Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Sox in "serious" talks with Marlins; Enjoy the Miami nightlife, Manny

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
524 replies to this topic

#101 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Seems to me that if there is any substance behind the Manny-Kemp deal the LAD would also require the Sox to add some legit prospects. While some could argue that Manny + 7m would favor the LAD in 2008, Manny's inevitable departure in '09 would force Colletti to get players from the Sox to off-set the downstream loss of Kemp.

Manny +7m, Lowrie and Bowden for Kemp and Nomar. In 2009 the LAD would have to comfort themselves with the loss of Kemp with the unrealized potential of Lowrie and Bowden. The Sox would rid themselves of the plague that is Manny and have to see that Kemp is more than the combination of Lowrie and Bowden.

I am just trying to find the balance point in the equation.

#102 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,143 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

All your other points are well-taken, sober, and make perfect sense but aren't that much fun to think about.

My wife says much the same thing

#103 BoSox24

• 541 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Seems to me that if there is any substance behind the Manny-Kemp deal the LAD would also require the Sox to add some legit prospects. While some could argue that Manny + 7m would favor the LAD in 2008, Manny's inevitable departure in '09 would force Colletti to get players from the Sox to off-set the downstream loss of Kemp.

Manny +7m, Lowrie and Bowden for Kemp and Nomar. In 2009 the LAD would have to comfort themselves with the loss of Kemp with the unrealized potential of Lowrie and Bowden. The Sox would rid themselves of the plague that is Manny and have to see that Kemp is more than the combination of Lowrie and Bowden.

I am just trying to find the balance point in the equation.

Would LA receive compensation picks if he walks? If so they would be getting Manny for no $$$, Lowrie, Bowden, a 1st and sandwich pick for Kemp and Nomar?

Wow...talk about a deal.

I would do a Manny/Hansen for Kemp and a lower minor leaguer, but Kemp for Manny straight up makes the most sense.

#104 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,244 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

:)

Nomar, as much as I would love that, I tend to doubt the FO, or Nomar would look forward to that

#105 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3,182 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

You do realize Nomah has played less games this year that Kevin Cash, right?

EDIT: Furthermore SoxFan, as much as I love 97-04 Nomah, he hasnt put up numbers like that since.

Edited by opes, 29 July 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#106 allaboutthesox

• 2,656 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

Nomar, as much as I would love that, I tend to doubt the FO, or Nomar would look forward to that

I don't see Nomar going anywhere any time soon. Apparently he is out with a sprained MCL.

MCL Sprain

#107 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,037 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Maybe Cheri is behind it all.

#108 QUNate

• 722 posts

Nomar has a sprained knee ligament and might have to go on the DL. I doubt that the Red Sox would be thrilled about that.

#109 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

I forgot about the compensation picks. Oops. That would lower the demands for Sox prospects, but I would still think the LAD would need more than just Manny to part with Kemp.

The Nomar thing was a feeble attempt at humor.

#110 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3,182 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

Oh, sorry. Couldnt detect it. Ignore my DL snarkiness.

#111 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,565 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

My bad. You are correct. While there has been some talk about a 5th starter and another RP, the real need is offense as you state. We agree that Pierre and Jones are dead meat. The idea of the Sox trading Manny AND eating the remaining portion of his contract this year would 1) improve their offense and 2) be a salary-neutral acquisition (they resist taking on more salary obligations). But why would they rent Manny for Kemp. Colletti may be a poor GM and his very job may be in jeopardy but a Manny for Kemp deal seems like it doesn't solve the offensive problem well enough given that Kemp is a contributor to the offense. It is an upgrade, but Manny's defense in LA would lead to more runs against their staff. Clearly, the LAD do not have the financial muscle to add Manny long-term, so this would be a totally short-term fix for them.

Kemp (DOB 9-23-84)
2008: 292/347/466, 109 OPS+
2007: 323/362/515

Ellsbury (DOB 9-11-83)
2008: 264/330/361, 81 OPS+
2007: 299/357/418

2007 stats for each player are season totals, using BP's MLEs for minor-league stats.

It seems clear that Kemp is the more promising hitter, especially when you consider he is a year younger than Ellsbury. There are SSS issues, but BP rates Ellsbury as a better defender than Kemp, which I think is consistent with conventional wisdom.

I think Kemp brings more bat and less glove to the table than most posters here think. I would love to have him in a Sox uniform. In fact, I would gladly take back A.Jones to get the deal done. Much better to pay $18mm to have Kemp cost-controlled for his age 24-28 seasons than to give up two blue-chip prospects this winter for the right to pay Matt Holliday $140mm for his age 29-35 seasons.

#112 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,244 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

A good question is if the return on investment for Mark Teixeira is a 25 year old 1B, who has struggled to be anything but mediocre in his career, and a 25 year old minor league bullpen arm. Then what dowe really expect the return on Manny to be.

Manny has more potential than Teixeira, but of course also has all the negatives that have been pushed into the Press. If the Sox are paying Manny's contract, then he is cheaper; although Tex isn't due a ton the rest of the year.

If the Dodgers have any interest at all, which seems very debatable at the moment. Then I would agree with SoxFan57 that the Sox are probably going to have to come up with a sweetener to make the deal happen.

But I guess you never know when 1 GM is going to walk out and say F#&# what anyone else thinks the market price should be, I am going to make a deal.

#113 CYaz

• 48 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

I posted much of this in another thread yesterday, but it seems more relevant here:

I also have wondered if Ned Colletti's fondness for Proven Veterans and his need for a shortstop next year might present a trading opportunity with the Dodgers: Ramirez+Lugo for Kemp, LaRoche (who the Dodgers have consistently seemed to undervalue) & Andruw Jones would seem like a trade that might intrigue Colletti. Jones does not quite balance the salary that is coming to the Dodgers, but it may be the outline of a workable deal.

From the Sox perspective, the long-term upside in Kemp and LaRoche is obvious, although it would present a short-term loss as Kemp adjusts to the American League and LaRoche does not have a clear position on this year's club . . . and because Ramirez is still one of the best hitters in the league. Kemp would take over in LF and LaRouche would be 3B insurance for this year, which is needed now that Lowrie is the full-time SS for the next 4 weeks at least, and become the backup corner guy next year. Jones is deadweight unless he has a Lowell-like recovery, but at least is a RH backup OF who can give LHBs Drew and Ellsbury a break from time to time.

From Chavez Ravine, Jones seems to be even more of a bust than Lugo (though Lugo is slightly more expensive but offers at least league average shortshop over three years). Of course, that Lugo will not be back until mid-August is less than ideal for the Dodgers for this season (and presents some timing issues with the DL.) LaRouche has been long undervalued and the Dodgers now have Blake at 3b. And the Dodgers may demand pitching help - although if they would take Colon, Pauley or Hansack, that may not be a deal-breaker.

That said, I will be saddened to see Manny go, whenever that is, just as I was saddened to see Pedro move on.

#114 LahoudOrBillyC

• Indian name is Massages Ellsbury

• 3,855 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

I doubt that Dodger fans are quite ready to see Julio Lugo again, after his disastrous stop there in 2006.

#115 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

Not that I disagree with some of what you and others are saying, but how does having Boras as his agent make him more likely to go to the Yankees? Don't the Red Sox have more Boras clients?

My point re: Boras is that when he has an elite FA, that player goes to the highest bidder, full stop. When combined with a position that NY needs, that makes the result somewhat predictable beforehand. Also, for the record, Boras' client on the Sox are as follows:

Hansen: drafted, not an FA

Manny: contract signed when he was with Moorad

Dice-K: Boras had no leverage due to MLB posting rules

Drew: Wasn't a position of need for NYY, with Abreu, Damon, Matsui and Melky in the fold (and Sox were clearly the highest bidder, consistent with Boras' MO)

Maybe I'm missing someone, but I'm pretty sure the Sox have never won a bidding war for a Boras client when NY was interested.

#116 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9,995 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

I doubt that Dodger fans are quite ready to see Julio Lugo again, after his disastrous stop there in 2006.

On the other hand, Alex Cora had a few decent seasons in Dodger blue. :rolleyes:

#117 AZBlue

• 1,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

The Angels have traded for Mark Teixeira.

ESPN link to trade story

Edited by AZBlue, 29 July 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#118 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

The Red Sox appear serious about trading slugger Manny Ramirez and are talking to the Phillies and two other teams about a deal, according to people familiar with the talks.

The Phillies may be the front-runner for Ramirez, who has told people he probably will OK a deal to Philadelphia if the teams can agree on a trade.

It is also believed that the Dodgers and the Marlins are the other teams involved in the Ramirez Sweepstakes. The Marlins appear to be a longshot.

While no deal involving Ramirez has been consummated, it appears to be gaining steam.

Source: http://sportsillustr...gers/index.html

#119 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

A Phillies official told ESPN.com Tuesday night persistent reports that the Phillies are pursuing Manny Ramirez are "false" and said the Phillies have "nothing doing" with the Red Sox involving Ramirez or any other player.

Meanwhile, a baseball man who speaks regularly with the Dodgers' front office said that the Dodgers also have no interest in trading for Ramirez, despite reports to the contrary.

The two other teams linked to Ramirez, the Mets and Diamondbacks, had previously denied interest. So while the Red Sox continue to float Ramirez's name around baseball, there were no indications Tuesday that they're making any significant headway.

Source: http://sports.espn.g..._trade_deadline

#120 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,659 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

I forgot about the compensation picks. Oops. That would lower the demands for Sox prospects, but I would still think the LAD would need more than just Manny to part with Kemp.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe that whichever team does not pick up Manny's option (should that happen) will be allowed to offer him arbitration and, thus, will not be eligible for compensation. I think the rule is that a player must be eligible for free agency the second the season ends and that the Sox, or any other team, cannot decline his option until after that.

Is there anyone who is sure of the rule? I can't find it on the internets, although I'm sure it's out there.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 29 July 2008 - 10:01 PM.

#121 amarshal2

• 2,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe that whichever team does not pick up Manny's option (should that happen) will be allowed to offer him arbitration and, thus, will not be eligible for compensation. I think the rule is that a player must be eligible for free agency the second the season ends and that the Sox, or any other team, cannot decline his option until after that.

Is there anyone who is sure of the rule? I can't find it on the internets, although I'm sure it's out there.

You can reject team options and offer arbitration thus netting the picks when he turns it down.

#122 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,072 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

I know Sean McAdam was asked this very same question on WEEI's Sunday Morning Baseball Show, and he replied that he checked with front office sources and they confirmed that the team declining his option would indeed get the compensatory draft picks. I believe it is because they have until the deadline to offer him arbitration. If they decline the option and offer arbitration by that deadline, they are eligible for the picks.

I couldn't find an online source to back it up though.

Edit: Yeah, what amarshal said.

Edited by The Four Peters, 29 July 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#123 Bowlerman9

• bitchslapped by Keith Law

• 5,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

You can decline an option, offer FA, and get draft picks. The Yankees did this with David Wells. It has happened more recently, I just dont remember who off the top of my head. But its 100% legal.

#124 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

I had never heard that "rule" before, the deadline is like December 5th to offer arbitration, so I don't see what the end of the season has to do with anything.

#125 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,659 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:26 PM

Thanks, guys. Someone mentioned in an ESPN chat today (Crasnick?) that he thought the Sox would not be eligible, but I hadn't seen or heard any positive answer to the question. Good to know.

I had never heard that "rule" before, the deadline is like December 5th to offer arbitration, so I don't see what the end of the season has to do with anything.

December 1. I was just unsure if a player had to be eligible to be a FA immediately after the season. That question has now been answered.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 29 July 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#126 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:58 AM

The Dodgers don't appear to be serious contenders to land Boston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez.

Source: http://www.latimes.c...0,5723624.story

#127 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:00 AM

WASHINGTON -- Manny Ramirez could be coming to Philadelphia. But probably not.

A team source laughed at the notion that the Phillies were the "front-runner" in the sweepstakes to land the enigmatic Red Sox slugger, as reported by SI.com. The team's source called SI.com's story "untrue" and added that the Phillies aren't involved in talks to land Ramirez.

ESPN's Jayson Stark, also citing a Phillies official, called the report "false."

Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...sp&c_id=mlb

#128 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:08 AM

The Philadelphia Phillies are making a hard charge for disgruntled Boston Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez. The New York Mets also have been working the Manny angle. As much as the Ramirez saga has been hyped to no avail in recent seasons, it looks as if he will be sent elsewhere this time.

http://www.suntimes....eluca30.article

That is in the middle of an article talking about how the Cubs need to do something. Probably just relaying all the stuff floating around.

#129 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:07 AM

Déjà vu all over again: One Red Sox official says it's a "longshot" that the team will trade left fielder Manny Ramirez. The Mets probably represent the Sox's best hope, but Mets officials continue to insist they are not interested.

Ramirez will waive his no-trade clause if a team agrees to make him a free agent at the end of the season, major-league sources say, and the Red Sox are willing to pay a significant portion of the approximately $7 million remaining on his contract.

Here's the problem: While any team that acquired Ramirez would get an extremely motivated player, the Red Sox would need a significant return to justify trading him.

"They won't move Manny," one rival exec says. "No one is going to give them anything for him. And they know they can't win without him.

"All they have to do is put up with him for two more months. This will all quiet down in a few days, there will be hugs and kisses and he'll be gone at the end season."

Source: http://msn.foxsports...b/story/8391628

#130 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,143 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:27 AM

"All they have to do is put up with him for two more months. This will all quiet down in a few days, there will be hugs and kisses and he'll be gone at the end season."

Is there anyone pink enough to fall for yet another Manny kumbiya no-trade media event?

#131 paulftodd

• 133% banned

• 1,470 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:12 AM

Manny as a FA could end up in the AL East next year. Why would they take a chance that Manny could end up with the Yankees?

#132 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:21 AM

"He can play on my team any day," Pedro said last night when asked about the talk that refuses to die of his former Boston mate becoming a Met.

Sources say a deal to bring Ramirez to Queens remains unlikely, mainly because the Amazin's most likely would have to part with center fielder Carlos Beltran or decimate their farm system.

If the Red Sox were to take prospects, they almost surely would want prized lefty Jon Niese or outfielder Fernando Martinez - two players the Mets continue to insist are untouchable.

The time frame to swing a deal also is running short, considering tomorrow is the non-waiver trade deadline. That doesn't leave much opportunity to swing what would be an intricate deal because Ramirez has a no-trade clause.

But Met GM Omar Minaya has never hidden his fondness for the 36-year-old Ramirez, despite Ramirez's notorious flakiness.

Plus, it's a win-now league, and Minaya - who already has fired a manager this season - is feeling pressure to win now.

"Omar loves Manny," a team source said yesterday. "If there's even the slightest chance to get him, [Minaya]is at least going to look into it."

"Manny is a great teammate and a great human being, too," Martinez said.

http://www.nypost.co...deal_122174.htm

#133 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,565 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

Manny as a FA could end up in the AL East next year. Why would they take a chance that Manny could end up with the Yankees?

Because Manny is a 10/5 guy and can veto any trade, the FO has no way to prevent it, short of picking up Manny's 2009 option and keeping him in a Red Sox uniform.

#134 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,941 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

Are you saying the Red Sox should pick up Manny's option just to keep him away from the NYY? Obviously we'd all prefer that Manny not end up there but if the NYY want to give Manny 4/$100, they can knock themselves out.

#135 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,772 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

The MFY might figure that addition by subtraction is good enough, and not go after a the 37 year-old Manny. And they may not want to give up picks and let the Sox get younger while they get Manny.

Although an outfield of Matsui-Melky-Manny might be fun to watch in the Toilet.

I fear for safety of Melky in the middle. :rolling:

#136 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 4,918 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

I don't understand how Manny thinks he's getting 4/100 if any seriously wants him they'd be crazy not to trade for him now and pick up his options like the Sox can, unless everyone just assumes he's gonna sulk and Sheffield it if he doesn't get paid.

Isn't this just like the Sheff option where a good player can be had for two 1 year deals, ie the Yanks picked up the option and traded him to the Tigers and got prospects. Why wouldn't the Sox just do that. If Manny wants out then his 10/5 right aren't worth crap.

The only reason to trade him now is a good return/ need to turn over a new leaf a la 2004. I don't see anyway Manny ends up a FA, this also keeps him from the Yanks (not that I'd be that bothered if they got him at the cost of 4/100 and picks)

#137 exGloucester

• 1,184 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

Is there anyone pink enough to fall for yet another Manny kumbiya no-trade media event?

I am that pink. The makeup sex on this one is going to be fantastic.

#138 Green Monster

• 1,553 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

I don't understand how Manny thinks he's getting 4/100 if any seriously wants him they'd be crazy not to trade for him now and pick up his options like the Sox can

Manny is not going to waive his 10/5 rights unless the team trading for him declines the 2009 option.

#139 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,123 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

I don't see anyway Manny ends up a FA, this also keeps him from the Yanks (not that I'd be that bothered if they got him at the cost of 4/100 and picks)

All Manny has to do is get more than $40M in his next deal to be ahead of where he is now. He is trying to lock down as much guaranteed money now as he can so that in the event he gets hurt or declines sharply in his 38-39 year old seasons (not out of the realm of possibliity, right?) he still has guaranteed income inked.

#140 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,624 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

All Manny has to do is get more than $40M in his next deal to be ahead of where he is now. He is trying to lock down as much guaranteed money now as he can so that in the event he gets hurt or declines sharply in his 38-39 year old seasons (not out of the realm of possibliity, right?) he still has guaranteed income inked.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Manny is holding it. And Boras, of course, would not get any money if the Sox pick up one or both of those options (that would be Moorad's money) while he'd get his usual commission on any new contract so you know what HE'S recommending to Manny.

Not surprisingly, when Manny switched agents from Moorad to Manny his view of the options changed as well.

#141 genoasalami

• 603 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

You would think that after making over $170 million in his career that he would accept a few million a year less during the years leading up to his retirement to play in a city that he enjoys, that has a legit shot at making the World Series, and offers a comfortable life style and opportunities for his family.

Manny could care less if he ever plays in another postseason game. All he wants is his $100 mill for the next 4 years. Manny would be more than happy to stay in Boston to finish his career, the trouble is he knows he has limited leverage and the $20 mill he would get if the Sox picked up his option is not enough to make him happy.

#142 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

The Phillies and Marlins are two of a few teams engaged in trade talks regarding embattled superstar Manny Ramirez, SI.com has learned. The Dodgers also showed interest in Ramirez, but they appear to be less involved than those other two National League teams now.

Boston is shopping Ramirez but people familiar with the talks indicate there's still a decent chance Ramirez remains with the Red Sox.

The Red Sox identified Philly as a possible landing spot for Ramirez in recent days, following Ramirez's recent public battles with his team. But the inclusion of the low-budget Marlins in talks, first reported Tuesday on SI.com, is a stunner in that they have a baseball-low $22-million payroll. It's possible the Red Sox could agree to pay most or all of the $7 million remaining on Ramirez's $20-million 2008 salary.

The Dodgers' interest was never a surprise in that their owner Frank McCourt has collected Red Sox since buying the team. Matt Kemp's name is believed to have come up in talks with the Dodgers.

Source: http://sportsillustr...odgers/?cnn=yes

#143 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

The deadline to trade Manny Ramirez is essentially today at 4 p.m. ET. As a 10-5 guy (10 years in the majors, five with the same team), Ramirez has the right to veto any deal. If he waives a trade to a team, he must sign paperwork 24 hours prior to the deal. So at the least, Ramirez will have to officially waive his no-trade rights to teams he would be willing to go to by 4 p.m. ET today.

It is possible that Ramirez has already signed away his no-trade rights to certain teams, but it is unknown if he has done so.

Source: http://sports.espn.g..._trade_deadline

#144 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

If he waives a trade to a team, he must sign paperwork 24 hours prior to the deal.

This is the dumbest rule I've ever heard.

#145 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

This is the dumbest rule I've ever heard.

I don't buy it.

#146 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,123 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

I don't buy it.

me neither. I could see the Sox telling teams they want a deal set by 4PM today so that they have 24 hours to get Manny on board and also try to set up any other moves they would have to make... but I've never heard this stuff about a player needing to agree to waive his 10/5 rights early. those types of guys get moved every year and I've never heard of such a thing.

#147 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

And now ESPN has taken down the "deadline" nonsense.

#148 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Remy on EEI: "He was happy, fun, i don't know what happened but it's a totally different guy... I saw him yesterday, he asked me if he was traded, I said you got two more days and you don't want to really go.... he said yes I do, I want to find peace."

#149 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

Remy on EEI: "He was happy, fun, i don't know what happened but it's a totally different guy... I saw him yesterday, he asked me if he was traded, I said you got two more days and you don't want to really go.... he said yes I do, I want to find peace."

I guess "peace" is code for "I want to find more money than 2/$40MM"

#150 genoasalami

• 603 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

If they do not trade him and he is miserable and he ends up getting booed for whatever reason, then this may be one ugly ending.

I personally think there is a decent chance he will be gone by tomorrow. It may be to the point that Boras has told the Sox that if you do not find a place for him then this may end up being not very attractive.