pursuit of perfection and I really can't see it happening.